• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReiGun

ftYIg.png

Well, well now.

But it's a better twitch shooter than CoD and Titanfall, and it scratches similar skinner box itches.

no way. i've been having some fun with the beta but it's not on that level at all. and it's a stepdown from the halo franchise's god-tier weapons too for bungie.

strobogo

Banned
I was wondering if anyone has dealt with long term depression and anxiety in this thread?
how do you bring this shit up in a serious manner but spare other peoples feelings in the process ?

I don't think you should feel like you need to spare the feelings of others while discussing such things. I mean, moms don't want to hear their babies saying "I wish I was dead", but friends/siblings should be able to have that discussion with you. I think the key to couch it in a "I've been having these thoughts/feelings" and not going full in talking about laying on the bathroom floor for an hour hoping your roof will cave in on you or something.

For me, I don't bother with talking to family about it. The one time I did, I let them know I was put on anti-depressants and for the next 3 years I got "You're all better now, right?" even though these same people asking me had also dealt with chronic depression their whole lives and knew that was a stupid ass question to be asking.

GAF is fucking terrible at posts about mental health issues. Any time there is a thread (outside of the Mental Health OT, but even in there sometimes) about someone snapping or whatever, so many drive-bys that are completely ignorant to depression or any mental illness in general. Specific examples are the Shia LeBuffy and Lana Del Rey threads. Go read those and see how many people say shit about how they CAN'T be depressed or have any kind of mental problem, because they are famous and have a ton of money, so fuck them. There are so many people who think that being depressed or otherwise mentally ill is just for poor and/or weak people who can't afford help, but if you are rich, you have all the money in the world to get fixed right away. Or people that think depression is exclusively a situational and passing thing. No concept of people having chemical imbalances that cause them to be depressed all the time for no external reasons. That's just not a thing to a whole lot of Gaffers. Just doesn't exist.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Another thing.

You can be depressed or have another mental illness, but that doesn't mean you have zero personal responsibility or accountability because of it. Especially to yourself.

No one is gonna take better care of yourself than you. Some people want to wake up 'cured', happy, and celebrated. That isn't how shit works.

Edit: I'd also take the consideration and time to condition people for that conversation.

And Mumei's picture pretty much sums up my mom telling people about her bipolar disorder lol

besada

Banned
And Mumei's picture pretty much sums up my mom telling people about her bipolar disorder lol

Part of the reason my wife left (she came back) during my complete bipolar breakdown was that she couldn't take me talking about wanting to be dead any more. It's rough on the loved ones of those of us with mood disorders. That cartoon is spot fucking on, though.

Oh, and Devo, I was sleeping. I'll roust that pj dude when I get to work.

got no PS4 friends, pls send requests breh

PSN: ViewtifulJC

DY_nastyIV

I hope to be playing some this weekend

My PSN is Jaybird-5038.

Fuck Sony for not letting me change my shitty name

Thought you were drake something...

PSN:Kursk

@yukakuramoti.

My PSN is UncannySilk for the PS3 destiny players

PS4 players, add omicronpro pls I cant solo on hard much longer lol

Anyone on ps3, feel free to add me: Mortemisiv

Should have a ps4 by the time destiny launches.

PSN: kenjen2015 add me. I went though all of FIFA 14 with no friends. I can't do that for Destiny.

I'd prefer if like Warframe, they matchmade 2 other players to do co-op missions with at the start, I don't want to find someone to play with every time.

RP912

Banned
I was wondering if anyone has dealt with long term depression and anxiety in this thread?
how do you bring this shit up in a serious manner but spare other peoples feelings in the process ?

Been and still go through it. It's like war between myself, my mind and my spirit sometimes. Its hard to talk to folks about my issues because in a sick way I hate advice especially when I usually give it out and try to help out people around me. I been going through for the past few weeks financially, family wise, and mentally....the way I try to cope is finding something I love to do and make it an umbrella until the rain stops.

Infinite

I accepted that my family will probably be no help to my issues with depression and anxiety so I seek help elsewhere from people who are close to me and understanding

Mumei

Part of the reason my wife left (she came back) during my complete bipolar breakdown was that she couldn't take me talking about wanting to be dead any more. It's rough on the loved ones of those of us with mood disorders. That cartoon is spot fucking on, though.

Oh, and Devo, I was sleeping. I'll roust that pj dude when I get to work.

I forgot to link to the actual pages. It's funny and captures my experience with depression perfectly.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy

I've had it super long term. Mumei's pic is real as fuck, in regards to interaction with people.

In bmore for this art scape thing again, its hot. Damn you summer.

Damn. I'm supposed to be there later. Not looking forward to the heat. D:

I forgot to link to the actual pages. It's funny and captures my experience with depression perfectly.

Reading these got me wondering if I'm depressed. Like, clinically, not on a personal level. I can still feel and I like to think I'm above-averagely empathic (empathetic?), and there's no doubt in my mind that I'm self-aware as hell, but I feel kind of anomalous about it. My self-awareness usually suppresses my humanity. Not in a "why are you doing that you're so dumb" way, it's more of a "reality is just binary action and reaction compressed lossily by entropy" sort of thing. I feel more meta than dulled. Like, in real life, I'm not just talking about me being a meta piece of shit on GAF.

I got depressed around the time I hit puberty and got over it with antidepressants, but that felt more explicitly depressing. This is like... equalizing.

Slayven

I spent alot of my childhood and teen years in and out hospitals for depression, and a host of other mental stuff. Still deal with it and it is hard.

Spinluck

Oh yeah, Destiny is pretty good.

I usually get bored of shooting AI enemies, but these fuckers don't play.

The PVP is also really fun to me, BUT FUCK THAT MAP WITH THE VEHICLES AND FUCK YOU IF YOU USE THEM.

besada

Banned

But trying to use willpower to overcome the apathetic sort of sadness that accompanies depression is like a person with no arms trying to punch themselves until their hands grow back.

I'm totally using this next time I talk about depression. I was talking about this very thing with my brother last night, who called and had a little breakdown on the phone, because his girl left him and his cat died in the same week.

The enemies AI is surprising. I like the big guys are like "SQUAD!!!" and send the minions while he hangs back in the cut taking potshots.

I'm not big on Destiny (I'll try and do a writeup later), but a big part of Bungie Magic(TM) is awesome AI. If you want a challenge that feels surprisingly human and not "why does the AI have so much health oh my god," try out Halo Reach.

RP912

Banned
It's like what Joe Budden said,

I guess depression just stepped in
And took over shit like it's known to do
Guess it said, hey Joe, I'm goin home with you
Turn your phone off, I need to be alone with you
I need to be in the zone with you
Cause I'm the only thing you've prone to nigga, look I own you nigga

The worst thing about depression is that it becomes a security blanket. Especially for me where most of the time I see the bad in everything and fail to look at the good in shit. It's a dangerous lifestyle to grow accustomed to. It gets frustrating when you constantly feel like you are the only one dealing with the shit when there's millions of people enduring the same thing.

Trey

no way. i've been having some fun with the beta but it's not on that level at all. and it's a stepdown from the halo franchise's god-tier weapons too for bungie.

I agree that it's a step down from Halo, but I'm still giving it the edge to CoD. Especially when the full game releases.

It's really depressing to me that Destiny's benchmark at this point is "not as good as Halo, but better than CoD." The fact that Halo actually started getting coddly near the end of Bungie's run is such a shame.

I've been watching some Destiny let's plays and while Bungie seems to be the anti-Nintendo in that they're trying to bring random online socialization back, everything is just so safe compared to Halo. The combative enemies are either knife n' rifle-toting humanoids or abstract, simply geometric robots with no in-between. While the playable races were pretty homogenized in Halo, you at least had some diversity with wonky races like the Jackals and Hunters thrown in. The enemy types I've seen so far look insanely "rubber forehead alien" and not alien alien. The Elites and Brutes had neat dynamics among ranks with bosses getting more vibrant, ornate colors and armor along with exotic weaponry, while bosses like Riksis are literally just tropes like "big Fallen with more health."

That being said, Destiny absolutely strikes me as the game Halo would have tried to be if Bungie had a huge budget, all the time in the world and complete creative control, so I can't necessarily say I'm surprised by it. Bungie had a nice little exception-to-prove-the-rule with Halo, but everything else of theirs is just way too "throw some fantasy, space lore and Ghost in the Shell on a dartboard and see what sticks" for me. The Fallen Devil Walker is literally a Star Wars Tachikoma. Bungie's stuff always comes out best when they've got restrictions on content placed by the big wigs upstairs and they're in perma-crunchtime with a more humble budget, which is how you end up with titles like Combat Evolved and ODST. If you start giving them the wheel, they start veering too far into baroque territory and get things like Halo Reach and Destiny. Maybe my opinion will change later down the line, but after seeing recent examples of classic arena shooter-esque combat making a return like with Wolfenstein: The New Order, it's equal parts sobering and somber seeing Bungie coming up with Star Warderlands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom