• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I hit my limit on hitting on openly religious girls for now after approaching this chick then seeing cross earrings

what did cross earrings ever do to you? lol

maybe i navigate people better than most, but i swear i've run into religion as an issue with someone else 4 times in my life total.

2 of those were because they thought that i was much more religious because of my father's pastoral background (he's agnostic too but you'd never know it by any sermon he's ever given)

Furyous

I need to get out of town... quickly. I'm not on the run necessarily and have anywhere between two to four weeks to make a decision. I'm close to Washington, Oregon, and Utah. Seattle is allegedly an 8 hour drive away which I find to be complete bullshit but whatever. I got real bored and tired of a lack of culture/women that aren't 18-22. That's a sheltered 18-22 by the way. I can't be "dating" a woman that was born during the same time 2pac died. Key word to remember is "dating".

Does anyone know of any jobs looking for candidates from out of state that's not the army or peace corps?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I need to get out of town... quickly. I'm not on the run necessarily and have anywhere between two to four weeks to make a decision. I'm close to Washington, Oregon, and Utah. Seattle is allegedly an 8 hour drive away which I find to be complete bullshit but whatever. I got real bored and tired of a lack of culture/women that aren't 18-22. That's a sheltered 18-22 by the way. I can't be "dating" a woman that was born during the same time 2pac died. Key word to remember is "dating".

Does anyone know of any jobs looking for candidates from out of state that's not the army or peace corps?

lol what in the hell

EloquentM

aka Mannny

I don't ...even...

Slayven

We not going to see mentioned on a new ep of the first 48 are we?

Kraftwerk

homer-simpson-bush-gif.gif

What you did bruh

Order

Take pictures of the Space Needle for us.

Damn bruh just turn yourself in

Mumei

I was wondering if anyone has dealt with long term depression and anxiety in this thread?
how do you bring this shit up in a serious manner but spare other peoples feelings in the process ?

*raises hand*

And I have no idea. I think Ally Brosh captured the issue of talking about suicidal thoughts perfectly:

ADTWO32.png

ADTWO33.png

I actually remember saying those things in the first picture. And thought the things in the second, but I didn't use try to reassure anyone by saying it!

I think that part of the difficulty with talking to not-depressed people about depression (or suicidal ideation) is that not-depressed people just don't think like depressed people. They have silly ideas like thinking that putting the situation in perspective is helpful. Or that willing you to cheer up is helpful. Or that telling you about wonderful things that you could miss out on in the future is helpful. Or just generally going into full-court-press denial that you really have anything to be depressed about (and if you don't, it's not helpful!). It's funny that this always bothered me, because it turns out that this is precisely what suicide hotline volunteers are trained not to do.

I'd recommend trying to find a therapist. I think you're the best judge about whether family or friends would be good or bad to tell, but at least if you're seeing a therapist you'll be able to say you're doing something proactive to the people who have a kneejerk panic response to depression. And the therapy can potentially be helpful in and of itself, of course.

what did cross earrings ever do to you? lol

maybe i navigate people better than most, but i swear i've run into religion as an issue with someone else 4 times in my life total.

2 of those were because they thought that i was much more religious because of my father's pastoral background (he's agnostic too but you'd never know it by any sermon he's ever given)
I've dealt with at least a dozen times to the point I made sure it stopped by just not talking and extreme silence if questioned. This was during the rise of the mega churches here and you couldn't throw dirt without hitting someone that went to one. The earrings were like a Vietnam flashback

I've dealt with at least a dozen times to the point I made sure it stopped by just not talking and extreme silence if questioned. This was during the rise of the mega churches here and you couldn't throw dirt without hitting someone that went to one. The earrings were like a Vietnam flashback

Crosses were a big trend for womens fashion few months back or so.

Maybe she's just late.

Furyous

We not going to see mentioned on a new ep of the first 48 are we?

What you did bruh

Take pictures of the Space Needle for us.

Damn bruh just turn yourself in

#FreeFuryous

Fury you good?

Thanks for the well wishes. I just need to get away from all the boredom and into a more productive, efficient, environment reflective of the modern black male. In other words, I'm not in trouble because I made a concerted effort to leave the hood shit alone after my adventures in a certain midwestern city. Besides, I'm black and we stand out too much in this post racial surveillance state (no Alex Jones). I just need to take off because I'm going crazy over here with boredom.

Now with that said, I may or may not have known a friend's cousin's baby mama's aunt's daughter's cousin's great grandfather's wife's third niece that had to take an involuntary vacation to Mexico on short notice via a greyhound bus route in an unknown city in the middle of the semester. That's a fairy tale from the past that I overheard at a lunch table in the middle of the day in case any district attorney's are watching this.

---

Fuck Joe Rogan and his show with Jim Norton. Comedians kill me defending each other when some bullshit happens. A comedian could rob a bank and they will blame the bank talking about why was security so lax? Rogan defends Anthony Cumia by talking about how violence is an extreme problem in the black community.

Gorillaz

what did you do :3

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Good things mostly but still scary in the fact that things are changing around the same time.

You preg ?

And thanks mumei & infinite. I cracked the door on some issues today and I wasn't prepared for the reaction that I received. Will be in the process of seeking help in the near future. Those cartoons... Yeah, pretty much.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Can I go one damn day reading this thread without ending up on somebody's government watchlist?

i have a cousin who is a lawyer.

Furyous

i have a cousin who is a lawyer.

After re-reading my post, I want to clarify that my consensual intimate relationship age limit is 21 years and six months technically. I used the age range to highlight the lack of young professionals in my environment. College students are cool but I'm trying to get surrounded by cougars and professionals doing legit work in their fields.

Gorillaz

Not gonna front but after playing a bit of the Destiny beta I feel that after like a day or so I will be done with it. Putting this shit in a redbox list but still watching out for it. Hopefully the full game has a bit more differences in guns,appearance and all of that because the beta selection (which yes I know is small) wasn't doing it for me. Well see how the full game goes but I don't know if I would call this a 'serious borderlands' for now because the cynical part of me feels the options between certain guns and appearances won't vary as much as BL. Even tho BL is kind of in a world of it's own with all of it's 'choices' I'm wondering if this will even have that much of a difference between one gun of a family or another.

PVP wise shit might honestly be a mess once people get the meta game down and start rolling with full teams decked with crazy abilities. Level/Unlock curve will fuck people up down the road

Trey

PVP wise shit might honestly be a mess once people get the meta game down and start rolling with full teams decked with crazy abilities. Level/Unlock curve will fuck people up down the road

It'll be rough. Those supers alone are going to cause a whole lot of frustration.

But it's a better twitch shooter than CoD and Titanfall, and it scratches similar skinner box itches.

It will do well.

andthebeatgoeson

I was wondering if anyone has dealt with long term depression and anxiety in this thread?
how do you bring this shit up in a serious manner but spare other peoples feelings in the process ?
Not long term but I've had a seven year process to be able to talk about it without disintegrating. I've been blessed to be around people I can trust. And everyone's process is probably remarkably different. Some do well on meds or therapy. I would stress therapy because not being connected to them just allows you to release.

Most of the time I've shared it with other friends or family, they look either overwhelmed, impotent, befuddled or all of the above. Hell, my wife is a psychiatrist and it still perplexes her (tho, it's hard when it hits close to home).

So, short answer: give them small bites and see if they are interested.

You ever watch that clip of Howard Stern talking about depression and suicidality, where Robin breaks down? The epitome of taking friends or family on a 0-60 mph ride through all your emotions you've endure over months in a few short moments where the common response is checking out to avoid the pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom