• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infinite

tumblr_n8skf2FOju1qcxitoo1_500.jpg

royalan

Those guys in baggy pants, looking like thugs?

Those are my uncles. My cousins. My friends. Me.

Those are the men in my life who encouraged me to work hard, succeed, and be better tomorrow than I was yesterday. Those are the men in my life who taught me how to be a man in conjunction with all the Indomitable Queen I have in me.

They are REAL PEOPLE. They're not a headline. They're not a cautionary tale. They're not something that you've been told to fear. They're not something you learn to avoid. They're people. With feelings, and thoughts, and loved ones, and families, and a perspective on how they want to live their own fucking lives, and so goddamn what if it doesn't conform to what you consider to be an educated person? And how could you even think to bring that shit into the black culture thread? The fucking disrespect is off the goddamn charts.

I could put up with these plays at honest ignorance in OT, but not in here.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
So, I've been thinking. Perhaps it is my age group (I'm 22), but I find many african-american men are still are trying to have that "OG" persona and fit into the common stereotype. I am not black, nor am I even male, so I won't act like I know what's it's like to be either in american society, but do any of you find that it is/was hard to move out of that stereotype (if you fit it at all)? Do black men tend to move beyond that persona as they mature, or is it static?

I simply ask because I find myself attracted to black men, however I am not attracted to the "gangsta" style of the masses in my age group... maybe this is a regional thing but I think not. I have lived in the Midwest all my life, always around big cities (Milwaukee, Chicago, Minneapolis, etc.) though the black population has never been particularly large in the suburbs. Perhaps I am just being exposed to such a small percentage that it seems like the majority are "Gs" but in reality, perhaps the majority really doesn't follow this trend?

I guess the stereotype I'm talking about exudes an immature and uneducated vibe. This may not be true and of course, who am I to judge anyone by how they dress or act, but it's what turns me away. In fact, I know it is not true a lot of the time. I went to high school in a wealthy area with black classmates that adopted the "G" look and persona. They were well educated, came from good backgrounds...I guess it's just how they liked to identify. Why would you willingly choose to fit yourself into a stereotype that is often looked down upon?

What do you all think? Hope I'm not offending anyone with this post, that's not my intention what so ever.

I know I'm late, but..

gdb.gif

Those guys in baggy pants, looking like thugs?

Those are my uncles. My cousins. My friends. Me.

Those are the men in my life who encouraged me to work hard, succeed, and be better tomorrow than I was yesterday. Those are the men in my life who taught me how to be a man in conjunction with all the Indomitable Queen I have in me.

They are REAL PEOPLE. They're not a headline. They're not a cautionary tale. They're not something that you've been told to fear. They're not something you learn to avoid. They're people. With feelings, and thoughts, and loved ones, and families, and a perspective on how they want to live their own fucking lives, and so goddamn what if it doesn't conform to what you consider to be an educated person? And how could you even think to bring that shit into the black culture thread? The fucking disrespect is off the goddamn charts.

I could put up with these plays at honest ignorance in OT, but not in here.

Chill before you get banned man...this fight is fixed
ibsMLwjvjBK8H0.png

Jado

Banned
Amazing how you can discern she's a secret racist by one post asking a question on the internet.

I can assure you she isn't. But carry on.

I don't see how he's calling her a racist. He said she should take her shit to OffTopic where she would have gotten the soft, agreeable answers she was looking for with her loaded, presumptous questions and remarks.

I gotta say, Molly, that your assertions that people that partake in urban culture seem stupid and uneducated do border on common racist rhetoric in America and reveal a huge level of ignorance on your part. Revealing your age is very telling because I may have probably posted something more idiotic than you when I was 22. Next time ask yourself why you think a certain type of black culture is worse than any other and why you're making way off-base assumptions on how your black acquaintances "should" be behaving. Frankly, I think you're looking for a black guy who you feel "acts white," a whole other bullshit can of worms.

Is there a lurker buddy system?

I can't get too mad at young ignorance; there are literal bubbles out there, especially in the midwest. I've been through pockets where all you see are people that look like video extras-but that's all it is, a look. Have to make an effort to actually know people.

That really shouldn't have to be said, though.

Satch

Banned
where is wrassle gaf

i want to know more about this Roman Reigns character 👀

i may have to get back into watching for his beautiful face

Gorillaz

where is wrassle gaf

i want to know more about this Roman Reigns character ��

i may have to get back into watching for his beautiful face ��
They are pushing him to be the next "big one"

You should ask even some of them in the thread about Roman Reigns, just for the snarky as hell replies lol

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
where is wrassle gaf

i want to know more about this Roman Reigns character 👀

He is their next 'big thing.' He also came from a faction that has some Bieber levels of fangirls. He's being primed to be the top guy when Cena's gone, whether he will or not, who knows.

He also has four moves. The Superman punch, the spear, some kick thing, and he calls female interviewers 'babygirl'.

where is wrassle gaf

i want to know more about this Roman Reigns character ��

Roman snags another one :|

He is their next 'big thing.' He also came from a faction that has some Bieber levels of fangirls. He's being primed to be the top guy when Cena's gone, whether he will or not, who knows.

He also has four moves. The Superman punch, the spear, some kick thing, and he calls female interviewers 'babygirl'.

the lazy dropkick.

Kreed

Thank you for your responses...but I think I should probably butt out of this thread before I start anymore trouble accidentally. Sorry all.

While you may have said something that is unpopular and gotten negative reactions, you were being truthful with your questions and wanted honest opinions, and for that reason I hope you don't "butt out" of the thread if you do want more answers/want to genuinely be informed. There are some people that show up into this thread just to start shit (gloating about getting members banned/etc...) and those people are the ones that should "butt out" and some of the regulars here are weary because of these situations. But you shouldn't be afraid to ask questions/have discussion here whether it is unpopular or not if you are serious. Particularly because this is the BCT and yes, if you want an answer to a question about black culture on GAF, THIS is the place to ask.

So, I've been thinking. Perhaps it is my age group (I'm 22), but I find many african-american men are still are trying to have that "OG" persona and fit into the common stereotype. I am not black, nor am I even male, so I won't act like I know what's it's like to be either in american society, but do any of you find that it is/was hard to move out of that stereotype (if you fit it at all)? Do black men tend to move beyond that persona as they mature, or is it static?

I simply ask because I find myself attracted to black men, however I am not attracted to the "gangsta" style of the masses in my age group... maybe this is a regional thing but I think not. I have lived in the Midwest all my life, always around big cities (Milwaukee, Chicago, Minneapolis, etc.) though the black population has never been particularly large in the suburbs. Perhaps I am just being exposed to such a small percentage that it seems like the majority are "Gs" but in reality, perhaps the majority really doesn't follow this trend?

I guess the stereotype I'm talking about exudes an immature and uneducated vibe. This may not be true and of course, who am I to judge anyone by how they dress or act, but it's what turns me away. In fact, I know it is not true a lot of the time. I went to high school in a wealthy area with black classmates that adopted the "G" look and persona. They were well educated, came from good backgrounds...I guess it's just how they liked to identify. Why would you willingly choose to fit yourself into a stereotype that is often looked down upon?

What do you all think? Hope I'm not offending anyone with this post, that's not my intention what so ever.

I'm sure you've grasped this already from the other posts in this thread, but the "OG" style you're thinking of as negative could easily be replaced with other "styles" kids emulate from popular music/television media. And like the "OG" style you see as negative, those styles also have negative connotations. You just need to focus more on the person and less on what they see as cool and want to emulate, regardless of the culture.

But at the end of the day this is simply attire/a style. Like others have said, it is very easy to attach a negative connotation to a style of attire or a group of people regardless of what they are wearing. For example, traditional garb worn by people of the Islamic faith that is looked down upon and being banned in cities in Europe and China because of the actions of a portion of the population. If all the people in the Islamic faith decided to dress like Mickey Mouse, people would just move on to having negative opinions of Mickey Mouse.

Can someone explain Neil deGrasse Tyson to me? He's like become this weird liberal idol. All over Facebook I see these stupid memes with him in it.

He's a black scientist that is in the media a lot and has a lot of view points liberals agree with. That and Cosmos. Actually, watch an episode of Cosmos and you'll get it quick.

Mortemis

Banned
Damn, that was something. I thought BCT was safe.

I'm curious to see what exactly molly thinks is the 'g' look. Like immortal said, you could easily be labeled if you aren't dressing like Carlton.

Pretty much. It's a damned if you do damned if you don't in some situations. It would honestly be best to get to know them and get a feel for the personality before writing them off based on apparel.

It really is. And sad that it is too. Getting to know someone before assuming isn't all that hard FFS.

The 'g' look is largely an innocent way to express yourself, belittling someone and automatically assuming someone is 'uneducated' for that is ridiculous, and the solution isn't that they should stop dressing a certain way, the solution is to stop a prejudice stereotype.

royalan

While you may have said something that is unpopular and gotten negative reactions, you were being truthful with your questions and wanted honest opinions, and for that reason I hope you don't "butt out" of the thread if you do want more answers/want to genuinely be informed. There are some people that show up into this thread just to start shit (gloating about getting members banned/etc...) and those people are the ones that should "butt out" and some of the regulars here are weary because of these situations. But you shouldn't be afraid to ask questions/have discussion here whether it is unpopular or not if you are serious. Particularly because this is the BCT and yes, if you want an answer to a question about black culture on GAF, THIS is the place to ask.

I don't know. I KNOW I'm somewhat new to posting regularly in BCT (although I've been lurking for years), but I feel like if you're going to go into a GAF sub-community's thread, you need to at least be primed enough to not ask completely ignorant questions based on stereotypes.

Her post was like if I had gone into LGBT-GAF and was like, "So, hey gays, where can I find some Molly?"

Or if I went into a theoretical Latino-GAF thread and asked for a Spanish lesson.

I get the same way when people come into PopGAF with bullshit like, "How can you guys even like Pop music? They don't write their own lyrics!" Ain't nobody got time for that shit, and it's largely because I view these sub-community threads as safe spaces for the people who subscribe to whatever the subject of the community is. I feel you should have some basic level of understanding of the community before you go posting in their threads.

And it's largely because I view these sub-community threads as safe spaces for the people who subscribe to the whatever the subject of the community is. I feel you should have some basic level of understanding of the community before you go posting in their threads.

Now you know why SonicGAF was created.

Kreed

I don't know. I KNOW I'm somewhat new to posting regularly in BCT (although I've been lurking for years), but I feel like if you're going to go into a GAF sub-community's thread, you need to at least be primed enough to not ask completely ignorant questions based on stereotypes.

Her post was like if I had gone into LGBT-GAF and was like, "So, hey gays, where can I find some Molly?"

Or if I went into a theoretical Latino-GAF thread and asked for a Spanish lesson.

I get the same way when people come into PopGAF with bullshit like, "How can you guys even like Pop music? They don't write their own lyrics!" Ain't nobody got time for that shit, and it's largely because I view these sub-community threads as safe spaces for the people who subscribe to whatever the subject of the community is. I feel you should have some basic level of understanding of the community before you go posting in their threads.

MollyAttack's question and your examples aren't on the same level. Someone coming into a Pop GAF thread asking "How can you guys even like Pop music" is not interested in Pop music to begin with. They are coming into the thread to insult Pop GAF members because of their music choice and that type of thread shitting isn't welcome in any community thread. If MollyAttack had come into the thread with a question like "Why do black people like rap music? It's not real music and it's just a way to insult women and sell drugs", then I would agree with you 100%.

Now I may be assuming too much from MollyAttack, but based off of the few posts she posted in here, she seemed genuinely interested in our answer to her question because she was clueless on an aspect of black culture that she is trying to invest herself in. Sadly as we all know, there are plenty of people in the US that don't have a clue (why did Trayvon have to wear a hoody, etc...) and need to be educated/learn to respect their fellow human beings from other cultures. And we've seen more than our fair share of GAFers that are just as clueless. But based off of MollyAttack's post, she wasn't intentionally being insulting so I see no reason to shrug her off, especially if it means she puts more effort to knowing black people in her day to day. Plus I'd rather us answer her question than some of the other jokers in the OT.

Gorillaz

It's hard at times to tell who is and who isn't a troll. I hear you. If it is someone generally wanting to start a conversation about something then air it out. Molly might have honestly wanted to have a honest talk about it. We could if she wants. Or she's a troll and if it is a troll attempt we know how to handle it. We always joke about shit here and there but I don't mind having to tackle shit straight to the source here at times compared to having a OT thread about it where we all know it will get hijacked.

edit: kreed basically said it as well

MollyAttack's question and your examples aren't on the same level. Someone coming into a Pop GAF thread asking "How can you guys even like Pop music" is not interested in Pop music to begin with. They are coming into the thread to insult Pop GAF members because of their music choice and that type of thread shitting isn't welcome in any community thread. If MollyAttack had come into the thread with a question like "Why do black people like rap music? It's not real music and it's just a way to insult women and sell drugs", then I would agree with you 100%.

Now I may be assuming too much from MollyAttack, but based off of the few posts she posted in here, she seemed genuinely interested in our answer to her question because she was clueless on an aspect of black culture that she is trying to invest herself in. Sadly as we all know, there are plenty of people in the US that don't have a clue (why did Trayvon have to wear a hoody, etc...) and need to be educated/learn to respect their fellow human beings from other cultures. And we've seen more than our fair share of GAFers that are just as clueless. But based off of MollyAttack's post, she wasn't intentionally being insulting so I see no reason to shrug her off, especially if it means she puts more effort to knowing black people in her day to day. Plus I'd rather us answer her question than some of the other jokers in the OT.

Well stated.

royalan

I don't know.

I didn't read full-scale trolling in her post, but her use of scare quotes around shit like "Gs" and "'Gangsta' style of the masses'", as though she already had a considerable awareness of the black community (while simultaneously demonstrating that she didn't have an iota of a clue), came off to me as someone who'd already made up their minds about the topic before they event brought it up. There were way too many assumptions in that post for me to take her seriously about being genuinely curious. She knew what she was saying, and she wanted affirmation.

It gave me flashbacks of people telling me that I act "really white for a black guy" and thinking they were paying me a compliment. Like a backhand disguised as a handshake. "Oh, I'm actually ATTRACTED to black guys! But...can you tell me where to find the less 'thuggish' ones? K thx BCT!"

Yeah the part that bothered me was the "I'd get at that but you know..."

As if black people aren't human beings to get to know on a level beyond surface level. I don't blame people who reacted quite viscerally to that bit.

Trey

I lean more towards roy's attitude than kreed's on this one. The tone of MollyAttack's posts seemed very self aware. I just give benefit of the doubt because it ain't nothing for me to drop some jewels of knowledge. and maybe she was legit and actually learned something. No risk, some effort, possibly some constructive transmission of experience.

I don't know.

I didn't read full-scale trolling in her post, but her use of scare quotes around shit like "Gs" and "'Gangsta' style of the masses'", as though she already had a considerable awareness of the black community (while simultaneously demonstrating that she didn't have an iota of a clue), came off to me as someone who'd already made up their minds about the topic before they event brought it up. There were way too many assumptions in that post for me to take her seriously about being genuinely curious. She knew what she was saying, and she wanted affirmation.

It gave me flashbacks of people telling me that I act "really white for a black guy" and thinking they were paying me a compliment. Like a backhand disguised as a handshake. "Oh, I'm actually ATTRACTED to black guys! But...can you tell me where to find the less 'thuggish' ones? K thx BCT!"

Or you're reading way too far into something. Quotes are used to say "hey, this person calls it this" at times. Meaning others call it that, hence the quotes.

You've been disregarding any posts or otherwise disagreeing with your view of her intent.

royalan

Or you're reading way too far into something. Quotes are used to say "hey, this person calls it this" at times. Meaning others call it that, hence the quotes.

You've been disregarding any posts or otherwise disagreeing with your view of her intent.

Who the fuck even says "G" anymore?

If you want to project genuine curiosity, don't presume to already know what you're talking about. And that goes for ANYTHING.

That's not the only way quotation marks are used, don't play coy.

And I don't recalling her asking for your assistance. If she has something to say she'll come back. We're not about shutting people out, but we're also not about dealing with unnecessary BS, so when people who don't usually post in here come with some possibly contentious content, they need to be prepared to make their positions plain.

Kreed

I don't know.

I definitely understand why you and everyone else got pissed off by the post to the point of wanting her to leave, particularly your third paragraph which I'm sure many of us have had experiences with. But her first post (filled with multiple attempts to clean up what she was saying), and her following posts apologizing for her actions vs holding firm to her original point of view like the usual suspects in the OT, showed willingness to learn something beyond her opinions and the assumptions that you pointed out.

Since this is your first time in the thread, it might be a good idea to contribute something to it besides defending a poster that asked a ill received question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom