• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

So, I've been thinking. Perhaps it is my age group (I'm 22), but I find many african-american men are still are trying to have that "OG" persona and fit into the common stereotype. I am not black, nor am I even male, so I won't act like I know what's it's like to be either in american society, but do any of you find that it is/was hard to move out of that stereotype (if you fit it at all)? Do black men tend to move beyond that persona as they mature, or is it static?

I simply ask because I find myself attracted to black men, however I am not attracted to the "gangsta" style of the masses in my age group... maybe this is a regional thing but I think not. I have lived in the Midwest all my life, always around big cities (Milwaukee, Chicago, Minneapolis, etc.) though the black population has never been particularly large in the suburbs. Perhaps I am just being exposed to such a small percentage that it seems like the majority are "Gs" but in reality, perhaps the majority really doesn't follow this trend?

I guess the stereotype I'm talking about exudes an immature and uneducated vibe. This may not be true and of course, who am I to judge anyone by how they dress or act, but it's what turns me away. In fact, I know it is not true a lot of the time. I went to high school in a wealthy area with black classmates that adopted the "G" look and persona. They were well educated, came from good backgrounds...I guess it's just how they liked to identify. Why would you willingly choose to fit yourself into a stereotype that is often looked down upon?

What do you all think? Hope I'm not offending anyone with this post, that's not my intention what so ever.

I can't even with this post.

Like, WHY would you even come here, to THIS thread, with this bullshit?

You should have posted a thread in OT, where you would have at least had the backing of SecretRacistGAF.

Well, I for one am not about to sit here and help you find a "better class" of black men. You want to find them? Expand your horizons, open your goddamn eyes, and look yourself.

Dude, I'm HELPING YOU by pointing out how full-of-shit your post is.

Kraftwerk

pJfE1uS.gif

harSon

Banned
I feel her though. I went to a predominantly black High School and the group photo for Future Business Leaders of America looked like

black-thugs.jpg

MollyAttack

Neo Member

You should have posted a thread in OT, where you would have at least had the baking of SecretRacistGAF.

Well, I for one am not about to sit here and help you find a "better class" of black men. You want to find them? Expand your horizons, open your goddamn eyes, and look yourself.

I apologize. I seriously am not trying to say there is a "better class" of black man. I'm talking about stereotypes. I said in that very post that the stereotype exudes immaturity. It's a stereotype...stereotypes are not true things. It's classifications that people make up and society eventually accepts as "true." I'm asking why put yourself in that position? Where you would have to defend yourself against society's bs?

You should have posted a thread in OT, where you would have at least had the baking of SecretRacistGAF.

Amazing how you can discern she's a secret racist by one post asking a question on the internet.

I can assure you she isn't. But carry on.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
So, I've been thinking. Perhaps it is my age group (I'm 22), but I find many african-american men are still are trying to have that "OG" persona and fit into the common stereotype. I am not black, nor am I even male, so I won't act like I know what's it's like to be either in american society, but do any of you find that it is/was hard to move out of that stereotype (if you fit it at all)? Do black men tend to move beyond that persona as they mature, or is it static?

I simply ask because I find myself attracted to black men, however I am not attracted to the "gangsta" style of the masses in my age group... maybe this is a regional thing but I think not. I have lived in the Midwest all my life, always around big cities (Milwaukee, Chicago, Minneapolis, etc.) though the black population has never been particularly large in the suburbs. Perhaps I am just being exposed to such a small percentage that it seems like the majority are "Gs" but in reality, perhaps the majority really doesn't follow this trend?

I guess the stereotype I'm talking about exudes an immature and uneducated vibe. This may not be true and of course, who am I to judge anyone by how they dress or act, but it's what turns me away. In fact, I know it is not true a lot of the time. I went to high school in a wealthy area with black classmates that adopted the "G" look and persona. They were well educated, came from good backgrounds...I guess it's just how they liked to identify. Why would you willingly choose to fit yourself into a stereotype that is often looked down upon?

What do you all think? Hope I'm not offending anyone with this post, that's not my intention what so ever.

Are you trolling and if not how old are you ? just curious.

I'm asking why put yourself in that position? Where you would have to defend yourself against society's bs?

ok, never mind.

Could you provide a picture of what you have in mind?

royalan

Well sorry that some aspects of black culture aren't to your fucking liking.

Sorry that you read "stupidity" and "uneducated" in baggy jeans and Timz, and whatever else you consider to be the "'gangsta' style of the masses."

Like I'm going to sit here, in the black culture thread, and straight up be like, "Oh, sorry you have to deal with that every day, let me point you to the better black men, so you can date them. Really, we should be honored that you're considering our race at all!"

...the everlasting fuck?

Ah, you know those urban types...I wouldn't invite them to soccer practice but you know they have a heart of gold!

Get all the way the fuck outta here with that bullshit lady

Gorillaz

I'm a few drinks in, I'll "tackle" it I guess.

For the most part I would breakdown this "OG" style you are talking about but at least out here in the midwest besides Chicago, I don't see much of "that".

edit: this might be a troll attempt? hmmm....

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)

"Why do these people have to be so different?"

*views and treats people different*

double jump

MollyAttack and the other lurker should stay and give examples.

I want to get to the bottom of this.

so you want the black dikku but none of that #thug after taste ?

Okay, I'm sorry for asking. I apologize if I came off as racist. I'm not. Perhaps my wording was not clear. I'll leave your thread...

please stop with this fuckshit.

Trey

I apologize. I seriously am not trying to say there is a "better class" of black man. I'm talking about stereotypes. I said in that very post that the stereotype exudes immaturity. It's a stereotype...stereotypes are not true things. It's classifications that people make up and society eventually accepts as "true." I'm asking why put yourself in that position? Where you would have to defend yourself against society's bs?

Probably should have dropped this on a Sunday when the thread is in a more jovial mood. Also, you have to understand it's been a long week of race threads on GAF lately, so the community is on edge a bit.

But generally, the answer is that society should act right, and not necessarily the person adopting a largely harmless persona. A lot of people go through that phase where they want to act tough - people of all ethnicities and cultures. It might be a more stark contrast for you because of how heavily stereotyped the black thug/gangster image is in the broad media landscape. It has this connotation with danger and violence when more often than not it's a mostly innocuous braggadocios expression.

They were well educated, came from good backgrounds...I guess it's just how they liked to identify. Why would you willingly choose to fit yourself into a stereotype that is often looked down upon?
Is it any different from people who are into an emo or goth aesthetic? You don't have to pursue members of a subculture if it doesn't appeal to you. People have their own interests and forms of escapism.

who am I to judge anyone by how they dress or act, but it's what turns me away

The problem is pretty much right here. You are judging these people and some posters are asking you to elaborate on what drew you to these judgmental conclusions.

harSon

Banned
Don't fucking tell me I live in a bubble or act like you're qualified to say I do. I don't think a poorly worded question = automatic secret racist though.

Go through my post history please and tell me I live in a bubble.

He never called them a racist though. He said that secretracistGAF would defend the ridiculous post/question.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Okay, I'm sorry for asking. I apologize if I came off as racist. I'm not. Perhaps my wording was not clear. I'll leave your thread...

For a more cynical answer, in a lot of instances it wouldn't matter if we all started dressing a certain way. If we all woke up tomorrow with fresh fades, tailored suits, and waves deep enough to drown anyone that's not in the navy seals, the only thing stereotypes would do is adjust with the image. Ask anyone that's had the plates run, driving while black, in a nice car.

The bigger thing is, why do those stereotypes exist, and why is it on people to go out of their way to disapprove negative narratives placed on them unfairly?

Imm0rt4l

ughh....

*sigh

Probably.

On the flip side, I've known some young women who without even knowing/speaking to me ascribe the thug image to me just because I don't dress like Carlton Banks or because my vernacular isn't 'proper English' all the time. Two way street....but then they talk to me and they're all like "you know you're like the whitest black guy I know....I like that" wait wut. People are different from one another. I lived in Minneapolis and most of my friends there were black, and I only had a handful of acquaintances that were thugs. I now live in Vegas, most of my friends are Mexican, not a single one of them is a cholo. People are different, so what. Get to know them on an individual basis before you write them off I guess?

edit: or you could let Daquan turn you out.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Don't fucking tell me I live in a bubble or act like you're qualified to say I do. I don't think a poorly worded question = automatic secret racist though.

Go through my post history please and tell me I live in a bubble.

Please sir, just calm down. Just calm down.

MollyAttack

Neo Member
The problem is pretty much right here. You are judging these people and some posters are asking you to elaborate on what drew you to these judgmental conclusions.

It might be a more stark contrast for you because of how heavily stereotyped the black thug/gangster image is in the broad media landscape. It has this connotation with danger and violence when more often than not it's a mostly innocuous braggadocios expression.

I think that's the answer on how I've drawn these judgmental conclusions. Growing up in the midwest, unless you live IN the cities, I feel like the black population is nearly non-existent. My exposure is limited. I don't judge people who dress that way as dangerous or violent, but I will admit that I judge them as uneducated. I am NOT saying they are, by any stretch of the imagination, but it is my first impression. It is hard to shut off judgement. We do it unconsciously at times. I try hard not to, but it happens regardless. I guess I think of it as uneducated because the media does only display the negatives of black culture. The gang shootings in Chicago, for instance. Everyday you hear about them on the news, and everyday they roll some footage of a group of black men dressed in that style and you just start to make associations. That's why I asked my question. I know a lot of people that make the same association - or make the association you pointed out where that style = dangerous, violent, criminal. Wouldn't you want to distance yourself from that if you could? I promise this is an innocent question.

We are judgmental creatures and I am fully at fault in doing this. We judge based on first impressions before even getting to know the person. I'm not saying that it is okay to do that by any means.

Is it any different from people who are into an emo or goth aesthetic? You don't have to pursue members of a subculture if it doesn't appeal to you. People have their own interests and forms of escapism.

Good point. It is not any different.

If I may BCT

tc8TbGs.png

PzJrf5A.png

MollyAttack

Neo Member
why is it on people to go out of their way to disapprove negative narratives placed on them unfairly?

That is a great question. I had not thought about it that way. The responsibility should not lie with them. I think people should be free to be who they want to be. I'm not saying all the people with that style need to or should conform, I'm just asking why they choose not to when life may be easier for them if they did. But then I saw this post:

For a more cynical answer, in a lot of instances it wouldn't matter if we all started dressing a certain way. If we all woke up tomorrow with fresh fades, tailored suits, and waves deep enough to drown anyone that's not in the navy seals, the only thing stereotypes would do is adjust with the image. Ask anyone that's had the plates run, driving while black, in a nice car.

And now I understand much better.

Thank you for your responses...but I think I should probably butt out of this thread before I start anymore trouble accidentally. Sorry all.

I think that's the answer on how I've drawn these judgmental conclusions. Growing up in the midwest, unless you live IN the cities, I feel like the black population is nearly non-existent. My exposure is limited. I don't judge people who dress that way as dangerous or violent, but I will admit that I judge them as uneducated. I am NOT saying they are, by any stretch of the imagination, but it is my first impression. It is hard to shut off judgement. We do it unconsciously at times. I try hard not to, but it happens regardless. I guess I think of it as uneducated because the media does only display the negatives of black culture. The gang shootings in Chicago, for instance. Everyday you hear about them on the news, and everyday they roll some footage of a group of black men dressed in that style and you just start to make associations. That's why I asked my question. I know a lot of people that make the same association - or make the association you pointed out where that style = dangerous, violent, criminal. Wouldn't you want to distance yourself from that if you could? I promise this is an innocent question.

We are judgmental creatures and I am fully at fault in doing this. We judge based on first impressions before even getting to know the person. I'm not saying that it is okay to do that by any means.

Yes we judge people but you have to do some self-introspection on how biased your own judgments are. You do not get to know these people but decide based on skin color, fashion sense and I guess their colloquialisms, that they are, without mincing words here, thugs.

Why some people are so angry about this, is that the root problem here is skin color.

It seems you do not reach the same conclusions about non black men or else you wouldn't have made your question so particular as to race.

Can you see how flimsy your reasoning is when you even admit to basically letting society perpetuate stereotypes and you buy into them wholesale?

double jump

. Wouldn't you want to distance yourself from that if you could? I promise this is an innocent question.

It doesn't matter if you dress like Dmx or Carlton Banks. Some form of discrimination will happen to you regardless at some point. And why is it on black people to try and conform shouldn't others stop trying to be judgmental ?

Trey

Wouldn't you want to distance yourself from that if you could? I promise this is an innocent question.

From violence of any sort? Sure. But the culture? I grew up immersed in it. While I might not be affiliated, I still love my city and find the culture at large unique and endearing, while fully recognizing its sometimes terminal faults.

you're really not going to get far saying you judge many folks' in here culture. That is on its face a bad place to try to come from in a discussion where you are asking for others' far more knowledgeable opinion. Saying you know it's wrong makes it no better.

You aren't saving us from ourselves. So I ask you to turn your scrutiny upon yourself. What is it about yourself that judges people who "act OG"? Why is is not as classy, or lead you to believe they are not as educated? How about you reorient your own parameters in judging, and expand your empathy alongside your experience. At the very least, you won't be as annoyed.

Gorillaz

300k views, you know it's not exactly a quiet spot anymore breh

a few OT's ago maybe
ughh....

*sigh

Probably.

On the flip side, I've known some young women who without even knowing/speaking to me ascribe the thug image to me just because I don't dress like Carlton Banks or because my vernacular isn't 'proper English' all the time. Two way street....but then they talk to me and they're all like "you know you're like the whitest black guy I know....I like that" wait wut. People are different from one another. I lived in Minneapolis and most of my friends there were black, and I only had a handful of acquaintances that were thugs. I now live in Vegas, most of my friends are Mexican, not a single one of them is a cholo. People are different, so what. Get to know them on an individual basis before you write them off I guess?

edit: or you could let Daquan turn you out.
Pretty much. It's a damned if you do damned if you don't in some situations. It would honestly be best to get to know them and get a feel for the personality before writing them off based on apparel.

Or

We can go with Option Daqaun which is the least problematic, I mean he eats, the streets eats...everyone wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom