• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so, prefacing this with a bit of context:

The game (let's just call it PLC) takes place in a fully-sealed dyson shell that functions as its own planet. Because of the closed-circuit nature of the world, it's allowed for the development of true mathematical / scientific absolutes, and as a result the tech levels have skyrocketed. Like, no overpopulation, necessities are always available, the economy is largely recreational, on-the-fly materialized objects and food, etc. Eight intelligent species live in the world, and nationality / ethnicity as well as the concept of a hetereonormative majority have largely been phased out of the worldwide culture, and from a diversity standpoint the other species have just as many potential ethnicities as humans. Anyways, part of the high tech standards have all eight species speaking a single language but in different dialects and accents mostly boiling down to personal preference. Here's where my inquiry comes in.

One of the eight main characters (playable classes - think TF2) is part of an alien race similar to Glacius, and has personally settled on a black voice. As far as his actual career, he's a cop who's made a good name for himself and has two children. In the story's present-day he's middle-aged, and as a result he's grown kind of bitter and aggressive because political corruption exists and that some people in the world are still trying to run hustles when the world provides them with just about everything they could ever need. Most crime here stems from recreation or wanting to bring other people down more than actual necessity. He's personally settled on his voice / cultural identity because he feels it's the right mix of intelligent, captivating and stern for his line of work, and his character on the surface acts a bit like Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction. Problem is, I really don't want him being introduced out of the gate as the "arbitrary angry black guy" that starts beating the shit out of the other players. So, I guess my question is how do I pitch the notion of a socioculturally-equivalent world that's free of a realized majority to the same guys that made this thread an overly defensive war rather than a discussion?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
omg i know what i need to watch *__*

thank you *_*

You should know that Space Dandy is amazing, but it's not really an action show.

It's a comedy that does not give a fuck if it makes sense.

Also, Scarlet is a secondary character.

The devil's big foot sasquatch
The paper money is cyclops, the pyramid eye watch
Every hand, that buys and shops
I want Nike size 13 in high top
So I can sport em for all the girls on my block
But funny things when I got there
All I seen was strange stares in plain gears
Stitches across everyone's brains under their hair
Young affairs they said we all in God's prisons for hard livin
Coded bar system, stomachs bloated, facial scars and heart conditions
Since the maimonides(?) created the monsters
Invaded the youngsters, made it to conquer

i6P2EGLjoNGyQ.png

Slayven

Esco comes to North America, and now all these English black women actors are suddenly appearing and getting the instant comeup.

Not that I am complaining.

Why the hell Busta Rhymes looking like Luis Guzman

Stop. The IRS wants their pound fo flesh, so he decided to pack on extra.

BET is doing their own Roots called "The Book of Negroes". With Louis Gossett Jr, and Cuba Gooding Jr.

The Book Of Negroes. Sounds like something out of a fantasy story.

"But, how will I defeat the evil Archmage and free the princess?"

"Son, you will have to go to the Black Tower. Inside will be...THE BOOK OF NEGROES. Within this tome is the spell to destroy the Archmage's power."

"Son, you will have to go to the Black Tower. Inside will be...THE BOOK OF NEGROES. Within this tome is the spell to destroy the Archmage's power."

Lol yess

I fucking hate delaying gratification. Perfect town home in a neighborhood I love being built, and barring being completely irresponsible and living house poor, there's no way I can afford it. And now my wife wants to go back to school full-time, but doesn't know what job she actually wants after getting her mpp/mba/ms engineering (whatever the hell she actually wants to get.. she still doesn't know). Not like she hasn't had like the past three years of me being in school to think about that.

So now I have to try and plan my already unpredictable career and income while keeping in mind her returning to go to school (which is great), while not knowing what she's actually going back to school for and what she'll make afterwards (not so great).

Fuck.

don't make yourself house poor: definitely not worth it.

as for your wife, there are tons and tons and tons of mba and ms programs designed for working professionals. They take anywhere from 1 to 2 years, plenty are online, and some are saturdays only. Going back to school full time is a sucker move for a graduate degree.

Slayven

The forbidden bending art. lol

Okay, so, prefacing this with a bit of context:

The game (let's just call it PLC) takes place in a fully-sealed dyson shell that functions as its own planet. Because of the closed-circuit nature of the world, it's allowed for the development of true mathematical / scientific absolutes, and as a result the tech levels have skyrocketed. Like, no overpopulation, necessities are always available, the economy is largely recreational, on-the-fly materialized objects and food, etc. Eight intelligent species live in the world, and nationality / ethnicity as well as the concept of a hetereonormative majority have largely been phased out of the worldwide culture, and from a diversity standpoint the other species have just as many potential ethnicities as humans. Anyways, part of the high tech standards have all eight species speaking a single language but in different dialects and accents mostly boiling down to personal preference. Here's where my inquiry comes in.

One of the eight main characters (playable classes - think TF2) is part of an alien race similar to Glacius, and has personally settled on a black voice. As far as his actual career, he's a cop who's made a good name for himself and has two children. In the story's present-day he's middle-aged, and as a result he's grown kind of bitter and aggressive because political corruption exists and that some people in the world are still trying to run hustles when the world provides them with just about everything they could ever need. Most crime here stems from recreation or wanting to bring other people down more than actual necessity. He's personally settled on his voice / cultural identity because he feels it's the right mix of intelligent, captivating and stern for his line of work, and his character on the surface acts a bit like Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction. Problem is, I really don't want him being introduced out of the gate as the "arbitrary angry black guy" that starts beating the shit out of the other players. So, I guess my question is how do I pitch the notion of a socioculturally-equivalent world that's free of a realized majority to the same guys that made this thread an overly defensive war rather than a discussion?

Reading through that thread is a chore, and I'm not 100% certain it's directly applicable to what you want to do with your game. But as far as I can see, if you don't want your character introduced right out of the gate as an "arbitrary angry black guy" then don't make it arbitrary? No one has a problem with well rounded fleshed out characters that aren't perfect. If that's ALL there is to the character then you might want to go back to the drawing board.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Reading through that thread is a chore, and I'm not 100% certain it's directly applicable to what you want to do with your game. But as far as I can see, if you don't want your character introduced right out of the gate as an "arbitrary angry black guy" then don't make it arbitrary? No one has a problem with well rounded fleshed out characters that aren't perfect. If that's ALL there is to the character then you might want to go back to the drawing board.

how i feel

has there ever been a significant fantasy story with an all black cast? There's some potential there to get away from the typical tolkien tropes.

Slayven

has there ever been a significant fantasy story with an all black cast? There's some potential there to get away from the typical tolkien tropes.

I always wanted to write a book where a black youth gets transported to a fantasy world where magic spells are done in rhyme. And he becomes the chosen one because he is skilled at wrapping.

don't make yourself house poor: definitely not worth it.

as for your wife, there are tons and tons and tons of mba and ms programs designed for working professionals. They take anywhere from 1 to 2 years, plenty are online, and some are saturdays only. Going back to school full time is a sucker move for a graduate degree.

We have two kids, and I'll be working crazy hours. Night school isn't even on the table.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I thought Byakuya was a young, single, militant, dark skinned youth for the past 2 years.

We have two kids, and I'll be working crazy hours. Night school isn't even on the table.

I feel you on the rough schedule. I clock in well over 60 hours a week and have a 2 year old myself. There's a saturday only MBA program I've had my eye on. There is literally a program designed around the needs of every working professional you can think of these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom