• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsippel

Banned
The Kim Kardashian thread turned really ugly really quickly, but thanks to that thread, I've actually learned a lot. Like, I never knew that the symbols of the Holy Roman Empire (not the Roman Empire - the HRE is essentially modern day Germany) were reportedly provided by the commander of the Theban Legion. Those symbols are on display in Vienna, Austria, and include the legendary Spear of Destiny, the lance used to kill Jesus. That commander, Maurice, was black - and his statue watches over the crypt of emperor Otto I. in Magdeburg. He's also in the coat of arms of several European cities, and at least one cathedral was named after him.

Don't know if this is actually relevant to this thread (I believe it is black culture, though), but I think it's really interesting and something well worth knowing and discussing.

JohnDoe

Banned
I am scarred for life :(

When I was little(4-5 yr old) I walked in on my Mom with some random dude.

goddamn.

The only thing I know is that since I was like 5 I have had a very vivid picture of a man and a woman having sex in my parent's bedroom. :x
Later I figured I walked into my parents having sex. I mean there is no other way I could have had those pictures pop up in my head. Must have fucked me up so bad I didn't remember it was them lol

I kind of always knew people had sex. I remember asking my older cousin telling me about it when his sister was having a kid.

I knew women had kids, knew babies came from childbirth and childbirth happened in hospitals (for the most part).

i was just completely uninterested in my part of the equation. Never occurred to me to ask.

harSon

Banned
i didn't like Pacific Rim but i'd watch that, Soul Plane, Soul Food, the Chung Li movie with that chick from Smallville and Aeon Flux back to back before i ever watch Transformers: Age of Extinction again

i still remember re-watching Diamonds Are Forever as a teen and being like
ObJODI0.gif

royalan

Aaliyah's family didn't approve. And some were critical of how much she looks like Aaliyah.

And now Yaya DaCosta has been picked for Lifetime's Whitney Houston biopic.

Okay, Lifetime, what is going on here?

Hey, what's wrong with Yaya?

R967WSt.png

She's a decent actress, and I think she'd be a good fit for portraying young Whitney.

...but what's with all the black R&B singer biopics? Lifetime must be feeling the sting of Lady O's network.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Aaliyah's family didn't approve. And some were critical of how much she looks like Aaliyah.

Kinda sad tbh. Tho I would sooner take Meagan Good as Aaliyah. Always thought she would get the role.

Edit: Yaya's cute! <3 not a bad pick.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

R967WSt.png

She's a decent actress, and I think she'd be a good fit for portraying young Whitney.

...but what's with all the black R&B singer biopics? Lifetime must be feeling the sting of Lady O's network.
Does she wakes up like that tho?

Kreed

Aaliyah must have signed some fucked up contracts. First Chris Brown, then Drake, now this.

R967WSt.png

Nothing wrong with Yaya. I look forward to seeing the receipts.

So, I've got a question regarding the characterization of a black character in a video game pet project. Would this be the right place to ask, or is that too off-topic?

I fucking hate delaying gratification. Perfect town home in a neighborhood I love being built, and barring being completely irresponsible and living house poor, there's no way I can afford it. And now my wife wants to go back to school full-time, but doesn't know what job she actually wants after getting her mpp/mba/ms engineering (whatever the hell she actually wants to get.. she still doesn't know). Not like she hasn't had like the past three years of me being in school to think about that.

So now I have to try and plan my already unpredictable career and income while keeping in mind her returning to go to school (which is great), while not knowing what she's actually going back to school for and what she'll make afterwards (not so great).

Fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom