• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_n7l2gfwjvs1qls03po1_1280.jpg

The African Renaissance Monument in Senegal, larger that the Eiffel tower and the statue of liberty .. Things you don’t see in mainstream media.
@KrystVegaNeteru

Damn, that's a great-looking statue.

RP912

Banned
Kimbo wasn't 40-0 or whatever Floyd is though...he actually has a legacy to protect.

True...but even legacy can crumble...especially Mayweather. Dude could slip up and its over.

Either or I'm still pissed at him bobbing and weaving from scrapping with pacman.

Malyse

is that real?

Abso-fucking-lutely.

A better perspective:
Monument+to+African+Renaissance+dakar+senegal+africa+3.jpg

Also! This is your reminder that the original Statue of Liberty was a gift from France, celebrating the negro throwing of the chains of oppression after the Civil War and was initially designed as a black woman, but the US sent it back.

This is what we could have had
tumblr_m422srDzZT1r28kuyo1_1280.png

On an unrelated note:
tumblr_nbu936a5K91qc1jg4o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nbu936a5K91qc1jg4o2_1280.jpg

Silky

Banned
I don't feel nothing from these reviews. The only thing stopping me from getting the game is money (which I will never get from the people who owe me because of reasons apparently.)

Kreed

Also! This is your reminder that the original Statue of Liberty was a gift from France, celebrating the negro throwing of the chains of oppression after the Civil War and was initially designed as a black woman, but the US sent it back.

This is a myth.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Not to let the facts get in the way of a good story or anything but...

The image is actually a photo of the Lady Liberty statue at the Agrément roundabout on the Caribbean island of St. Maarten, which was sculpted by Theodore Bonev in 2007 to commemorate the 159th anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation. It has no connection (other than a thematic one) to the Statue of Liberty in New York.

Malyse

This is a myth.

Not to let the facts get in the way of a good story or anything but...

Not quite.

http://www.nps.gov/stli/historyculture/black-statue-of-liberty.htm

Claim 3: The original model for the Statue of Liberty was a black woman, but the design was changed to appease white Americans who would not accept an African-American Liberty.

Finding: The statue's design almost certainly evolved from an earlier concept Bartholdi proposed for a colossal monument in Egypt, for which the artist used his drawings of Egyptian women as models. Bartholdi’s preliminary design for the Statue of Liberty is consistent with contemporary depictions of Liberty, but differs markedly from sculptures representing freed American slaves and Civil War soldiers. Bartholdi changed a broken shackle and chain in the statue's left hand to tablets inscribed "July IV, MDCCLXXVI” (July 4, 1776) at Laboulaye's request, to emphasize a broader vision of liberty for all mankind.

----

· Is the Statue of Liberty a monument to the end of slavery in the United States?

The Statue of Liberty would never have been conceived or built if its principal French and American advocates had not been active abolitionists who understood slavery as the cause of the Civil War and its end as the realization of the promise of liberty for all as codified in the Declaration of Independence.

http://urbanintellectuals.com/2013/...ted-to-the-u-s-was-a-statue-of-a-black-woman/

Documents of Proof:

1.) You may go and see the original model of the Statue of Liberty, with the broken chains at her feet and in her left hand. Go to the Museum of the City of NY, Fifth Avenue and 103rd Street write to Peter Simmons and he can send you some documentation.

2.) Check with the N.Y. Times magazine, part II_May 18, 1986. Read the article by Laboulaye.

3.) The dark original face of the Statue of Liberty can be seen in the N.Y. Post, June 17, 1986, also the Post stated the reason for the broken chains at her feet.

4.) Finally, you may check with the French Mission or the French Embassy at the U.N. or in Washington, D.C. and ask for some original French material on the Statue of Liberty, including the Bartholdi original model.
— with Edwin Cobb, Gemini Hodge and Deverick Murray.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
If you check the snopes article Bish linked, it addresses the exact article you just posted. As neat as it would be, I am going to trust snopes over the random sites you linked considering their track record of accuracy.

Malyse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom