• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silky

Banned
You are not serious are you? It's generic and been done better a thousand times before.

100% serious. Love the novels outside of a couple, the comics outside of a couple, etc.

I like HL's lore and storytelling. Portal too considering it's the same universe. I don't care for Deus Ex outside of Human Revolution, Fallout was never a shooter originally but I love New Vegas, and I don't care for the -Shock games' lore. The only good storytelling in CoD is from the Treyarch titles.

Hell I even like the Lore of Gears of War.

Yeesh - is Destiny really that bad.

I was planning to finally buy a PS4 for that game. Now i dunno...

Shooting mechanics are about as good as it gets, PvP can be fun but some of the maps are wtf-tier, some of game modes are ehh and its kind of unbalanced all over the place. Story is bland as fuck and once you get up there in level you can either grind PvP, replay story missions for gear or move on with your life.

like Dy says, if you going to games for the story you are doing it wrong.

What kind of bull shit is this?

Why can't I want a game that tells an interesting story on top of fun game play? Its not necessary but if your game has a single player mode with cinematics I can criticize all I want.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
like Dy says, if you going to games for the story you are doing it wrong.

I don't think that flies in a game with unskippable story elements. Obviously the designers here are making a game for the people that are "doing it wrong". 10 year IP and what not

and it sucks. Why give it a pass?

Malyse

Why can't I want a game that tells an interesting story on top of fun game play? Its not necessary but if your game has a single player mode with cinematics I can criticize all I want.

Name me a game that's story wouldn't be awful in another medium.

Imm0rt4l

I'm sure it's fun if you're rolling with the squad. Playing it alone makes it painfully underwhelming but its a really competent shooter. Just not a particularly compelling one. I expected the story to be the least of my worries, I just wanna go pew pew....but yeah the story/lore is trash.
Tlou

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

So do you consider any book that would not translate well into a movie to be a bad book?

Are action movies bad movies because they would not be entertaining books?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Destiny in a nutshell is "shooting mechanics too stronk". They nail the most important part of a FPS and are mediocre at absolutely everything else.

I think combat and encounter design are more important than base shooting mechanics since that's the easiest part to nail in a shooter.

Gotta play more before I form an opinion but so far I don't like Destiny's approach to combat design at all.

Haven't touched pvp yet so maybe that has a good game flow

There are a few but that's not the bar. The bar is 'good for a video game'.

Exactly. The problem with game storytelling at the moment is that the industry is too focused on trying to copy and match film rather than playing to the strengths of its own medium

WTF does that have to do with what I said. Aside from the fact that there are multiple series that have good story's, passing off criticism of bad storytelling as if its the customers fault is ridiculous.

Slayven

Nothing, it's just that the games industry showed more often then not they can't deliver.

You can want whatever you'd like. The reality though is that not everything can be Schindler's List or Shawshank or The Godfather. Sometimes you need a Bad Boys or Fast and Furious.

I don't think that flies in a game with unskippable story elements. Obviously the designers here are making a game for the people that are "doing it wrong". 10 year IP and what not

and it sucks. Why give it a pass?

The game itself is great even if you don't like the story. Most shooters stories are summer action flick-esque hot trash but most don't care because the gameplay is dope. Destiny is similar.

I'm sure it's fun if you're rolling with the squad. Playing it alone makes it painfully underwhelming but its a really competent shooter. Just not a particularly compelling one. I expected the story to be the least of my worries, I just wanna go pew pew....but yeah the story/lore is trash.

Don't lump the story and the lore together. The lore is actually dope as hell. The problem is that you have to go to Bungie.net to learn about it.

Imm0rt4l

Nothing, it's just that the games industry showed more often then not they can't deliver.
I agree, especially Japanese games. That said I think games that are truly story driven like rpg's should have competent writers. Nothing wrong with demanding more especially when a select few have proven to make enthralling stories to drive the gameplay.

I enjoyed BioShock infinites story for what it was. The gameplay mechanics did the writing a disservice.

Destiny wishes its story was Bad Boys-good or Fast and Furious-good.

This isn't a complaint that the story isn't as good as works of art in literature and film. Shit isn't as good as the average videogame. It's well below average for a medium that often fails to deliver.

Slayven

I dunno, The Banner Saga and Legacy of Kain would be a great series of books.

Sure the AAA Side.
Shit is even worse on the Indie and Japanese side.

And when it doesn't you can call them on it, not just say its my fault for expecting a modicum of effort.

That depends if the game is fun or not. A game with fun gamplay but a crap story is still better then a game with a good story but garbage gameplay.

Destiny wishes its story was Bad Boys-good or Fast and Furious-good.

This isn't a complaint that the story isn't as good as works of art in literature and film. Shit isn't as good as the average videogame. It's well below average for a medium that often fails to deliver.

In a medium that often times has no story at all attached to games, saying that Destiny is "well below average" is a stretch.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

lol no

i haven't had this much fun in a shooter since halo 2 and the diablo-ness of it is gonna keep me playing for a long time. i just need to take a better, honest look at my friends list and recognize that being cool doesn't give people a pass for being shit in pve or pvp

the mmo aspects that do carry over (ie none of the matchmaking, some of the boss fights) make it real clear that people are too used to putting all their energy into aiming down a scope and waiting to be revived when that stops working. a LOT of people suck hard at one aspect of the game and don't realize it. or are trying to give impressions of whatever while still running around beta areas.

game is dope. flawed, obviously, but dope. i honestly can't think of a better shooter in the past few years.

Silky

Banned
I really can't believe Destiny has a below average story in an era where people willingly enjoy the storytelling of the Battlefield mainline series. That would be the below average line.

That depends if the game is fun or not. A game with fun gamplay but a crap story is still better then a game with a good story but garbage gameplay.

Who is even talking about if the game is good or not? You can call a games story awful but still enjoy the game play.

Kreed

Unrelated - in 2009, OK cupid released some stats regarding interracial dating on their site. The short version of the story was that black people and asian men were getting the short end of the stick (asian women and white men received the most positive attention).

But in five years, probably a lot changed, right? right?
wrong
They just published an update to those statistics
http://blog.okcupid.com/

Silver lining (?)- people's own beliefs about their racial preferences improved (i.e. fewer people say 'i wouldn't date someone from a different race'). It's just that their actual rating behavior hasn't changed. It would be fascinating to see the actual results of dating (they can only report on how people rate profiles, but not if they actually end meeting/dating/hooking up).

I remember the older articles being posted on GAF a few times. Nice to see they went ahead and added responses to the usual "I'm not racist for having a preference" comments.

It's too bad these guys can't combine their data with some other online dating sites from other parts of the world. It would be interesting to see how a US dating site compares to a site based in a South American or European country for example in regards to ethnic groups.

Infinite

exactly. To me, having a shit story isn't that big of a knock towards a game.
Idk it's like if the devs went out of their way to make that story apart of the overall game experience and I have to sit there and watch cut scenes and hear dialogue exchanges from a story I'm not even fond of you bet your ass that's gonna be a knock towards the game. Gameplay and story are not in opposition.

Why would a game with no story be in this conversation?

You opened that door with your statement about the medium as a whole. And even if you were to focus on games that have any kind of storytelling element at all, Destiny still isn't well below average when most of the Fighting Game genre has story elements that are considerably worse. But again, no one cares because the gameplay is great.

A game with not only a shit story but shit dialogue and shit characterizations will effect my enjoyment of it.

Dialogue isn't that bad. Yes it's cliche' but the vast majority of media is cliche'. I can't really call it on characterizations though because there's so little use of other characters that it's hard to really judge whether or not they're fleshed out properly.

Jesus, didn't know the story was so bad.

More like it's damn near nonexistent and when it is there it's almost completely nonsensical.

They could have literally said "You a space nigga with magic powers, go rekt shit" and nothing would change about Destiny from the player's perspective.

They built this amazing world and introduced great lore, but couldn't write a story with it to save the human race from extinction. I've seen remedial football players make up better stories to recite to one of their 9 kids than this shit. Like Moris said, given how long this game has been in development and how much coin was dropped on this game. The story is just embarrassingly bad even for videogame standards.

Game is kind of fun though, so yea.

You opened that door with your statement about the medium as a whole. And even if you were to focus on games that have any kind of storytelling element at all, Destiny still isn't well below average when most of the Fighting Game genre has story elements that are considerably worse. But again, no one cares because the gameplay is great.

Nah, some albums tell stories some are good, some are bad. When you talk about storytelling in music you don't lump in every piece of music ever written. That would obviously elevate music that tried to tell a story at all.

Not sure if I'd put fighters into that ring of story cause a fighter lives and dies by its mechanics alone in the gaming world.

Destiny tries to tell a story immediately when you boot it up, it has several lengthy unskippable cutscenes where NPCs pass along info and progress the story and it's 100% booty.

What sucks the most is that they created an interesting world, shouldn't be so hard to attach a passable narrative.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
lore is outstanding. the story telling is welcome to germany tour bus guide tier lol

Nah, some albums tell stories some are good, some are bad. When you talk about storytelling in music you don't lump in every piece of music ever written. That would obviously elevate music that tried to tell a story at all.

Not sure if I'd put fighters into that ring of story cause a fighter lives and dies by its mechanics alone in the gaming world.

Destiny tries to tell a story immediately when you boot it up, it has several lengthy unskippable cutscenes where NPCs pass along info and progress the story and it's 100% booty.

Basically.

lore is outstanding. the story telling is welcome to germany tour bus guide tier lol

Damn, and those tour bus guides NEVER give a fuck about their job lol.

Slayven

More like it's damn near nonexistent and when it is there it's almost completely nonsensical.

They could have literally said "You a space nigga with magic powers, go rekt shit" and nothing would change about Destiny from the player's perspective.

They built this amazing world and introduced great lore, but couldn't write a story with it to save the human race from extinction. I've seen remedial football players make up better stories to recite to one of their 9 kids than this shit. Like Moris said, given how long this game has been in development and how much coin was dropped on this game. The story is just embarrassingly bad even for videogame standards.

Game is kind of fun though, so yea.
Some of that is explained by the MMO nature of the game. When people play Halo everyone is master chief savior of everybody. But in a MMO you have to make everyone believe they are the mystical "The One". So shit is pre packaged canned shit.

Story importance depends on the genre for me.

In an RPG, it's very important but in an action game, I really don't care as long as the gameplay is great.

If I still played FPSs, I wouldn't care too much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom