• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infinite

Sometimes I feel uneasy about using my govt name on my resume. Granted I won't have the same struggles as some of you guys but do wonder what people think when they see my name titling a resume.

KumaJG

Pickle juice..

If vagina juice taste like pickle juice
rejoice.png
I'll be getting every last drop like when you slurp through a straw trying to get the last drop of water.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
My name is bland and generic on the level of something like Lance Armstrong or Dave Johnson

I don't think I've ever seen an undiagnosed wrist injury destroy a lawyer's career either....

Even if there was a level playing field so to speak, there is just too much you have to go up against in order to even "kinda " expect the same road to travel. There are just a ton of obstacles - even if you're a phenom.
Definitely this.

It's just a poor route to intergenerational wealth.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Whats Korra?

Black girl Naruto I think

Nah, haven't even looked at it, really, since I haven't kept up with the show after Book One was Storm Chamber status. Figured I'd just wait for Bayo2 at this point

Yeah with Bayo 2 there was no way I was gonna pick it up this week either.

From what it sounds like though you could be finished with it with time to spare before Bayo 2 launches

andthebeatgoeson

So are you saying it's easier to succeed in a failing school system and get a scholarship to go to college than it is to focus on sports and pray your good enough to get out??

I absolutely think anyone in a half decent school system coming from lower middle to upper middle class family should make that choice. But in the hood it's hard to excel when so much other shit is going on.

That article does a great job illustrating the statistics. But how many of those black doctors came from money?? Its basically a bootstraps argument all over again.
Eh. There are more doctors in two fields than NBA players total. Yes, it's easier to get a medical degree. And besides strippers and Las Vegas hotels, many more people are benefiting from Black doctors, for example. Unless you are baby momma number 4, Shawn Kemp ain't really providing a 'good' to the community.

Statistically, I think you 10 applicants for med school. It's 1,000,000 for each for in the NBA. Those cats have to be exceedingly great to warm the bench for Kobe. An average dude gets into med school every year.

Eh. There are more doctors in two fields than NBA players total. Yes, it's easier to get a medical degree. And besides strippers and Las Vegas hotels, many more people are benefiting from Black doctors, for example. Unless you are baby momma number 4, Shawn Kemp ain't really providing a 'good' to the community.

Statistically, I think you 10 applicants for med school. It's 1,000,000 for each for in the NBA. Those cats have to be exceedingly great to warm the bench for Kobe. An average dude gets into med school every year.
And med school? What about PA school? Easier admission and you can still bring home more than 100k with experience.

Also there are D.O. schools that are easier to get into than med school.

And yeah, people are stuck in some really terrible schools and situations that we must fixed, but there are also classes of people who attend those same schools and have better outcomes, black recent immigrant families. The outcomes still aren't great, but they are higher. The natural question should be "why?" Some is definitely still institutional bias against AAs versus African/carribeans, but some is also family structure and expectations.

Hell, we live in a world where a TV show increased college enrollment in the black community!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom