• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jk5CsbL.gif

This shit wouldn't fly at Southern.

Infinite

from the amount that ive played it, the scoring system didnt ruin anything for me. my biggest gripe is the lineup.
The lineup blows but you get over stuff like that once a character interests you based on how they play and control. The scoring system is a wet rag on the entire game.

I really can't get passed how shit Destiny's story is. I don't need a great story to have fun with a game, but that story is exceptionally shit even by video game standards.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I really can't get passed how shit Destiny's story is. I don't need a great story to have fun with a game, but that story is exceptionally shit even by video game standards.

i don't have time to explain why i don't have time to explain moris

i don't have time to explain why i don't have time to explain moris

The characters barely exist..it's like The Speaker, The Ghost, The Stranger...and that Queen and her brother. None of which are really interesting or anything.

The whole time I felt like the protag was just a gun for hire, which would have been fine if they didn't elevate you to space jesus.

And I have tons of gripes with PvP. Some of those maps are ass. You can't have huge maps for 3v3 or even 6v6. No map voting/selection, non-sense map rotation, I want to say it's not balanced but it's kinda of not balanced all over the place, not sure if that makes it better or worse. WHY AM I DRIVING A SPARROW TO FIGHT. What sense does that make at all?

I hope that raid is decent but I got a feeling it'll just be like the strikes, maybe longer.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Why is there always some hating, My hips move like I-robot ass dudes and they crew of chicks looking like melted weave and skies of grey, hating on people having fun in bars and clubs? Shit boggles my mind.

Trey

I played a strike today at my friend's house. It was the only bit of content I've ever played of Destiny. The game is very pretty. The actual shooting is on par with Halo even though ADS is very, very unnecessary.

Nothing but bullet sponge enemies. No interesting set piece or emergent gameplay. Just waves of boring dudes surrounding some huge asshole that one-shots you and treats sniper rounds like they're little more than a stiff breeze.

How long are strikes supposed to take you, an hour or so?

DY_nasty

I played a strike today at my friend's house. It was the only bit of content I've ever played of Destiny. The game is very pretty. The actual shooting is on par with Halo even though ADS is very, very unnecessary.

Nothing but bullet sponge enemies. No interesting set piece or emergent gameplay. Just waves of boring dudes surrounding some huge asshole that one-shots you and treats sniper rounds like they're little more than a stiff breeze.

How long are strikes supposed to take you, an hour or so?

you can knock one out in 10-15 minutes if you're flying.

i also think a lot of people play on easy or are at beginner levels and like to thrust that impression onto the whole game. like shooting skags in borderlands tells everything that you need to know.

some of the bosses do need work though. the cabal and vex definitely got the most love in that department

Trey

i also think a lot of people play on easy or are at beginner levels and like to thrust that impression onto the whole game. like shooting skags in borderlands tells everything that you need to know.

My boy said it was on heroic. I know not the difference. I can't speak to the rest of Destiny, of course. Saw him do some ill shit with that bladedancer thinger you guys were hyping, but that particular match was laggy so there wasn't much else of note.

Google has an office in Cambridge, MA? I frequent visit that area and never notice

It's in Kendall, right next to the clover restaurant (not the food truck). It's not super prominently advertised, but it's there. Also next to MIT bookstore. And under the 'secret' rooftop, which they apparently own now but still let everyone use.

Unrelated - in 2009, OK cupid released some stats regarding interracial dating on their site. The short version of the story was that black people and asian men were getting the short end of the stick (asian women and white men received the most positive attention).

But in five years, probably a lot changed, right? right?
wrong
They just published an update to those statistics
http://blog.okcupid.com/

Silver lining (?)- people's own beliefs about their racial preferences improved (i.e. fewer people say 'i wouldn't date someone from a different race'). It's just that their actual rating behavior hasn't changed. It would be fascinating to see the actual results of dating (they can only report on how people rate profiles, but not if they actually end meeting/dating/hooking up).

andthebeatgoeson

It's in Kendall, right next to the clover restaurant (not the food truck). It's not super prominently advertised, but it's there. Also next to MIT bookstore. And under the 'secret' rooftop, which they apparently own now but still let everyone use.

Unrelated - in 2009, OK cupid released some stats regarding interracial dating on their site. The short version of the story was that black people and asian men were getting the short end of the stick (asian women and white men received the most positive attention).

But in five years, probably a lot changed, right? right?
wrong
They just published an update to those statistics
http://blog.okcupid.com/

Silver lining (?)- people's own beliefs about their racial preferences improved (i.e. fewer people say 'i wouldn't date someone from a different race'). It's just that their actual rating behavior hasn't changed. It would be fascinating to see the actual results of dating (they can only report on how people rate profiles, but not if they actually end meeting/dating/hooking up).
I can respect a company, at least talking about these things. It helps generate conversation, at least. Better than others who catch laryngitis.

Before they revealed what destiny actually was, I was hoping it was Halo/Mass Effect. Hearing how non existent the story is maybe its a good thing it wasn't.

Slayven

You played Halo before? Hell even marathon, Bungie sucks for story crafting, even for the low bar of video games.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I played like an hour or two of Destiny yesterday and was bored out of my mind. Stopped to go back to UNIEL and then played EDF instead.

Gonna try again today because I want to be 20+ for when raids and shit start. but this early game is killing me

and yeah I got into a drop or something at level 2 and had to just leave it since I didn't have enough bullets.I mean I only had 800

You played Halo before? Hell even marathon, Bungie sucks for story crafting, even for the low bar of video games.

Never "got" Halo. The shooting was solid from what I played but that story seemed generic as hell. Kids were reading the novels and swearing by it in school but it always sounded dry and boring as hell.

I think I'm done with Destiny after the raid. Glad I didn't spring for the DLC.

Slayven

Never "got" Halo. The shooting was solid from what I played but that story seemed generic as hell. Kids were reading the novels and swearing by it in school but it always sounded dry and boring as hell.

I think I'm done with Destiny after the raid. Glad I didn't spring for the DLC.

yeah so folks swear Halo is up there with The Jungle Book or something. If Halo had been a comic, that shit would have to be self published because that is how bad it is.

GoTY is gonna be interesting this year..I wouldn't count The last of us, GTA or Chief Collection.

So basically Nintendo wins.

MK8, Smash and Bayo2.

MK8 is probably my GoTY atm with Dark Souls2 close behind(still need to finish it). Destiny will be at the bottom of my top 10 next to Infamous and 2K15 if it doesn't ruin itself further.

BHZ Mayor

All this talk about Nintendo's GOTY contenders and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze hasn't been mentioned once. I guess that's the price you pay for coming out so early in the year.

All this talk about Nintendo's GOTY contenders and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze hasn't been mentioned once. I guess that's the price you pay for coming out so early in the year.

Haven't played it. But yea Nintendo deserves a lot of credit if Bayo and Smash deliver, they could very well have nearly half of the top 10 games of the year exclusively on the wiiu.

DY_nasty

like Dy says, if you going to games for the story you are doing it wrong.

everything about the lore and atmosphere of the game is probably among the best i've ever seen. its the story telling - it isn't offensive, just... its like a pamphlet of a story if there's such a thing.

but if you're really going on about how the story is the make/break of a game then stfu and try and play nier while explaining to everyone why its not the best selling game of all time.

like Dy says, if you going to games for the story you are doing it wrong.

I'm not willing to give Destiny that pass. I'm hard pressed to think of a worse story or worse told story. This shits been in development forever and heavily bankrolled, I almost feel disrespected by how shit the story is lol.

Silky

Banned
yeah so folks swear Halo is up there with The Jungle Book or something. If Halo had been a comic, that shit would have to be self published because that is how bad it is.

Halo's lore is great and storytelling is strong for a first person shooter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom