• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna deposit something here and let you gentlemen decide what to do with this information. I'm not going to bold or highlight. I'll let you do that. I consider it thread-worthy, but I don't have the energy to do it. I'm all spent on race issues. Feel free to make it your own and post accordingly if you're up for a healthy debate.

dfXsiNb.png

RACE AND PUNISHMENT: Racial Perceptions Of Crime And Support For Punitive Policies

Executive Summary:
The American criminal justice system is at a critical juncture. In recent years, federal policymakers have called for reforms, following the lead of states that have reduced prison populations without compromising public safety. Nationwide prison counts have fallen every year since 2010, and the racial gap in imprisonment rates has also begun to narrow. Yet the recent tragic events in Ferguson, Missouri – where the killing of an unarmed African American teenager has sparked outrage – highlight the ongoing relevance of race in the criminal justice system.

Highlight points:

• White Americans are more punitive than people of color.
  • Whites misjudge how much crime is committed by African Americans and Latinos.
  • Whites who more strongly associate crime with racial minorities are more supportive of punitive policies.
  • Media crime coverage fuels racial perceptions of crime.
  • Policymakers’ actions and statements amplify the public’s racial associations of crime.
  • Criminal justice practitioners also operate with and reinforce racial perceptions of crime.
  • Racial perceptions of crime have distorted the criminal justice system.
  • Racial perceptions of crime have undermined public safety.
http://sentencingproject.org/doc/publications/rd_Race_and_Punishment.pdf

http://newpittsburghcourieronline.com/2014/09/16/blacks-commit-less-crimes-than-whites-think/

Content is long and exhaustive (just how I like my research), and well worth your time.

Reminds me of the time when this group of white girls walked into the Walgreens I work at and they said "Should I ge this...or nah."

Me and this dude, black, just looked at each other like "Da fuck? " and laughed. Shit was weird but funny.

So, this happened the other day, and I wanted to post about it here, but thought it was stupid. But it has been bothering me. Been in the back of my head. I apologize of I sound ignorant, and feel free to call me an idiot. I legit have OCD so its been picking at my brain x_x

I was at a friends party, and someone asked me for a cigarette and he said "fam". White guy asks me this. There was a black guy in our group whom I nor my friends knew, we had just mingled with each other earlier so a bunch of us were just chilling in the yard together. He was a friend of a friend of the host, I found this out later when I asked around about him, since what he said bothered me, so I was trying to find him and see if everything was cool and why he was offended. He had left already though.

Anyway...After this guy asked me for a cig and says "fam", the black dude just looked at the guy who asked me for a cig and said "fam? really??" and did an eye roll and walked away. Most of my friends were drunk as shit, so they didn't think much of it. I was taken back.

I honestly thought fam is another way to say "bro" or whatever. Is there something I am missing here?
did he sound like a buster when he said "fam" because that could have influenced the black guys perception of the situation.

andthebeatgoeson

So, this happened the other day, and I wanted to post about it here, but thought it was stupid. But it has been bothering me. Been in the back of my head. I apologize of I sound ignorant, and feel free to call me an idiot. I legit have OCD so its been picking at my brain x_x

I was at a friends party, and someone asked me for a cigarette and he said "fam". White guy asks me this. There was a black guy in our group whom I nor my friends knew, we had just mingled with each other earlier so a bunch of us were just chilling in the yard together. He was a friend of a friend of the host, I found this out later when I asked around about him, since what he said bothered me, so I was trying to find him and see if everything was cool and why he was offended. He had left already though.

Anyway...After this guy asked me for a cig and says "fam", the black dude just looked at the guy who asked me for a cig and said "fam? really??" and did an eye roll and walked away. Most of my friends were drunk as shit, so they didn't think much of it. I was taken back.

I honestly thought fam is another way to say "bro" or whatever. Is there something I am missing here?
Maybe he interpreted 'Fam' in a condescending way. Some people exaggerate the lingo and make it sound antagonizing.

cdyhybrid

So a dude in the NFL thread just admitted to knocking up a 17 year old at 30. And apparently she just gave birth and said it was someone else's. Rather, she's 17 now and just gave birth, so she might have been 16 when she got knocked up.

J10

Banned
So a dude in the NFL thread just admitted to knocking up a 17 year old at 30. And apparently she just gave birth and said it was someone else's. Rather, she's 17 now and just gave birth, so she might have been 16 when she got knocked up.

Stop snitching.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear

Omg

Link?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Gonna deposit something here and let you gentlemen decide what to do with this information. I'm not going to bold or highlight. I'll let you do that. I consider it thread-worthy, but I don't have the energy to do it. I'm all spent on race issues. Feel free to make it your own and post accordingly if you're up for a healthy debate.

dfXsiNb.png

RACE AND PUNISHMENT: Racial Perceptions Of Crime And Support For Punitive Policies

Executive Summary:
The American criminal justice system is at a critical juncture. In recent years, federal policymakers have called for reforms, following the lead of states that have reduced prison populations without compromising public safety. Nationwide prison counts have fallen every year since 2010, and the racial gap in imprisonment rates has also begun to narrow. Yet the recent tragic events in Ferguson, Missouri – where the killing of an unarmed African American teenager has sparked outrage – highlight the ongoing relevance of race in the criminal justice system.

Highlight points:

• White Americans are more punitive than people of color.
  • Whites misjudge how much crime is committed by African Americans and Latinos.
  • Whites who more strongly associate crime with racial minorities are more supportive of punitive policies.
  • Media crime coverage fuels racial perceptions of crime.
  • Policymakers’ actions and statements amplify the public’s racial associations of crime.
  • Criminal justice practitioners also operate with and reinforce racial perceptions of crime.
  • Racial perceptions of crime have distorted the criminal justice system.
  • Racial perceptions of crime have undermined public safety.
http://sentencingproject.org/doc/publications/rd_Race_and_Punishment.pdf

http://newpittsburghcourieronline.com/2014/09/16/blacks-commit-less-crimes-than-whites-think/

Content is long and exhaustive (just how I like my research), and well worth your time.
I'll bite. Digging into this tomorrow and over the weekend. Thanks DV.

Kreed

And he's married. Time to call Maury.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Knock up a kid and celebrate when some other kid steps up as more of a man than you brehs.

Why wouldn't he? He just avoided being exposed to his wife and the financial burden of a child. That's like winning the scumbag lottery.

Sucks for everyone else involved directly and indirectly but hey!

Fuckin MS and this damn Surface 3 commercial got me listening to that damn 2NE1 song. Ugh
Mark my words, every one says they want a Deadpool movie, until there is one.
True
Handcuffed man shot in Savannah. Yep.
Par for the course
This Bucs game terrible
Shit was embarassing as fuck, Tampa Bay fans took an L of all Ls. Shit it was 35 to 0 before the damn first half was over. Scust.
No defending yourself while black..
Pretty sure at this point, America is trying to tell black people to just die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom