• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you're arguing that this one nameless (pure coincidence I'm sure) designer is the representative of all Native Americans and as such Native Americans shouldn't be outraged?

Bruh...wut?

Malyse

So you're arguing that this one nameless (pure coincidence I'm sure) designer is the representative of all Native Americans and as such Native Americans shouldn't be outraged?

Bruh...wut?

"my black friend wasn't offended so its cool"
will-smith-620x400.jpg

As for this designed by a Native American. Well that's complete bullshit. The actual story is that the team was named after William Dietz who was a coach for a time. He basically lied to people saying he was Native American when in fact he was not at all.

Dietz's Indian heritage was first contested in 1916 after former neighbors who settled on the Pacific Coast heard he was posing as an Indian. In December 1918 the Federal Bureau of Investigation looked into his heritage after he fraudulently registered for the draft as a "Non-Citizen Indian" with an allotment. The Bureau found he had taken on the identity of James One Star, an Oglala man of the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation 12 years his senior who had disappeared in 1894. Dietz also falsely claimed he was the head of an American film company that produced propaganda films for the war.

Dietz divorced De Cora in November 1918, charging her with abandonment. It is not clear how much she knew about his true identity. She died six days after his indictment.

Dietz was tried in Spokane, Washington in June of 1919 for the first offense. One Star's sister, Sallie Eaglehorse, testified after seeing him for the first time at the trial that Dietz was definitely not her brother. Still, the judge instructed the jury to determine whether Dietz "believed" he was an Indian, not whether it was true. Despite that others had witnessed his birth in the summer of 1884 or had seen him the following day, Dietz's mother Leanna claimed he was the Indian son of her husband who had been switched a week or more after she had a stillbirth. Dietz's acting ability along with his mother's fallacious testimony (to protect him from prison) resulted in a hung jury, but Dietz was immediately re-indicted. The second trial resulted in a sentence of 30 days in the Spokane County Jail after he pleaded "no contest".

Which makes sense as vast majority of Native Americans would have never referred to themselves as redskins; a derogatory term that was wholly created by European settlers.

Oh you're one of those head in the sand type people. I view you so much differently now, sigh another lost soul lost.

Also, you really can't just drop "UNPOPULAR OPINION ALERT" and just try to "lol *shrugs* I told you it was unpopular :3"

UNPOPULAR OPINION: the whole black people thing? Inferior to white people. They should be thankful we brought them over from Niggapolis, Africa to here in America.

Should have just kept your damn mouth shut if you knew you were about to say some dumbass shit

Charlo Greene is too damn cute and beautiful.

Also, you really can't just drop "UNPOPULAR OPINION ALERT" and just try to "lol *shrugs* I told you it was unpopular :3"

UNPOPULAR OPINION: the whole black people thing? Inferior to white people. They should be thankful we brought them over from Niggapolis, Africa to here in America.

For real

KumaJG

Not to trying to dogpile here but DreamDrop, nah man. Nah. It doesn't work like that.She is one bad chick. Hot as hell too. This whole thing probably did more for her career than the entire time she was with the news.

It going to hurt her in the long run

Imm0rt4l

Should have just kept your damn mouth shut if you knew you were about to say some dumbass shit

word, either fall on your sword or defend your opinion(you can't).

It going to hurt her in the long run

Only if she ever tries to get back into broadcasting or a corporate type job; there are smaller outlets that would definitely take her provided she's willing to leave that cold ass place. We'll only see more states legalize marijuana as time goes on, doubly so after seeing Colorado's positive growth because of it. Honestly her short-term is fucked (I mean where is she going to work? And that donation money will only last her so long) but her long-term could work out quite well if she's business savvy.

Malyse

the fuq

You know your opinion isn't really worth anything if this is what you respond with in regards to criticism. It's like the 'oops I was only PRETENDING to be retarded' thing

Except I'm not pulling a loljk. As soon as I find the story I read, I'll post it.

This is really the hill you want to die on? It's not even what I would call an "unpopular" opinion. It's an ignorant and disrespectful opinion. Try and think on it with more empathy and awareness in the future.

It's absolutely an opinion. If what I read is correct, which at least partially is not and thank you for that (fuck iPhone defaulting to bing), then I don't really take issue. In my opinion.

KumaJG

Only if she ever tries to get back into broadcasting or a corporate type job; there are smaller outlets that would definitely take her provided she's willing to leave that cold ass place. We'll only see more states legalize marijuana as time goes on, doubly so after seeing Colorado's positive growth because of it. Honestly her short-term is fucked (I mean where is she going to work? And that donation money will only last her so long) but her long-term could work out quite well if she's business savvy.

I think the opposite. Short-term will be fine since she is getting all this exposure. Long term I dont see that many opportunities for her because of how unprofessional she quit her job.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Except I'm not pulling a loljk. As soon as I find the story I read, I'll post it.

It's absolutely an opinion. If what I read is correct, which at least partially is not and thank you for that (fuck iPhone defaulting to bing), then I don't really take issue. In my opinion.

do you know what a redskin is?

So you don't even do the bare minimum (proper research) and only go on the word of one dubious source that you can't even find?

Bruh...BRUH! This is some straight baby boomer, midwest conservative as fuck, "Fox News said it so it must be true" type shit that stormfront using racists use to justify their racist views. How can you not see this like at all?! Bruh!

icYtynxZx6yvb.gif

Imm0rt4l

when you find this source are you just going to disregard what is said everywhere else?

DY_nasty

that 2004 report saying "90% were cool with it" let anyone claiming to have cherokee hair identify as a native american too

it was a joke survey

I think the opposite. Short-term will be fine since she is getting all this exposure. Long term I dont see that many opportunities for her because of how unprofessional she quit her job.

Long-term if she's business savvy she should be wholly self sufficient. Besides she made a statement saying Vox approached her. New age hipster run companies will hire her because of what she did...old guard companies won't hire her...because of what she did.

strobogo

Banned
real shit

if you ever hear someone going in on "the end times are approaching", just dismiss the fuck out of them and keep it moving.

the statement just shouts from the rooftops the lack of perspective one has... literally the best period in human history and improving every day

edit: also, devo is the mother of all haters. literally went on two 15-kill streaks and she talking about some 'how about you hurry the fuck up and capture point C'. i ain't slayven, you swagger jacking shotgun noob

I have an uncle who is very easy to get started on the end of times...for America shit. Most of it has to do with Obummer and guns and health care and all that bullshit that is unfortunate.

Malyse

when you find this source are you just going to disregard what is said everywhere else?

Story I heard was that the owners was so impressed by the skill of a young Native American team, they named the Washington team for them. To me, that makes a hell of a lot more sense than fuck it, let's be racist assholes. Maybe that's just the level of naive optimist I am. If that's completely false, I'm completely in the wrong.

That being said, Emmitt was absolutely right. Team should be named the Skins.

Story I heard was that the owners was so impressed by the skill of a young Native American team, they named the Washington team for them. To me, that makes a hell of a lot more sense than fuck it, let's be racist assholes. Maybe that's just the level of naive optimist I am. If that's completely false, I'm completely in the wrong.

That being said, Emmitt was absolutely right. Team should be named the Skins.

like renaming the Carolina Porchmonkeys to the Carolina Monkeys...

akira28

. To me, that makes a hell of a lot more sense than fuck it, let's be racist assholes. Maybe that's just the level of naive optimist I am. If that's completely false, I'm completely in the wrong.

well seeing as this is the bridge between the late 19th century and the early 20th, I don't see why this is so far outside of the realm of possibility. Folk history is a shakey thing. Especially when you have people trying to justify the name for no other reason than 'they like it'.

They need to do away with skins completely. Most of the time I just hear people referring to them as the deadskins.

Malyse

well seeing as this is the bridge between the late 19th century and the early 20th, I don't see why this is so far outside of the realm of possibility.

They need to do away with skins completely. Most of the time I just hear people referring to them as the deadskins.

I thought we were being less overt at that point.

Redskins are the third biggest team moneywise, behind the Cowboys and the Patriots. That's why this is such a big deal.

Though, really. There's nothing better than selling the same thing twice, so maybe changing the name would be good business…

Why do I feel like this could've been me during the whole "I don't mind if other people say nigga" thing lol

Naw. I've swung at people for that shit.

Imm0rt4l

Why do I feel like this could've been me during the whole "I don't mind if other people say nigga" thing lol

I was at the bar the other day and this white dude very nonchalantly said "some other nigga" or something to that effect. My boy(Mexican) goes up to him and says "Hey what was that you said? I didn't hear you" jokingly so that he'd have to repeat it in front of me. I go up to dude like "the fuck you just say?!" and I can sense he kinda just wanted to just crawl into his shell. Then I'm like 'I'm fucking with you lol'. I just kinda let that be a lesson to him but kept it playful. No need to get kicked out the bar over some dumb shit. plus I was drunk.

DY_nasty

I was at the bar the other day and this white dude very nonchalantly said "some other nigga" or something to that effect. My boy(Mexican) goes up to him and says "Hey what was that you said? I didn't hear you" jokingly so that he'd have to repeat it in front of me. I go up to dude like "the fuck you just say?!" and I can sense he kinda just wanted to just crawl into his shell. Then I'm like 'I'm fucking with you lol'. I was drunk.

you are entirely too fucking big for that shit and you know it lol

you're that unarmed black man that the cops shoot and everyone is like "i completely understand"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom