• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spoilers so I don't ruin anything for Jado.

Really. Neji was my favorite, next to Gaara. Kishimoto ruined them both when Naruto talk no jutsu'd them. But the way Neji's death happened was so wack.

Naruto didn't TNJ Neji. He gave him a Shin Shoryuken and knocked some sense into him.

Spoilers so I don't ruin anything for Jado.

Really. Neji was my favorite, next to Gaara. Kishimoto ruined them both when Naruto talk no jutsu'd them. But the way Neji's death happened was so wack.

I call what happened to them "getting Piccoloed."

Especially, Neiji. Turn a smart ass, cool antagonist slowly into a boring "serious" background character to play the straight man in some gags.

Sumire Kanzaki

Neo Member
I'm on Shippuden season 1 with Naruto and Co. rescuing Gaara from the Akatsuki.

Why is Neji, a skilled Jonin, running around with two Chunnin under goofy Guy. Tsunade gave Shikamaru, a rookie 13-year old Chunin, his own team for a very dangerous mission. Why is Neji already getting that jobber status? Nearly whupped by a dumb clone.

Because Kishimoto didn't know what to do with half of the characters after the Time Skip. One of Naruto's biggest assets is that most of the Kohona 11 actually had it in them to be interesting characters beyond their already interesting power sets. However, when Kishimoto decided to focus the story on Naruto's and Sasuke's differing paths, there really wasn't any room to develop the rest of the characters.

It's more or less what happened to Dragon Ball after the Saiyans got introduced.

Mortemis

Banned
Naruto didn't TNJ Neji. He gave him a Shin Shoryuken and knocked some sense into him.

Man, loved Naruto back then. Back when it was about a boy who has everything against him trying his hardest to be someone.

How the writer can't see that
making Naruto some chosen one/reincarnation/prodigy bullshit
ruined the series makes no sense to me.

KumaJG

It sad that Sakura so damn useless. She shouldn't be a character in the series. Itachi, Gaara and
Madara
best characters in the series. To a lesser extant Sasuke.

It sad that Sakura so damn useless. She shouldn't be a character in the series. Itachi, Gaara and
Madara

I keep waiting for that Sakura moment, but every time she gets a chance to shine, Naruto or Sasuke takes it away from her.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
"Yes officer, I overheard her telling somebody that she could "Make it clap" and I'm sure they were talking about guns"

BvR7rIjIQAAvRkK.jpg

who is this guy?

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Gaara changed to a much better character after his first fight with Naruto.

I liked that he stopped being so crazy but he was boring after the talk because there was nothing left of who he used to be. He still could have been a scary character and kinda unstable. He needed to struggle with that. I found it weird that his 360 change was done the way it was.

Did the dude writing it expect people to get sad or something? Like characters dying has been a joke to me the moment that the writer decided to
bring everyone that died fighting pain back to life.

Same. I was upset about Neji but the series had long been awful so I was more disgusted that Neji was used to shock fans and get a reaction than be a legit sacrifice ala Jiraiya.

He kinda did. He told him he would change the Hyuga for him and all that... it was pretty lousy of him to be cool with that.

I didn't like how everything focused around Naruto, it's true it's named after him but it was as if everyone had no true relationships with anyone else in their lives to the extent as Naruto. He was Jesus for everyone and that drove me mad.

Madara

Everyone was bad in Naruto, to me. Save maybe a few characters. But Kishimoto had a lot of hatred for Sakura, that's for sure. He acts like he has issues with women to the max or something.

I call what happened to them "getting Piccoloed."

Especially, Neiji. Turn a smart ass, cool antagonist slowly into a boring "serious" background character to play the straight man in some gags.

Yep, agree 100%. Neji was awesome, but then he changed, got boring and then used as a joke in the end. Tragic but hey, all of it was to me.

Kreed

who is this guy?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/18/ferguson-supporters-police-killed-teenager-protest

While the crowds protesting in Ferguson have been predominantly African American, all but one of the demonstrators showing their support for Wilson were white. A stack of dark blue T-shirts, on sale for $7 and bearing a police-style badge stating: “Officer Darren Wilson – I stand by you,” quickly sold out.

One was bought by Martin Baker, a consultant and former Republican congressional primary candidate and the only black member of the crowd. “People are too quick to play the race card,” said Baker, 44, on widespread claims by black residents Ferguson residents that they are subjected to institutional racism by the city’s almost unanimously white authorities. “Lawlessness knows no colour.”

Baker said the demonstrators in Ferguson “want to see more crime, they want to see things get disrespectful. And there are some of us who refuse to allow it to happen.” He accused Brown of having a “criminalistic bent” after a police report released on Friday alleged that he had stolen cigars from a convenience store minutes before he died.

Jado

Banned
Man, loved Naruto back then. Back when it was about a boy who has everything against him trying his hardest to be someone.

How the writer can't see that
making Naruto some chosen one/reincarnation/prodigy bullshit
ruined the series makes no sense to me.

Yeah, the bolded is what I like about the show. I'm pretty much dreading the transformation and slowly see it building up to that.

Everyone was bad in Naruto, to me. Save maybe a few characters. But Kishimoto had a lot of hatred for Sakura, that's for sure. He acts like he has issues with women to the max or something.

I've had this feeling from very early on. All the girls are weak and boy-crazy, bordering on helpless. Only villain girls (Sound, Sand) are portrayed as competent.

It's a universal thing. My hispanic culture uses a lot of flavorful seasoning. My girlfriend's uses hot spices. American food is just incredibly bland in comparison, even versions of latin dishes, to the point of sometimes tasting quite bad. It's weird.

I'm Puerto Rican myself, so I'll get the "oh that's why you like your food spicy!" line every now and then. Most people usually think I'm white with a decent tan, though. Half-german.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
That's a pretty huge spoiler I haven't reached yet. I did read about it online so I'm not mad or anything.

Anyway, so it seems like "no logic" is the answer to my question.

Any concept of world development/balance established in part 1 is completely disregarded in part 2

Which is a shame since naruto had a more interesting world than even One Piece at one point. Gets alot smaller in part 2

Jado

Banned
Fuck. Imagine if Devo didn't rebuff all of Slay's advances and was in the car with him! Could have lost one of my favorite posters.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Just got pulled over by cops. Will say more when I get home

Got pulled over last week coming from the movies with a friend. Two white cops while my friend was a white female (no Wynning, just a friend). Reason? I turned my high beams on because it was dark and they had just had reports of a gunshot in the area. I LOOKED SUSPICIOUS. I get asked to step out of the car, while they give me the "Good Cop, Bad Cop" routine. I told them, "Look, I just came back from the movies and I'm taking my friend home. My tags are legal, I have a clean record. Can I just go?" They run my registration and let me go. My friend starts crying as I drive her home and she asks why I'm not shaken from the event. My response: "Because I have nothing to fear. I did nothing wrong and have no warrants. If they were expecting me to turn into an Uncle Tom, they go the wrong nigga." I haven't even told my mother about the incident because she would start worrying about me. :/

Wynnebeck

Banned
Sometimes I wonder how safe I keep Timedog honestly.

There's something inherently devious about a black male driving with a white female that causes cops to assume the worst. Thank God I actually didn't have any outstanding warrants or tickets. I would have gotten the Rodney King treatment the way the cops were grilling me.

Got pulled over last week coming from the movies with a friend. Two white cops while my friend was a white female (no Wynning, just a friend). Reason? I turned my high beams on because it was dark and they had just had reports of a gunshot in the area. I LOOKED SUSPICIOUS. I get asked to step out of the car, while they give me the "Good Cop, Bad Cop" routine. I told them, "Look, I just came back from the movies and I'm taking my friend home. My tags are legal, I have a clean record. Can I just go?" They run my registration and let me go. My friend starts crying as I drive her home and she asks why I'm not shaken from the event. My response: "Because I have nothing to fear. I did nothing wrong and have no warrants. If they were expecting me to turn into an Uncle Tom, they go the wrong nigga." I haven't even told my mother about the incident because she would start worrying about me. :/

you know, every now and then I think back about just how lucky I've been with cops.

The fuck yall niggas doing in here? Nothing too black, I hope.

How much more black could the thread be?

None. None more black.

BHZ Mayor

Slayven, where do you reside and are they worse than NYPD over there? Although I did see some good news recently.

EXCLUSIVE: NYPD stop-and-frisks drop 99% in Brooklyn, while shootings increase* in Brownsville, East New York
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...shootings-increase-brooklyn-article-1.1905456

*Tiny, marginal increase that it could be coincidence or just about any other reason besides the drop in stop/frisk. Maybe deserves its own thread.

I'd like to see the mental gymnastics used to say that only 10-20 more shootings is somehow caused by over 10,000 less stops. They'll probably conveniently ignore the hard numbers and go for the percentages.

I'd like to see the mental gymnastics used to say that only 10-20 more shootings is somehow caused by over 10,000 less stops. They'll probably conveniently ignore the hard numbers and go for the percentages.

hmm...it's actually fairly likely that stop and frisks were preventing SOME shootings somewhere. The vast majority weren't, and it's definitely not worth the complete loss of privacy, but crime going up marginally isn't really a surprise.

Slayven

Yeah got pulled over for tint. Funny how I was on the other side town when it happens, the 50 million patrolmen that roll pass my hood a day never say anything.

Yeah got pulled over for taint. Funny how I was on the other side town when it happens, the 50 million patrolmen that roll pass my hood a day never say anything.

There's a joke here about personal hygiene somewhere, but I'm not clever enough to make it.

Yeah got pulled over for taint. Funny how I was on the other side town when it happens, the 50 million patrolmen that roll pass my hood a day never say anything.

Well, even while driving, you should be wearing some form of clothing. And wash ya ass, man.

But yea, tint is the catchall for pretextial police stops on black men.

Yeah got pulled over for tint. Funny how I was on the other side town when it happens, the 50 million patrolmen that roll pass my hood a day never say anything.

Happen to me a while back, cop thought I was a dopeboy cause he came with the dog out and everything. He seen me in my work uniform and made same talk about how long I been there etc etc. He ran my license and gave me a warning about my tint. Had my tint for 5 years and all of a sudden it not the legal percent.

New OT.

*Puts bags down*

Still kicking family. That motherfucker Riov....*ahem* Revanche in this shit.

Anybody studying law, cause I got court for a Temporary Protection Order filed against me from that lying bitch of an ex.

Slayven

Happen to me a while back, cop thought I was a dopeboy cause he came with the dog out and everything. He seen me in my work uniform and made same talk about how long I been there etc etc. He ran my license and gave me a warning about my tint. Had my tint for 5 years and all of a sudden it not the legal percent.

Ga Barney Fifs be all about getting folks for that tint.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
New OT.

*Puts bags down*

Still kicking family. That motherfucker Riov....*ahem* Revanche in this shit.

Anybody studying law, cause I got court for a Temporary Protection Order filed against me from that lying bitch of an ex.

Stay up playboy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom