• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT9| More Priest, Less Hudlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onemic

Hey, for the most part, they've been able to fool the gaming masses with that image perception. Only in the Western gaming industry can a two-time 3rd place finisher be considered in the "lead" for a generation. Microsoft isn't able to pull that kind of thing off in any other industry it's involved in, even in the PC & business sector markets, where they actually ARE in the market leader position.

Yeah, the gaming industry is full of gullible idiots.

3rd for last gen, but I'm pretty sure they were 2nd during the ps2/xbox/gc gen.

But ya, the US is considered the entire world in the Western gaming industry so its not that surprising, just annoying.

How in the hell is sriacha hot?

Its not but you point out the suckers who identify with that stupid oatmeal comic.

sriracha-top-590x360.jpg

Trey

In no appreciable manner can you say Xbox was third or second in console sales. In the territories that buy the most gaming shit, Xbox won. World wide, it's virtually tied (with a slight edge to ps3 that was built after the next gen started).

The Wii was selling pretty badly right up to the Wii U launch. That trend continued. So going into the announcement of MS and Sony's next consoles, the driver seat of the new generation was considered up for grabs. MS didn't pull the wool over anyone's eyes; Xbox 360 was the lead platform for most third party games, and it was where most of those sales went.

Shit went wrong for Microsoft this go round because they tried to pull a fast one while Sony stood firm. Sony earned their very solid current gen lead through much of the work that went into the ps4, while ms squandered their goodwill from the 360 and had to start pretty much from scratch.

But coming out of the ps360 era, MS had plenty leverage. It wasn't a position of weakness.

Onemic

In no appreciable manner can you say Xbox was third or second in console sales. In the territories that buy the most gaming shit, Xbox won. World wide, it's virtually tied (with a slight edge to ps3 that was built after the next gen started).

The Wii was selling pretty badly right up to the Wii U launch. That trend continued. So going into the announcement of MS and Sony's next consoles, the driver seat of the new generation was considered up for grabs. MS didn't pull the wool over anyone's eyes; Xbox 360 was the lead platform for most third party games, and it was where most of those sales went.

Shit went wrong for Microsoft this go round because they tried to pull a fast one while Sony stood firm. Sony earned their very solid current gen lead through much of the work that went into the ps4, while ms squandered their goodwill from the 360 and had to start pretty much from scratch.

But coming out of the ps360 era, MS had plenty leverage. It wasn't a position of weakness.

...but it was third in console sales last gen. This is a fact. Even though the Wii fizzled out at the end of the gen and sold like shit, it still sold more consoles than either Sony or MS. You can't say it doesnt count because of some arbitrary filter you're putting on total sales.

jWILL253

Banned
3rd for last gen, but I'm pretty sure they were 2nd during the ps2/xbox/gc gen.

But ya, the US is considered the entire world in the Western gaming industry so its not that surprising, just annoying.

Extremely annoying. Like, I can't even go into Gaming Side anymore and read an Xbox thread, or read an article on the Xbox ONE, without cringing. People think Microsoft is entitled to success just for existing, and say that it's about "competition". It's like, look, Microsoft can't manage to sell a damn thing outside of two countries in the whole entire world; but it still tried to act like the gaming market and the PC market are the same thing, and tried to force EVERYONE into some bullshit. And outside of a couple Black Fridays, they are getting their asses handed to them for it.

THAT is REAL "competition". Microsoft had to realize that they need more than the US and UK to be successful.

I kinda wish someone would do a bit of investigative journalism into the 360's sales. The cynic in me believes that part of those numbers are artificially inflated thanks to people buying numerous replacements for RRoD'd White 360's out of warranty. Man, that console is such an anomaly. Any other product where over 50% of the product line fails gets removed from the market at once, but Microsoft gained marketshare from it.

---

This OP is pure truth.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=950512

Slayven

Extremely annoying. Like, I can't even go into Gaming Side anymore and read an Xbox thread, or read an article on the Xbox ONE, without cringing. People think Microsoft is entitled to success just for existing, and say that it's about "competition". It's like, look, Microsoft can't manage to sell a damn thing outside of two countries in the whole entire world; but it still tried to act like the gaming market and the PC market are the same thing, and tried to force EVERYONE into some bullshit. And outside of a couple Black Fridays, they are getting their asses handed to them for it.

THAT is REAL "competition". Microsoft had to realize that they need more than the US and UK to be successful.

I kinda wish someone would do a bit of investigative journalism into the 360's sales. The cynic in me believes that part of those numbers are artificially inflated thanks to people buying numerous replacements for RRoD'd White 360's out of warranty. Man, that console is such an anomaly. Any other product where over 50% of the product line fails gets removed from the market at once, but Microsoft gained marketshare from it.

---

This OP is pure truth.

Looking at it like that, it makes it seem like Square wants to live in the past.

---

This OP is pure truth.

You say you have no horse in this race but your spewing console warrior bs 101.

Malyse

---

This OP is pure truth.

That OP is ignorant. How dare they continue to release games when people keep buying them! I mean, has anything stolen the top PSN slot from FFVII? And aren't VIII and IX in the top ten as well? Naw, they make plenty of moves for profit outside of FF
and outside of games period
, so I'm not concerned. Its not like I'm obligated to buy games I don't want, nor am I entitled enough to think that they should cater to my personal tastes.

Onemic

What was Square's last legitimately bad game save vanilla 14?

Plus, what's with this filter that wants to pretend that SE Europe doesn't exist? People that pissed about Tomb Raider going exclusive?

13, 13-2, 13-3

And people arent counting SE publishing games. Tomb Raider wasnt developed by them.

ReiGun

What was Square's last legitimately bad game save vanilla 14?

Plus, what's with this filter that wants to pretend that SE Europe doesn't exist? People that pissed about Tomb Raider going exclusive?

Ignoring the fact that there's no discerning "legitimately bad" games since it's all subjective (unless you just mean broken games, which probably would make FF14 the only candidate), I do think they'd like to return to a time where they weren't thought of as incompetent boobs with their heads up their asses by everyone except their most loyal and diehard fans.

Malyse

13, 13-2, 13-3

And people arent counting SE publishing games. Tomb Raider wasnt developed by them.
Nope. I said legitimately bad, not disappointed fanboy bad. The reviews (for what they are worth) don't bear your statement and the fact that you would list them shows that you haven't played actually bad games. The 13 trilogy for all its flaws is not that damn bad. It's the fucking Pixar effect all over again.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/its-time-to-admit-final-fantasy-xiii-wasnt-actually-that-bad

Square owns Eidos. Just Cause is a Square Enix game. Hitman is a Square Enix game. Kane & Lynch is a Square Enix game. This isn't even second party; they made it. A studio they own entirely developed it. Its their game and people are just parsing it differently so they can maintain a Boo Square Sucks mentality. I find it intellectually dishonest and disingenuous.
Ignoring the fact that there's no discerning "legitimately bad" games since it's all subjective (unless you just mean broken games, which probably would make FF14 the only candidate), I do think they'd like to return to a time where they weren't thought of as incompetent boobs with their heads up their asses by everyone except their most loyal and diehard fans.
Challenge: name a Japanese pub from NES era that people don't hate on with regularity.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

maybe if they had more diversity in their titles other than final fantasy insert number here, dragon quest games that wont leave japan outside of mobile devices, and the eventual kingdom hearts, people would look on them better.

Trey

...but it was third in console sales last gen. This is a fact. Even though the Wii fizzled out at the end of the gen and sold like shit, it still sold more consoles than either Sony or MS. You can't say it doesnt count because of some arbitrary filter you're putting on total sales.

When did the ps3 pass 360 world wide? And by what margin? What is the margin today, and is it at all significant to say which is third and which is the distant second.

The point I'm driving at is that you (and, by proxy, jWill) speak as if MS didn't even cross the finish line. That PS3 was a clear and unanimous victor. If either console "won" the sales race, it was by a couple hundred thousand units at the most. Meanwhile, MS dominated the US and UK thoroughly, which are the two most gaming supportive regions. Combined with the software sales edge, the multiplatform advantage, and the most established online service, MS was in good shape.

This is why people speak of Microsoft as if they "won". Now if these people still speak of MS this way - as if the company deserves to win - then they are being delusional.

ReiGun

maybe if they had more diversity in their titles other than final fantasy insert number here, dragon quest games that wont leave japan outside of mobile devices, and the eventual kingdom hearts, people would look on them better.

Dragon Quest just makes me sad. Spent like 5 years developing a damn MMO for the Wii. The Wii, my nigga. I liked the Wii, but that was a dumbass idea.

Malyse

When did the ps3 pass 360 world wide? And by what margin? What is the margin today, and is it at all significant to say which is third and which is the distant second.

The point I'm driving at is that you (and, by proxy, jWill) speak as if MS didn't even cross the finish line. That PS3 was a clear and unanimous victor. If either console "won" the sales race, it was by a couple hundred thousand units at the most. Meanwhile, MS dominated the US and UK thoroughly, which are the two most gaming supportive regions. Combined with the software sales edge, the multiplatform advantage, and the most established online service, MS was in good shape.

This is why people speak of Microsoft as if they "won". Now if these people still speak of MS this way - as if the company deserves to win - then they are being delusional.
Does the Wii not exist in this scenario?

jWILL253

Banned
I love it when I don't like a particular thing, and have a strong opinion on said thing, I'm either a victim of a particular fallacy, or I'm a biased fanboy.

Malyse

Dragon Quest just makes me sad. Spent like 5 years developing a damn MMO for the Wii. The Wii, my nigga. I liked the Wii, but that was a dumbass idea.
Its on Wii U. And 3DS.
and PC

Also:
Generally praised by reviewers upon release, sales put the Wii version of the game as a top ten selling game in Japan in 2012
Top ten game on the number one console ain't too bad.

Trey

Does the Wii not exist is this scenario?

It does. It's implicated in the first few sentences where I said the two were squabbling over a distant second place. The Wii from 06 to 09 was unbelievable.

Also, as far as SE is concerned, their PC port of the FFIV DS remake runs at 15fps, so lol at them.

jWILL253

Banned
Not when spewing the multiple 360 red ring conspiracy. Especially because if it were true the 360 attach rate would have been the most amazing thing ever, to a point where its not a realistic theory.

It's not hard to make that kind of a stretch, though.

The Xbox 360 breaks five times as often as its closest failure-prone competitor, the PlayStation 3, a print edition-only Game Informer survey found.

The poorly manufactured, red ring of death-prone console has a 54.2 percent failure rate, compared to 10.6 percent for the PS3 and the Wii’s 6.8 percent.

The magazine surveyed nearly 5,000 readers to get the data. And while the 360’s rate is alarmingly higher than the others, it’s still bafflingly low because it blows the mind to imagine that 45.8 percent of the consoles have not broken. Also, Microsoft’s numbers are inflated because 360s are used the most of the three consoles. Results said 40.3 percent of 360 owners use the console three to five hours a day, compared to 37 percent of PS3 owners. Meanwhile, the plurality of Wii owners (41.4 percent) play their consoles less than an hour a day.

---

The most shocking number from the survey — and frightening from a consumer perspective — is only 3.8 percent of Xbox 360 owners said they’d never buy another Xbox because of hardware failure.

Malyse

It does. It's implicated in the first few sentences where I said the two were squabbling over a distant second place. The Wii from 06 to 09 was unbelievable.

Also, as far as SE is concerned, their PC port of the FFIV DS remake runs at 15fps, so lol at them.
Square pushing the "what the market will bear" concept at full tilt. Plus people are shitting on mobile games when they have made some really good mobile games. I'm not talking bout the ports, but the new IP. Chaos Rings Trilogy on Vita is something I can't wait to buy; my only issue with the CR series was that it would have felt better with buttons. Same with Agito+ and FFD and plenty of other stuff.

Onemic

Nope. I'm said legitimately bad, not disappointed fanboy bad. The reviews (for what they are worth) don't bear your statement and the fact that you would list them shows that you haven't played actually bad games. The 13 trilogy for all its flaws is not that damn bad. It's the fucking Pixar effect all over again.

Square owns Eidos. Just Cause is a Square Enix game. Hitman is a Square Enix game. Kane & Lynch is a Square Enix game. This isn't even second party; they made it. A studio they own entirely developed it. Its their game and people are just parsing it differently so they can maintain a Boo Square Sucks mentality. I find it intellectually dishonest and disingenuous.

Challenge: name a Japanese pub from NES era that people don't hate on with regularity.

Reviews were mixed, so no, my opinion on the 13 trilogy isn't just 'fanboy bad'.

And when people think of SE they think of games they made from their jpn studios. They're not thinking of SE Europe(AKA Eidos) Eidos made Hitman. Eidos was making Hitman way before SE bought them. SE developing from their own home grown studios(what most people think of when they think of SE) is different from studio they bought out developing games. And if you really want to bring Eidos to the forefront then you can add Kane and Lynch 2 to the list as well

Regardless the point is that SE is being lazy as fuck and people dont like it.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
okay

so in bleach

this motherfucker's power is that he controls everything that is black?

#inherently full effect

Malyse

Reviews were mixed, so no, my opinion on the 13 trilogy isn't just 'fanboy bad'.

And when people think of SE they think of games they made from their jpn studios. They're not thinking of SE Europe(AKA Eidos) Eidos made Hitman. Eidos was making Hitman way before SE bought them. SE developing from their own home grown studios(what most people think of when they think of SE) is different from studio they bought out developing games. And if you really want to bring Eidos to the forefront then you can add Kane and Lynch 2 to the list as well

Regardless the point is that SE is being lazy as fuck and people dont like it.
Reviews were mixed how? That's some revisionist history. Median 8/10 isn't mixed at all.

----

I hope that Time and Eternity (now there's an actually bad game) doesn't kill the chance of getting another game with Vofan art. I love the soft way he colors

Absolutely one of my all time fave character designers.

…

I want an Ito Noizi RPG.

harSon

Banned

You have to put things into perspective though. The Xbox 360 was coming off of a predecessor that sold 24 million units over the course of its existence, while Sony was coming off of two generations of being the undisputed king of console gaming - selling 102 million Playstations and 155 million Playstation 2's. They also completely negated the profits of the PS1 and PS2 over the course of the PS3's life cycle, and Sony as a while came out of the generation in near financial ruin. Microsoft was able to basically quadruple its predecessor, and was highly profitable over the lifetime of the Xbox 360. Sony fumbled away the throne, and had their install base cut in half. In this sense, even though the PS3 outpaced the 360 in the long run - it's not outlandish to say that Microsoft won the generation.

Having said that, you could also say that Sony better positioned themselves to succeed this generation (PSN+, internal 1st party investments, betting big on indies, etc.) then Microsoft was able to do with the 360 - which is definitely true considering Microsoft made a ton of moves around 2010 that came back to bite them in the next generation (Kinect, lack of internal investment, not adding value to Xbox Live, etc.) In that regard, you could make the argument that the Playstation 3 won the generation.

There's many ways you can cut it, but I think raw sales is a pretty half-assed way of doing it - especially considering the figures between the two platforms were so close in the end.

What brought this about?

You can't just drop a gem like this and not elaborate lmao

sorry family I forgot to update , it was a minor road rage incident that almost turned into a nigga moment, Im driving to work in my rapcar down a single lane road and this dumbass decides he's not gonna wait in the back and drives onto oncoming traffic and then he tries to force his way back in, I drop my window and
S3Vvo2R.gif
and I keep driving leaving him stranded. He eventually forces his way in 2 cars behind me and he's pissed. I get to a traffic stop and mr taxi driver decides hes gonna come have a "chat" about earlier, I see him run up
childplease.png
now Ive got a few in case shit items tucked away in my interior (baton under my seat, manits folder in driver storage and pepper spray in the driver side compartment)

I reach for the pepper spray and I let him have it soon as he arrives no questions asked, not like we were gonna have a civilized conversation anyway, I then had come out my whip to keep him from wandering into traffic, walked him back into his busted ass ride like this while he's flailing around swearing at me

BCH93VZCQAE3hG8.jpg

this is the shit I have to deal with

people are scared of them because they can do this but IDGAF really https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VyaHebfatI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP6MVQnAuIA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoQDBl-irMQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdZbc1pn0ZM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom