• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread XX

I just got back from seeing Detroit.

I really, really wish I didn't go see this movie. Maybe it is just a case of the straw braking the camel's back but it felt like an anvil was dropped on it instead. I was waiting, hoping and silently praying for a "12 years a slave"-esque ending where at least you have some sweetness to leave the cinema with. But no, none of that, just the cold hard crushing blow of reality. At the very least I managed to hold it together long enough to get to the car. I would not advise watching this movie unless you have a heart of steel. 0 stars, 0/10, Do not watch this movie and remain in the ignorance you didn't realise was so blissful until you lost it.

Gattsu25

Banned
I just got back from seeing Detroit.

I really, really wish I didn't go see this movie. Maybe it is just a case of the straw braking the camel's back but it felt like an anvil was dropped on it instead. I was waiting, hoping and silently praying for a "12 years a slave"-esque ending where at least you have some sweetness to leave the cinema with. But no, none of that, just the cold hard crushing blow of reality. At the very least I managed to hold it together long enough to get to the car. I would not advise watching this movie unless you have a heart of steel. 0 stars, 0/10, Do not watch this movie and remain in the ignorance you didn't realise was so blissful until you lost it.

My (spoiler filled) thoughts from right after watching it: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=245351940&postcount=45

My opinion has only lowered with time. ESPECIALLY after finding out that Boyega's character
participated in the beatings in real life
. Guess that wouldn't have fit the fiction the movie was trying to sell though.
Oh, and that technicality that allowed the police officers' confessions to get tossed? It was a common technique used for exactly that purpose and was not accidental.

I'd give this the exact same rating you did: There's no reason to see this movie.

Johndoey

Banned
I mean it's a well made, well directed movie with decent to great performances across the board. It's definitely worth seeing.
---
Going in to see Good Time.

Village

one link me to the last one

but two

DH_DpsdXoAE_4zM.jpg

I am dead

Johndoey

Banned
I still can't believe we have a President that can't speak in proper sentences. That's the thing I keep coming back to. Absolute ground floor shit.

Enzom21

He was scatterbrained, not stupid. And he was smart enough to surround himself with smart people, not sycophants.
They're both pretty stupid. The only thing separating the two is a modicum of sanity.
Bush was dumb and probably knew he couldn't run this country properly so he surrounded himself with smart people. Trump possesses none of that humility or self-awareness.

They're both pretty stupid. The only separating the two is a modicum of sanity.
Bush was dumb and probably knew he couldn't run this country properly so he surrounded himself with smart people. Trump posses none of that humility or self-awareness.

And at least, for all his many failings and mistakes, he was at least trying to do what he thought was best for the nation and it's people. He genuinely tried to do what he believed was right (despite being wrong on a lot obviously).

Trump is just a petty, spiteful little child who ran to get publicity for himself and when he won, decided "fuck this other people can do it for me". It's a staggering level of sheer incompetence.

Slayven

Over the last year I have become conflicted on W. He was a bad president, but i don't think he is a bad person, and he damn sure ain't evil.

Hell I use to define evil by Karl Rove, but he was nothing compared to what we got now.

Bush made errors but the more you look into him, he wasn't an evil or malicious character. His failings came from articulation and really not having any ability to connect to the minority community. His charity work post presidency has been commendable. He actually makes very good points about politics and the state of the nation. There's a reason. The current GOP hate him, and it isn't just the ire the nation once had for him. He's an actual human being...

Over the last year I have become conflicted on W. He was a bad president, but i don't think he is a bad person, and he damn sure ain't evil.

Hell I use to define evil by Karl Rove, but he was nothing compared to what we got now.
I was surprise about W's work in Africa when I learned about it.

D i Z

It's kind of bizarre that we have hit the low, low situation of being in a GoT parody. How ridiculous is this shit. I don't watch those tudor shows, but I can bet we're mirroring some of them because this fool is playing out what he likes in his head.
The fucking Lanisters are all up in this shit.

Enzom21

And at least, for all his many failings and mistakes, he was at least trying to do what he thought was best for the nation and it's people. He genuinely tried to do what he believed was right (despite being wrong on a lot obviously).

Trump is just a petty, spiteful little child who ran to get publicity for himself and when he won, decided "fuck this other people can do it for me". It's a staggering level of sheer incompetence.

I completely agree and I was only comparing their intelligence not their actions in office.
Trump is a return to the whole "a dumb president for dumb voters" nonsense that we seemed to move past with Obama.
Bush was very dumb but I never felt there was conscious malice from him.

It's kind of bizarre that we have hit the low, low situation of being in a GoT parody. How ridiculous is this shit. I don't watch those tudor shows, but I can bet we're mirroring some of them because this fool is playing out what he likes in his head.
The fucking Lanisters are all up in this shit.

Remember when Dick Cheney was the super evil secret puppet master who we all feared? And that was considered to be such an abnormal and horrible thing that we talked about it for years?

Now the whole god damn presidential cabinet other than, what, three people is ENTIRELY that.

Malyse

Man, this era has gone from "I don't wanna talk about it" to "I'm telling my grandkids about it". We went from the best president to the worst president. Progress is a goddamn boomerang.

D i Z

Remember when Dick Cheney was the super evil secret puppet master who we all feared? And that was considered to be such an abnormal and horrible thing that we talked about it for years?

Now the whole god damn presidential cabinet other than, what, three people is ENTIRELY that.

What I wanna know is why pull him out specifically and why now. There is so much more going on it's nuts.

What I wanna know is why pull him out specifically and why now. There is so much more going on it's nuts.

That's why.

Every single thing this administration has done, even their health care failures, has been nothing more than one long "LOOK OVER HERE" to the American people to distract from the reality of their malevolence and incompetence.

This whole presidency has just been one long distraction play.

D i Z

That's why.

Every single thing this administration has done, even their health care failures, has been nothing more than one long "LOOK OVER HERE" to the American people to distract from the reality of their malevolence and incompetence.

This whole presidency has just been one long distraction play.

Nah, I get that. I mean, why pull him out, of all people to do this for? What does this dude have that makes him so valuable?

cdyhybrid

Doesn't matter. The pardon alone is horrible and I sure as hell won't be distracted.

No doubt.

If you had that one in your pocket, wouldn't you just hold it while the storm hits? Why double up?

Transgender ban maybe?
That too.

I'm not even interested in finding the logic behind it anymore. They're all trash and everyone associated with them is as well. We're long past the point where reasonable people should have stepped in.

Conservative ideology needs to die.

Johndoey

Banned
Like we've had plenty of terrible administrations filled with awful people, but this type of disinterest in actual governance, and the fact the president acts out of hatred and petulance to the point of self sabotage is unprecedented.

Like we've had plenty of terrible administrations filled with awful people, but this type of disinterest in actual governance, and the fact the president acts out of hatred and petulance to the point of self sabotage is unprecedented.

Presidency will never be the same after its all said and done. The title of president means nothing now.

Johndoey

Banned
Good Time is sublime. It's a crime story focused on self sabotage and incompetence. A lot of the movie has this quality of disconnection from the events on screen. You're not so much seeing a scripted sequence of events so much as watching a person organically stumble through a series of increasingly dangerous fuck-ups. It does such a great job of establishing the lead character that 100% that these are the actions this character would take.

I love this movie. It's going to bomb so hard. I go to a fairly large Regal theater and only two other people saw the film with me.
---
And it's a quick sit I think about an hour forty or so.
--
The Florida Project could be alright, Dafoe is in so probably worth a watch just for that.
--
The Killing of a Sacred Deer trailer is fantastic, no real idea how the movie will go.
https://youtu.be/CQFdGfwChtw

The only good thing that will come out of this is we find out where people really stand

Yep. A lot of people started showing their ass when the election results came in and more are coming into the spotlight for all to see. I also think that finally, finally the veil that white folks in general had will finally come off and they see the country that we have been seeing forever. But even I know that's a pipe dream.

Top Bottom