• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread XX

Slayven

Asa Akira in 2017, Family Guy needs to do better

I tried to watch some streams to see more of the game and hear more music but good lord, how do you guys do it. It's like listening to a 12-year old that just discovered "bad words" so they say them every other word.

Watching people play games makes me antsy, I always wander off and play a game myself

This game oozes style and passion from the creators. They deserve all the success in the world, hand drawn animation especially on this level ain't cheap or easy.

iavi

Shit looks bad. People are falling in love with "the art style" but they aren't actually looking for that art. Gameplay looks garbage tbh.

Play the game

I think most of us are old enough to discern what we love and don’t about games at this point breh

Cupheads gameplay is amazing. Especially at later stages

D i Z

Play the game

I think most of us are old enough to discern what we love and don't about games at this point breh

Cupheads gameplay is amazing. Especially at later stages

Roll back those personally slights that I didn't make. If you can't take an opinion about a game, you're doing it wrong. Unless of course, you made it. Then we've got something to talk about.

Can't talk about Cuphead's gameplay without actually having played it. Big difference between playing it yourself and watching others, especially if they're not about that shooter life.

People were complaining about parry timing off, RNG patterns etc. but it's all calculated.

Slayven

Can't talk about Cuphead's gameplay without actually having played it. Big difference between playing it yourself and watching others, especially if they're not about that shooter life.

People were complaining about parry timing off, RNG patterns etc. but it's all calculated.

You do know how gaming messageboards work right?

LOL

D i Z

Actually, You can. That argument went the way of the printing press Dodo. If you've been playing games for going on over 3 decades, you can actually read a few things. I might be wrong, but I'm willing for time to prove me wrong. In the meantime, people should enjoy.

Malyse

Man, Breath of the Wild is one hell of a game. I like Zelda in general, but this is the first time the series really gave me the feeling of playing through an actual epic. I can only say I've had a similar experience a handful of other times. The storytelling itself also deserves recognition, because I think it's the most video game story I've played. The poignancy is completely lost unless you're playing it yourself; a let's play can't actually convey the same emotional resonance. The actual story isn't particularly overwhelming impressive (to the point that it's difficult to actually spoil it) but the execution is absolutely amazing.

It's easy game of the year and the best Zelda I've ever played. Mario and Xenoblade have a hell of job ahead of them.

Also, damn. 70 hours to complete and I didn't do much outside the main line.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Man, Breath of the Wild is one hell of a game. I like Zelda in general, but this is the first time the series really gave me the feeling of playing through an actual epic. I can only say I've had a similar experience a handful of other times. The storytelling itself also deserves recognition, because I think it's the most video game story I've played. The poignancy is completely lost unless you're playing it yourself; a let's play can't actually convey the same emotional resonance. The actual story isn't particularly overwhelming impressive (to the point that it's difficult to actually spoil it) but the execution is absolutely amazing.

It's easy game of the year and the best Zelda I've ever played. Mario and Xenoblade have a hell of job ahead of them.

Also, damn. 70 hours to complete and I didn't do much outside the main line.

It's fucking phenomenal.

And the story is great in that most of the key events have already happened, so while you're pushed toward completing the main quest, you don't feel like a super urgent plot is strangely on pause while you go find some korok seeds or whatever.

Game Maker's Toolkit has a pretty great video on BOTW.

Malyse

It's fucking phenomenal.

And the story is great in that most of the key events have already happened, so while you're pushed toward completing the main quest, you don't feel like a super urgent plot is strangely on pause while you go find some korok seeds or whatever.

Game Maker's Toolkit has a pretty great video on BOTW.

The deflection of ludonarrative dissonance is brilliant. "No I can't go fight Ganon because I'm not strong enough yet and literally everything I do in this game is in service of increasing my odds to survive that encounter"

It honestly feels like a paradigm shift in storytelling in games. This is one of the only stories that I can think of that falls apart in any other narrative structure. The fact that the gameplay itself is utterly brilliant too is just staggering. Some of the puzzles are just "how in the fuck did you even think of this" good. And the fact that the whole adventure is non linear and just crammed full of stuff to explore?

I think BotW is legitimately the closest thing to a perfect video game I've experienced. I only have two criticisms and they aren't even real:
1. I wanted the prequel story. The before tale looked interesting as hell and damn if that wasn't the DLC that's coming.
2. I want an epilogue. I wanna just roll through Hyrule and permanently extinguish the last remnants of Ganon's forces and I want to spend time in the world I've saved. I want that Zelda Ico that they teased me with. I want to revisit everyone after I saved the world.

Like I said, not even real criticism. Far as I'm concerned there's two types of people in the world: people who accept Breath of the Wild is Game of the Year and people who haven't played it yet.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I want an epilogue. I wanna just roll through Hyrule and permanently extinguish the last remnants of Ganon's forces and I want to spend time in the world I've saved. I want that Zelda Ico that they teased me with. I want to revisit everyone after I saved the world.

fuck yes

as soon as the game ended I was like "please let me just... run around the world, say hi to zelda sometimes and rebuild Hyrule like I did with that town sidequest for another hundred hours"

RedSwirl

Zelda just decided to do more of that "after shit has already gone down" investigating-after-the-fact interactive type of story. It's not common in Japanese console games at all but I feel it's a known tool of western game designers. It works because it puts all the pacing and delivery of the story into the hands of the player. It's not as "cinematic" as a lot of conventional Japanese games in terms of story, but interactive storytelling isn't really meant to be.

That's really what's so shocking about Zelda -- Nintendo of all people took the right parts of Elder Scrolls and Minecraft and implemented them in a way that shows they actually understand why those games work.

Malyse

Zelda just decided to do more of that "after shit has already gone down" investigating-after-the-fact interactive type of story. It's not common in Japanese console games at all but I feel it's a known tool of western game designers. It works because it puts all the pacing and delivery of the story into the hands of the player. It's not as "cinematic" as a lot of conventional Japanese games in terms of story, but interactive storytelling isn't really meant to be.

That's really what's so shocking about Zelda -- Nintendo of all people took the right parts of Elder Scrolls and Minecraft and implemented them in a way that shows they actually understand why those games work.

What's this "Nintendo of all people"? Nintendo has always been fantastic at game design. Even their worst hardware decisions are supported by fantastic software: look at what they did with something as simple as Mario Run. Nintendo is easily the most consistently excellent game designers in the business.

Faustek

Many are in the sunken place.

--

To each their own. I for one will probably never see why people liked this Zelda so much or see the praise for the Skyrim part. Another game that I thought one of the weakest in the TES series. Heck I actually think I might not like games in particular anymore. Everything is just becoming an "ok" pass time which I only spend 2-8h a week on...and mostly that is just old games I know I like.

TheSun

Heck I actually think I might not like games in particular anymore. Everything is just becoming an "ok" pass time which I only spend 2-8h a week on...and mostly that is just old games I know I like.

That's a shame to hear, but it's a position I understand nowadays. Some of the bigger games this year I could pass on, despite them being lauded.

'Course there are exceptions.

---

Man I have a lot of projects I wanna do, but I feel my free time shrinking all the damn time.
Still gonna do some stuff in aftereffects, that was always fun.

Many are in the sunken place.

--

To each their own. I for one will probably never see why people liked this Zelda so much or see the praise for the Skyrim part. Another game that I thought one of the weakest in the TES series. Heck I actually think I might not like games in particular anymore. Everything is just becoming an "ok" pass time which I only spend 2-8h a week on...and mostly that is just old games I know I like.

Artistically, Skyrim is the weakest in the series so far. It's drab and lifeless as all hell.

Faustek

That's a shame to hear, but it's a position I understand nowadays. Some of the bigger games this year I could pass on, despite them being lauded.

'Course there are exceptions.

---

Yepp, there are exceptions to this for me as well. I mean I got destroyed in Tekken by a few here. Still had fun as hell. Same when I had a lil game night. No one of us is good at the games but we had fun...now it was a few months ago tho.

Artistically, Skyrim is the weakest in the series so far. It's drab and lifeless as all hell.

Yes, I didn't think I was alone in this. Basically only thing I did with Skyrim was mod it. Randy macho man savage mod is still the most dumb but most fun I had with it.

Yepp, there are exceptions to this for me as well. I mean I got destroyed in Tekken by a few here. Still had fun as hell. Same when I had a lil game night. No one of us is good at the games but we had fun...now it was a few months ago tho.

Yes, I didn't think I was alone in this. Basically only thing I did with Skyrim was mod it. Randy macho man savage mod is still the most dumb but most fun I had with it.

That and ENB makes a big difference in the fun factor. I messed around with this mod where you can summon a different world on the battlefield and have swords come flying down.

It had a long casting animation though but considering how OP and ridiculous it was it makes sense.

RedSwirl

What's this "Nintendo of all people"? Nintendo has always been fantastic at game design. Even their worst hardware decisions are supported by fantastic software: look at what they did with something as simple as Mario Run. Nintendo is easily the most consistently excellent game designers in the business.

What I mean was, Nintendo was just about the last company I would expect to actually understand what makes western PC games like Elder Scrolls and Minecraft work the way they do. Every other developer copying those games generally just copies their superficial elements like building and big fantasy maps. Zelda of all games took the one element that perhaps above all else actually makes people want to endure Bethesda's games -- the emergent environmental simulation, and implemented in a way Bethesda forgot how. While Bethesda's games are getting more and more wrapped up in dumb main quests, they forgot how much people just want to engage with the sandbox and chart their own paths.

Nobody really expected a Japanese developer to understand that. Those elements of Elder Scrolls and Minecraft are rooted in old school western PC games, the kind that represent the antithesis of Japan's preference for more linear design based on stricter rules. Nobody expected Japan to out-Skyrim Skyrim. And actually MGSV did the same thing. Kojima built a sandbox stealth game that that felt more sandbox than anything the west was making anymore and far more than anyone thought Japan was capable of conceiving. As far as I'm concerned the game out-Far Cry'd Far Cry.

Actually, both MGSV and Zelda pretty much accomplished what Far Cry 2 was trying to do, and what Far Cry 3 & 4 gave up on.

Weird, Skyrim is the first TES game I took interest in because it looked like it had some kind of uniform "style" to it. I never touched Oblivion and Morrowind because they just looked like a mishmash generic fantasy stuff. I think Skyrim was such a big hit initially because the advertising struck a narrow, easily identifiable idea: Vikings and dragons.

Shit looks bad. People are falling in love with "the art style" but they aren't actually looking for that art. Gameplay looks garbage tbh.

The platforming looks obnoxious, but thanks to Youtube I can sit back and laugh at people struggling to beat it (s/o to CoryxKenshin)

Divinity Original Sin 2 got them inclusions man
random NPC women with wives (including interracial at least 2 and in the same general area), quest women with wives, a couple of confirmed bachelors

I see Beefy got got. Can't figure out why though besides the Hugh Hefner thread.

Just another week in the US sadly.

That's the worst part. First Sandy Hook, the Florida Nightclub and now Mandalay Bay. Nothing will be done about these. No regulations or legislation for firearms at all. And people will be like "we can't talk about that now, it's rude." So when can we talk about fixing our fucking obsession with firearms? When all of us are in the ground? When the next shooting gets worse? When?

Faustek

Isn't Beefy on a self imposed time out? He gonna be om the island for a month. Btw Beefy if you reading this take care and have a great time.

--

Another senseless slaughter.

Any calls for gun regulation will be immediately squashed by gun fans gleefully reminding us of the the armed deacon at Antioch Church that did not get as much news coverage as this shooting will obviously because of lack of Body Count due to an armed citizen saving the day, and that Emanuel Samson was a person of color.

Guerrilla propaganda tactics will make this go away in about 2 weeks I think. If not that then the year anniversary that we elected #45 will.

Kreed

Any calls for gun regulation will be immediately squashed by gun fans gleefully reminding us of the the armed deacon at Antioch Church that did not get as much news coverage as this shooting will obviously because of lack of Body Count due to an armed citizen saving the day, and that Emanuel Samson was a person of color.

Guerrilla propaganda tactics will make this go away in about 2 weeks I think. If not that then the year anniversary that we elected #45 will.

But if the killer was any shade of brown or even typed the word Quran in his search history, Trump would be introducing new "people regulations".

Top Bottom