• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread XX

Anyone seeing Detroit?

I'm a fan of the book.

41J2SgTzCfL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

So finished watching season 1-4 of Agents of Shield. This definitely a comic book show with a budget. It had a rough start but I got better as went along. Unlike Supergirl, this show really pulled me in. Some of the characters that I was initially annoyed with I warmed up to and liking them by the end. Even though this officially part of the MCU, they seem stopped trying tie the storyline to what's happening in movies (instead just making passing reference). It kind of became it's own thing by the 3rd season. Well, looking forward to season 4. I suppose Abigail Brand is going to be in season 5 right?

Johndoey

Banned
Hold up, was S Club 7 a thing in the US too?

I thought it was just us Brits keeping it a shameful secret.

I don't think I've heard any of their stuff. They usually just resorted to playing the real thing here.
Honestly I sent a solid year listening to Floor Filler almost everyday, that track always gets me going.

Faustek

Hmm, did yall know that having an afro is impractical for an assassin? Actually for any sort of fighting since it's heavier? 🤦🏾*♂️

Reading up a bit more about Zazie Beetz as Domino and boy. It's something alright. Some people really just need to be secluded from the world.

Faustek, did you get my PM ?

Guess it's 90s night tonight. LOL

Crap, on mobile so haven't noticed.

Johndoey

Banned
Hmm, did yall know that having an afro is impractical for an assassin? Actually for any sort of fighting since it's heavier? 🤦🏾*♂️

Reading up a bit more about Zazie Beetz as Domino and boy. It's something alright. Some people really just need to be secluded from the world.

Crap, on mobile so haven't noticed.
Why am I feeling like these the same folk that'll write me a dissertation on how a super assassin wearing a skintight latex outfit and 7in heels makes complete sense.

Folk ain't even pretending anymore.

I said it in the thread but 95% of the people crying over Domino's skin colour and hair weren't familiar with the character before the day of the reveal.

It's such transparent bullshit.
Yeah them, spice girls, and all saints
Oh yeah, Spice Girls was a worldwide hit for sure. Unfamiliar with All Saints, though. Maybe I'll know one of their songs if I hear them.
Honestly I sent a solid year listening to Floor Filler almost everyday, that track always gets me going.
I know a good chunk of lyrics to Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears and Ricky Martin songs.

I am not proud.

D i Z

So finished watching season 1-4 of Agents of Shield. This definitely a comic book show with a budget. It had a rough start but I got better as went along. Unlike Supergirl, this show really pulled me in. Some of the characters that I was initially annoyed with I warmed up to and liking them by the end. Even though this officially part of the MCU, they seem stopped trying tie the storyline to what's happening in movies (instead just making passing reference). It kind of became it's own thing by the 3rd season. Well, looking forward to season 4. I suppose Abigail Brand is going to be in season 5 right?

Agent's is great. They know what they want to be, and say "fuck it we're doing it" regardless of the obstacles.

I think the best rebuttal to Confederate defense brigades is pointing out that black people were in Human Zoos up through the 1950's. We ain't that far removed from some damned heinous shit.

They're still going to pretend that it wasn't real.

Malyse

Agent's is great. They know what they want to be, and say "fuck it we're doing it" regardless of the obstacles.

I always seem to forget about the Trump crew's Reality Distortion Field.

Of course they would. They rather create a lie that works for them than face the truth and look like assholes. That lie though will still make them look like assholes still.

-------------

The control scheme for ps4 mount and blade will take some getting used to but it's fun overall. Magicka is neat as well. Shadow Warrior is fun so far.

D i Z

I always seem to forget about the Trump crew's Reality Distortion Field.

It's a strange change that we'll have to make. But one that we need to make regardless. What even is this world?

Of course they would. They rather create a lie that works for them than face the truth and look like assholes. That lie though will still make them look like assholes still.

-------------

The control scheme for ps4 mount and blade will take some getting used to but it's fun overall. Magicka is neat as well. Shadow Warrior is fun so far.

How the fuck you stuck on Venom? You can drop that dude on a naked run a hundred times perfectly.

It's a strange change that we'll have to make. But one that we need to make regardless. What even is this world?

How the fuck you stuck on Venom? You can drop that dude on a naked run a hundred times perfectly.

Nah. What I'm saying is I beat his ass, but I'm still in hell's kitchen.

Faustek

I think the best rebuttal to Confederate defense brigades is pointing out that black people were in Human Zoos up through the 1950's. We ain't that far removed from some damned heinous shit.

I try to point this out to people. While I try my best not to find them and smack them with a book. It's even more vexing as idiots here in Sweden, acquaintances, wants to put down their 5 cent and still miss the point entirely. Everyone likes to talk like the states is a nest full of racist idiots that can't see their own shit because of their own shit something shit, the point is that it's shitty over there and here it's perfect.
Then I bring up how Sweden have treated black people during the ages. Well that was long ago. Then I bring up my experience, I bring up national papers just 20 years back, I bring up that 20% of fucking Sweden is probably going to vote for a party that is all about identity politics(our dear I-swear-we're-not-nazis party). I bring up how we have Nazis burning down refugee housing for kids and no one is reacting and it took a year before one of the major papers wrote about it. Locations that these nazis got from the we're-not-nazis Politicians on Twitter. Which btw still has a job and is adored by his fanbase. I bring up how they have openly posed with known Nazi supporters from WW2, how they have gotten money from them, how they have given money to our "Breitbart" and how they are supporting and getting support from NMR(Racist pieces of shit I'll have to fight again and again as soon as I go out for a beer).
And then they look at me like I'm some stereotypical angry black man. Nah, I'm so over this shit. Everyone even dancing around the idea that they should be allowed breathing space can go fuck themselves and if they can't manage to do that themselves I can do it for them.

Faustek

Nah Screw it. Now for more fun stuff.

Which was actually the best 90s black sitcom?

Martin
Sister Sister
The Wayans Bros
Fresh Prince
Moesha
Living Single.

I would say that Fresh Prince was the biggest on a world wide scale, Martin was the most fun but living single was damn good. Also one of the first time I actually saw so many black women outside of being video babes. Was exciting to say the least.

Faustek

Man I barely saw Malcolm and Eddie. If I remember correctly they changed channel and the cost to add that to the satellite package was damn silly.

What is Eddie doing today? Never hear anything and if I do it's never any good :(

Martin
Sister Sister
The Wayans Bros
Fresh Prince
Moesha
Living Single.

I would say that Fresh Prince was the biggest on a world wide scale, Martin was the most fun but living single was damn good. Also one of the first time I actually saw so many black women outside of being video babes. Was exciting to say the least.

Fresh Prince
Martin
Living

These were shows I always watched with my mother when I was a kid. Also, my uncle loved Martin.

D i Z

Man I barely saw Malcolm and Eddie. If I remember correctly they changed channel and the cost to add that to the satellite package was damn silly.

What is Eddie doing today? Never hear anything and if I do it's never any good :(

Not even sure what that dude is doing. The last I heard he was busy doing what Black comedians do by showing his ass on his way out of relevance.

Faustek

Not even sure what that dude is doing. The last I heard he was busy doing what Black comedians do by showing his ass on his way out of relevance.

This is becoming common place. It's frustrating to hear. Katt especially. Loved that mans work, what I saw but today? smh. Man needs help.

snap country, I'm about to hit the snap. insane asylum or jail for me, might be death too

Snap? Please don't do stupid things :)

Martin is the correct answer

Living Single is my second

Fresh Prince third

Really hope Martin gets it together for Bad Boys 3 and we can see more from him personally after it :)

Martin
Sister Sister
The Wayans Bros
Fresh Prince
Moesha
Living Single.

It really depends on what it is you're looking for: heart, or comedy, or a mixture. Martin was hilarious, but that show had nothing else going for it outside of a handful of episodes.

Martin
Sister Sister
The Wayans Bros
Fresh Prince
Moesha
Living Single.

Roc
Living Single
Moesha
Kenan and Kel
City Guys
Fresh Prince
The Parent Hood
One on One

zeemumu

Martin
Sister Sister
The Wayans Bros
Fresh Prince
Moesha
Living Single.

I'd have to give it to Fresh Prince as well. It had the most memorable moments for me and a theme song that you're pretty much born knowing at this point. And I'd put Kenan and Kel in 2nd place

Does That's So Raven count?

Mizerman

To me, the Fresh Prince was consistent in its moments. Martin was funny, though it mainly from the interactions of the cast. Sister Sister was good, though I didn't really enjoy the later seasons too much. Moesha was alright, but that Frank subplot was something that kinda bugged me.

This is becoming common place. It's frustrating to hear. Katt especially. Loved that mans work, what I saw but today? smh. Man needs help.

Snap? Please don't do stupid things :)

Really hope Martin gets it together for Bad Boys 3 and we can see more from him personally after it :)

Sorry, I forget I gotta keep a calm mind when I'm in foreign lands. I'm just tired of being told nigger isnt racist to say because it never meant what people use it for in the dictionary. I don't give a shit bruh, whats the reason to use it? It has negative connotations, it has a fucked up history. I don't give a shit about semantics, but I'm cool, gotta think about my family. I just had a brief flash of anger.

Edit: this stemmed from my wife being called a nigger.

D i Z

Sorry, I forget I gotta keep a calm mind when I'm in foreign lands. I'm just tired of being told nigger isnt racist to say because it never meant what people use it for in the dictionary. I don't give a shit bruh, whats the reason to use it? It has negative connotations, it has a fucked up history. I don't give a shit about semantics, but I'm cool, gotta think about my family. I just had a brief flash of anger.

Edit: this stemmed from my wife being called a nigger.

Got it. You talking wild and about to give them a way to lock you up isn't cool with us though. That's why we asked. We're about to be in for some of the wildest shit we've ever seen. Don't go out like that.

Johndoey

Banned
I want to be cynical, and could be cynical, about Detroit, but it's a brutal movie and I found it to be almost unbearable to sit and watch at times. It upset me in spots.

I'm glad I saw this in theaters and I never want to watch it again.

D i Z

I want to be cynical, and could be cynical, about Detroit, but it's a brutal movie and I found it to be almost unbearable to sit and watch at times. It upset me in spots.

I'm glad I saw this in theaters and I never want to watch it again.

Everything i hear about this film mirrors that. I'm going to need some powerful hooch to do this. I watched Requiem for a Dream and Dancer in the Dark back to back once. Fucked me and my friend up for a very long weekend. Haven't been the same since.

Johndoey

Banned
Everything i hear about this film mirrors that.
I'm watching it and I know actors in roles but I'm seeing our black boys being tortured over nothing and it hurts.
--
It's still a movie mostly for white audiences who don't know this like we do, but for the most part it's respectful.
Dialogue is pretty natural for the most part a few lines obviously inserted to hammer in "This is bad!" but nothing outrageous.

Top Bottom