• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Imm0rt4l

lightless_shado said:
brothers and sisters I have a dilemma: One of my best friends has a friend that is sort of racist. Whenever we're hanging around he's always cracking jokes and then apologizing afterwards sometimes he doesn't even bother to apologize. At first I thought he would get the message after a few sarcastic responses, and the fact that nobody except him even smiles at them, but I guess that just made him think he should try even HARDER and make even MORE offensive jokes. I straight up told him that his jokes are offensive but its as if he forgets because whenever we meet up again he does the same shit.

Fortunately I don't see him that often but when I do it makes hanging out with my friend more difficult. What do I do?
any examples of the kinda jokes he cracks?

spindashing said:
That never happens to me, well it rarely happens.

Sadly, most of the time I bump into an old classmate or someone I grew up with, 90% of the time, she has children or pregnant.

I knew a couple of girls in HS who already had 1~2+ kids before they even graduated. Fucking depressing.

lightless_shado said:
brothers and sisters I have a dilemma: One of my best friends has a friend that is sort of racist. Whenever we're hanging around he's always cracking jokes and then apologizing afterwards sometimes he doesn't even bother to apologize. At first I thought he would get the message after a few sarcastic responses, and the fact that nobody except him even smiles at them, but I guess that just made him think he should try even HARDER and make even MORE offensive jokes. I straight up told him that his jokes are offensive but its as if he forgets because whenever we meet up again he does the same shit.

Fortunately I don't see him that often but when I do it makes hanging out with my friend more difficult. What do I do?

Tell your friend to stop bringing him along.

lightless_shado said:

I'd stop hanging with him, and if everyone else is cool with his racist jokes, I'd stop hanging with them too.

People say racist stuff b/c their friends tolerate it (not you).

edit:
I'm cold-blooded though.

Kaizer

Banned
perfectnight said:
Holy shit.. just saw this girl I talked to a few times back in HS. She is so... SO fine now OMG.

I didn't think it was possible for a person to change so much in just 3~4 years. This has nothing to do with black culture but I just felt like posting cause I feel like I'm in middle school again given how hard I'm crushing on this girl.

<-- literally my face when I realized who she was
I've had this happen with quite a few former friends that went to different high schools after middle school ended. One girl I swear was UGLY as SIN, now I see like 5 years later on FB and she looks like a model. Puberty can be a bitch.

Lebron said:
Only? I think you missing one, kind sir.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOQwxbSwhgk
Such a classic.

Imm0rt4l said:
any examples of the kinda jokes he cracks?

He asks questions like "do you talk with clicks?" "ever been to Africa?" "Do you know ____ person(who just happens to be black). "How come Michael Jackson wanted to be white and Eminem wants to be black? isn't that funny?" "I bet if eminem met you he'd give you like whatever you want because he got to hang out with a real black guy"

He ends shit like that usually with a "just kidding" or "just joking" and sometimes a "sorry" its like he wants to be racist, but he's afraid of backlash. It sucks because he's a workout buddy of a good friend of mine and they hang out on occasion and the other day he brought him around and it was just a dreadful experience. My other friend at times will just try to ignore what he says or straight up tell him that its not funny and it just doesn't seem to stop him. I can't say I'm too surprised though, there is VERY little diversity where I live.

I think I'll just let my friend know that he needs to tell him to quit it once and for all or I won't hang out with him if he's bringing him along.

Imm0rt4l

lightless_shado said:
He asks questions like "do you talk with clicks?" "ever been to Africa?" "Do you know ____ person(who just happens to be black). "How come Michael Jackson wanted to be white and Eminem wants to be black? isn't that funny?" "I bet if eminem met you he'd give you like whatever you want because he got to hang out with a real black guy"

He ends shit like that usually with a "just kidding" or "just joking" and sometimes a "sorry" its like he wants to be racist, but he's afraid of backlash. It sucks because he's a workout buddy of a good friend of mine and they hang out on occasion and the other day he brought him around and it was just a dreadful experience. My other friend at times will just try to ignore what he says or straight up tell him that its not funny and it just doesn't seem to stop him. I can't say I'm too surprised though, there is VERY little diversity where I live.

I think I'll just let my friend know that he needs to tell him to quit it once and for all or I won't hang out with him if he's bringing him along.
Those aren't even funny. I'd imagine he is trying to offend, but the way those joke reads he sounds socially awkward.

On an unrelated note I'd like to file a motion to disown phoenix dark

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Imm0rt4l said:
Those aren't even funny. I'd imagine he is trying to offend, but the way those joke reads he sounds socially awkward.

On an unrelated note I'd like to file a motion to disown phoenix dark

that was some wierd shit, but disowning him wont help the situation. besides, that was 6 years ago

Imm0rt4l

MWS Natural said:
I always thought he was only a part time member anyways lol.
lol
Parallax said:
that was some wierd shit, but disowning him wont help the situation. besides, that was 6 years ago

I was only joking about trading him, but yea that shit was weird as fuck.

the black delegations requests Robin Thicke

Parallax

Imm0rt4l said:
the black delegations requests Robin Thicke

i think hes willfully one of us. it seems bet are his main haters, and an enemy of my enemy....

Parallax

eternaLightness said:
So black gaf, I almost did it with a big white chick a few days ago. Almost became a statistic.

please tell me there was a lot of alcohol involved?

Kaizer

Banned
spindashing said:
I want to get traded!

White power!

Don't hurt me, guys.
Mfgo3.jpg

phoenixdark said:
Her name is Meg, but my nickname for her is Beyonce.

This killed me. Just seemed so random.

eternaLightness said:
So black gaf, I almost did it with a big white chick a few days ago. Almost became a statistic.

How did this almost happen? People are always expecting me to hook up with a below par white chick but in all fairness I don't have much of a choice seeing as there are very few black people who are actually living here.

Parallax said:
please tell me there was a lot of alcohol involved?

Lol nope. She's pretty cute though too. Ain't nothing wrong with big women!

She's in one of my classes and we started to talk a bit. Found out she's pretty cool. Asked if I'd like to hang out sometime so I said sure.. We chilled at her crib and watched movies. Ended up going to her room and start making out like crazy. Got super close to really going at it until I realized I had no protection and decided to bounce. I still talk to her though.

eternaLightness said:
Lol nope. She's pretty cute though too. Ain't nothing wrong with big women!

She's in one of my classes and we started to talk a bit. Found out she's pretty cool. Asked if I'd like to hang out sometime so I said sure.. We chilled at her crib and watched movies. Ended up going to her room and start making out like crazy. Got super close to really going at it until I realized I had no protection and decided to bounce. I still talk to her though.

Sounds like unfinished business. Go get some protection and invite her to your place.

spindashing said:
I want to get traded!

White power!

Don't hurt me, guys.
Your KFC eatin' ass was already on the watch list anyways bra lol.

eternaLightness said:
If she has a cute face and the ass is fat SMASH away. I got a cute WG with a fatty next to me right now. Gotta get my Yeezy on baby :)

Londa

Banned
I'm really tired of how black people should act and look a certain way, or they aren't considered black and must be mixed or some other nationality. Not every black person talks ghetto and has nappy hair and dark skin. :(

Door2Dawn

Banned
Londa said:
I'm really tired of how black people should act and look a certain way, or they aren't considered black and must be mixed or some other nationality. Not every black person talks ghetto and has nappy hair and dark skin. :(
Blame it on the media. :(

But at the end of the day, you just have to be yourself, and don't let anyone pigeonhole you into into a role. Tell them to kiss your ass and keep steppin'.

Londa

Banned
Door2Dawn said:
Blame it on the media. :(

But at the end of the day, you just have to be yourself, and don't let anyone pigeonhole you into you into a role. Tell them to kiss your ass and keep steppin'.

Wish I could, but its someone close who keeps saying I'm not black enough.

Londa

Banned
ChocolateCupcakes said:
This is why its almost stressful visiting my old friends in the Bronx. Its even worse when its 50 year olds saying that. I just move along.

its someone even closer than that. So I can't really move along. It's someone who isn't black.

My close friends have also said I don't look black but more Spanish. They don't say it a lot, but they insist over and over again when they do bring it up. They notice how I get upset, but they think I don't know how really Spanish I look and need to know. I never got this comparison until I moved to an area that has a lot of Spanish living in the area. However before that, I was just thought of as having mixed parents.

Dabanton said:
Have you ever sampled a big girl?

Nope. Sure do want to though!

We might chill again tonight after she gets off work. I'll be prepared ;).

I wonder why it's only black people that can be "not black enough". I don't think I've ever heard someone say "not white enough" or "not Asian enough".

Londa said:
its someone even closer than that. So I can't really move along. It's someone who isn't black.

My close friends have also said I don't look black but more Spanish. They don't say it a lot, but they insist over and over again when they do bring it up. They notice how I get upset, but they think I don't know how really Spanish I look and need to know. I never got this comparison until I moved to an area that has a lot of Spanish living in the area. However before that, I was just thought of as having mixed parents.

Sorry to hear that, Londa. It's a tough one to handle, so chin up and do your best to politely tell them to ease off.

Or, you can just go all black on them and show them what's up.

what i do is just not give a fuck

that or bring up stupid and petty shit in response like how they must be white cause they bought clorox instead of the store brand bleach

Azure J

Londa said:

It's worse for people who actually are darkskin.

...and have a Nigerian last name.

But I don't give a fuck, because I'm awesome.

AzureJericho said:

I admit, reading your post followed by looking at your avatar made me smile a bit.

Londa

Banned
AzureJericho said:

What things do you have to put up with?

Half-and-half said:
Sorry to hear that, Londa. It's a tough one to handle, so chin up and do your best to politely tell them to ease off.

Or, you can just go all black on them and show them what's up.

lol Wu-tang

The Faceless Master said:
what i do is just not give a fuck

that or bring up stupid and petty shit in response like how they must be white cause they bought clorox instead of the store brand bleach

lol

Azure J

Londa said:
What things do you have to put up with?

A bunch of things related to the "you don't act/sound black" (sometimes I feel like that's all I ever mention in this thread, lol) mostly because of how varied I am and how passionate I get for things that seem "not black". There was actually a time when my father could have fallen along that same line of thought (though more "you don't act Nigerian" than black) since compared to himself (and a lot of his Nigerian friends & their families) I'm a more mellow and humble guy.

There was also a side issue where thanks to my family name/skin tone there were folks who just straight up dismissed the other half of my heritage (Jamaican) thinking that I was lying about it to fit in. I mean, its just as ridiculous as it sounds and for a long time I thought it was just one of those jokes until one time when my mother showed up for a meeting I had in high school with the faculty and people were fucking mystified. Imagine a tall 6' really dark/chocolate skin guy showing up with a 5'7 light skinned woman speaking fluent English but switching in and out between that and patois with me doing the same thing. (Funfact: I can't speak patois at all unless I'm around family, it just feels off when I do. :lol)

But otherwise, there isn't really anything to do more than hope that someday you can just be fine doing or enjoying whatever without being looked down upon for not falling into rank and file.

Mononofu

Have at it RedSwirl, this thread needs a new beginning.

spindashing said:
"You're so black that if I sprinkle sugar on you, you look like deep space."

Heard that on the bus not too long ago. Damn.

Oh wow, it too me too long to get that one lol.

Londa

Banned
RedSwirl said:
Okay I never decided to post here until now. Do we still do the whole name, origin, age thing 100 pages in?

I never did it. But I think people like seeing folks do that.

Should I even do it myself? I'm kind of uneasy with putting out info about myself on the net.

AzureJericho said:
A bunch of things related to the "you don't act/sound black" (sometimes I feel like that's all I ever mention in this thread, lol) mostly because of how varied I am and how passionate I get for things that seem "not black". There was actually a time when my father could have fallen along that same line of thought (though more "you don't act Nigerian" than black) since compared to himself (and a lot of his Nigerian friends & their families) I'm a more mellow and humble guy.

There was also a side issue where thanks to my family name/skin tone there were folks who just straight up dismissed the other half of my heritage (Jamaican) thinking that I was lying about it to fit in. I mean, its just as ridiculous as it sounds and for a long time I thought it was just one of those jokes until one time when my mother showed up for a meeting I had in high school with the faculty and people were fucking mystified. Imagine a tall 6' really dark/chocolate skin guy showing up with a 5'7 light skinned woman speaking fluent English but switching in and out between that and patois with me doing the same thing. (Funfact: I can't speak patois at all unless I'm around family, it just feels off when I do. :lol)

But otherwise, there isn't really anything to do more than hope that someday you can just be fine doing or enjoying whatever without being looked down upon for not falling into rank and file.

That's interesting. I never knew it would be hard for someone Nigerian to fit in. I guess it's the attitude. If you aren't ghetto or thug you aren't black. It's sad that black people only feel at home with those two type of personalities. Why can't blacks be smart, intelligent, rich, well off, and fluent without being called a uncle tom, or trying to be white. A shame.

Top Bottom