• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

JCX said:
I'm an aspiring writer-comedian. Here's a link to a social network parody I wrote: http://www.rooftopcomedy.com/college/funnyfilm/watch/LivinLaVidaLoko

I wrote a feature-length comedy screenplay last year, and I have two short film scripts (one psychological thriller, one murder-mystery). I'm applying to a bunch of different programs so I can hopefully write for TV someday.

Used to write poetry, but got annoyed by slam poetry. I have been published in literary journals at my high school and college.

Taking part in this year's ScriptFrenzy? ...I just started on my entry a couple days ago (busy month). 100 pages, 6 days left.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
JCX said:
I'm an aspiring writer-comedian. Here's a link to a social network parody I wrote: http://www.rooftopcomedy.com/college/funnyfilm/watch/LivinLaVidaLoko

I wrote a feature-length comedy screenplay last year, and I have two short film scripts (one psychological thriller, one murder-mystery). I'm applying to a bunch of different programs so I can hopefully write for TV someday.

Used to write poetry, but got annoyed by slam poetry. I have been published in literary journals at my high school and college.
I have to say that was pretty entertaining.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
justjohn said:
So am I the only one that thinks worldstar hiphop is actually secretly being run by some White supremacist? Lol

i would think so, but dumb fuckers upload themselves doing dumb shit willfully, so in the end, it doesnt matter....

What shampoo do you guys use.

QpjTh.jpg

+

OiQAs.jpg

Though, I'll have to start to try something else. Not a lot of products out there for a black person's hair that's safe.

i would think so, but dumb fuckers upload themselves doing dumb shit willfully, so in the end, it doesnt matter....

That's a lot of a dumb fuckers then...

StinkFist

Banned
justjohn said:
So am I the only one that thinks worldstar hiphop is actually secretly being run by some White supremacist? Lol

Umm that's some what racist when you think about it.
It's obviously uploaded by simple minded backwards ass ghetto people.
There's videos of white, Asian, black people doing some fucked up shit ie
the Asian girl snorting up a suicidal amount of coke due to peer pressure.

Its not a white man trying to get us situation.

Parallax

StinkFist said:

snorting coke due to peer pressure? and someone let her do it? what the hell is wrong with people?

Parallax

StinkFist said:
"Friends".

fuck that. i dont see how you consider someone your "friend" if they are willing to put your life at risk with something so foolish

StinkFist

Banned
Parallax said:
fuck that. i dont see how you consider someone your "friend" if they are willing to put your life at risk with something so foolish

"People choose the company they keep. Peer pressure is simply an after the fact excuse for wrongdoing when the perpetrator of the crime is held accountable. He has made a series of choices as to whom he wants to be with. As one boy said, "To be like my brother, go to school, come home, do my homework, that's like being a dog on a leash." He had no use for his brother or his law-abiding friends. He chose to hang out with older kids who were doing things on a dare, searching for excitement by doing the forbidden. Peer pressure had little to do with this! He went out and deliberately chose to be with youngsters who shared his quest for excitement."

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ind/201101/peer-pressure-does-not-cause-crime

Interesting article

karby

justjohn said:

It isn't.
I don't know whether to be mad or sad about that, really.
On the other hand, from what I understand, the guy who owns it has worked for the government as an informant and has used some of the videos uploaded to help solve criminal cases in the past...or so I've heard.

TacticalFox88 said:
Any writers on Black GAF? Love writing Poetry, Songs, and even....fanfiction.

Pro since I was a teen, literary journals, short stories and my best script has been optioned a few times.

Funny thing is, that's like the side gig now.

Third Strike was better

No, Alpha 3 is the best SF. It isn't close.

StinkFist said:
"People choose the company they keep. Peer pressure is simply an after the fact excuse for wrongdoing when the perpetrator of the crime is held accountable. He has made a series of choices as to whom he wants to be with. As one boy said, "To be like my brother, go to school, come home, do my homework, that's like being a dog on a leash." He had no use for his brother or his law-abiding friends. He chose to hang out with older kids who were doing things on a dare, searching for excitement by doing the forbidden. Peer pressure had little to do with this! He went out and deliberately chose to be with youngsters who shared his quest for excitement."

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ind/201101/peer-pressure-does-not-cause-crime

Interesting article

Werd. Fuck that peer pressure shit. I just watched the video and that fucking dummy did not have a gun to her head she sat there and did that shit with a smile. I doubt anyone would catch a murder charge if she had died.

lightless_shado said:
It depends. If I see a person wearing shit like this:
jRjh9.jpg

I just shake my head. Nothing wrong with a modest gold chain or watch, but some people just go too far and end up looking ridiculous. Its even worse when you know that the person spent maybe one year's salary on a watch crammed with real diamonds. I just think "misplaced priorities/terrible with money"

Cool yeah that's pretty much how I feel as well. I got my eye on a very modest chain at a store (22", 2mm thick). I've never owned one before, so I thought I'd ask people's opinions.

Azure J

Boombloxer said:
No, Alpha 3 is the best SF. It isn't close.

Opinion invalidated, game lacks Makoto. :p

Serious answer, I still have to try that one sometime. I'm determined to graduate from 2D fighter scrubbery. :lol

As for writing, well I'd say I'm better suited for making scenarios than I am for full fledged writing, even though I've been told that I should branch out. One thing I find myself doing a lot is coming up with really funny/interesting ideas for animation ideas. Now if only I could get some training on how to draw and animate regularly...

AzureJericho said:
Opinion invalidated, game lacks Makoto. :p

Serious answer, I still have to try that one sometime. I'm determined to graduate from 2D fighter scrubbery. :lol

As for writing, well I'd say I'm better suited for making scenarios than I am for full fledged writing, even though I've been told that I should branch out. One thing I find myself doing a lot is coming up with really funny/interesting ideas for animation ideas. Now if only I could get some training on how to draw and animate regularly...

Honestly, you have nothing to lose by writing an animation screenplay, or even a treatment. The guy who wrote Bolt goes back and forth between live action and animation, and makes millions doing it.

Give it a shot. The worst thing that anyone can say is that they don't like it. And then, so what? Write another one.

The main thing is to keep plugging away. Indiana Jones had one studio take it. The writer or Ghost was 40 when he sold it. There are mind-boggling stories of scripts that just sit there, until someone reads it and goes "Yea, ok!" and you're off. Sniper was like that. RR's Predators script was like that.

I'm a bit disheartened because there aren't many black people in gaming or enough writers. *sigh*

perfectnight said:
Holy shit.. Gerard Smith from Tv On The Radio is dead.

http://www.spin.com/articles/tvotrs-gerard-smith-dies-cancer

God damn. RIP. TVotR is one of my favorite bands ever.

Some songs of theirs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1-xRk6llh4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xigAXL5e5Kw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWwwcSsSOvc

Been listening to them since HS back in 2005.

Damn, pretty fucking depressing. Not many bruthas into making this kind of music right now, so losing even one of them really does sting.

Parallax

AzureJericho said:
Third Strike was better. 8D

[/late]
Since 3rd strike has the gimped version of sean, I really can't see it as the best. That was the oddest change I've ever seen capcom make for a character for a transition

Half-and-half said:
Hey Black-Gaf, what do you all think about brothas who rock jewelry?

Played out and corny, effeminate, depends?

The big ass rapper chains are foolish and tacky looking, that goes without saying.

However, I've nothing against something modest.

A year or two ago I was considering getting one of those Italian charm bracelets, but I've been seeing them so much lately I'm not really interested anymore.

I've always liked the look of (non-wedding) rings. But it's like impossible to pull off wearing a ring so, outta luck there.

Parallax said:
Since 3rd strike has the gimped version of sean, I really can't see it as the best. That was the oddest change I've ever seen capcom make for a character for a transition
Capcom keeping the black man down. I ain't even mad, Balrog is beastly in games with him. Not counting CvS2 and SvC: Chaos.

Azure J

Boombloxer said:
Honestly, you have nothing to lose by writing an animation screenplay, or even a treatment. The guy who wrote Bolt goes back and forth between live action and animation, and makes millions doing it.

Give it a shot. The worst thing that anyone can say is that they don't like it. And then, so what? Write another one.

The main thing is to keep plugging away. Indiana Jones had one studio take it. The writer or Ghost was 40 when he sold it. There are mind-boggling stories of scripts that just sit there, until someone reads it and goes "Yea, ok!" and you're off. Sniper was like that. RR's Predators script was like that.

I'm a bit disheartened because there aren't many black people in gaming or enough writers. *sigh*

Oh yeah, I'm sitting on a ton of stuff myself, mostly because I want to keep some sense of autonomy and ownership for my ideas (not for any real greed or control, but just because I like having the ability to work and fine tune what works from my little idea pool). I am definitely at the point though where I'm going to pick the one I've worked on most/hardest and just say "fuck it, let's make something happen" now. Getting critiques would actually be great every now and again, I've never been afraid of them and actually enjoy hearing about what folks like or dislike about an idea I've had.

Parallax said:

This reminds me of one of the funniest YouTube comments I've ever stumbled across:

"Sean from second impact to third strike is arguably the biggest nerf since the chicago bulls nerf from the 97-98 season to the 98-99 season."

I hadn't even played as Sean before that comment yet I understood perfectly how bad it must have been. :lol

I think its okay to wear a simple chain or watch or something, but when you have someone like Rick Ross who wears a chain of his face, I just have to ask, Why?

Imm0rt4l

seankingston_necklace4.jpg

As tacky as that is, it kinda reminds me of back in the day. Back in kindergarten/1st grade if you had a 64 pack of crayola crayons, you were a fucking boss. Nobody could fuck with you in the sandbox. Girls would let you see their panties, if you had a 96, I can't imagine what the dudes with 120 packs did.

Sean Kingston is still a lame though.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
StinkFist said:

Exactly. As much as we shake our heads at the people on there, there are many who aspire to be the person on the video. For fast food restaurant fight we look at with shame, there are many who are cheering the entire time and can't wait to see it again.

I don't know. I do think that when you are living in the hood, you do find joy in different things than people living comfortably. Especially if you feel as though you have nothing better to strive for. Rims, bass, gold chains, best looking chick, and a rep are what is most important. Long-term investments, a nice house, family, etc. aren't seemingly attainable so aren't important. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy and also in some cases. So worshipping trvial or "hood shit" is the best they think they can do.

I don't get mad at anyone who is profting off that lifestyle. I mean, they are satisfying a market that is already out there. They didn't create the market.

Lebron

I think the most ridiculous one I've seen was at Sharps Town Mall(Ghetto as holy fuck) in H-Town, motherfucker had a damn mini fisher price tricycle hanging from his neck. I'm talking about big enough for a baby to hop on and ride. A double face palm still wasn't good enough.

Lebron

Imm0rt4l said:
As tacky as that is, it kinda reminds me of back in the day. Back in kindergarten/1st grade if you had a 64 pack of crayola crayons, you were a fucking boss. Nobody could fuck with you in the sandbox. Girls would let you see their panties, if you had a 96, I can't imagine what the dudes with 120 packs did.
Real talk. My mom deemed us not worthy to buy such things, I envied those kids that had um. They had like, 30 different blues..... :(

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
eternaLightness said:
I think its okay to wear a simple chain or watch or something, but when you have someone like Rick Ross who wears a chain of his face, I just have to ask, Why?

I don't mind someone like Rick Ross doing it. Dude (hopefully) has money to buy (or rent) that kind of jewelry. With his persona, he pretty much as to seem rich as hell. The guy that has a regular 9-5 and trying to copy him when he could be paying down debt or saving for that rainy day.

Lebron said:
I think the most ridiculous one I've seen was at Sharps Town Mall(Ghetto as holy fuck) in H-Town, motherfucker had a damn mini fisher price tricycle hanging from his neck. I'm talking about big enough for a baby to hop on and ride. A double face palm still wasn't good enough.

Sharpstown used to be a great mail. Hell, it was at one time called the baby Galleria. That entire area went downhill fast and that mall followed. It is a shame too. I am ready for the lil Chinatown down the street to just take that entire area over.

Lebron

dskillzhtown said:
Sharpstown used to be a great mail. Hell, it was at one time called the baby Galleria. That entire area went downhill fast and that mall followed. It is a shame too. I am ready for the lil Chinatown down the street to just take that entire area over.
Yeah, it use to be. Bellaire in general just seems to be the Asian street these days.

lol @ niggas and their love of all of things shiny. I can't hate though I've been talking myself out of buying rims for the G for the last 6 months haha

Dreams-Visions said:
I like Good Wood NYC's wooden chains.

Sorry, BlackGAF, but they work with my outfits. :-/

Oh that reminds me, I do have a wooden one. A friend gave it to me as a gift, I forgot exactly where he got it. Unfortunately, the wire snapped and the beads slid out, gotta put it back together at some point. Here are a few of the beads and the pendant:

DSC05163.jpg

justjohn

Black Republican said:
my brothers, where do the thick asian girls hang? they're too rare these days, we need more of them :(
I was in japan last December and there were some with really thick chun li thighs. That shit turned me on no lie.

Lebron

Black Republican said:
my brothers, where do the thick asian girls hang? they're too rare these days, we need more of them :(
There is a legend that speaks of a mystical land in Brazil where Brazilian/Japanese girls with chun-li thighs roam free. A land of milk and honey, of culos that can blind the eyes if looked directly upon. A land where the Gods themselves must look upon with tears in their eyes marveling at their creation. Finding this place of legend is my only goal in life.

StinkFist

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
I like Good Wood NYC's wooden chains.

screenshot20110424at213.png

screenshot20110424at212.png

Sorry, BlackGAF, but they work with my outfits. :-/

Where is this place? I'll hit the store up tomorrow. Oh and yellow skinned chick has a hairy upper lip.

Top Bottom