• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Imm0rt4l

lightless_shado said:
So I'm watching Black in Latin America with my mother. Watching the first episode about Haiti and the Dominican republic. Can't believe some of the shit I'm hearing. We talked about this earlier in the thread but I still can't wrap my head around how so many people in the Dominican republic are just CONVINCED that they have no black ancestry and aren't black even if they look clearly black.
good video, shit is a shame really.

DominoKid said:
You exfoliating B? STOP THAT!

so how yall feel about the Pretty Boy phenomenon he talking about in this video.

if I could grow a beard like that I damn sure wouldn't shave.
He makes a good general point. The trend to disregard, dismiss, conceal and remove elements that make men who we are is a trend that continues to grow. Emasculation in its purest form. Not surprisingly, the "movement" is being led principally by men who don't have much physical prowess and/or are outright effeminate men in general. Guys who aren't tough at all but who still want to be considered men...so they're trying to quietly move the goal posts to include them.

All should be alert and aware of the source nature of those who seek to influence them culturally. What their intentions are and the reason for those intentions. Unless you're a model, there's a good chance your priorities are misplaced if you're arching your eyebrows and all that.

I also agree that a lot of us lacked father figures...but who didn't already know that.

Lionheart1337 said:
I`m 20 and my entire facial hair consists of a few barely visible strands below my chin.

Feels bad man. I look 12.

I`m alpha as fuck though so I don't care. I just hate the assumptions that come with appearance.
I shave most of my facial hair off all the time. People tend to think I'm a teenager rather than a 31 year old grown man. I think if my facial hair were thicker, I'd rock it more...but it's just not satisfactory to me.

Imm0rt4l

japan-then-and-now.jpg

Just sayin....

Imm0rt4l said:
http://aznaddict.com/files/2009/10/japan-then-and-now.jpg[/IG]

Just sayin....[/QUOTE]
how about I momentarially forgot what thread I clicked into and said to myself, "man, that'd be a great picture for the BC thread..."

dankir

GhettoGamer said:
Sooo i just heard they are remaking juice, witb soulja boy as bishop and waka flocka as raheem. Yeah this is Belly 2 bad, but these young hoodrats will eat it up though

Shut the hell up, you kidding right????

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I shave everyday...twice, if I decide to. Pretty sure there's bear in my family somewhere

stubble = feels good man

Imm0rt4l

dankir said:
Shut the hell up, you kidding right????
serious as a heart attack.
Dreams-Visions said:
how about I momentarially forgot what thread I clicked into and said to myself, "man, that'd be a great picture for the BC thread..."
Yea, I thought it was pretty fitting. My room mate who is Japanese and a historian gave the pic his seal of approval. He said don't let this shit happen to your people.

captmcblack said:
I shaved my beard/mustache to go on an interview.

...and also because I just wanted to remember what I looked like without the facial hair.

I look like I'm 16...ugh. It's so weird to see some knucklehead-ass kids looking tougher than me without my beard. :\
I feel like I lost my power, kinda like Samsons hair, but in beard form.
feels-bad-man.jpg

Imm0rt4l said:
serious as a heart attack.

Yea, I thought it was pretty fitting. My room mate who is Japanese and a historian gave the pic his seal of approval. He said don't let this shit happen to your people.
Bitch-made men will take over if allowed to. It's true. It's the path of least resistance.

DominoKid

see here's the thing about the Juice remake. I dont mind it just because the original was so rooted in early 90s NY culture. with some adjustment it could be a decent look at street life for youngins in the hoods of Atlanta today.

hell, I could even buy Flocka being in it, but not as Raheem cause dude was supposed to be a pretty boy. problem is, who's really gonna believe punk ass Soulja Boy is runnin shit?

fuck that.

also, lol at the Japan pic. so true.

Derwind

All I got is a thin mustache, short ass goatee and stubble all the way down on my neck.....

Better than nothing I suppose.....

Imm0rt4l

soundscream said:
Elba says fuck that shit.
http://i56.tinypic.com/5127gz.gif[IMG]

[IMG]http://i56.tinypic.com/2hi9ee1.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
Speaking of which, does anyone know when season 2 is supposed to start?

DominoKid said:
see here's the thing about the Juice remake. I dont mind it just because the original was so rooted in early 90s NY culture. with some adjustment it could be a decent look at street life for youngins in the hoods of Atlanta today.

hell, I could even buy Flocka being in it, but not as Raheem cause dude was supposed to be a pretty boy. problem is, who's really gonna believe punk ass Soulja Boy is runnin shit?

fuck that.

also, lol at the Japan pic. so true.
My boy you gotta think like these scallywag hoodrats. Waka as raheem is perfect for them cause every mutt wanted to bang waka cause he a "cute dread head". And they damn sure dont care about soulja boy being actin hard aslong as they see him its all good. Hell gucci mayne can play Q and they still wouldnt care. This remake isnt for us that grew up watching the orginal, its for Shaneka driving the honda prelude on 18s headin to the wic office.

DominoKid

GhettoGamer said:
My boy you gotta think like these scallywag hoodrats. Waka as raheem is perfect for them cause every mutt wanted to bang waka cause he a "cute dread head". And they damn sure dont care about soulja boy being actin hard aslong as they see him its all good. Hell gucci mayne can play Q and they still wouldnt care. This remake isnt for us that grew up watching the orginal, its for Shaneka driving the honda prelude on 18s headin to the wic office.

funny thing is that I'm young enough (19) to where a Juice remake SHOULD interest me, but I randomly ran across the original on VH1 or Cinemax when I was 9. probably one of my favorite movies of all time.

Imm0rt4l

soundscream said:
Did you feel like season 1 felt more like season 2. I mean all that backstory would have made a great 1st season.
Yea, I felt that way. It seemed kinda disjointed, especially the first episode. I had to make sure that I was watching the 1st episode of the 1st season. Watching the show made me feel like I was already supposed to know the characters.

Imm0rt4l said:
Yea, I felt that way. It seemed kinda disjointed, especially the first episode. I had to make sure that I was watching the 1st episode of the 1st season. Watching the show made me feel like I was already supposed to know the characters.
Seriously. That was my exact reaction, and I wish they did that because I would have liked to see his character go to the dark places they referenced in order to catch that killer.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Lionheart1337 said:
This post speaks to me.

On another note, it's a shame how latinos and blacks don't get along. It's almost like self-loathing. I was hanging out with these spanish kids in brooklyn, and it's appalling how they can just derogatorily throw the n word around likes it's nothing. I can quote this kid I knew saying "The world would be a better place if all black people were gone". Like wtf? Even said jokingly it's fucked up. Not to say I haven't seen it in the reverse. Some blacks in my family swear that latinos are the only ones that steal, and do dirty things. Crab mentality? We're pretty much in the same boat aren't we?

the scary part is that i didnt know that there was this kind of a rift until after i got out of high school, when all the black and latino wars started brewing in the local high schools. i grew in florecia territory in la, and i never knew there was this kinda strife between blacks and latinos. some of my closest friends are latinos, and it actually pained me to hear that so many black and latino people hated each other. and i want to know why.

Imm0rt4l said:
yea, very high.

15n6e5y.gif

I'd fuck her crazy ass

Luther, it's a great show.

is that the chick? if so most likely. i think redheads are a new form of black man kryptonite

Parallax said:
is that the chick? if so most likely. i think redheads are a new form of black man kryptonite

*respeck knuckles* Blondes are so played out.

I can't wait for the second season of that show. Last show I watched with any sort of black protagonist in a law enforcement position was Fillmore! unless Mcnulty doesn't count as the protagonist in The Wire.

Parallax

lightless_shado said:
*respeck knuckles* Blondes are so played out.

blondes are commonplace in the west. good looking redheads are those rare occurences, like another group of women....

Mattlikewhoa said:
My wife laughed at this comment...I totally agree with you!

congrats man! you hit the jackpot bro

Parallax

Mononofu said:
Redheads are great and blondes are fine too. Rather have the natural ones of course. ;)

absolutely. fake redheads are lies that i dont want to hear

MWS Natural said:
http://i.imgur.com/xhhw9.png
Her "hat" is Ryu's headhand, from Street Fighter. Are you implying that Ryu's headband is soft as fuck? And, more to the point, are you going to say the hat he was wearing wasn't soft?

RedSwirl

Urban Scholar said:
I was at the gym and I was talking to an older guy that I know. We were sharing some stuff he was asking me what I was doing with life. I let him know my life road map for the next 4-5 years with school and etc. He nodded and told me its cool that young brothers like me are doing something out there. Respect, felt good hearing that from one of my elders. Just wanted to share : )

Any way we can segway this into a discussion about our aspirations compared to our parents' aspirations?

Maybe observe the fairly common pattern of our parents' generation being the first to have any actual opportunities in life?

The Faceless Master said:
and then reality sets in...

http://i.imgur.com/4iWcV.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/2EYdC.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/IMMuh.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
STOP IT B!

EDIT: Is the one in the middle wearing lipstick?

Top Bottom