• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

I've decided that I want to Revisit this show from the very first season.
Ff7SZ.jpg

what an amazing, amazing
AMAZING
show. Maybe its because I haven't watched a black sitcom in a while, or maybe its the nostalgia but wow this program is just so well put together.

The jokes, the interaction between the family members, their issues...they're not poor, but they're not rich either. They're a middle class black family that isn't riddled with Tyler Perry-esque exaggerated characters. It just has so much...flavour.

Baby Milo said:
serious?

family matters is horrible. gets even worse when every episode turns into what crazy thing does steve do this week.

I'm still on the first season. Steve has only shown up once for like a few minutes. I don't know how prevalent he is in later episodes(on episode 6 now). Even when I first watched the show I thought he was a fine character. Totally blew my mind first time I even saw that character. Only black dudes in TV shows were skateboarders or athletes, or skateboarding athletes.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
lightless_shado said:
I'm still on the first season. Steve has only shown up once for like a few minutes. I don't know how prevalent he is in later episodes(on episode 6 now). Even when I first watched the show I thought he was a fine character. Totally blew my mind first time I even saw that character. Only black dudes in TV shows were skateboarders or athletes, or skateboarding athletes.
season 2 is when steve becomes a regular member. And if you want to continue watching, do it up until steffan rolls around. Everything after that is just steve jumping over a giant mechanical shark with rocket skates.(especially the step by step crossover. Seriously, what the fuck?)

lightless_shado said:
Ff7SZ.jpg

what an amazing, amazing
AMAZING
show. Maybe its because I haven't watched a black sitcom in a while, or maybe its the nostalgia but wow this program is just so well put together.

The jokes, the interaction between the family members, their issues...they're not poor, but they're not rich either. They're a middle class black family that isn't riddled with Tyler Perry-esque exaggerated characters. It just has so much...flavour.

Best part of the show is when the youngest daughter
disappears for no apparent reason
lol

SmokyDave said:
Care to address my last post in that thread?

Edit: I have a massive crush on you. I have a sticker in my car that says 'SmokyDave' over the driver and 'Space Reserved For MWS Natural' over the passenger seat.
Oh I was getting around to it, it just wasn't that compelling of a post for me to address immediately. I much prefer your PM's when you break out the Nietzsche quotes. Feel free to check up on me in the NFL OT and NCAA 11 Community thread later.

MWS Natural said:
Interesting thread.

Did someone say weebo??

Haven't read through all the posts in that thread, but France has been disappointing me with their intolerance lately. From rounding up and kicking out Roma Gypsies, increasingly outlandish racist comments from prominent figures, the burqa thing, now the soccer thing.

Sigh.

Lebron said:
Yes, he shows the symptoms. You don't go to Japan and play Gundam if you're not one. He no fooling me.

I still remember that video of him flipping out over Yakuza and Valkyria Chronicles. He wasn't fooling anybody.

Lebron

Urban Scholar said:
I still remember that video of him flipping out over Yakuza and Valkyria Chronicles. He wasn't fooling anybody.
Yeah, you just don't "stumble" onto those games. He's a master troll.

RedSwirl

Lebron said:
Yeah, you just don't "stumble" onto those games. He's a master troll.

See that's what I've been thinking about Souljaboy too ever since I started looking at his music.

His full stage name is Souljaboy tell em', his first album was called souljaboytellem.com, and another one was called iSouljaboy. It's like the most obvious and deliberate self advertising there is, as if he's parodying the self-advertising nature of rap.

And then of course there's the fact that he was aware enough of games like Yakuza Kenzan, Valkyria Chronicles, and Braid.

I honestly think he is just a massive troll on the current state of the music industry.

RedSwirl said:
See that's what I've been thinking about Souljaboy too ever since I started looking at his music.

His full stage name is Souljaboy tell em', his first album was called souljaboytellem.com, and another one was called iSouljaboy. It's like the most obvious and deliberate self advertising there is, as if he's parodying the self-advertising nature of rap.

And then of course there's the fact that he was aware enough of games like Yakuza Kenzan, Valkyria Chronicles, and Braid.

I honestly think he is just a massive troll on the current state of the music industry.

LOL, he's a closet nerd. Let's leave it at that. Don't go trying to give him more credit than he deserves...

Zoramon089 said:
LOL, he's a closet nerd. Let's leave it at that. Don't go trying to give him more credit than he deserves...

I don't think he's really a closet nerd. He did challenge the internet to a duel over XBOXlive.

MWS Natural said:

Interesting post. I think some people didn't get what you were trying to say. Its more understandable if you hate a group because of what they've done to your people or you than if they hadn't done anything, but you're treating them like they have. Its not necessarily correct, but it's more understandable.

sadaiyappan

Really? Sorry, didn't know about it. I was talking about the sort of chubby girl who was his first girlfriend not the girl who always rejects him and who lives next door to him.

Sadaiyappan said:
Really? Sorry, didn't know about it. I was talking about the sort of chubby girl who was his first girlfriend not the girl who always rejects him and who lives next door to him.

That was who we were talking about.

4413_114258063789.jpg

This chick right? It was stomach cancer.

lightless_shado said:
Ff7SZ.jpg

what an amazing, amazing
AMAZING

No, the show is good, but not the Cosby Show.

The real problem is that you are comparing it to Meet The Browns, Are We There Yet, etc. It's not that I don't appreciate the effort from Ice Cube, it's just that the show itself isn't very good.

In other news, the wife finally swore off Tyler Perry movies after this last bout of bullshit. Jokes were corny, characters were irredeemable, and the film broke down at 70 minutes as usual.

I swear that Boondocks episode looks more and more truthful with every release.

Sent

Boombloxer said:

The real problem is that you are comparing it to Meet The Browns, Are We There Yet, etc. It's not that I don't appreciate the effort from Ice Cube, it's just that the show itself isn't very good.

In other news, the wife finally swore off Tyler Perry movies after this last bout of bullshit. Jokes were corny, characters were irredeemable, and the film broke down at 70 minutes as usual.

She made it past "For Colored Girls?" ha...no idea how.

I was talking to a friend the other day about Family Matters and the rest of the shows that used to come on TGIF. Shame Jaleel White's career never really took off.

Door2Dawn said:
who you is?

I'm the token white guy who used to hang out in this thread all the time. Just finished a 2 month ban- haven't so much as even lurked GAF.

Already I see names I don't recognize...the internet never sleeps I guess.

You might recognize my avatar, but it seems it's no longer active.

And who you is?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Whoompthereitis said:
I'm the token white guy who used to hang out in this thread all the time. Just finished a 2 month ban- haven't so much as even lurked GAF.

And who you is?

whoomp? damn bro, i thought you got perma'd. welcome back to the fold.

Parallax said:
whoomp? damn bro, i thought you got perma'd. welcome back to the fold.

Thanks man. It was actually a voluntary ban. I PM'd Evilore and asked for 2 months off. I found myself on GAF at work too much, and I thought I needed a break. Hopefully I'll behave this time, but if I start posting at work again I'll ask for another ban.

Missed you guys though...

Boombloxer said:

Your wife was a soldier for that. I was done with Tyler when he gave Angela Basset that terrible script and had Rick fucking Fox playing the "hero" in yet another by-the-numbers Perry film/play.

Door2Dawn

Banned
Whoompthereitis said:

And who you is?
Oooh yeah. Welcome back. How did you get banned?

Door2Dawn said:
Oooh yeah. Welcome back. How did you get banned?

he said earlier that it was a voluntary ban.

Welcome back whoomp. You probably don't recognize me without my old avatar seeing as the .gifs aren't allowed anymore.

lightless_shado said:
he said earlier that it was a voluntary ban.

Welcome back whoomp. You probably don't recognize me without my old avatar seeing as the .gifs aren't allowed anymore.

Gifs aren't allowed? Man, what the hell else have I missed?

And yeah, I remember you. 'Sup?

Whoompthereitis said:
Gifs aren't allowed? Man, what the hell else have I missed?

And yeah, I remember you. 'Sup?
Not much other than that. There was a thread that resulted in spindashing getting banned though. Don't know for how long.

Imm0rt4l

Whoompthereitis said:

And who you is?
welcome back

*trades in free whoomp shirt for a free spindashing shirt.

Whoompthereitis said:
Thanks man. It was actually a voluntary ban. I PM'd Evilore and asked for 2 months off. I found myself on GAF at work too much, and I thought I needed a break. Hopefully I'll behave this time, but if I start posting at work again I'll ask for another ban.

Missed you guys though...

Man, it's impossible to keep up with gaf during the weekdays. I don't know how people do it.

This thread is great though since it doesn't grow 5 pages by the time I wake up in the mornings.

Btw, welcome back!

Top Bottom