• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

The Faceless Master said:
and then reality sets in...

http://i.imgur.com/4iWcV.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/2EYdC.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/IMMuh.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Spindashing?
[spoiler] forgive me [/spoiler]

[QUOTE=Dreams-Visions]I knew a brotha that wore eyeliner.

no shit.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i37.tinypic.com/359mvj5.gif

ITT: Hatin' ass niggas, why don't you guys make something cool so all the swaggerjackers can hop on your bandwagons.

I mean before Yeezy & Pharrell everybody was wearing saggy ass low-riding jeans, create pop culture yourselves haters.

TL;DR:
LLShC.gif

DominoKid

Tiger uppercut said:
ITT: Hatin' ass niggas, why don't you guys make something cool so all the swaggerjackers can hop on your bandwagons.

I mean before Yeezy & Pharrell everybody was wearing saggy ass low-riding jeans, create pop culture yourselves haters.

TL;DR:
LLShC.gif

2agjdqf.jpg

Tiger uppercut said:

TL;DR:
LLShC.gif
2s0cncy.gif

Parallax said:
but...why?
I assume he thought it made him look good.

He was a short guy...maybe 5' 4", but had secured some power for himself. He was actually the Chair of NSBE for a year. Nice guy...but when he sat down next to me at a dinner reception for the first time, I did a double-take and laughed my ass off later.

Dreams-Visions said:
I assume he thought it made him look good.

He was a short guy...maybe 5' 4", but had secured some power for himself. He was actually the Chair of NSBE for a year. Nice guy...but when he sat down next to me at a dinner reception for the first time, I did a double-take and laughed my ass off later.

whatever man you're just mad cuz he has that pretty...boy...swag

lightless_shado said:
whatever man you're just mad cuz he has that pretty...boy...swag
sheeeyit. lol

oh, and he wasn't particularly handsome or anything either. it was...he was kinda weird. but he got much ass. idk. I believe he still works at IBM and is now married. Still...he's one of those brothas where NOBODY would be surprised if we found out he was getting some dick on the side.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Tiger uppercut said:

TL;DR:
LLShC.gif
My grandmother had a saying "throw a rock into a pack of dogs, and the one that gets hit hollers"

Okay this might seem crazy but is it me or are the a lot of black people on twitter? I hadn't really noticed until I made an account a few months ago and got serious with it.

Tokubetsu

lightless_shado said:
Okay this might seem crazy but is it me or are the a lot of black people on twitter? I hadn't really noticed until I made an account a few months ago and got serious with it.

I think I brought this up earlier in the thread. The trending topics are always embarassing as fuck.

DominoKid

Parallax said:
My grandmother had a saying "throw a rock into a pack of dogs, and the one that gets hit hollers"

"throw it out there and a hit dog will holler" is how i was told

i call people "hit dogs" all the time and i get the strangest looks so apparently thats some oldschool slang.

also, yes. negros do love twitter.

RedSwirl said:
Any way we can segway this into a discussion about our aspirations compared to our parents' aspirations?

Maybe observe the fairly common pattern of our parents' generation being the first to have any actual opportunities in life?

For my parents I think they really wanted to take part of the American dream. As with most Haitians at their age then they wanted more opportunities. My mother came and became a healthcare worker and worked her way up to a nurse. She always told me she wanted a good career and enjoy life they way she saw fit.

For myself, I can relate with the last bit. My career choice differs as I want to become an educator with my English degree. Eventually, I want to become a guidance counselor too and maybe(more than maybe) go after a law degree. I figure the more you know the more dangerous you are.

Working full time has made my path a little slower than I'd like but no real complaints.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Bottom right is an Anzac wearin slouch hat and any true blue Aussie would snap that cunt replacing him.

This post + avatar = gold

Urban Scholar said:
For my parents I think they really wanted to take part of the American dream.

My (hatian) dad is the same way. He's always telling me about how they do things in America like I haven't lived here for most of my life lol :)

He's an accountant and is a very hard worker. I am a slacker compared to him. I am still not 100% sure what I will end up doing later in life but at this point it's looking like something in web development or science related.

Black Republican said:
man this Italian teacher i know openly loves black men, just like the teacher from everybody hates chris,lol

Yeah man, I've known plenty of caucasian females who go out with mostly black guys.

It's one of the advantages of being a minority. You can offer something different than the next guy.

Half-and-half said:
Yeah man, I've known plenty of caucasian females who go out with mostly black guys.

It's one of the advantages of being a minority. You can offer something different than the next guy.
Well it's cool when it's for the right reasons and not the wrong ones..

MWS Natural said:
Well it's cool when it's for the right reasons and not the wrong ones..

Oh yeah no doubt. I remember back in school, there were some chicks getting with black dudes b/c it was something forbidden to them (like they were disobeying daddy or something). That's some bizarre shit.

Half-and-half said:
Oh yeah no doubt. I remember back in school, there were some chicks getting with black dudes b/c it was something forbidden to them (like they were disobeying daddy or something). That's some bizarre shit.
Exactly. Also the sister of the chick I am currently with only dates black guys. I asked her why and she gave me this crazy 'duh' look and said, "You know why!". I was honestly pretty taken back by this. It's one thing to be attracted to black men for their bodies, brown skin, swag, or intelligence but to ONLY date black guys becuase of dick size is crazy lol. I mean I know I'm good but I know EVERY brother out there can't be packin!

MWS Natural said:
Exactly. Also the sister of the chick I am currently with only dates black guys. I asked her why and she gave me this crazy 'duh' look and said, "You know why!". I was honestly pretty taken back by this. It's one thing to be attracted to black men for their bodies, brown skin, swag, or intelligence but to ONLY date black guys becuase of dick size is crazy lol. I mean I know I'm good but I know EVERY brother out there can't be packin!

Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm a pretty proud guy and if I found out that someone only messed around with me for some as superficial as my dick size I would be pissed. What's stopping you from cheating on me with other black dudes? Like me for my looks or my personality or fuck off lol

captmcblack said:
As for race and film (or games and other media for that matter), we know they don't care about diversifying their stuff. It's lame, most definitely. Like we've asked before, why couldn't the Hangover be done with black people in EXACTLY the same situations with exactly the same dialogue? Why couldn't you have Juno with Hispanic people people? Why couldn't a cartoon like say...Generator Rex or something be done with a black kid? That's the stuff they have to do. I'd imagine if it even occurred to them to try to do those sort of things with minorities, they probably focus tested it and turned people off or something. :(

Rex from Generator Rex is hispanic. They just don't address it often.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Be sure to hook your mothers up with a hug black-gaf. It's been a year without mine, and I miss her daily.

RedSwirl

perfectnight said:
My (hatian) dad is the same way. He's always telling me about how they do things in America like I haven't lived here for most of my life lol :)

He's an accountant and is a very hard worker. I am a slacker compared to him. I am still not 100% sure what I will end up doing later in life but at this point it's looking like something in web development or science related.

I know what you mean. Both of my parents were the first people to graduate from high school and go to college in either of their entire family histories. Each one was a case where out of all the siblings (four in my mom's case, seven in my dad's case), my grandparents could only afford to send them to school. My mom graduated high school valedictorian and my dad 10th in his class.

After they met in college my dad joined the Army and 25 years later worked at the Pentagon. He's now the director of one of its agencies. While my mom has been hopping from profession to profession her entire married life, she did pick cotton from the time she was six until she went to college. The point I'm trying to drive here is that despite being in my mid 20's and them being in their 50's, I'm nowhere near my parents' levels of physical and mental fortitude.

soundscream said:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5069/5699910593_9a38d0cb27_b.jpg[img][IMG][/QUOTE]

?! Ok I have a baby picture almost wearing nearly the same outfit. I think our mothers just had this thing for the Navy or something.

justjohn

Btw is just me or everytime you see a thick(not fat) non black chick it's almost guaranteed she's into black dudes? i've never come across one that wasn't

Measley

lightless_shado said:
So I'm watching Black in Latin America with my mother. Watching the first episode about Haiti and the Dominican republic. Can't believe some of the shit I'm hearing. We talked about this earlier in the thread but I still can't wrap my head around how so many people in the Dominican republic are just CONVINCED that they have no black ancestry and aren't black even if they look clearly black.

Wow, that crap is crazy.

I really wish more people from Latin America would embrace their African roots. We could really build some bridges between the two communities. However, I also think people from Latin America embrace a more multiracial identity, and some American blacks have issues with that.

Top Bottom