• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Master Z

Dreams-Visions said:
bitch, don't let me hear my wife's name come out of your mouth ever again.
COME AT ME BRO!!

EDIT: ^^ *SWOON* *FAINTS*
VEIDT U SHUT UR DIRTY WHORE MOUTH!! She is an angel and only I shall touch heeeer!! >:[

bobbychalkers said:
5u4qqt.jpg

Dat Fro
I TOLD YOU MOTHAFUCKAS ABOUT POSTING PICTURES OF MY WIFE ON THE INTERNET.

I'M TIRED OF THIS SHIT

DominoKid

nah the afro is an ill hairstyle for a dude to rock.

speaking from experience its a pain in the ass to keep up.

i let mine grow out in middle school. never again.

ReiGun

I've contemplated growing a fro, but I always wind up cutting my hair when I realize how much I hate caring for it.
bobbychalkers said:
http://i55.tinypic.com/5u4qqt.jpg
Dat Fro
Be still, my heart. <3 <3 <3 <3

DominoKid said:
nah the afro is an ill hairstyle for a dude to rock.

speaking from experience its a pain in the ass to keep up.

i let mine grow out in middle school. never again.

It works on men and women but it works best on some women

exhibit A
i9CxL.jpg

DominoKid

i've never seen the afro as a chick hairstyle. regardless of how many chicks rock it it just looks manly to me. same as when women rock a baldy or a low cut.

just my tastes.

Master Z

Hip hop artists that I would love to see collabo with Esperanza:

Common
Nas
Talib Kweli
Mos Def
Black Thought/ The Roots
Ghostface
Blu
Faeshawn
Pharaohe Monch
Lupe Fiasco
J. Cole
Kendrick Lamar
Nikkiya
Dessa
Eternia
Masia One
Shad

Amazing music would be created. /dream

Equus Bellator Apex said:
I know.

exhibit B?
Imani_Coppola_2.jpg

More like exhibit C. Still good, but I'm talking more of a "rounder" afro. *see also Nicole Ari Parker in Black Dynamite.

DominoKid said:
i've never seen the afro as a chick hairstyle. regardless of how many chicks rock it it just looks manly to me. same as when women rock a baldy or a low cut.

just my tastes.

I can kind of understand what you mean. For me I see it as a unisex hairstyle sort of like cornrows. In fact, in some african countries its considered a feminine hairstyle.

On another note: Those of you with a lot of white friends, do you ever get into a situation where they seem to forget that you're around them and they drop the N-bomb? How do you guys react? The other day I was chilling with a guy who saw a friend he recognized and tried shouting "Nigger!" to get his attention. I looked at him like "What the FUCK is wrong with you?" And a few minutes ago one of my friends updated his facebook status with something along the lines of "sup nigaaaaz"(he was being more incoherent than that. He might have been drinking)

I'm starting to get tired of this shit. I don't really have a choice here though as I suck at making friends and most people here are white.

DominoKid

man i remember one night we were riding around my roommate's (white dude) home neighborhood and we picked up some fine ass highschool chick he knew from his bible study group (he's a mentor or some bullshit). she gets in the passenger seat and starts tellin a story about some bullshit and she's droppin mad N-bombs. and my roommate is like "what'd i tell you about saying that?" she's like "but there's no black people here. how come you never let me say it around you?" and he points to the backseat and she sees me and starts apologizing profusely. i was slouched in the backseat smoking so passersby couldnt see me. i was completely blown so i just said "and you bet not say it when we fucking later either." my roommate died laughing and she freaked out a lil bit.

i didnt realize how sketchy that probably sounded to her cause i was 19 then and she was 15 or 16 at the time but fuck it. next time i saw her she tried to act like we'd never met before.

DominoKid said:
man i remember one night we were riding around my roommate's (white dude) home neighborhood and we picked up some fine ass highschool chick he knew from his bible study group (he's a mentor or some bullshit). she gets in the passenger seat and starts tellin a story about some bullshit and she's droppin mad N-bombs. and my roommate is like "what'd i tell you about saying that?" she's like "but there's no black people here. how come you dont want me to say it around you?" and he points to the backseat and she sees me and starts apologizing profusely. i was slouched in the backseat smoking so passersby couldnt see me. i was completely blown so i just said "and you bet not say it when we fucking later either." my roommate died laughing and she freaked out a lil bit.

i didnt realize how sketchy that probably sounded to her cause i was 19 then and she was 15 or 16 at the time but fuck it. next time i saw her she tried to act like we'd never met before.

ibkOcA.gif

wish I could react as smoothly as that

Yeah when I'm hanging out with new friends that I meet I cant help thinking "what kind of racist shit are they saying when I'm not around?" With all the white people I've hung out when it comes to N-bombs its not a matter of if but when and how loudly.

Back in 8th or 9th grade I was hanging out with a friend and he had told me that his older brother was notorious for dropping the n-bomb and I didn't really believe him until he showed up like one hour later and he noticed a bunch of blueberries in a bowl on the table and then his mom walked in and--I shit you not-- he said "mom, look, niggerberries" and let out a bit of a chuckle. My friends were looking at him like "MY GOD WHAT HAVE YOU DONE"

DominoKid

honestly my general philosophy about it is simple. while i dont appreciate it, i'm not gonna get bent all outta shape and crush your shit like i really want to cause all that does is make me tired. i'll either drop some knowledge to make you stop or if i dont like you, i'll just let you be. because somewhere along the line they'll either realize how dumb they sound or they're gonna drop it around the wrong crowd thinking that everyone is as easygoing as me and they're gonna get fucked up. life is funny like that.

most white people i've come across dont say it. and if they do say it when not in mixed company then there's nothing i can do about it. so why devote the brainpower to the "what if"

DominoKid said:
honestly my general philosophy about it is simple. while i dont appreciate it, i'm not gonna get bent all outta shape and crush your shit like i really want to cause all that does is make me tired. i'll either drop some knowledge to make you stop or if i dont like you, i'll just let you be. because somewhere along the line they'll either realize how dumb they sound or they're gonna drop it around the wrong crowd thinking that everyone is as easygoing as me and they're gonna get fucked up. life is funny like that.

I agree.

In my experiences, many whites find themselves to be "hood enough" or whatever to use the phrase "nigga", and calling them out these days seems to get one painted as "that guy" or "militant" or whatever.

It's frustrating, but on the other hand, All I know is that this new "anti-PC" or "ironically racist", or whatever the fuck, kreashawn bullshit, runs both ways. And I "get mine in" too.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
lightless_shado said:
ibkOcA.gif

wish I could react as smoothly as that

Yeah when I'm hanging out with new friends that I meet I cant help thinking "what kind of racist shit are they saying when I'm not around?" With all the white people I've hung out when it comes to N-bombs its not a matter of if but when and how loudly.

Back in 8th or 9th grade I was hanging out with a friend and he had told me that his older brother was notorious for dropping the n-bomb and I didn't really believe him until he showed up like one hour later and he noticed a bunch of blueberries in a bowl on the table and then his mom walked in and--I shit you not-- he said "mom, look, niggerberries" and let out a bit of a chuckle. My friends were looking at him like "MY GOD WHAT HAVE YOU DONE"

Where do you live?

Kitschkraft said:
In my experiences, many whites find themselves to be "hood enough" or whatever to use the phrase "nigga", and calling them out these days seems to get one painted as "that guy" or "militant" or whatever.

It's frustrating, but on the other hand, All I know is that this new "anti-PC" or "ironically racist", or whatever the fuck, kreashawn bullshit, runs both ways. And I "get mine in" too.

I really HATE how popular this kreashawn/fake-gangsta girl shit is. I thought we were done with that after this:
Hollabckgirl.jpg

but apparently not.

Blackace said:
Where do you live?
A city in Northern British Columbia.

Equus Bellator Apex

lightless_shado said:
I really HATE how popular this kreashawn/fake-gangsta girl shit is. I thought we were done with that after this:
Hollabckgirl.jpg

but apparently not.

A city in Northern British Columbia.
4492821562_9c33299ab6.jpg

The A&Rs were probably so excited when they signed her.

"Urban" enough to be considered cool, white mainstream enough to move a lot of CDs.

Dream come true.

The A&Rs were probably so excited when they signed her.

"Urban" enough to be considered cool, white mainstream enough to move a lot of CDs.

Dream come true.

But the thing that bothers me is that she's not urban. Eminem is. He's had to deal with being poor, he's been through a lot of bullshit from everyone and he's earned his respect.

What kreashawn and her ilk are basically doing is aping that aesthetic and style while not giving credit where credit is due. I mean I don't want to sound like I'm saying that certain words or clothes "belong" to anyone, but it really irks me when I see an art-form or lifestyle that's just been 'robbed of its authenticity' for lack of better term. Sort of like how you see a lot of people getting Chinese character tattoos without knowing what the fuck each character means.

I think the worst part of all this is the fact that for her it's probably just a phase and 20 years from now she won't even think about dressing like someone from a hood and she'll probably not be listening to hip hop

lightless_shado said:
But the thing that bothers me is that she's not urban. Eminem is. He's had to deal with being poor, he's been through a lot of bullshit from everyone and he's earned his respect.

What kreashawn and her ilk are basically doing is aping that aesthetic and style while not giving credit where credit is due. I mean I don't want to sound like I'm saying that certain words or clothes "belong" to anyone, but it really irks me when I see an art-form or lifestyle that's just been 'robbed of its authenticity' for lack of better term. Sort of like how you see a lot of people getting Chinese character tattoos without knowing what the fuck each character means.
What does this mean exactly?

Also, rap is bigger than poverty/struggle. The two aren't synonymous, any more than you have to have a heroin addiction to be a rock star. And if you're going to argue that rap has been robbed of it's authenticity, well, a bunch of very popular, black artists did that to hell and back a long time ago before this "kreayshawn" ever came around. She's certainly not the first rapper who didn't suffer through poverty.

Maybe you should stop dancing around the fact that you don't like that she's white, but not disenfranchised enough to "make up for it".

Equus Bellator Apex

lightless_shado said:

I think the worst part of all this is the fact that for her it's probably just a phase and 20 years from now she won't even think about dressing like someone from a hood and she'll probably not be listening to hip hop

I completly agree.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
LaserBuddha said:

Also, rap is bigger than poverty/struggle. The two aren't synonymous, any more than you have to have a heroin addiction to be a rock star. And if you're going to argue that rap has been robbed of it's authenticity, well, a bunch of very popular, black artists did that to hell and back a long time ago before this "kreayshawn" ever came around. She's certainly not the first rapper who didn't suffer through poverty.

Maybe you should stop dancing around the fact that you don't like that she's white, but not disenfranchised enough to "make up for it".
I don't know about everyone else. But I don't like the fact that she's white. She's white, how can she ever rap?

You need to listen to people like Soulja boi, Lil' B, and the lot. They are real rappers!

LaserBuddha said:

Maybe I could've phrased it differently, but the basic idea I want to get across is this: She doesn't feel geniune. To me it seems like she and people like soulja boy or lil b' will eventually toss out this aesthetic and move on to something else like for them it's just a phase. Lil'b doesn't get serious respect in the rap community and neither does Kreasyshawn but among suburban kids people love them. It seems to me like they're making fun of rap, but with Lil'B and Soulja boy it's part of "their" culture so they'll get more leeway, but with Kreayshawn it just seems like she's making fun of a piece of another people's culture and she's from a people that are sort of infamous for doing that. I mean I don't want to offend anyone but really I can't think of any other way to put it.

For me hip-hop is music that was born out of struggle and one of the reason I dislike modern mainstream hip-hop is because these rappers have nothing to say. Personally I prefer to hear songs about people who struggled in the hood or who struggled through a lot of personal issues. To me that seems more real, like to them Hip-Hop was such a big part of their lives when things weren't going so great and now that they've got a record deal they'll never give up on hip hop and they'll love it forever.

Do I think there's an element of race involved? a tiny bit as the black community in America treasures hip-hop culture so much and they would like to see more of their people being famous because of that art form, but my beef with her I guess you could say is more related to the fact that she just makes shitty hip-hop and doesn't take a genre that is so near and dear to so many people seriously.

This isn't one of those "OH YOU LOVE LIL' B because he's black but when a white person does the same thing YOU HATE THEM!" situations. I don't take lil'b seriously as a rapper but at least he makes me laugh. When I see Kreayshawn I don't laugh, and instead it infuriates me when I see white girls listening to that shit but unwilling to actually hang out with black people it really angers me because they want the milk but are unwilling to come anywhere near the cow.

I don't know if any of that made sense, I guess I just have a lot of anger over this.
feel free to just write off my post as the ravings of a mad insomniac
smh

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
I don't laugh, and instead it infuriates me when I see white girls listening to that shit but unwilling to actually hang out with black people it really angers me because they want the milk but are unwilling to come anywhere near the cow.

As much as anyone might want to deny this. This is a true phenomenon. In general, people want to take from black culture, yet not associate with black people.

Those people can gently fuck right off.

Londa

Banned
In all honesty I don't really listen to hip hop, rap, and rnb. But I occassionally will. I prefer indie music, rock, and whatever else. I do at times, hear something from rap that I will listen to occassionally. However, I don't own any rap albums.

I don't like krea because she is annoying and has nothing worthwhile to listen to.

lightless_shado said:
We know if spin was a mod these are the EXACT shenanigans he'd be up to. Baiting people to get their prejudice out and then banning them
01laugh.gif
:lol

Actually, I once thought of not being so random/crazy/eccentric on GAF so that I could be even considered to be a mod. I think, in all seriousness, that I could make a good one.

But then again I'd miss being crazy.

Edit: Londa, you sound like my sister, but she's coming around.

As far as Kreayshawn goes, there's just different types of rapping. There's conscious rap, gangsta rap and Lil B/Kreayshawn could fall under rap that doesn't take itself seriously. There's other types of rap as well, and hip-hop happens to be my favorite genre of music. Number 2 is Funk and number 3 is Rock.

Londa

Banned
spindashing said:

Actually, I once thought of not being so random/crazy/eccentric on GAF so that I could be even considered to be a mod. I think, in all seriousness, that I could make a good one.

As far as Kreayshawn goes, there's just different types of rapping. There's conscious rap, gangsta rap and Lil B/Kreayshawn could fall under rap that doesn't take itself seriously. There's other types of rap as well, and hip-hop happens to be my favorite genre of music. Number 2 is Funk and number 3 is Rock.

Aww, what is wrong with my taste in music?

Antagon

spindashing said:

I've only heard one track by Kreayshawn and I think it's awful. The problem isn't that it isn't serious, the problem is that it simply sounds like shit. Personally I'm a fan of a Dutch Hip Hop group called 'De Jeugd van Tegenwoordig' that isn't serious at all but still has fantastic beats and often hilarious lyrics.

Hollereer just to give an example.

Londa said:
Aww, what is wrong with my taste in music?

Nothing different is good. If we all liked the same thing it would be boring. I know I don't like what's played on the radio. This is why I like stumbling upon under the radar stuff.

Air

Banned
Kreashawn is just a really bad writer, and she has no presence at all, amongst other things. There are plenty of bad rappers who are black, she just happens to be a bad rapper who is white. I don't discriminate, I'm an equal opportunity hater.

justjohn

Veidt said:
As much as anyone might want to deny this. This is a true phenomenon. In general, people want to take from black culture, yet not associate with black people.

Those people can gently fuck right off.
So just because a White girl loves hiphop she should start fucking black dudes to be really down? Lol.
I love Japanese culture like anime and samurai stuff, yet I have no interest in hanging out with Japanese people since I probably don't have much in common with them.

Top Bottom