• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Yasae

Banned
Londa said:
Robyn is more pop. Hmm well if you ever want music advice I don't mind suggesting things.

Here is one artist I like: Imogen Heap (I'm not sure if she is indie, but I like her)

Hide and Seek
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYIAfiVGluk

Head lock
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKZsZkH_MJc

For black artists.. well they aren't really into making indie, and rock which makes me feel bad. I hope that more blacks experiment with other forms of music.
She pretty much does everything herself except distribution and administration.

How can I link this to Black GAF? Hmm... The performance I saw of her (2006) was right around the time of James Brown's last, unfortunately. Still have the ad with their names on it. Such a shame when he left.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Dreams-Visions said:
Hey Descendants-of-Slaves-GAF-as-a-subset-of-BlackGAF:

Does it ever randomly bother anyone else that you'll never know your true last name?

It comes and goes for me...and it just came back a few minutes ago, watching a baseball game and wondering how this dark brotha got the last name "Brazoban" and what his background story is. Which of course made me think of mine, or the lack thereof.

I'm feeling solemn as hell right now.

Nope doesn't bother me at all...

Don't know why it should bother you

Yasae

Banned
lightless_shado said:
Maybe I could've phrased it differently, but the basic idea I want to get across is this: She doesn't feel geniune. To me it seems like she and people like soulja boy or lil b' will eventually toss out this aesthetic and move on to something else like for them it's just a phase. Lil'b doesn't get serious respect in the rap community and neither does Kreasyshawn but among suburban kids people love them. It seems to me like they're making fun of rap, but with Lil'B and Soulja boy it's part of "their" culture so they'll get more leeway, but with Kreayshawn it just seems like she's making fun of a piece of another people's culture and she's from a people that are sort of infamous for doing that. I mean I don't want to offend anyone but really I can't think of any other way to put it.

For me hip-hop is music that was born out of struggle and one of the reason I dislike modern mainstream hip-hop is because these rappers have nothing to say. Personally I prefer to hear songs about people who struggled in the hood or who struggled through a lot of personal issues. To me that seems more real, like to them Hip-Hop was such a big part of their lives when things weren't going so great and now that they've got a record deal they'll never give up on hip hop and they'll love it forever.

Do I think there's an element of race involved? a tiny bit as the black community in America treasures hip-hop culture so much and they would like to see more of their people being famous because of that art form, but my beef with her I guess you could say is more related to the fact that she just makes shitty hip-hop and doesn't take a genre that is so near and dear to so many people seriously.

This isn't one of those "OH YOU LOVE LIL' B because he's black but when a white person does the same thing YOU HATE THEM!" situations. I don't take lil'b seriously as a rapper but at least he makes me laugh. When I see Kreayshawn I don't laugh, and instead it infuriates me when I see white girls listening to that shit but unwilling to actually hang out with black people it really angers me because they want the milk but are unwilling to come anywhere near the cow.

I don't know if any of that made sense, I guess I just have a lot of anger over this.
feel free to just write off my post as the ravings of a mad insomniac

smh
Makes perfect sense to me. Basically she doesn't have an angle - or, well, she does have some (sharp) angles on that body for sure, but not with her music.

Yasae

Banned
Equus Bellator Apex said:
You remembered!
You'll have to forgive me for mixing you up with Ignis Fatuus, another NeoGAF member who is currently in the
INSERT RAGE HERE
Old Republic beta.

Londa said:
how much watermelon, chicken, and ribs can you eat over the weekend? 1 plate? 2 plates? 3 plates??

XD

You know my family doesn't really celebrate July 4th in this manner. I still work full days and so do they. I guess when it hits us we have half a day then we have a rare family dinner.

YoungHav

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:

Does it ever randomly bother anyone else that you'll never know your true last name?

It comes and goes for me...and it just came back a few minutes ago, watching a baseball game and wondering how this dark brotha got the last name "Brazoban" and what his background story is. Which of course made me think of mine, or the lack thereof.

What was your name? How come you don't know your name? Why did you forget it? How did you forget it? What was your tongue? How come you can't speak your tongue? LOL just kidding (paraphrasing malcolm).

In all seriousness I am confused by my last name. My family is from Haiti (which had slavery) but my last name is not French. I still have an African last name, I have no idea how my African ancestors came to a slave island and kept their names. I traced my roots back to the mid 1800s for a family tree project and we were in Haiti then.

Dreams-Visions said:

Not at all.

Londa said:
how much watermelon, chicken, and ribs can you eat over the weekend? 1 plate? 2 plates? 3 plates??

XD
5 plus plates probably if I was home, but going to be 2 plates since I am doing all the cooking and prepping the watermelon refresco

Londa said:

XD

I can't remember the last time I had watermelon or ribs or any drink that isn't juice. And all the chicken I eat is grilled. I can't remember the last time I ate fried chicken.

Any Africanadians here? what did you guys do on Canada day?

lol, if you make it out to jersey city you can. My sister and I will be adding Ghanaian flair to the bbq so jollof with the chicken and pork. anyone have favorite bbq sauces and rubs or go homemade with regards to that point.

LowerLevel said:
New to the forum somewhat. Have been reading it since Sega Ages and have finally tried to get an account. Wanted this thread to be my first post but Forza 4's beat it out. But, in my defense, I found this one immediately to post on

- Quincy, MA 35 years old and gaming since the Odyssey and 2600 way back... Some college but those were obtained while in the Navy. Unlike the rest of you, I do prefer 360 over Ps3 but I do own a launch Ps3 as I am weak when it comes to new systems. I also refuse to give it up because I NEED my BC and my Ps2 jrpg's!

At any rate, I hope to have some civilized discussions with my "peoples" in the future.

Welcome my fellow black x-bot.

Make sure you join the Forza 4 gaf club when it comes out in October, so you can get yourself some free Boondocks and Afro Samurai liveries I made.

YoungHav said:
In all seriousness I am confused by my last name. My family is from Haiti (which had slavery) but my last name is not French. I still have an African last name, I have no idea how my African ancestors came to a slave island and kept their names. I traced my roots back to the mid 1800s for a family tree project and we were in Haiti then.

I didn't know you were Haitian. Or at least I forgot...

Also, you're the third Haitian that I've heard of without a French last name. Pretty cool.

You would probably have to go more back to see where your family comes from exactly. I mean we did declare independence 1804.

Oh, hey BlackGAF. Haven't been here in awhile. Not sure why I avoided the thread. July 4th is going to be crazy. Cannot wait for some good home cooking...

Londa

Banned
lightless_shado said:
I can't remember the last time I had watermelon or ribs or any drink that isn't juice. And all the chicken I eat is grilled. I can't remember the last time I ate fried chicken.

I said chicken, not fried chicken. There is usually fried chicken but when I go to cookouts there is more jerk chicken and BBQ chicken than there is fried chicken. Basically when I say chicken, it means any type of chicken.

Ah, that reminds me, I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, so I apologize in advance. Does 4th of July celebrations get crazy around where you guys live? I mean crazy as in bad. I was wondering considering we all live in some rather diverse neighborhoods.

Londa said:
I said chicken, not fried chicken. There is usually fried chicken but when I go to cookouts there is more jerk chicken and BBQ chicken than there is fried chicken. Basically when I say chicken, it means any type of chicken.

I can't even remember the last time I actually even went to a BBQ to be honest. I must be the most boring person ITT.

Urban Scholar said:
Ah, that reminds me, I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, so I apologize in advance. Does 4th of July celebrations get crazy around where you guys live? I mean crazy as in bad. I was wondering considering we all live in some rather diverse neighborhoods.
Two 4th of July's ago:

- Someone was stabbed in my area.
- Someone was hit with a lit firecracker in my area.

And that's just about it, or at least that's all I've heard/remembered.

That bro fist is dope as heck Equus.

When I stayed in N.O. when I was little, one 4th we were all outside and all of a sudden we saw this old guy just start shooting in the air. It was crazy.

- Where you're from Lancaster,SC
- Where you live Lancaster,SC
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy West Africa
- Do you know your roots? no
- Your Age 16
- Favorite musical genre hip hop
- Your profession/major/career interest psychology
- Your religious affiliation Baptist
- Hobbies Gaming,Reading,playing soccer.

Hey whats up guys. Just wanted to check in.

Jadedx

Banned
- Where you're from Portland, Jamaica.
- Where you live South Florida.
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy Jamaican.
- Your Age 24
- Favorite musical genre Reggae/Dancehall
- Your profession/major/career interest Computer Science
- Your religious affiliation Non denominational Christian.
- Hobbies Gaming, TV, Technology.

YoungHav

Banned
spindashing said:
I didn't know you were Haitian. Or at least I forgot...

Also, you're the third Haitian that I've heard of without a French last name. Pretty cool.

You would probably have to go more back to see where your family comes from exactly. I mean we did declare independence 1804.

Oh, hey BlackGAF. Haven't been here in awhile. Not sure why I avoided the thread. July 4th is going to be crazy. Cannot wait for some good home cooking...
I.E.T.!!! Yup, would have to go back 1-2 more generations further. Well I am hoping my ancestors strangled their masters to death while yelling Moon bluh pa kon bon dieu! This is the fantasy I have in my head.

YoungHav said:
I.E.T.!!! Yup, would have to go back 1-2 more generations further. Well I am hoping my ancestors strangled their masters to death while yelling Moon bluh pa kon bon dieu! This is the fantasy I have in my head.

I hope my Haitian ancestors did the same in the name of freedom.

Londa

Banned
Urban Scholar said:

Yeah, its DC after all. STAY FAR AWAY FROM THE METRO and the mall!

Welcome to the new members.

Equus Bellator Apex said:
http://i.imgur.com/EHacf.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
NICE! How do you plan to do the colors? Think you and Londa could work it into one design?

A Summer Jam that I still love:
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q9xB8USgd4[/url]

RedSwirl

Urban Scholar said:

I live around DC so no not really. We're like 30 mins away from the DC fireworks display which we usually catch from the Pentagon parking lot. One of my close friends is lucky enough to have her room perfectly positioned for a nice view of the display.

Honestly though, I prefer going down to my mom's hometown in Arkansas for the 4th. Down there the law doesn't give a shit how many fireworks you blow up in your own lawn. I mean, up here we get the occasional family lighting up a few in a neighborhood street, but down there I get the chance to light up literally $5000 worth of fireworks on a front lawn.

I still remember that one year I taped 25 bottle rockets together and had it lit up on the ground. The sight of my cousins running away from it is one of my fondest July 4th memories.

ikkemenx

lightless_shado said:

Africanadian here! I went to check out the fireworks last night, spent most of the day playing N64. Good times.

I also got a GAF circle goin' on Google+, if anyone wants to be friends, pm me?

Veal

RedSwirl said:
Honestly though, I prefer going down to my mom's hometown in Arkansas for the 4th. Down there the law doesn't give a shit how many fireworks you blow up in your own lawn. I mean, up here we get the occasional family lighting up a few in a neighborhood street, but down there I get the chance to light up literally $5000 worth of fireworks on a front lawn.

I still remember that one year I taped 25 bottle rockets together and had it lit up on the ground. The sight of my cousins running away from it is one of my fondest July 4th memories.
You're so right about Arkansas not giving a fuck about fireworks. Especially if you live in rural area. We could've set off a WMD and people would've said "Now that's purty!"

What up BlackGaf. Definitely gotta check into this thread. Long time lurker here.

I have to say, not knowing my 'true' last name doesn't bother me. What really kinds makes me think on occasion is not knowing what my 'lost' religion would have been.

As a kid I always tried to ask my mom why does she believe in Christianity if it was something 'forced' on our people.

Never did get a straight answer. Just a "Shaddap and go to Church!!"...

ikkemenx

spindashing said:
I'd like to know that too.

There's an invite thread in OFF-TOPIC, and though the site closes up often even for people with invites, I've noticed it starts opening up for an hour or so in the early morning (5-6) so invites will work, or if you're lucky, it will just let you sign in with your gmail and set you up.

Nikashi

Banned
Question from a white boy Canadian:

How come all y'all don't just move up here? And don't go saying because it's too cold, I'm sitting here in nice 22c heat beside a fan because I'm sweating my ass off. We could use some more colour up here, anyways, our colour gradient stops at like, light brown.

(From the west coast here, I know that Toronto does have a larger than usual black dude population, but the only black dudes I see around here are like, first gen or FOB ethiopian or somalian dudes who get offended if they are referred to as black)

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Nikashi said:

How come all y'all don't just move up here? And don't go saying because it's too cold, I'm sitting here in nice 22c heat beside a fan because I'm sweating my ass off. We could use some more colour up here, anyways, our colour gradient stops at like, light brown.

(From the west coast here, I know that Toronto does have a larger than usual black dude population, but the only black dudes I see around here are like, first gen or FOB ethiopian or somalian dudes who get offended if they are referred to as black)

why would i want to move to canada?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Nikashi said:

I've been considering it

Parallax said:
why would i want to move to canada?

We've got pretty decent healthcare, and in BC we've got a lot of wildlife.

Those are the only reasons I can think of at the moment to be honest. I live in BC right now and I'd rather move to Toronto, he's right when he says there aren't enough black people in BC(at least not in the huge metropolitan areas like vancouver)

Also I'll never understand why some Africans get mad when referred to as black. I was born in Africa and lived there for some years. I still know my native language and I'm still very much in touch with my culture but I don't really mind if anyone calls me black I mean that is what I am.

Nikashi said:

I considered this if McCain got a elected since Sarah Palin would be to close to presidency.

Eh, I'll look into that Google+ shit later!

As far as Canada goes, I have family in Montreal. It's beautiful up there
and there's beautiful girls there too
. I once said that I would love to live there in the future, but I'd probably have to learn French since French and English are spoken there.

Nikashi said:

Canada is my #1 country to move to if shit ever goes down in the states. I vistited Ontario years ago and it was beautiful, I would like to go again.

spindashing said:
Eh, I'll look into that Google+ shit later!

As far as Canada goes, I have family in Montreal. It's beautiful up there
and there's beautiful girls there too
. I once said that I would love to live there in the future, but I'd probably have to learn French since French and English are spoken there.
Aren't you Haitian? I would assume learning French shouldn't be that difficult if you know Creole.

Top Bottom