• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

ikkemenx said:
Realtalk. I find it fun that all my little cousins are getting into DBZ Kai now, gives us something to bond over and I get to share the wealth of knowledge I have acquired and solidified over my formative years. It makes them look up to me, much like they would a god. "DRAW ME VEGETA SUPER SAIYAN" lolol
Haha, my nephew used to be like that during DBZ's initial run on Toonami. He used to emulate Goku doing spirit bombs while play fighting with me and he went crazy when we played Budokai 2. He broke a few of my own DBZ action figures I bought as a kid and kept on display in my room, though. Feels bad, man. =(

For those who didn't watch/like DBZ, tell me you at least liked Yuu Yuu Hakusho...

LowerLevel

spindashing said:
Haha, my nephew used to be like that during DBZ's initial run on Toonami. He used to emulate Goku doing spirit bombs while play fighting with me and he went crazy when we played Budokai 2. He broke a few of my own DBZ action figures I bought as a kid and kept on display in my room, though. Feels bad, man. =(

For those who didn't watch/like DBZ, tell me you at least liked Yuu Yuu Hakusho...

Man, I used to watch so many bad Anime, especially while I was in the Navy, I can't even remember which ones. But, yes I believe Yuu Yuu was on that list.

ikkemenx said:
DON'T GIVE UP MAN NEW KENSHIN ANIME JINCHUU ARC IS ON ITS WAY

I did grow out of Naruto around the time I got to junior high, but just recently I was playing Clash of Ninja 2 and it made me nostalgic as fuck. Downloaded some episodes and
cried myself to sleep
had a great time.

you were watching naruto in elementary school?

fuck I feel old. I started watching and reading it in 9th grade. I was actually losing interest until the black ninjas showed up.

LowerLevel

lightless_shado said:

fuck I feel old. I started watching and reading it in 9th grade. I was actually losing interest until the black ninjas showed up.

9th? If you feel old, I am decrepit!

LowerLevel said:
Man, I used to watch so many bad Anime, especially while I was in the Navy, I can't even remember which ones. But, yes I believe Yuu Yuu was on that list.
Yuu Yuu was not bad. We are enemies, good sir. Enemies. =(

Also, I was in highschool when I started with Naruto. I think 9th or 10th grade. DBZ was elementary school.

Londa

Banned
spindashing said:

Nope, I watched a few times and didn't like it. Sorry.

LowerLevel

spindashing said:

Also, I was in highschool when I started with Naruto. I think 9th or 10th grade. DBZ was elementary school.

Aww. I never said it was bad, just watch alot of anime including bad ones. Like for instance I forced Haklong to watch Panzer Dragoon anime dubbed in english... the absolute FUNNIEST thing next to Shadow Hearts: Covenant ever! I think we broke his VCR rewinding it so much!

BTW, for you youngin's, a VCR was an older video device that used large things called "Tapes" or "Cassettes" and took forever to rewind.

Londa

Banned
spindashing said:
Not big on shounen series? What are the anime/manga series that you guys prefer?

I remember Berserk and Ranma 1/2 being mentioned a few posts ago. Both great series, actually.

I remember Big O, FLCL, and Cowboy Bebob being the ones I enjoyed

LowerLevel said:
BTW, for you youngin's, a VCR was an older video device that used large things called "Tapes" or "Cassettes" and took forever to rewind.
What is this sorcery that you speak of?

Londa said:
I remember Big O, FLCL, and Cowboy Bebob being the ones I enjoyed
Bebop is a classic, and even non-anime fans love Bebop. FLCL was a bit ... eccentric for me? Lol. I'm not big on mecha, so Big O doesn't tickle my fancy.

LowerLevel

spindashing said:
Not big on shounen series? What are the anime/manga series that you guys prefer?

I remember Berserk and Ranma 1/2 being mentioned a few posts ago. Both great series, actually.

Good lord man, I couldn't even tell you. Like jRPG's, I fell out with anime shortly after I got out of the Navy. Probably when I started playing EQ and Dreamcast. I watched it periodically but not religiously like I had before. Even obscure robot ones that made no sense. But to be honest, Robotech got me started early. That and StarBlazers. But, yeah, I used to LOVE Ranma when I was younger. So much so I used to get upset poor Mousse couldn't get Shampoo!

Now I have to go back into a list and relive my youth, Thanks...

Oh, and Justice League is/was a better series than what I watched of Naruto, Kenshin and even Samurai Champloo.

Was all over DBZ as a kid...even bought the japanese movies off of ebay when the internet was first starting up. Watched a bit of Hakusho as well. Wolfs Rain, Bebop, Blue Gender, Gundams...

awesome memories

ikkemenx

lightless_shado said:

DoomXploder7 said:
I think narutomania started around grade 7/8 for me.

I only read Naruto in elementary. This was long before the dub came to North America and kids started getting into it. I couldn't watch it because this was forever ago and I did not have a comp that could play videos, so I just read scanlations online. Eventually (2003, so like grade 5 for me) Shonen Jump started publishing the English Naruto manga and 2 years later the dub finally arrived in NA. I stopped reading it it in the years that followed (used to read the newest chapter that came out every Friday, until shit got ridiculous).

I used to love DBZ when I was younger but I don't think I was ever super into it. I did enjoy this game on ps2 though.
ODceM.jpg

lordmrw

spindashing said:

Was already a few years into college around the time Naruto started. I have such a long history with DBZ. I remember watching the Ocean dub in 1996 and wondering what the hell happened when it would abruptly start over again. Like most I continued to watch the repeats on Cartoon Network but at the same time there was a shop near me that had fandub tapes for rent. I watched the majority of the Cell Saga on those beaten up tapes as well as most of the movies since it looked as though no one would bother picking up the license again.

lol i'm 18 . I remember being into dbz, yu yu hakasho, kenshin , g gundam, during elementary. never really watched the adult swim stuff cause i used to actually go to sleep early back then and junior high.

Dark FaZe said:
Was all over DBZ as a kid...even bought the japanese movies off of ebay when the internet was first starting up. Watched a bit of Hakusho as well. Wolfs Rain, Bebop, Blue Gender, Gundams...

awesome memories
Blue Gender was the most disturbing anime I'd ever seen at that point, even though it's pretty tame as a whole. Something about giant buglike creatures mercilessly devouring women and children (and cute guys)... left me in a bad way.

Wolf's Rain, on the other hand, is the anime that solidified my love for Yoko Kanno. Her Cowboy Bebop work is undeniably more famous, but I think her music in WR is the best she's ever done.

I love Yoko Kanno.

Imm0rt4l

Dabanton said:
I was listening to this last night and was amazed how innocent it was. Even the beat feels more gentle.

Tevin Campbell - Can We Talk?

There was such a contrast between Soul R&B and Hop Hop / rap then, before they became pretty much interchangeable.

I mean this was as far as away from soul and R&B as possible in tone and look.

Das EFX - They Want EFX
Can we talk is my shit, seems that the dude fell off the face of the earth after he came out the closet. That song is a classic.

Ezenzer said:
Blue Gender was the most disturbing anime I'd ever seen at that point, even though it's pretty tame as a whole. Something about giant buglike creatures mercilessly devouring women and children (and cute guys)... left me in a bad way.

Wolf's Rain, on the other hand, is the anime that solidified my love for Yoko Kanno. Her Cowboy Bebop work is undeniably more famous, but I think her music in WR is the best she's ever done.

I love Yoko Kanno.

Ditto. I really captivated by the music in Macross Plus when I first watched it. That was my introduction to her work.

Holy shit I hated that Toonami fucking skipped all of the fucking cell games.Every time the cell games were gonna start they'd skip it and go to the buu saga and show a recap of SSJ2 Gohan destroying cell and i'm like WTF!? The only way i saw the cell games were through shitty amvs on the internet.

ikkemenx

mysticwhip said:
Holy shit I hated that Toonami fucking skipped all of the fucking cell games.Every time the cell games were gonna start they'd skip it and go to the buu saga and show a recap of SSJ2 Gohan destroying cell and i'm like WTF!? The only way i saw the cell games were through shitty amvs on the internet.

I hated when they did the opposite, finish cell saga or androids saga then go ALL THE WAY BACK TO FUCKING NAMEK GOD

Kaizer

Banned
eternaLightness said:
I used to love DBZ when I was younger but I don't think I was ever super into it. I did enjoy this game on ps2 though.
ODceM.jpg
My god I remember being obsessed with getting this game when I was a kid to the point of hysteria. I bugged the hell out of my parents for it anytime we went by a store that sold video games. I'll never forget walking in Media Play one day and they had a demo station for Budokai, there was a big ass line of kids waiting for a turn to play it. I remember attempting to cut in line and getting into an argument over Goku vs. Cell, ahh good times.

I'm 19 now, so Toonami was basically my childhood. Everything from Kenshin, YuYu Hakusho, Tenchi, Gundam, Cyborg 009, DBZ, Big O, etc. were my start into anime. I remember when Naruto premiered on TV I almost had a heart attack of excitement as I'd been reading it for the past few months. Speaking of Toonami, anyone hear ever watched Toonami Aftermath? It's a pretty cool mix of shows that they play.

It...was my first anime.

I HAVE AN EXCUSE. I woke up in the mornings in Kindergarten and it was the first show I'd see, before Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog!

Sailor Jupiter was my girl...

ikkemenx

Kaizer said:
My god I remember being obsessed with getting this game when I was a kid to the point of hysteria. I bugged the hell out of my parents for it anytime we went by a store that sold video games. I'll never forget walking in Media Play one day and they had a demo station for Budokai, there was a big ass line of kids waiting for a turn to play it. I remember attempting to cut in line and getting into an argument over Goku vs. Cell, ahh good times.

I'm 19 now, so Toonami was basically my childhood. Everything from Kenshin, YuYu Hakusho, Tenchi, Gundam, Cyborg 009, DBZ, Big O, etc. were my start into anime. I remember when Naruto premiered on TV I almost had a heart attack of excitement as I'd been reading it for the past few months. Speaking of Toonami, anyone hear ever watched Toonami Aftermath? It's a pretty cool mix of shows that they play.

HOLY SHIT @ THAT LINEUP

ReiGun

spindashing said:

It...was my first anime.

I HAVE AN EXCUSE. I woke up in the mornings in Kindergarten and it was the first show I'd see, before Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog!

Sailor Jupiter was my girl...
Then you're just like me! Except that Jupiter bullshit in the spoiler. Mars/Outer Scouts or GTFO.

Kaizer

Banned
Sailor Moon was dat show back in the day. Watched it and hummed along to the theme song, no shame. Always thought Tuxedo Mask was retarded.

ikkemenx

Dreams-Visions said:
NAH SON

I used to watch Jem on occasion. I have no room to talk at all. :-(

GLAMOUR AND GLITTER, FASHION AND FAME!

And Sailor Moon forever. Srsly. Until the end of time.

Wow, lots of DBZ fans in here, I remember how hard it was to even get a tape of DBZ in Ghana. So just getting 5 eps on a videotape was a miracle. Of course this also meant we had to watch Goku charge his punch over the whole tape. though coming for college did let me finally watch DBZ in a sequential manner.

However, personally and in my family, Samurai Jack and Samurai X are king, gettin some semblance of storytelling went a long way

ikkemenx

zero_suit said:
LOL, after he threw that rose and made his entrance, he always tried to make some profound statement.

Because Sailor Moon was something I started watching at age 3, possibly earlier, my earliest memories involve it. I honestly think that Darien/Tuxedo Mask/Kamen/Mamoru/Endymion somehow established himself as the blueprint for the ideal male in my eyes. Looking back at most of my crushes/relationships/flings, they often involved tall, dark-haired guys who were very gentlemanly/providing. I know early Darien picked on Serena but I mean later on when he just slaves after her the rest of the series.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Sailor Moon? Y'all buncha kids.

As a youth I watched Robotech, Voltron, and Tranzor Z on a station that I remember coming in all fuzzy. I'd have arguments in school about which Voltron was better, cars or lions. The debate would be mad heated.

... Jem is truly outrageous.

Loved DBZ, and watched plenty of Sailor Moon. But there is only one series where I watched every. single. episode and never missed it as a kid.

closeup.jpg

All about the Darkwing Duck baby.

Ah Sailor Moon it helped me realize a few things. One being, I can handle magical girl animes provided there's enough violence in it! Moonlight Knight > Tuxedo Mask. Yeah I said it and I mean it.

J@hranimo

Banned
ReiGun said:
Speaking of Toonami

sailor+mooon.jpg

Don't try to front like you ain't watch it. lol

Holy crap....the one time I decide to check out the BlackGAF thread, I see Sailor Moon.

I watched it as well BUT that's because during the early days of Toonami I used to watch Reboot at 4pm and then DBZ wouldn't come on until 5pm. So it kinda filled my time in between. Something about Sailor Moon man...

Londa

Banned
My obession with blue started with Sailor Mercury. Then I thought it was edgy and cool to be into blue because blue equals depressed and moody in a teens mind. Now I just love blue because it looks good on me and it reminds me of the sky on a nice day. :p

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
J@hranimo said:
Holy crap....the one time I decide to check out the BlackGAF thread, I see Sailor Moon.

I watched it as well BUT that's because during the early days of Toonami I used to watch Reboot at 4pm and then DBZ wouldn't come on until 5pm. So it kinda filled my time in between. Something about Sailor Moon man...

For a growing teenage boy? We all knew what it was

Top Bottom