• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

ChocolateCupcakes said:
Aren't you Haitian? I would assume learning French shouldn't be that difficult if you know Creole.
Yeah, I am. And I took French for a few years in high school. It shouldn't be so hard now that I think about it. The thing is that I don't speak Creole. I understand it and could reply in English but I can't string together a sentence in Creole.

Speaking of French, I'd like to visit France one day. My mother's been wanting to go to Paris for the longest time too, actually. It would be a nice change of pace and see things I haven't seen before.

Londa

Banned
Nikashi said:
Question from a white boy Canadian:

How come all y'all don't just move up here? And don't go saying because it's too cold, I'm sitting here in nice 22c heat beside a fan because I'm sweating my ass off. We could use some more colour up here, anyways, our colour gradient stops at like, light brown.

(From the west coast here, I know that Toronto does have a larger than usual black dude population, but the only black dudes I see around here are like, first gen or FOB ethiopian or somalian dudes who get offended if they are referred to as black)

I wouldn't mind moving to NYC from MD but not Canadian. Too cold, and too un-city-like for my taste. I have to have things close by or I'll feel super strange. However this is the east coast. I have no idea how it is over in the west. I'm sure its also crazy. I kind of wanna visit Washington state one day. It seems cool.

Londa said:
I wouldn't mind moving to NYC from MD but not Canadian. Too cold, and too un-city-like for my taste. I have to have things close by or I'll feel super strange. However this is the east coast. I have no idea how it is over in the west. I'm sure its also crazy. I kind of wanna visit Washington state one day. It seems cool.
Toronto is great. And Caribana...

Now that's cause for a road trip.

Edit: somehow I typed Seattle instead of Toronto.

I wanna visit Canada. see what it's like there. Lately I've been thinking of going out to California where my bro stays. I've never been and would like to see what it's like out on the West Coast.

Londa said:

I would describe Canadian cities as having all the trappings of any other big american city, but with smaller crowds.

And It can get pretty hot over here too. In BC it got pretty hot last year.

ikkemenx

Nikashi said:

How come all y'all don't just move up here? And don't go saying because it's too cold, I'm sitting here in nice 22c heat beside a fan because I'm sweating my ass off. We could use some more colour up here, anyways, our colour gradient stops at like, light brown.

(From the west coast here, I know that Toronto does have a larger than usual black dude population, but the only black dudes I see around here are like, first gen or FOB ethiopian or somalian dudes who get offended if they are referred to as black)

LOL @ Somalis/Ethiopians not liking to be referred to as black. I've met people like this. They often refer to Africans of other nations to be "black" as if it differentiated them from us. It doesn't bother me as not only is it obvious that I'm black, it's something I'm proud of. I'm Somali and I still embrace our unique appearance (I'm sometimes mistaken to be mixed, Indian when I wear my hair straight, or from the Middle East).

And yeah Toronto <3 I'm in Alberta atm but I grew up in Ottawa/Toronto (first arrived in Toronto as an immigrant) and I can definitely say the difference is huge between Toronto and West Coast cities like Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver. I long to go back east, not because there are more black people but because I just prefer the people there in general and Toronto is just a damn fun place to live in.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
lightless_shado said:
We've got pretty decent healthcare, and in BC we've got a lot of wildlife.

Those are the only reasons I can think of at the moment to be honest. I live in BC right now and I'd rather move to Toronto, he's right when he says there aren't enough black people in BC(at least not in the huge metropolitan areas like vancouver)

Also I'll never understand why some Africans get mad when referred to as black. I was born in Africa and lived there for some years. I still know my native language and I'm still very much in touch with my culture but I don't really mind if anyone calls me black I mean that is what I am.
So BC is like the pacific northwest was a few years ago? I would be down for that. Its a shame what uesless development did to the city of keizer. Coming from la, groves of trees as far as the eye could see was a willing change of pace

Lebron

Nikashi said:

Ah those types. They always bring the laughs.

Parallax said:
So BC is like the pacific northwest was a few years ago? I would be down for that. Its a shame what uesless development did to the city of keizer. Coming from la, groves of trees as far as the eye could see was a willing change of pace

I'd say so. If you're interested in seeing trees and wildlife then you'll enjoy northern BC. In the city I'm in there's a huge hill surrounded by forest and sometimes you'll see moose, deers and bears. In fact the university is surrounded by a pretty big forest and one time two moose cows were hanging around the bus loop and it kind of caused a bit of a disruption lol. Sometimes we get forest fires though, so smoke comes down and it's a pain in the ass to get outside.

ikkemenx said:
LOL @ Somalis/Ethiopians not liking to be referred to as black. I've met people like this. They often refer to Africans of other nations to be "black" as if it differentiated them from us. It doesn't bother me as not only is it obvious that I'm black, it's something I'm proud of. I'm Somali and I still embrace our unique appearance (I'm sometimes mistaken to be mixed, Indian when I wear my hair straight, or from the Middle East).

And yeah Toronto <3 I'm in Alberta atm but I grew up in Ottawa/Toronto (first arrived in Toronto as an immigrant) and I can definitely say the difference is huge between Toronto and West Coast cities like Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver. I long to go back east, not because there are more black people but because I just prefer the people there in general and Toronto is just a damn fun place to live in.

*fist bump* I've talked with some somali and ethiopian posters on here and they're still surprised that there are people that don't consider them black.

I also used to live in Alberta a while back and now I'm in BC, apparently now there are a lot more Ethiopian and even some Filipinos that are starting to move there. Can you confirm this? I've lived in Canada most of my life and I still haven't been past Alberta. I really need to go on vacation.

ikkemenx

lightless_shado said:
I'd say so. If you're interested in seeing trees and wildlife then you'll enjoy northern BC. In the city I'm in there's a huge hill surrounded by forest and sometimes you'll see moose, deers and bears. In fact the university is surrounded by a pretty big forest and one time two moose cows were hanging around the bus loop and it kind of caused a bit of a disruption lol. Sometimes we get forest fires though, so smoke comes down and it's a pain in the ass to get outside.

*fist bump* I've talked with some somali and ethiopian posters on here and they're still surprised that there are people that don't consider them black.

I also used to live in Alberta a while back and now I'm in BC, apparently now there are a lot more Ethiopian and even some Filipinos that are starting to move there. Can you confirm this? I've lived in Canada most of my life and I still haven't been past Alberta. I really need to go on vacation.

Don't see many Ethiopians (I would say there are less Ethiopians than Somalis) but my God are there ever a lot of Filipinos. I means TONS. Didn't see too many in Ontario (Filipinos that is) and especially not in Ottawa; there were like no azns in Ottawa at all, except for downtown area.

ikkemenx said:
Don't see many Ethiopians (I would say there are less Ethiopians than Somalis) but my God are there ever a lot of Filipinos. I means TONS. Didn't see too many in Ontario (Filipinos that is) and especially not in Ottawa; there were like no azns in Ottawa at all, except for downtown area.

Interesting. I spoke with someone who had been there recently and I was told that there are more immigrants coming in from Africa and Asia and some of them are marrying and having blasian kids. When I lived in Edmonton I don't really remember seeing a good deal of diversity. We had some Koreans, Chinese and Ghanians and Nigerians around the areas I lived in but I wouldn't say there were a lot of one group in particular. Would you say there's a large number of Africans living in Ottawa? I'm not that surprised at the lack of Asians on the east coast but I'm guessing that there would be African and Carribean people living in Ottawa

ikkemenx

lightless_shado said:
Interesting. I spoke with someone who had been there recently and I was told that there are more immigrants coming in from Africa and Asia and some of them are marrying and having blasian kids. When I lived in Edmonton I don't really remember seeing a good deal of diversity. We had some Koreans, Chinese and Ghanians and Nigerians around the areas I lived in but I wouldn't say there were a lot of one group in particular. Would you say there's a large number of Africans living in Ottawa? I'm not that surprised at the lack of Asians on the east coast but I'm guessing that there would be African and Carribean people living in Ottawa

Sometimes when I'm in Edmonton I feel like there are more Asian people than white people. I've noticed more black people here lately too, though you probably understand that within the last 5 years or so a TON of people have been moving here because of the economic boom. It also depends on where I am, for example I take public transit and go to a lot of malls and such so it seems quite diverse in these areas.

In Ottawa there were a lot of African/Caribbean people, I mean not tons but definitely a lot compared to Edmonton. Because I was in the French schooling system (we had 3 school boards, regular, Catholic and French) I went to school with a TON of Haitian people and lots of Congolese people. Due to Ottawa's proximity to Quebec (the bridge downtown goes right into Hull, Quebec) and big francophone community (for example, certain neighbourhoods contained mostly french-speaking people) I imagine this draws a lot of francophone Africans.

LowerLevel

Apologies was away to Bronx for a day and I thank you all for the warm welcomes!

I do game online somewhat on my Ps3 but it's only been Warhawk and Killzone 2 and the latter is long gone now. I do want to try M.A.G. so that may get tried soon. I don't like Demon's Souls online since one time I was in kind of a hurry and some fool jumped in my game when I wanted to go back to the Nexus and save so I now only play that offline.

I am the opposite of Air however as Sony has burned me a LOT more than MS ever has. But I am a sucker and will keep buying PS' when they come out. Except the new hand held...

Once again, thanks for the welcome and feel free to add me on all three

Live - Low3rL3vel
PSN - Majestyk57
Steam - Majestyk57 (or LowerLevel... can't remember)

Canada is awesome.

I'm Haitian, and I've got fam and friends in Montreal and Ottawa.
Fine-ass women, French language, good nightlife and good food. Coming from NYC, even winter isn't shit to me. Canada, you're alright with me.

captmcblack said:
Canada is awesome.

Fine-ass women, French language, good nightlife and good food. Coming from NYC, even winter isn't shit to me. Canada, you're alright with me.

Stop with your alluring words. I have family there as well but I still can't brave the cold.

LowerLevel

captmcblack said:
Canada is awesome.

Man, you aren't kidding! My wife's cousin was in NY from Toronto. Nice, dark skin with Knotty dreads. Mad pretty! Even had one of my favorite names, Camille.

ikkemenx

captmcblack said:
Canada is awesome.

Damn rights! I'll be heading to Ottawa in a week or so to visit my friends, will probably stop by MTL to do some shopping and visit other people. I can't wait!

captmcblack said:
Canada is awesome.
Hmm....how's the IT industry in Canada? lol

ikkemenx said:

Really? Here in the burbs (GTA area), I find that there's a TON of Filipinos. And Toronto/MTL night life is the BEST. More US heads need to check it out.

Happy 4th of July guys! I'm heading to work and going to be back home in the evening and I'll be celebrating this US day of independence watching whacky Japanese super hero shows. Have fun and stay safe everyone.

captmcblack said:
Canada is awesome.

preach that shit.

Fist time I went I thought I was at a Afro-Caribbean modeling convention.

Fuck the noise. Canada is beautiful.

I would attend a family cook out but the family that's holding the cookout are on my dad's side. Full of snakes and twofaced people who I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire.

I'll just help my mom out with some food.

Londa

Banned
Urban Scholar said:
Happy 4th of July guys! I'm heading to work and going to be back home in the evening and I'll be celebrating this US day of independence watching whacky Japanese super hero shows. Have fun and stay safe everyone.

It sucks that you have to work today.

Londa said:
It sucks that you have to work today.

True, but we close early today. Also I doubt much folks are going to come by seeing as I work somewhere that isn't Walmart. Seriously one of the few times I see that parking lot filled to the max.

Londa

Banned
Urban Scholar said:
True, but we close early today. Also I doubt much folks are going to come by seeing as I work somewhere that isn't Walmart. Seriously one of the few times I see that parking lot filled to the max.

haha would sucks if a female that goes by the name "Londa" walked in and pretended to have a question about every game in the store.

"what is 3DS?" "why do I need three different consoles to play any game in the store?"

:p

Londa said:
haha would sucks if a female that goes by the name "Londa" walked in and pretended to have a question about every game in the store.

"what is 3DS?" "why do I need three different consoles to play any game in the store?"

:p
It would be welcomed fun =p

Nikashi said:

Your cellphone and internet plans suck, that's my only reason!

We still talking about Canada? Canada's all good
fuck Canada
. NYC is king. Come to NYC. I'll be your best friend and show you the best corner store ever.

spindashing said:
fuck Canada
. NYC is king. Come to NYC. I'll be your best friend and show you the best corner store ever.

I'll give you a pass because it's the 4th of July.

ikkemenx

spindashing said:
fuck Canada

It's tempting. I've always dreamed of going to NYC.

lightless_shado said:
I'll give you a pass because it's the 4th of July.
:trollface

ikkemenx said:
It's tempting. I've always dreamed of going to NYC.
You've never been here? You're missing out!

By the way, it's been itching at me for a while but is that Frieza in your avatar? :lol

I really need to seriously visit NYC one of these days, i've only been to it passing through on connecting flights on my way back home from a trip to Canada.

spindashing said:
:trollface

You've never been here? You're missing out!

By the way, it's been itching at me for a while but is that Frieza in your avatar? :lol

I'm pretty sure it is. I remember reading a thread by a poster here who said that he worked in retail and every black person that showed up to the store was always interested in DBZ stuff.

I grew up on and still love dragon ball

DoomXploder7 said:
I really need to seriously visit NYC one of these days, i've only been to it passing through on connecting flights on my way back home from a trip to Canada.
Whatever you do, just visit Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx or Manhattan (the best, though the priciest).

Honestly, if you just want to sightsee, stick with Manhattan.

Never. EVER. Go to Staten Island. Never... Just don't do it.

@lightless, DBZ is the shit. When Goku went SSJ for the first time? Oh man...

ikkemenx

spindashing said:
Whatever you do, just visit Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx or Manhattan (the best, though the priciest).

Honestly, if you just want to sightsee, stick with Manhattan.

Never. EVER. Go to Staten Island. Never... Just don't do it.

@lightless, DBZ is the shit. When Goku went SSJ for the first time? Oh man...

I was just watching that one the other day! And it's absolutely true, we love us some DBZ.

And nope, spent most of my life in Ottawa and Toronto which are just a drive away but never got the chance, and now I live all the way out west...

It's Frieza in my avatar, yeah, haha. Like 5 people in the Post Your Pic thread asked me that yesterday. I have a Trunks poster in my bedroom and Trunks facecloth in my bathroom (I got it from Japan).

Just try beating me at Budokai/Burst Limit...I dare you.

ikkemenx said:
I was just watching that one the other day! And it's absolutely true, we love us some DBZ.

And nope, spent most of my life in Ottawa and Toronto which are just a drive away but never got the chance, and now I live all the way out west...

It's Frieza in my avatar, yeah, haha. Like 5 people in the Post Your Pic thread asked me that yesterday. I have a Trunks poster in my bedroom and Trunks facecloth in my bathroom (I got it from Japan).

I can't talk. Outside of NYC, I've mainly stuck to the east of the US and Haiti. I'd love to see other states and countries; God willing I'll travel more in the upcoming years.

Girls always go crazy for Trunks. Any time I speak to a girl and she likes DBZ, it's a given that she goes crazy for Tr--what's this about Budokai/Burst Limit?

Now you're going to have to come to NYC for real. =P I'm not big on Burst Limit but Budokai 3 was my game. Meet me somewhere!

ikkemenx said:

When ultimate Tenkaichi drops, prepare to be kamehameha'd into space.

I've been a DB fan(except GT. Fuck that shit) for a while and I too have noticed that for many black people that's their first experience with anime. I think that the makers of the budokai games realized this and paid homage to the black goku/vegeta DBZ fansites when they chose to make a black gogeta alternate costume.

ikkemenx

spindashing said:
I can't talk. Outside of NYC, I've mainly stuck to the east of the US and Haiti. I'd love to see other states and countries; God willing I'll travel more in the upcoming years.

Girls always go crazy for Trunks. Any time I speak to a girl and she likes DBZ, it's a given that she goes crazy for Tr--what's this about Budokai/Burst Limit?

Now you're going to have to come to NYC for real. =P I'm not big on Burst Limit but Budokai 3 was my game. Meet me somewhere!

Yeah, Trunks was my very first crush, haha, used to draw him all the time in elementary school. My hero from the future...sigh <3

Budokai 3 is the definitive shit, probably my favourite DBZ fighting game. Best controls and the music is so damn good.

lightless_shado said:
When ultimate Tenkaichi drops, prepare to be kamehameha'd into space.

Come at me bro.

If I remember correctly, there's actually a NeoGAF user with the handle DaBlackGoku or something like that. I always found that cool, lol.

I was never big on the Tenkaichi series though. The Budokai series felt more like actual fighting games.

ikkemenx

spindashing said:
If I remember correctly, there's actually a NeoGAF user with the handle DaBlackGoku or something like that. I always found that cool, lol.

I was never big on the Tenkaichi series though. The Budokai series felt more like actual fighting games.

Realtalk. I find it fun that all my little cousins are getting into DBZ Kai now, gives us something to bond over and I get to share the wealth of knowledge I have acquired and solidified over my formative years. It makes them look up to me, much like they would a god. "DRAW ME VEGETA SUPER SAIYAN" lolol

LowerLevel

Londa said:
How odd, I could never get into DBZ.

Same here. Actually can't get into anime at all anymore really. Haklong is/was trying to get me to watch Naruto's and I tried but the Nostalgia of Ranma and Bubblegum Crisis and others keep me away as I got older. Berserk/Guttsu and Kenshin did find a way in however so all is not lost.

ikkemenx

LowerLevel said:
Same here. Actually can't get into anime at all anymore really. Haklong is/was trying to get me to watch Naruto's and I tried but the Nostalgia of Ranma and Bubblegum Crisis and others keep me away as I got older. Berserk/Guttsu and Kenshin did find a way in however so all is not lost.

DON'T GIVE UP MAN NEW KENSHIN ANIME JINCHUU ARC IS ON ITS WAY

I did grow out of Naruto around the time I got to junior high, but just recently I was playing Clash of Ninja 2 and it made me nostalgic as fuck. Downloaded some episodes and
cried myself to sleep
had a great time.

Top Bottom