• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Imm0rt4l

Measley said:
No, you were born human. You currently choose to label yourself African American for whatever reason. Whether that be social, political, economic, or some other reason. If you want to test this theory, just go outside the United States. Like Smokey Robinson said, you won't be considered an "African" in Africa, and in some parts of the world, you won't even be considered a "black" person. Hell, I've ran into some Dominicans who are born in the states, don't speak a lick of Spanish, are as black as spades and they don't consider themselves black or African American. Its all a choice really.

There's nothing wrong with choosing a black or African American identity. The problem emerges when you believe you don't have a choice. That's when it ceases to become a cultural identifier, and morphs into an ideology.
That's another story though.

spindashing said:
whoah, I may be leader of the KFC > Popeyes club, but that doesn't sit right with me.

Genesis all day. I mean look at my user name.

Gonna have to disagree with you spin. The genesis did have a nicer controller, and games with better music and visuals, BUT the SNES just had the sheer variety.

Delio

spindashing said:
whoah, I may be leader of the KFC > Popeyes club, but that doesn't sit right with me.

Whoaaaaaaa KFC > Popeyes? What madness is this.

DrFunk said:
oh hell naw

Sega Genesis Core System > SNES

Sega does what Nintendon't wasn't just a catchphrase son

Lebron said:
Only one had this
fkkSx.jpg

Game. Blouses.
spindashing said:

I am out-gunned. :-(

Delio said:
You are definitely a brotha. You can hang with me anytime.

Measley said:
Be like Tiger Woods and make up your own racial label. No one will care.
What? Blasian? It's completely accurate.

So because a Dominican may deny their heritage its ok? Denial doesn't make it right. It's just that its a cultural thing, Dominicans usually don't like to admit that there is some black in them.

I'm really not getting this.

ikkemenx

Now this is more like it.

Sonic > Mario

To my Genesis brothers, any of you play Rocket Knight Adventures? Or Dynamite Headdy?

Devolution said:
I haven't had the chicken in years but Popeye's biscuits, holy shit, fuck you KFC.
<3

Yasae said:
Worth mentioning:

PmkZD.jpg

Entirely too much shock over this at the BioWare forums.
who dat? is she the voice or the face the character was modeled after?

edit: and I now have an SNES team in here. GOOD SHIT.

lightless_shado said:
Gonna have to disagree with you spin. The genesis did have a nicer controller, and games with better music and visuals, BUT the SNES just had the sheer variety.
zero_suit said:
Mario>>>Sonic, brah.
You guys are crazy. CRAZY. Mario is classic, but don't forget the timeless gems that are
Sonic 1,2 and 3. Sonic 3 and Knuckles was dope too.

Delio said:
The truf.

Lebron said:
While we at it

Dreamcast > Everything
BROFIST.JPG YES. Too bad it was shortlived but by GOD it was the best system ever.

Delio

Devolution said:
I haven't had the chicken in years but Popeye's biscuits, holy shit, fuck you KFC.

Seriously stick a needle in me and feed me the biscuits,mash potatoes and that damn rice they have. (Mix that shit with gravy. My late mother ordered it like that all the time it's HEAVEN).

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Look people.

g02545g0w5g.jpg

Did the SNES have SPORTS TALK FOOTBALL?

Ask yourself that, then kill yourselves

don't kill yourself, not a good look. I had a SNES too, but I had a Genny first

DrFunk said:
Look people.

g02545g0w5g.jpg

yo, even though I rep the Genesis side, I have to say:

tb_4.jpg

Best. Football. Game. Ever.

ikkemenx

DrFunk said:
Look people.

g02545g0w5g.jpg

GOLDEN AXE W'SUP

DrFunk

ESWAT, Golden Axe, SoR, Shinobi, World of Illusion, Alien Syndrome

Don't even get me started on Master System games

zero_suit

spindashing said:
You guys are crazy. CRAZY. Mario is classic, but don't forget the timeless gems that are
Sonic 1,2 and 3. Sonic 3 and Knuckles was dope too.

Yeah, but Mario is still superb while Sonic...LMAO.

Measley

ChocolateCupcakes said:
What? Blasian? It's completely accurate.

So because a Dominican may deny their heritage its ok? Denial doesn't make it right. It's just that its a cultural thing, Dominicans usually don't like to admit that there is some black in them.

I'm really not getting this.

Wasn't it Caublinasian or something?

Dominicans can do whatever they want. That's my point, its THEIR identity, and they can consider themselves whatever they want. According to the census for example, the majority of Hispanics consider themselves "white" when they're clearly of partial African descent.

in my humble opinion:

kfc>>>popeyes

sega>>>nintendo

dreamcast>>>everything; seriously, I wish i could go back and experience shenmue, skies of arcadia, and power stone for the first time again, good fuckin memories.

Imm0rt4l

They did my man sonic dirty, how is he gonna be in a footrace with mario and Nintendo act like it's close? Sonic team is trash.

ikkemenx said:
Eternal Champions? :D

I thought that game was pretty dope.

I played shaq fu as well

Yasae

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
<3

who dat? is she the voice or the face the character was modeled after?
Mass Effect spawned two sequels and you're asking who dat? Wrong question.

But you get what I'm saying.

Londa

Banned
DrFunk said:

No Battle Toads? omg

Also Aladdin and Lion King on the Game Gear was the best <3

DrFunk said:

pfft!

Battletoads, Act Raiser, Super Mario *, Super Metroid, UN Squadron, Chrono Cross, Final Fanatsy 3, F-Zero, The Legend of Zelda ALTTP, Chrono Trigger, Mega Man X, Gradius.

Don't even get me started on NES games.

I owned a Genesis, SegaCD and 32X. Lunar (SegaCD) was probably one of the best RPGs of all time and is criminally under-appreciated. Hook (SegaCD) was amazing for the few of us who got to play it.

Yasae said:
Mass Effect spawned two sequels and you're asking who dat? Wrong question.

But you get what I'm saying.
you lost me. maybe you could just tell me what you were attempting to say with the ME pic and the black chick to the right?

zero_suit said:
Sega fell off, my dude. :( You just have to accept it.
no...no...

NO.

We gave you shit like Bayonetta and the Yakuza series. Sega ain't dead!

Sonic's coming back. 1/2 of Unleashed was great. Colors was spectacular and that was just a Wii game. Generations is a'ight too.

I also take issue with Sonic running in the same speed as an overweight plumber from the hood in the Olympic Games. What is this shit? Fucking Miyamoto...

I love how this thread goes from serious shit back to games.

DrFunk

Lebron said:
He talking about Sega of old, not new shitty Sega. Old Sega used to regulate on the regular. ON THE REGULAR.

Sega arcade games > everything

tell me Sega/Capcom didn't have the arcade game on lock

Lebron

I had Mighty Morphin Power Rangers on Sega CD, also known as one of the greatest trolls of all time.

I was young and foolish.

spindashing said:
Sonic's coming back. 1/2 of Unleashed was great. Colors was spectacular and that was just a Wii game. Generations is a'ight too.
:-(

It's like watching a special needs child tell their caretaker that their parents who passed away years ago are coming home any day now.

You poor thing. :(

GrapeApes said:
People saying KFC > Popeyes got to be trolling. Are you guys referring to the chicken or you including crap like sides?
It's sad, bro. But yes, they believe it...and yes, they're talking about the chicken AND sides.

Imagine that shit.

zero_suit said:
I'll definitely give them credit for that one, but Nintendo is still far better. :)
=( SEGA of old > Nintendo of old, but I will give you the win for current times. For now...

Measley said:
My first Genesis game;

f28dc44652f98b198f8360c675952421-Strider.jpg

The Japanese cover was so much better....
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, yes.

The arcade port was so much more better but Strider is still king.

Hard as shit but it was a great game.

GrapeApes said:
People saying KFC > Popeyes got to be trolling. Are you guys referring to the chicken or you including crap like sides?
Just the chicken + mac and cheese + biscuits + mashed potatoes.

Delio

GrapeApes said:

Seriously KFC has nothing on Popeyes. Nothing at all.

Top Bottom