• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Dreams-Visions said:
that reason is fair. at GAF, most of these lonely mothafuckas would say, "I picked a female for ME2 so that I could look at a female ass all game long..."

I've seen that said more times that I care to remember.
I also find that most male customization sucks. Except for Def Jam: Fight for NY, game was badass.

Delio said:
And one wonders why i shy away from Black gaf even though i am black.
Honestly, you know damn well it wouldn't be acceptable to compare struggles or civil rights issues to the Holocaust, so why is it acceptable to compare struggles to the slavery/black CRM? Someone explain this shit to me.

Delio

ChocolateCupcakes said:
The thread about those gay soldiers being attacked.

This is an absolutely horrible reason.

Well when he comes in here to bitch about what just happened in the gay thread i find that highly annoying. So when you have someone like him representing black gaf it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Delio said:
Well when he comes in here to bitch about what just happened in the gay thread i find that highly annoying. So when you have someone like him representing black gaf it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

who are you talking about?

Delio said:
Answer my question

I just read through that thread.

Every single thread featuring gays invariably features the invocation of 235 years of American racial/civil rights issues, followed by the immediate invocation of "oppression olympics" when anyone suggests that the historic struggle of black people and other minorities in this country isn't exactly like the issues gays face in this country.

Natural's Law, indeed...but I would hate for us to get piled on in here to prove a point.
We gotta stay principled - but civil, so that nobody tries to make an example out of this thread and its users.

Delio said:
People complain. See everyone on this damn forum. Representing? Did we have a meeting and sent him out to speak for all of us? No. It's incredibly disturbing statement that you think this one person represents all of black-gaf.

I have seen people like lexi and ZephyrFate do the same damn thing.

dream

Not being black or gay makes those threads hilarious to me.

Discrimination sucks no matter what but one side definitely has this attitude of "my oppression is worse than your oppression so you should care more about my cause than your own" about them.

My rule of thumb is to bail out as soon as someone uses the word "conflate." The thread always turns into community college Sociology 101 after someone breaks out that word.

LowerLevel

spindashing said:
Can we not bring bullshit like that in here? Fuck all of you guys, I pass the paperbag test.

To be honest, I tried to change the subject a few times.

Anyways, other than Blue Ribbon, your beer selection SUCKS! =)

Delio

spindashing said:
Can we not bring bullshit like that in here? Fuck all of you guys, I pass the paperbag test.

For you Spindashing i'll leave it be. I just had to say something when someon leaves one thread in the middle of a arguement and jumps into his "safety net" to talk about what happened there.

I'm sorry I brought that in here. Lets talk about TMNT or DBZ or some shit.

Delio said:
For you Spindashing i'll leave it be. I just had to say something when someon leaves one thread in the middle of a arguement and jumps into his "safety net" to talk about what happened there.

It was less of a discussion and more of a pile on. Have some pride in your history too, bro. I refuse to let what my ancestors and even my own fucking mother went through be belittled to a fucking talking point.

Delio said:
First of all, he represents himself. We don't elect representatives, though if we do I'll be happy to run as the BlackGAF Ambassador to the OT. lol. Generally speaking, he came here because it was something that was related in ways to the black experience, so it's not unexpected that he'd want to vent amongst people who my understand his feelings on the matter a bit better.

I tend to agree that the gay rights struggle can and should stand on its own. References to the traditional American Civil Rights movement for people of color and women, the Holocaust before it, slavery before it or the Trail of Tears before it are only analogous in extremely limited ways. It does current movements a disservice by tiring potential allies who understand the past scope and scale of the movements being directly compared and know it's not as similar as those calling upon the example would like it to be.

But hey, I only speak for myself too.

dream said:
Not being black or gay makes those threads hilarious to me.

Discrimination sucks no matter what but one side definitely has this attitude of "my oppression is worse than your oppression so you should care more about my cause than your own" about them.

My rule of thumb is to bail out as soon as someone uses the word "conflate." The thread always turns into community college Sociology 101 after someone breaks out that word.
lol, word.

spindashing said:
works for me. this is the reason why I stayed out of the thread in the first place.

spindashing said:

As an African the first time I heard about that I just shook my head. We get various shades of black people even back in west Africa, hell when I was born my parents were pretty shocked at how light I was. Skin tones aren't a big deal over there. But then again I can only speak of my experience, I can't speak for a whole continent.

Londa

Banned
Urban Scholar said:
As someone that drinks only on and or during social occasions(big parties/bar with friends) and is a major light weight, um smirnoff I suppose?

hah you read my mind. I love me some smirnoff.

Measley said:
Where did I say that lightskinned blacks aren't African American? I simply said that LSBs muiddle racial matters because of their skin advantage.

You told me earlier on that I can choose my race and that I choose to be African American (as if I wasn't born African American). I assumed you said that because you feel that I am more mixed than black and that I have two choices, black or white.

lightless_shado said:
As an African the first time I heard about that I just shook my head. We get various shades of black people even back in west Africa, hell when I was born my parents were pretty shocked at how light I was. Skin tones aren't a big deal over there. But then again I can only speak of my experience, I can't speak for a whole continent.
man, you should watch the Black in South America series on PBS (online).

Them shits is eye-opening. Brazillian culture in particular. There's like 100 different terms to classify how much "blackness" you have. The less the better, I guess.

Thanks for not continuing, guys.

I hate you guys anyway.

Recently, this thread has been a hotspot. I remember things being chill and it later explodes into debate. While I applaud the thread not being inactive, the last thing I want is for this thread to be closed like its previous iteration was.

We've done a great job so far, let's keep it strong.

Imm0rt4l

lightless_shado said:
word, people think that everyone in Africa is black as a typical Sudanese. We got so many shades of brown out there. I have an uncle who's a ginger and aunts and uncles light as colin powel and ones that are damn near char.

Londa

Banned
Delio said:

Where were you when someone came in here bring up the chart from another thread and trying to prove that all black women are ugly by international standards and should be grateful to get any mans attention?

Run on sentence and everything.

Big Baybee said:
Isn't like half of Brazil's population "black"? Crazy.

You can watch Professor Gates' documentary about being black in latin america. He visits Brazil, and there are people there who look very light and don't have curly hair, but they call themselves black and people identify with different shades over there. Its pretty interesting. I'd reccomend watching it if you haven't already.

Imm0rt4l said:
word, people think that everyone in Africa is black as a typical Sudanese. We got so many shades of brown out there. I have an uncle who's a ginger and aunts and uncles light as colin powel and ones that are damn near char.

Truth.

By the way, did anyone else's shade change as they got older? I was lighter when I was younger but I got darker and darker until adulthood.

Relax.

If you guys really want to continue quarreling, please bring it to PMs.

lightless_shado said:
By the way, did anyone else's shade change as they got older?
I actually got lighter with age. My sister too. She was Wesley Snipes' kid...

Delio

Londa said:
Where were you when someone came in here bring up the chart from another thread and trying to prove that all black women are ugly by international standards and should be grateful to get any mans attention?

Run on sentence and everything.

Sorry i only came here for the Gay thing. Sorry i missed that one.

Gaborn's a great poster, even though he's a Tigers fan and a lapsed MLB-Ager. :p

...and yeah, the paperbag test is fucked up, isn't it? There's more than a few instances of things like that throughout American history.

Meus Renaissance said:
Heh. Just a few months ago found out that there were still segregated proms
I'm ashamed to share a border with Mississippi. For all the shit states like Florida and Texas get, Mississippi is by far the worst fucking state in the country. UGH

Big Baybee said:
I'm ashamed to share a border with Mississippi. For all the shit states like Florida and Texas get, Mississippi is by far the worst fucking state in the country. UGH

Is it strange that I want to go to these type of places? I've never experienced racism in my life and I'm curious to see what reactions I may get or opinions I come across in conversations about e.g. interracial relationships, for example.

Top Bottom