• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

LowerLevel

Meus Renaissance said:
Is it strange that I want to go to these type of places? I've never experienced racism in my life and I'm curious to see what reactions I may get or opinions I come across in conversations about e.g. interracial relationships, for example.

Never been called the "N" word til I got to VA in the Navy (to my face anyways). And I supposedly live in the "Racist capitol of the World" (Boston)

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Meus Renaissance said:
Is it strange that I want to go to these type of places? I've never experienced racism in my life and I'm curious to see what reactions I may get or opinions I come across in conversations about e.g. interracial relationships, for example.

you dont want to experience racism man. having someone talk to you like youre half a man is one of the most tiring things in the world.

ikkemenx

lightless_shado said:
You can watch Professor Gates' documentary about being black in latin america. He visits Brazil, and there are people there who look very light and don't have curly hair, but they call themselves black and people identify with different shades over there. Its pretty interesting. I'd reccomend watching it if you haven't already.

Truth.

By the way, did anyone else's shade change as they got older? I was lighter when I was younger but I got darker and darker until adulthood.

It seems everyone in my family is changing. We moved here from Somalia, and growing up I was like this light honey brown colour, and now I've got this pale yellowish thing going on. I tan and become quite dark in the summer (when I went to Japan and it was 40 degrees every day I got pretty damn dark) but as soon as autumn comes around I'm light again. My brother was practically white growing up but now he's about the same as me, and my little sister has become darker, with dark lips and light brown hair. My skin is light, my hair is dark and my lips are pink. Interesting how much variation you can get!

Measley said:
Anyone here going to pick up Star Wars: The Old Republic?
Yep. I plan to get a new PC for this.
captmcblack said:
Natural's Law, indeed...but I would hate for us to get piled on in there to prove a point.We gotta stay principled - but civil, so that nobody tries to make an example out of this thread and its users.
I don't even bother even entering those threads anymore. I made my point in the last one. There is no "Oppression Olympics" because regardless of some discrimination a gay white person faces he or she still enjoys many of the benefits of white privilege. I am for gay rights and support them in their struggle; I really have nothing else to say on the matter.
spindashing said:
I would fail such an exam.
I may as well recreate the White Culture Thread.
"Spindashing makes Wayne Brady look like Louis Farrakhan."

LowerLevel

heliosRAzi said:
Should've been Austin

Not by choice. Wife's family moved there and her pop is old and diabetic. I fear her being up here if something happens. Besides, he put the house he bought down there in his and her names...

Delio

MWS Natural said:

I don't even bother even entering those threads anymore. I made my point in the last one. There is no "Oppression Olympics" because regardless of some discrimination a gay white person faces he or she still enjoys many of the benefits of white privilege. I am for gay rights and support them in their struggle; I really have nothing else to say on the matter.

And what about Black gay guys? Or Latino gay guys? the "white privilege"?

Meus Renaissance said:

Are you black? Then you've experienced racism - trust me.

But that overt kind you're looking for, the kind that should be out of place in this modern, post-Civil Rights/Jackie Robinson/MLK/Malcolm X/Obama/Oprah universe, is nothing you want to experience first-hand.

Gaborn said:
Thanks guys. Actually, there has been an issue that came up in recent days that BlackGAF may be interested in. I don't know how many of you have been following the story but Cory Maye was finally set free.

If you want a good look at the basic primer about the story go here (it's long, and it's upsetting, but it's very important)
I've never heard of Cory Maye before, but that was an interesting read. It's a shame that a good cop was killed accidentally out of all that, but I am pleased that Maye is out of jail.

ikkemenx

captmcblack said:
Are you black? Then you've experienced racism - trust me.

But that overt kind you're looking for, the kind that should be out of place in this modern, post-Civil Rights/Jackie Robinson/MLK/Malcolm X/Obama/Oprah universe, is nothing you want to experience first-hand.

I feel like the most overt racism I've experienced, thankfully, was in my elementary school days. Kids were pretty evil back then, saying things like "you can't play with us because you're black" etc. My experiences later on were of the more subtle nature, but I wonder if a lot of people share those early experiences too.

Dead Man

MWS Natural said:

Actually, just 2 points you may wish to consider before I head back to the study dungeon. Non white people are gay to. And there is such a thing as heterosexual privilege, also known as Heteronormativity. Not apples to apples of course, but it might interest you.

Delio said:
And what about Black gay guys? Or Latino gay guys? the "white privilege"?

I doubt he's going to answer you seeing as he said he's done with that topic. You could PM him if you really want to know.

I'm guessing that people of color who are also gay would still want to know that they won't face discrimination based on their color first before they start to fight harder to not be discriminated based on their sexuality.

Anyway if you want to read my thoughts on that subject then you can PM me. People have already asked that that debate be kept out of this thread.

Satchwar said:
Gurl wtf is going on in your avatar?

I like it.

Gurl. I like how he got his hair did. =)

But seriously catbeard dude is pretty lulzy right?

And to add to the paperbag-esque discussion, one of my best friends was called "oreo" growing up because he didn't act like the ghetto kids at school. When he told me this I felt awful.

ikkemenx

Devolution said:

And to add to the paperbag-esque discussion, one of my best friends was called "oreo" growing up because he didn't act like the ghetto kids at school. When he told me this I felt awful.

That's happened to me too! I told my mom because I (naively) found it quite funny, and she got quite upset. I remember telling her to "stop blowing things out of proportion" :(.

I've never been called an oreo, but I have been called uppity by some friends and family who are still "thuggin". I check on my hood friends from time to time. Some dead, some in jail, some deadbeats. Childhood fucking friend of mine was just found dead outside of a club shot to death two weeks ago. It amazes me how far I've come. Kinda makes me sad to think where they are.

Delio

Devolution said:

My own cousins call me Oreo. All because i dont listen to rap or wear my pants below my ass. They even seemed to get on me for being more of a techhead than them and call that not Black. Im not sure how i feel about that.

Delio said:
My own cousins call me Oreo. All because i dont listen to rap or wear my pants below my ass. They even seemed to get on me for being more of a techhead than them and call that not Black. Im not sure how i feel about that.
You should feel angry about that. They're old enough to not act so embryonic or idiotic.

I'm not sure how you can not be sure how you feel about it.

Delio said:
Weird that you aren't sure how you feel about that. A 50+ year old man called me that some months ago, it's upsetting that people, especially his age can say that and think its cute.

Londa

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
You should feel angry about that. They're old enough to not act so embryonic or idiotic.

I got a vibe from his comment that he didn't feel offended.

I've been told that I talk or act black from school mates. I'm also often asked what kinds of music I like to listen to, because I am assumed to not listen to rap and rnb because I act white to them. Well it is true that I don't listen to rap.

Edit:
Oh, and I was called a nigger child by a family member, once when I was really small and the other time when I was a teen.

Delio

Dreams-Visions said:

I've always felt that was something wrong about me. I ended up just accepting the Oreo thing and going on. I guess cause it was from my first cousins i just never thought of it as hateful.

Yikes, racist moments. It didn't help that I went to a predominantly white highschool.

Whatever, they'll be working for me or bagging my groceries.

I was called an Oreo by friends too. Also I was called the whitest Haitian ever because I didn't speak Creole. I also remember one instance of being in a 3 way phone call when I was younger with one person that I didn't know and he said, "Yo, that dude (me) sounds white. What's up with him?"

The shit you take, man. I used to let EVERYTHING slide, too. I may be easygoing, but the last thing I need are people thinking I'm a pushover.
don't hurt me.

Seems like the whole "oreo" thing has kind of been going away though, right? I would find it hard to believe that there are black folks still being put down for speaking intelligently or going to college.

Delio

Big Baybee said:
Seems like the whole "oreo" thing has kind of been going away though, right? I would find it hard to believe that there are black folks still being put down for speaking intelligently or going to college.

I guess it also comes down to where you live. I'm in north texas in a mostly black area.

ikkemenx

Big Baybee said:

I'm put down for speaking intelligently. Like I'm "acting" or something. Sigh.

Satch

Banned
I've been told "You're the whitest black chick I know."

And then there was that one time I went snowboarding on a school trip and my dad told me "I always knew you had a little white in you."

As for childhood racism experiences...

When I was in elementary school, I went to daycare everyday after classes. There was this new girl one day, and I was like "Cool, I can make a new friend!" So she was playing Super Nintendo (we had it like that, brah), and she got up because she had to go to the restroom. She paused the game and I said "I'll save the controller for you," because there were some other dudes hovering to pick it up while she was away.

She said "No, I don't want you to hold it," and left it in the chair. I just let it go with an "Okay... :/"

So later that afternoon, her mom comes to pick her up and I looked at her and smiled. When I tell you this bitch looked down her nose at me like she was looking at some dog shit... But she didn't do that to any of the white kids.

That afternoon I told my mom about it and she had to sit me down and explain to me what that might have been, and how some people in the world are ignorant and teach their kids to be the same way. I still didn't really "get it" though. I was in elementary school, y'know?

But the next day, the girl wanted to play with my Pokemon toys (my collection was GODLIKE). I let her play with them because I didn't feel like I needed to be nasty. But you better believe - EVERYDAY - her mom came around like clockwork, and looked at me that way.

I will never forget that experience OR that woman's face. :(

Big Baybee said:
No it happens maybe not as often.

Most of my friends have me do business for them a lot of the time, either going places with them or speaking for them over the phone because I can turn that shit on and off. Never really was put down for it.

Devolution said:
May I ask where some of you live and whether you think that had little or a lot do with it?
The Boot! Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Satchwar said:

And then there was that one time I went snowboarding on a school trip and my dad told me "I always knew you had a little white in you."

When I was in elementary school, I went to daycare everyday after classes. There was this new girl one day, and I was like "Cool, I can make a new friend!" So she was playing Super Nintendo (we had it like that, brah), and she got up because she had to go to the restroom. She paused the game and I said "I'll save the controller for you," because there were some other dudes hovering to pick it up while she was away.

She said "No, I don't want you to hold it," and left it in the chair. I just let it go with an "Okay... :/"

So later that afternoon, her mom comes to pick her up and I looked at her and smiled. When I tell you this bitch looked down her nose at me like she was looking at some dog shit... But she didn't do that to any of the white kids.

That afternoon I told my mom about it and she had to sit me down and explain to me what that might have been, and how some people in the world are ignorant and teach their kids to be the same way. I still didn't really "get it" though. I was in elementary school, y'know?

But the next day, the girl wanted to play with my Pokemon toys (my collection was GODLIKE). I let her play with them because I didn't feel like I needed to be nasty. But you better believe - EVERYDAY - her mom came around like clockwork, and looked at me that way.

I don't even feel bad for you. You had Super Nintendo. Fuck that.

Devolution said:
May I ask where some of you live and whether you think that had little or a lot do with it?
I live in Queens, New York. The most racially/religiously diverse area of the world. Elementary school was largely blacks, highschool was full of whites, and now college is full of Asians.

Devolution said:
Lived in the Bronx for 12 years, moved upstate but I still go down there so I assume my mannerisms changed, for the better I thought, but to them I sounded/acted white.

Measley

Londa said:
You told me earlier on that I can choose my race and that I choose to be African American (as if I wasn't born African American). I assumed you said that because you feel that I am more mixed than black and that I have two choices, black or white.

No, you were born human. You currently choose to label yourself African American for whatever reason. Whether that be social, political, economic, or some other reason. If you want to test this theory, just go outside the United States. Like Smokey Robinson said, you won't be considered an "African" in Africa, and in some parts of the world, you won't even be considered a "black" person. Hell, I've ran into some Dominicans who are born in the states, don't speak a lick of Spanish, are as black as spades and they don't consider themselves black or African American. Its all a choice really.

There's nothing wrong with choosing a black or African American identity. The problem emerges when you believe you don't have a choice. That's when it ceases to become a cultural identifier, and morphs into an ideology.

Londa

Banned
Measley said:
No, you were born human. You currently choose to label yourself African American for whatever reason. Whether that be social, political, economic, or some other reason. If you want to test this theory, just go outside the United States. Like Smokey Robinson said, you won't be considered an "African" in Africa, and in some parts of the world, you won't even be considered a "black" person. Hell, I've ran into some Dominicans who are born in the states, don't speak a lick of Spanish, are as black as spades and they don't consider themselves black or African American. Its all a choice really.

There's nothing wrong with choosing a black or African American identity. The problem emerges when you believe you don't have a choice. That's when it ceases to become a cultural identifier, and morphs into an ideology.

No and I think you are crazy. Like loose screw crazy.

The case of Dominican racial/cultural identity is a tricky one.

They are technically as black as I am; the only difference is that their slavemasters went right on the island, whereas mine went left (as I'm Haitian-American).

There are documentaries that try to explain why they choose to ignore their African and Caribbean - and in turn, their black - roots and instead choose to embrace the cultural/racial identity of their historic oppressors. It's a curious thing, that.

Measley said:

....what are you getting at? From this I honestly got that race doesn't exist to you. Or are you just not a huge "labeling" person?

God, I re-read this and it doesn't make a lick of sense. Race isn't determined by skin colour.

ikkemenx

Satchwar said:

Man, childhood experiences like that just stick with you. I remember in elementary I went to a friend's birthday party at a bowling alley. I was first in line for the food (some concession area) and the lady ignored me. She served every other child in line (a good 20 in line) and because I was shy and extremely scared of conflict I just quietly waited. Finally, I was last to be served (it was a burger with fries and gravy) and she asked if I wanted some gravy. I said "only on the fries, please" and she took a big scoop of gravy and poured it all over my fries, and then all over my burger, while looking at me. She didn't do this for anyone else, and I was definitely the only black kid there. I silently picked up my plate with a lump in my throat and proceeded to follow the other kids. To this day I have mixed feelings about that encounter, but man, I definitely had this weird feeling in my stomach at the time, like something was off.

And to answer Devolution's question, I grew up in Ontario but live in Alberta now.

Satchwar said:
One of the games we had was Street Fighter II.

u jelly?
I was busy playing with a headless Leonardo action figure with no katanas while other people had SFII?! Damn right I'm jelly... y_y

captmcblack said:
There are documentaries that try to explain why they choose to ignore their African and Caribbean - and in turn, their black - roots and instead choose to embrace the culture of their historic oppressors. It's a curious thing, that.
Yeah, some Dominicans I know are darker than me yet they won't admit to their african roots.

Also, what I found pretty cool is that the actor who played Carlton in The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Alfonso Ribeiro, is Dominican. When I found that out when I was younger I was mindblown.

Satchwar said:

that's funny. I founded and coordinated my fraternities annual Ski Fest. I'd convince around 200 black kids from Detroit that (a) black people ski and (b) they need to be next.

My PowerPoint slide show was epic. After watching and seeing who was sponsoring, they put their assumptions behind and would come. It was interesting being the point man and brain behind it, but I had been skiing for years, so it wasn't bullshit. I'd been part of a black ski club for 6 years prior to that event series, which still happens every February at Michigan to this day.

Through it all, I never had anyone question my blackness. Not never. I'm grateful for that, because I don't know for sure how I would have reacted.

Satchwar said:
One of the games we had was Street Fighter II.

u jelly?
speaking of which, SFII came out on Super Famicom about 6 months before it came to the states. What did I do? Talk my dad into buying the Super Famicom version along with a converter for it to work in the SNES via mail order. It was like $150 large.

Was my house the hottest on the block for a full summer? Why yes it was.

Measley

ChocolateCupcakes said:
....what are you getting at? From this I honestly got that race doesn't exist to you. Or are you just not a huge "labeling" person?

God, I re-read this and it doesn't make a lick of sense. Race isn't determined by skin colour.

I never said that race was determined by skin color. I was making a point that there are Dominicans with lots of African heritage who don't label themselves as black or African American here in the states, and no one forces them to. They choose their racial/cultural label, just like everyone else does.

Measley said:
I never said that race was determined by skin color. I was making a point that there are Dominicans with lots of African heritage who don't label themselves as black or African American here in the states, and no one forces them to. They choose their racial/cultural label, just like everyone else does.

Not sure I agree with your assertion that our race labels are chosen by us and not forces outside of our control or society.

Measley

captmcblack said:
The case of Dominican racial/cultural identity is a tricky one.

They are technically as black as I am; the only difference is that their slavemasters went right on the island, whereas mine went left (as I'm Haitian-American).

There are documentaries that try to explain why they choose to ignore their African and Caribbean - and in turn, their black - roots and instead choose to embrace the cultural/racial identity of their historic oppressors. It's a curious thing, that.

One of the things that I like about the Henry Louis Gates documentaries is that they show the African heritage within Hispanic Americans. I think that's very important, because Hispanics and Blacks are going to need to work together in the future.

Devolution said:
Not sure I agree with your assertion that our race labels are chosen by us and not forces outside of our control or society.

Be like Tiger Woods and make up your own racial label. No one will care.

Lebron

Dreams-Visions said:
SNES > Genesis

COME AT ME BRO
Only one had this
fkkSx.jpg

Game. Blouses.

Measley said:

I don't completely agree. In fact, the thing that smokey said actually bothered me. Africans are very hospitable. We wouldn't consider you an African on the basis of your actual nationality, just like how if a jersey shore "italian" went over to Italy, people would refer to them as Americans. And also the society you're in labels you. If one day I woke up and said I didn't want to be considered black, everyone will laugh in my face when I tell them that. When it comes down to it, if you go to a place in Africa like Ghana and you tell them you're a black person they'll say "yeah, so what?" if you're very light and your hair isn't very curly or something and you step into a south African neighborhood they may consider you "colored" because they're assuming you have mixed ancestry. A "colored" African in South Africa is still an African because they have an African cultural identity.

One thing that irks people I know who travel to Africa fairly often is how well they treat white people in certain places, but then when these Africans who were so hospitable travel to Europe or America and they experience racism they're confused because they expected to be given the same hospitality that they may have shown to white people in their country.

The thing we're confusing here is resentment based on culture and resentment based on race. Dominicans for example may not consider themselves black because to them a concept of blackness is an american thing.

Top Bottom