• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

I like MJW a lot and wish he was a bigger star...but even with Wesley in prison, dude is still one of the best action stars (Black or otherwise) ever. His body of work is simply more varied and better.

Many people forget that BLADE played a pretty big step in marking the second wave of comic book movies. I like to make a distinction between the ultra campy 80's and 90's stuff (With Batman Forever being the best example), and the newer, more gritty, less campy, "more realistic" ones (With The Dark Knight being the best example). Blade falls in line with the new school, and it came out in 98!

I actually think that Blade 2 is one of the best comic book movies ever. Makes sense as it was directed by Del Toro, who has become one of the top guys for genre stuff.

One thing that angers me is that we can have Spawn in 97, Blade in 98 (Followed by two sequels, one of which was damn good), but looking at all of these new ones coming out in the next couple of years...nothing. Huge step back, as was recently discussed in that vanity fair thread.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Kitschkraft said:
I like MJW a lot and wish he was a bigger star...but even with Wesley in prison, dude is still one of the best action stars (Black or otherwise) ever. His body of work is simply more varied and better.

Many people forget that BLADE played a pretty big step in marking the second wave of comic book movies. I like to make a distinction between the ultra campy 80's and 90's stuff (With Batman Forever being the best example), and the newer, more gritty, less campy, "more realistic" ones (With The Dark Knight being the best example). Blade falls in line with the new school, and it came out in 98!

I actually think that Blade 2 is one of the best comic book movies ever. Makes sense as it was directed by Del Toro, who has become one of the top guys for genre stuff.

One thing that angers me is that we can have Spawn in 97, Blade in 98 (Followed by two sequels, one of which was damn good), but looking at all of these new ones coming out in the next couple of years...nothing. Huge step back, as was recently discussed in that vanity fair thread.

its the WB effect.

I loved Vampire in Brooklyn as a kid. I thought WS was cool as fuck even before Blade. Though it doesn't look like it was received all that well going by IMDB's rating. lol.

Lebron

Idris is rising in the based ranks in Hollywood currently. I'm sure they'll give him his own comic movie soon enough. He's already been in Thor and GR. And Losers too i guess.

G-Fex

perfectnight said:
I loved Vampire in Brooklyn as a kid. I thought WS was cool as fuck even before Blade. Though it doesn't look like it was received all that well going by IMDB's rating. lol.

You know speaking of Eddie Murphy, I watched Some of Harlem Nights, I think that was more of a drama than a comedy since it was mostly serious business.

Master Z

Lebron said:
Idris is rising in the based ranks in Hollywood currently. I'm sure they'll give him his own comic movie soon enough. He's already been in Thor and GR. And Losers too i guess.
Oh please no, he can do so much better than that. He would be a great James Bond if Hollywood ever decides to grow a pair.

G-Fex said:
You know speaking of Eddie Murphy, I watched Some of Harlem Nights, I think that was more of a drama than a comedy since it was mostly serious business.

Lol'd hard. Shows how much I remember about that movie :D

Lebron said:

I'd like to see him in his own comic book movie, but I can't really think of any characters he could play. Maybe Powerman? but Terry Crews pretty much is Luke cage.

Lebron

Master Z said:
Oh please no, he can do so much better than that. He would be a great James Bond if Hollywood ever decides to grow a pair.
Like to see it, but never going to happen.

I think he'd make a good Black Panther. Though it seems like he's shooting for Luke Cage, which I'm not so sure about.

Lebron said:
Like to see it, but never going to happen.

I think he'd make a good Black Panther. Though it seems like he's shooting for Luke Cage, which I'm not so sure about.

I really wouldn't want him for Black Panther I think Djmon Honsou could do it. I mean he's already got the accent, and he's already in pretty good shape. If he were younger Isaac de bankole would also have been a fantastic choice. It doesn't matter though because they'll probably just pick Chitwel Elijofor or Wesley Snipes if he's out of Jail by then.

Speaking of Black Panther, I've been reading some comics and I'm trying to hunt down all the black panther volumes.

I got a real question for you, BlackGAF:

So I'm at the airport (right now, actually) and I did some shit I don't really recall ever doing before...or feeling compelled to do before.

I'm walking and I see a crowd of hood chicks in the airport going my general direction. Blond weave, Baby Phat, homely, unattractive. You know the type. They get on the horizontal escalator (not sure what it's called) that I was about to jump on, but I just KNEW people were going to think I was with them. I couldn't handle that prospect even for the short length of the escalator ride. So I just skipped the escalator all together.

Have you ever took an alternate route to avoid the assumption that you're "with" a super-hood group of black folk?

Dreams-Visions said:

So I'm at the airport (right now, actually) and I did some shit I don't really recall ever doing before...or feeling compelled to do before.

I'm walking and I see a crowd of hood chicks in the airport going my general direction. Blond weave, Baby Phat, homely, unattractive. You know the type. They get on the horizontal escalator (not sure what it's called) that I was about to jump on, but I just KNEW people were going to think I was with them. I couldn't handle that prospect even for the short length of the escalator ride. So I just skipped the escalator all together.

Have you ever took an alternate route to avoid the assumption that you're "with" a super-hood group of black folk?
I've done the same thing several times. I remember a few years ago, there was a loud bunch of kids in the bus. They were having fun of course, but they were being rude about it. I was sitting next to them and just slowly crept away.

By the way, the horizontal escalator is actually called a horizontal escalator lol. I've heard "walkway"/"moving walkway" too.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Dreams-Visions said:

yes, oh god yes

Even though I don't resemble the offending group of ratchets or thugs in question, I make a habit of putting at least 3 car lengths between me and them

horizontal escalator (not sure what it's called)

people mover

Air

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:

No. I stick out like a sore thumb anyway, what with the long, permed hair in a ponytail, skinny jeans and devil may care attitude

DominoKid

Dreams-Visions said:

WHY YOU SHAMED OF YO PEOPLEZ

but really though that seems overly self-conscious.

Measley

Londa said:
Only people like you care that much to put lines between mixed people who have black in them and people that are 100% black. This is why I said something about you bring Mrs Berry up to represent all black women when you do not consider her to be black even if she saids she is black. You did it only out of convence to support your bigioted opinion of black women.

I don't have a bigoted opinion of black women. I have a bigoted opinion of black AMERICAN women. That includes biracial chicks like Halle Berry who consider themselves black.

BTW, the lines between mixed folks and black folks are getting more prevalent. Its not just me, its the people themselves putting the lines in place. There's some really messed up crap going on behind the scenes, and its so subversive that most folks don't even realize it.

However, that's a topic for another time....

Dreams-Visions said:

Hmm.. nah. Most I've done is act like I don't speak spanish when I don't want to deal with hoodrat latinos :D

Kaizer

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:

Yep, I'll never forget the ratchetness of my school bus everyday in the morning and afternoon. I'd just stay up front with my headphones on if my friend wasn't there. They'd get into fights every single day over the stupidest things.

Dreams-Visions said:

Nah I've never felt that way before really.

Interesting responses.

I've never had a moment like that before that I can recall. It could also have something to do with the fact that I'm running off of about 20 minutes of sleep. idk.

Dreams-Visions said:

Nah, I don't think I give off the 'hood' aura anyway. Wouldn't fault anyone for it tho.

SN: What the hell ARE those things called and why is America so fat/lazy?
In shape, but still love those things

spindashing said:
Every chance I get, I like to walk the opposite way of the walkway so that I won't be moving.
LOL

this, I can imagine. just once I'd like to see a grown ass man with a straight ass face walking the wrong way on one of these escalators...while not making any net progress...and staring at others like THEY are the crazy ones.

Dreams-Visions said:
LOL

this, I can imagine. just once I'd like to see a grown ass man with a straight ass face walking the wrong way on one of these escalators...while not making any net progress...and staring at others like THEY are the crazy ones.
Haha, exactly.

That reminds me, the airport is like one of the best places to meet people. Jesus Christ, so many good looking women traveling/coming from travel.. I need to get an airport job or something.

Londa

Banned
Measley said:
I don't have a bigoted opinion of black women. I have a bigoted opinion of black AMERICAN women. That includes biracial chicks like Halle Berry who consider themselves black.

BTW, the lines between mixed folks and black folks are getting more prevalent. Its not just me, its the people themselves putting the lines in place. There's some really messed up crap going on behind the scenes, and its so subversive that most folks don't even realize it.

However, that's a topic for another time....
Glad you admited to being bigoted. First steps, first steps...

Imm0rt4l

Dreams-Visions said:

Moving walkways

and yea their have been such times for me, not wanting to be presumed to be with a group that I feel would undermine me, I feel kinda bad that it had to be that way, but it is what it is.

Dreams-Visions said:

Every once in a while I do see a group of black people with "urban" style. I won't avoid them if they're going my way, my style isn't similar to theirs anyway so unless someone was just thinking unreasonably they wouldn't assume I'm with them.
DominoKid said:

On one hand, I approve of him teaching him a lesson, but on the other hand that child will think that violence is the solution to a problem.

Londa

Banned
lightless_shado said:
Every once in a while I do see a group of black people with "urban" style. I won't avoid them if they're going my way, my style isn't similar to theirs anyway so unless someone was just thinking unreasonably they wouldn't assume I'm with them.

On one hand, I approve of him teaching him a lesson, but on the other hand that child will think that violence is the solution to a problem.

I was shocked when the kid asks him mom if he can go see the rest of the fight.

The mom was no better because she was filming it and timed the color change as a effect.

Also I'm hoping the guy doesn't sue him, because if he can prove that he wasn't selling any drugs he can claim that not only was he A. Fired for no good reason but B.Physically and verbally assaulted and the video could serve as evidence. The guy could lose his business.

I feel like he just got caught up in the moment and lost his mind, but its easy to talk about what I would do if I were in his situation because I'm not. If someone betrayed my trust, played a part in destroying my community AND corrupted my child's mind(assuming that the boy hangs around the shop) I don't know what I'd do.

DominoKid

i laugh anytime i see anything related to tipping and black people.

i'm Mr. Pink when it comes to tipping

"I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job."

Mr. Patch said:
That tipping thread is probably going to make me tip less. It's kinda made like waiters/waitresses less.

Truly a self fulfilling prophecy. I`m going to look at waiters now like "oh they don't expect me to tip".

And I ALWAYS tip, though I admit I tip pretty low.

Londa

Banned
I tip because never once in my life have my parents not tip when eating out.

I guess I missed the part in black culture where I was suppose to be told that I shouldn't tip anyone because that is what black people have to do.

SoilBreak

Banned
Have you guys ever heard of this before?

I had a friend who worked as a server at the Cheesecake Factory. They used to call black people "Canadians" in code. It's really disgusting. Now I'm worried every time I go out to eat what the server is thinking of me b/c I'm black.

"Don't park your car here. I don't like this neighborhood, it's full of Canadians."

''Sorry, I cannot hear you. There are a bunch of goddamn Canadians playing rap music.''

''Trent was trying to enjoy the movie but Canadians would not stop talking to the screen and using their cellphones.''

http://stuffwhitepeopledo.blogspot.com/2009/04/call-black-people-canadians.html

spindashing said:
I think we had a NeoGAF thread on that very subject, actually.

We did, and Jesus @ that barber video. What the hell...

As for the HP commentary vid, all I know is that with the demographic changes taking place, and are projected to take place, if I see a Vanity Fair cover similar to the one we just had a massive debate over in ten years time...IDK, man. I mean, that cover is already pretty problematic.

ETA:

As I typed up this post, I recalled two studies that I wanted to link to, but took a minute to find again, because I didn't bookmark them:

Study Finds White People Don’t Watch Black Movies. Who’s to Blame? -- Colorlines
Tuesday, July 12 2011, 9:51 AM EST
It’s no secret that it’s close to impossible for aspiring actors of color to make it mainstream in Hollywood. Every year studies find that people of color are underrepresented in almost every aspect of the film industry. And that’s largely due to studio executives’ fears that white audiences will stay away if there are too many people of color in a film.

But a recent study shows movie-goers are just as harsh when it comes to “casting” where they spend their money at the box office.

In a research paper published in May, Andrew J. Weaver, a telecommunications professor at Indiana University, conducted two studies to test whether the racial makeup of a film’s cast could influence the decisions of white audiences. The study, called “The Role of Actors’ Race in White Audiences’ Selective Exposure to Movies”, concluded “minority cast members” do in fact lead white audiences to be less interested in seeing certain films.

And on the flipside, you guys might be interested to know...

Study: Blacks See Mainstream Films More Than Niche Films -- The Root
Posted: May 25, 2011
Our News Now is reporting that a new Black Entertainment Television study finds that 81 percent of the movies seen by African Americans don't prominently feature an African-American cast, lead actor or story line.

Matthew Barnhill, senior vice president of market research at BET Networks, said, "The African-American community has diverse tastes, an appetite for quality movies and entertainment that can range from blockbuster mainstream action films to African-American romantic comedies."

In the study, only three of the top films in 2010-11 mentioned by African-American moviegoers had a predominantly African-American cast or story line or a lead African-American actor. The study found that the genres African Americans spent the most money on were comedy, action adventure and romance.

We're glad that BET released a study about what we already knew: Black people see everything at the movies, not just films with black casts. A special note to Hollywood: This should not be interpreted as a reason to make fewer films with black casts. It simply means that black folks are open to many genres and films, regardless of race.

Not that this is news to us, really.

Top Bottom