• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Zoramon089 said:
I don't know what made me remember this but does it happen to anyone else? You'll be walking down the sidewalk or whatever and you'll see another black dude who you don't know and haven't seen before, and you'll look at each other for a second, and he'll nod and, almost as if not to be rude, you'll nod back.

My non-black friends have asked me why this happens and admittedly I don't know, but it's happened on a couple occasions. Enough times for me to remember it being a thing and not a one time occurrence

One theory!

Prepare for my 9 o'clock work meeting
A couple pale folk slide right by with no greeting
But the people with my phenotype follow with a head nod up (what up)
'Cause we acknowledge that this shit fucked up

could have been worse...

Colin Colon
Ray-Ray Rodriguez
Pookie Perez
------------------------------
wait... actually, Pookie Perez is AWESOME!

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
The Faceless Master said:
could have been worse...

Colin Colon
Ray-Ray Rodriguez
Pookie Perez
wait... actually, Pookie Perez is AWESOME!

i knew a guy named ray ray rodriguez. although his name was ramon... im not sure why he called himself that..cool dude nontheless

I am excited to see the direction they are taking with Spider man in the Ultimate universe. Marvel has always said that place is where they go to try out new concepts. If this occurred in the Amazing Spider man universe of course in a year the real Peter Parker would return. But as long as this character has an interesting story I am going to give it a chance. I grew up the 90’s with Milestone comics and Static Shock figured by 2011 we would have teams filled with all ethnicities but that has not been the case.

Oh yeah new spidey sounds great!. Just hope he isn't regulated to b tier side story material. Iam going to follow his comic to see how solid it will be. His creation was inspired by Donald Glover's spider-man campaign, which is cool as hell. progress!

I love the idea, its something they should have done more of in the Ultimate Universe, keeping the superhero but changing the identity of the person beneath the mask. In any case, I like the move and I hope the eventual stories are more in the vein of the Jamie Reyes Blue Beetle and less like the Ryan Choi Atom. (The last 2 high profile diversity changes)
/comicgeek

Black Spider-Man is amazing. I just hope they stick with it and don't nerf him or hide him (or hide from him). Let him truly BE Spider-Man; let the fans deal with his existence and love him (which they will because face it - he's fucking SPIDEY).

Do right by him, Marvel.

Mr. Patch

I like the idea of a black Spider-Man, but I would love for new minority super heroes to be created and given the same amount of attention as a Spider-Man, Batman, etc..

Satch

Banned
Mr. Patch said:
I like the idea of a black Spider-Man, but I would love for new minority super heroes to be created and given the same amount of attention as a Spider-Man, Batman, etc..
That's not going to happen for a while, unfortunately.

If it hadn't been for the cartoons, I don't think John Stewart or Static Shock would be as popular as they are now.

Mr. Patch said:

Doesn't black panther get a lot of attention? I don't follow comics, but he seems well known.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
this just seems like attention grabbing. they should promote some of the black heroes they have before going to angles like this.

Satchwar said:
Black Panther isn't nearly as popular as he could/should be.

probably why they chose him to replace daredevil for now.

Parallax said:
this just seems like attention grabbing. they should promote some of the black heroes they have before going to angles like this.

I sort of agree. It would be better to just make a new black or better yet latino character because I don't feel that marvel pays enough attention to them. They took a step in the right direction when they created Amadeus cho because honestly there aren't that many asian superheroes to begin with.

Londa

Banned
heliosRAzi said:
What's up with GAF and the subject of race lately?

People think it's funny to be borderline racist

sooperkool said:
I didn't know about the Rihanna thread when I made mine. Probably not a good time for it.

tbh it was going good until people started to realize that she is black and didn't like knowing that they found a black girl attractive. It happens every time a black woman that looks pretty is posted or talked about.

No time, is a good time. lol

Gaf out for blood cause Soulja Boy looks like Spiderman?

Londa said:

tbh it was going good until people started to realize that she is black and didn't like knowing that they found a black girl attractive
. It happens every time a black woman that looks pretty is posted or talked about.

No time, is a good time. lol

Gaf out for blood cause Soulja Boy looks like Spiderman?

It's them white genes. This is a REAL black woman in GAFs eyes. Everything else comes short.

1958333_f496.jpg

Londa said:

tbh it was going good until people started to realize that she is black and didn't like knowing that they found a black girl attractive. It happens every time a black woman that looks pretty is posted or talked about.

Check out the IMDB board of any black actress...same shit going on in nearly all of them.

SmokyDave

Londa said:
I think you're living out a self-fulfilling prophecy. All I've seen you post about lately is whether or not women are black enough according to 'GAF', as if somehow 'GAF' is a single magic race-grading entity. It's getting boring.

Lionheart1337 said:
It's them white genes. This is a REAL black woman in GAFs eyes. Everything else comes short.
Do you not count yourselves as members or something?

Londa

Banned
SmokyDave said:
I think you're living out a self-fulfilling prophecy. All I've seen you post about lately is whether or not women are black enough according to 'GAF', as if somehow 'GAF' is a single magic race-grading entity. It's getting boring.

Do you not count yourselves as members or something?
Then you aren't reading correctly cause I never asked if anyone was black or if they are black enough so you can shut that sob story up. If I say they are being stupid for asking this idiotic questions I'm doing nothing wrong. Its their fault for bringing it up.

Edit: just because I have an account doesn't mean I think or act like everyone that visits the site. Being a member doesn't make me forget what I believe in. Nore would I give it up just to fit in with members on a gaming forum. False internet fame isn't my thing.

FreeMufasa

I was so used to lurking this thread that by the time I became a member, I completely forgot I could post in it. Anyway, here goes.

- Where you're from- Somalia
- Where you live - England - London
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - I was born in the UK and I generally feel closer to British culture than anything else. Both my parents were born in Italy so not much Somali/African culture came through to me. The past year i've been trying to reconnect and learn about my heritage (Big thanks to Veidt for the info he's provided).

- Do you know your roots? - Yes. 100% Somali. Or so i'm told anyway. My mum's as light as a Western European so it raises a few eyebrows with me. I'll have to ask my grandmother about that lol.

- Your Age - 21
- Favorite musical genre - I listen to pretty much every genre, although at a certain time. A few months ago I was Reggae mad. Right now it's Garage and House.
- Your profession/major/career interest - Just finished Uni this summer and got my BSc in Economics. I'm hoping to get onto the JET programme for next year and teach English in Japan for a few years. Still not entirely sure on what I want to do.
- Your religious affiliation - Islam
- Hobbies - Cycling, exercising, painting, photography and video games. I started playing guitar last week and i'm enjoying that.

- Do you feel ostracized as a black nerd/dork? Charles Barkley once said that "there's nothing sadder than a black nerd". What do you think about those words, and while we're on the issue, what is gaf's opinion on the whole "act white" thing?

It was a little strange for me. I've played games/watched anime since I was young. By the time I reached teenage years I noticed how the nerds were harassed for their interests and decided to keep my hobby a secret. I was insecure as hell. Especially being black, there was an 'expectation' for me to act a certain way. You couldn't tell I was into that stuff by appearance and I decided to continue hanging with my idiot muscle head friends. By the time I reached 16, I realised how little I had in common with my friends and decided to be true to my self, make friends with the same interests. Problem was the nerds were so intimidated by me, meaning I couldnt hang with them.

17-18 were rough and I spent most of the time on my own, in the 'nobody gets me' phase. I finally decided to not give a fuck, be true to myself and the last three years have been the best times of my life. Made genuine friends and I don't feel as if I need to pretend i'm someone else.

So to answer the question, yes and no. Damn, I just realised how much I wrote =P

---

I have a question I'd like to ask to black US gaf (and the rest of the African dispora for that matter), have you ever been to Africa? Your experiences? if not do you plan to at some point?

Final question, to Dreams-Visions. Same Dreams from Gamespot system wars? If so, it's been a while.

Ducarmel

FreeMufasa said:
I have a question I'd like to ask to black US gaf (and the rest of the African dispora for that matter), have you ever been to Africa? Your experiences? if not do you plan to at some point?
Never been there myself, I actually have dreams moving there (or Haiti) to live the rest of my days.

Last summer my sister was in Ghana for 2 months for a public health research project, I was very jealous.

I went to Nigeria to visit some relatives. First we stayed in Abuja then a week in the village in my grandpa's house. It was...an interesting experience. Everyone spoke broken english so even without know igbo we could get around and understand most people

FreeMufasa said:
No, but my dad just got back from Rwanda & Senegal though. He and a friend were trying a help with a healthcare program there.

ikkemenx

Welcome FreeMufasa! Nice to see another Somali member on here :). Veidt's pretty good at keeping the Somali love going on here.

Black Spiderman: YES

Also spindashing's new avatar is tripping me out. I feel like he's someone else now.

Sup BCT. I meant to share this with you all sooner. This is a picture I sent to my mother showing the aftermath of my battle with the sun from awhile back. The funny thing is that this picture was taken a month after I quit that job. The lighting isn't that good and I had to hold the camera over my head to take the picture (it's the back of my neck), but you'll still get the point.

tansmall%252520%252528Small%252529.jpg

ikkemenx said:
Also spindashing's new avatar is tripping me out. I feel like he's someone else now.
evf3S.png

I'll probably go back to the old one, but I miss the animated version of it.

bgassassin said:
Sup BCT. I meant to share this with you all sooner. This is a picture I sent to my mother showing the aftermath of my battle with the sun from awhile back. The funny thing is that this picture was taken a month after I quit that job. The lighting isn't that good and I had to hold the camera over my head to take the picture (it's the back of my neck), but you'll still get the point.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-SGdE0xV6B5k/Tjys1iGcI5I/AAAAAAAAAEc/bAJTIwyqGAU/tansmall%252520%252528Small%252529.jpg[img][/quote]
Holy fuck, bro. =(

So there's this movie coming out called The Help about a white woman who wants to write about the black maids in her town imdb:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1454029/

Personally I hate these movies. Movies like this or Driving Miss Daisy, I hate seeing black people playing the roles of servants. Has anyone read the book that the film is based off? or gotten into an early screening? I was browsing around on the web and I didn't even realize that there was some backlash about it. One of the actresses in the movie responds to criticism:
http://jezebel.com/5828199/viola-davis-on-the-backlash-to-playing-a-maid?popular=true

Some of the things written actually made me rethink about some shit I hadn't noticed such as:
"playing a maid seems to be a rite of passage for black actresses, from Hattie McDaniel to Whoopi to Oprah — even today

Lebron

Ah, I know I'm late, but it appears they have a bi-racial(half black half Latino) Spiderman now? Miles Morales. I had no idea prior to hearing this guy rant about it at work lol.

spiderman-new-630_203533.jpg

Top Bottom