• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Maddness

spindashing said:
Every chance I get, I like to walk the opposite way of the walkway so that I won't be moving.

These things are the only chance I have of ever Moon Walking, so I do it all the time.

Also Hey! Also, I have a question for you ladies and gentlemen. Hopefully it's cool for me to ask.

So one of my best friends is from Barbados. Now I've never been so I don't know anything about Barbados other than what he tells me. But some of our other friends give him shit all the time because he's from there. They make it seem like he's not really a black guy (they are also black, but not from Barbados). I love hanging out with my friends, but they really know how to make me feel awkward in a car ride.

So what's the deal?

I swear some of the things you guys post makes me wanna hate white people--but then I remember my friends and the error of sweeping generalizations.

Maddness said:
These things are the only chance I have of ever Moon Walking, so I do it all the time.

Also Hey! Also, I have a question for you ladies and gentlemen. Hopefully it's cool for me to ask.

So one of my best friends is from Barbados. Now I've never been so I don't know anything about Barbados other than what he tells me. But some of our other friends give him shit all the time because he's from there. They make it seem like he's not really a black guy (they are also black, but not from Barbados). I love hanging out with my friends, but they really know how to make me feel awkward in a car ride.

So what's the deal?

There is no deal? from what you're saying it seems they're making fun of his nationality just like how white people make fun of Europeans for example.

Maddness

lightless_shado said:
There is no deal? from what you're saying it seems they're making fun of his nationality just like how white people make fun of Europeans for example.

Yea, you're probably right now that I think about it more. I'm an idiot.

Maddness said:
Yea, you're probably right now that I think about it more. I'm an idiot.
You're not an idiot, man. You asked a question and got an answer. We're one big happy family here, no need to self depreciate!

DragonKnight said:
I swear some of the things you guys post makes me wanna hate white people--but then I remember my friends and the error of sweeping generalizations.
Hell, some of the things posted here make me want to hate black people too.

It's amazing how the world we live in works.

Londa

Banned
DragonKnight said:

I really don't think the point of this thread is to get people to hate white people. However, why be blind to these real life subjects and situations? I rather be aware of this than be ill informed.

I always remember the later.

Maddness

spindashing said:
You're not an idiot, man. You asked a question and got an answer. We're one big happy family here, no need to self depreciate!

Hell, some of the things posted here make me want to hate black people too.

It's amazing how the world we live in works.

Haha. Thanks man. I was saying I'm an idiot more for not realizing the obvious than asking the question.

Definitely true about the world being a shitty place sometimes. Not that I think it's all doom and gloom, but we're definitely time and a couple Bill Pullman speeches from a better world.

I may stand alone here but from what I read or saw on the history channels we were much better people when we were oppressed

Lol, your friend must be joking if he thinks ignorant and stupid behavior wasn't happening then too. What we see on history channel and in history is at the end of the day just a snapshot of what's happening in the era, what would be considered normal behavior might never make it into the books because its not considered important. I remember reading Malcom X's biography and being struck by how much parallels could be drawn between the Harlem of his youth and the stereotypical depiction of black culture today.

Dabanton

A chance to re-use this image.

74001199.png

Lebron said:
Funny, I saw a whole bunch of random black wizards in Part 2. The overall minority showing has been pretty poor in the movies though.

They are scattered in the books, but Kingsley winds up as Minister of Magic. Kinda disappointed that didn't make it in the finale somewhere, like just a poster at the station or something, but whatevs.

Yeah, I've seen right-wingers make this "argument" before, but it's weird as hell coming from a black, college educated dude that I've actually interacted with in real life

Some strange shit. I'm pretty sure everyone would laugh them out of the office here.

magnificent83 said:
Lol, your friend must be joking if he thinks ignorant and stupid behavior wasn't happening then too. What we see on history channel and in history is at the end of the day just a snapshot of what's happening in the era, what would be considered normal behavior might never make it into the books because its not considered important. I remember reading Malcom X's biography and being struck by how much parallels could be drawn between the Harlem of his youth and the stereotypical depiction of black culture today.
Yeah right, I would have been killed years ago for my whooty relations.

I don't know what made me remember this but does it happen to anyone else? You'll be walking down the sidewalk or whatever and you'll see another black dude who you don't know and haven't seen before, and you'll look at each other for a second, and he'll nod and, almost as if not to be rude, you'll nod back.

My non-black friends have asked me why this happens and admittedly I don't know, but it's happened on a couple occasions. Enough times for me to remember it being a thing and not a one time occurrence

Baby Milo

Zoramon089 said:
I don't know what made me remember this but does it happen to anyone else? You'll be walking down the sidewalk or whatever and you'll see another black dude who you don't know and haven't seen before, and you'll look at each other for a second, and he'll nod and, almost as if not to be rude, you'll nod back.

My non-black friends have asked me why this happens and admittedly I don't know, but it's happened on a couple occasions. Enough times for me to remember it being a thing and not a one time occurrence
its always cool as hell when it happens though

Zoramon089 said:

It's either a nod or a mean mug that's exchanged, I've found.

Zoramon089 said:

I just thought it was more of an occurrence in places where black people are scarce. Didn't know it happened even in places where there are many black people.

Rhythmic

So has anybody in here seen this documentary before?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004X4O988/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I honestly think every black person needs to see this documentary. I had to watch it twice back to back to fully grasp everything since it just blew my mind the first time. First documentary on people of color that was actually about us and our achievements and history and not just about how we were slaves or how fucked up blacks are.

Seriously. This needs support. Don't care if you buy it or if you can find it by other means but I really think everybody in this thread needs to watch it.

Here is the trailer for it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3lABiHlOqw

Find a way to watch it. Seriously.

Here is another sneak peak clip from the documentary.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w56XPsFfPuk&NR=1

Mr.Fresh

Zoramon089 said:

Where I'm from its the same as saying what's up or "was good" to someone. Eventually u start start giving that person a hand shake and even become friends after that.

The Faceless Master said:
i need to post this on facebook.

Good idea, I just posted it. I doubt many people will watch it tho.

Brings up some very good points although I do think he just started rambling towards the end there.

Rhythmic said:
So has anybody in here seen this documentary before?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004X4O988/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I honestly think every black person needs to see this documentary. I had to watch it twice back to back to fully grasp everything since it just blew my mind the first time. First documentary on people of color that was actually about us and our achievements and history and not just about how we were slaves or how fucked up blacks are.

Seriously. This needs support. Don't care if you buy it or if you can find it by other means but I really think everybody in this thread needs to watch it.

Here is the trailer for it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3lABiHlOqw

Find a way to watch it. Seriously.

Here is another sneak peak clip from the documentary.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w56XPsFfPuk&NR=1

I haven't seen it before. That trailer was overdramatized as fuck though lol.

I'll definitely watch it and for people who are interested in learning about the history of Africa, check out BBC's lost kingdoms of Africa, and the lost libraries of timbuktu

Zoramon089 said:

It is a mystery :D i just picked it up over the years too..

I do that a lot and not with just black people either. I think it's just a "what's up" kind of gesture so I don't make a mistake and look and them funny and get shot.

lightless_shado said:
I just thought it was more of an occurrence in places where black people are scarce. Didn't know it happened even in places where there are many black people.

Well, I don't know if there are a lot of black people in Boston...

edit: Wiki says 22%, a decent amount

Londa

Banned
I'm so focus on where I'm going that I don't even look at anyone long enough to notice a nod. But the nod sounds like a male thing. When ever I have looked a a female they usually roll their eyes or ask me if I have a problem. lol

But then there was this one time when a lady gave me the creepiest smile that I had to leave my seat, only to find her following me to my new seat. I had to leave the damn car just to get her to leave me alone...

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
I've just realised how weird it is that I've worked with a French person in every single job I've ever had. So strange.
The majority of my team is French at my current job. Since they're the main branch in mainland Europe.

Greatest people in the world. A guy I work with hates being white. In fact, he jokes about how he married the blackest woman he could find, just so his daughter could come out black!.

Veidt said:
I've just realised how weird it is that I've worked with a French person in every single job I've ever had. So strange.
The majority of my team is French at my current job. Since they're the main branch in mainland Europe.

Greatest people in the world. A guy I work with hates being white. In fact, he jokes about how he married the blackest woman he could find, just so his daughter could come out black!.

French people have a pretty strong link with black people. Even in places like Montreal over here I hear there are many black people(mostly french Africans) living there. I think french and British people come into contact with black people more often than other European countries. Those are the only places in Europe I'm really interested in visiting

lightless_shado said:
French people have a pretty strong link with black people. Even in places like Montreal over here I hear there are many black people(mostly french Africans) living there. I think french and British people come into contact with black people more often than other European countries. Those are the only places in Europe I'm really interested in visiting
Nice Haitian community in Montreal too. =)

Dabanton

Black Republican said:
whats the history with german women loving black men?

Big bootys. :p

In all seriousness i think it was the US and British army bases that were dotted around Germany after WW2 that gave a lot of german women their first opportunity for meeting black men.

My dad who served said he had his pick when he was serving over there as many German girls had never seen black people before but they were really into the music etc.

Coming up to modern times i've always found german women to be the most open minded of all European women when it comes to interracial relationships. Doesn't faze them at all I've had three German girlfriends over the years all fantastic women and the sex! man oh man.

Good times.

Kamille

Lebron said:
Funny, I saw a whole bunch of random black wizards in Part 2. The overall minority showing has been pretty poor in the movies though.

I watched all of the movies in a row for the first time recently and I seem to recall the first or second movie hardly having any minorities. Then they seemed to start scattering a few blacks, indians, latinos...etc. into the cast after that. Almost like they suddenly became conscious of the lack of diversity. I could be recalling it wrong, but I do remember it being noticeable to me when I watched them back to back.

Top Bottom