• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

SoilBreak

Banned
His costume

newspideynologo.jpg

Tokubetsu said:
Reminds me of Ben Reilly's spidey suit and I liked Ben Reilly =)

He should've died a lot sooner. One of the worst Spidey stories ever written.

New Spidey isn't bad.

And shit like The Help can take a hike.

Tokubetsu

Boombloxer said:
He should've died a lot sooner. One of the worst Spidey stories ever written.

New Spidey isn't bad.

And shit like The Help can take a hike.

No sir, fuck you. Ben Reilly, when he took over for Peter Parker, was the shit. He wasn't a whiny ungrateful piece of shit like Parker was.

lightless_shado said:
So there's this movie coming out called The Help about a white woman who wants to write about the black maids in her town imdb:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1454029/

Personally I hate these movies. Movies like this or Driving Miss Daisy, I hate seeing black people playing the roles of servants. Has anyone read the book that the film is based off? or gotten into an early screening? I was browsing around on the web and I didn't even realize that there was some backlash about it. One of the actresses in the movie responds to criticism:
http://jezebel.com/5828199/viola-davis-on-the-backlash-to-playing-a-maid?popular=true

Some of the things written actually made me rethink about some shit I hadn't noticed such as:
"playing a maid seems to be a rite of passage for black actresses, from Hattie McDaniel to Whoopi to Oprah — even today

Paul Mooney

Measley

Lebron said:
Ah, I know I'm late, but it appears they have a bi-racial(half black half Latino) Spiderman now? Miles Morales. I had no idea prior to hearing this guy rant about it at work lol.

spiderman-new-630_203533.jpg

Latino and Hispanic aren't races, they're cultures.

The majority of people from Latin America and the Caribbean are mixtures of black African, White European, and Amerindians.

Beyond that, Marvel is clearly pandering to a minority audience. I heard that this new Spider-Man is also gay.

Measley said:

The majority of people from Latin America and the Caribbean are mixtures of black African, White European, and Amerindians.

Beyond that, Marvel is clearly pandering to a minority audience. I heard that this new Spider-Man is also gay.

Well, I guess rolling up as many minorities into one is easier than developing multiple characters...

SmokyDave said:
I think you're living out a self-fulfilling prophecy. All I've seen you post about lately is whether or not women are black enough according to 'GAF', as if somehow 'GAF' is a single magic race-grading entity. It's getting boring.

Do you not count yourselves as members or something?
The large majority of GAF is white and many share many of the same preconceived notions and ignorance. You can say I shouldn't group many posters together because not everyone thinks/acts the same but thread after thread after thread says otherwise.

SmokyDave

MWS Natural said:
The large majority of GAF is white and many share many of the same preconceived notions and ignorance. You can say I shouldn't group many posters together because not everyone thinks/acts the same but thread after thread after thread says otherwise.
I can't believe you can post stuff like this and not choke on the hypocrisy. You've more in common with the average racist than you'd like to admit, that's for sure.

ikkemenx

Measley said:

LMAO don't know if this is true, but I remember thinking something like, "shit, is he gay, too?". Gettin' all the minorities off the list in one go.

Tokubetsu said:
No sir, fuck you. Ben Reilly, when he took over for Peter Parker, was the shit. He wasn't a whiny ungrateful piece of shit like Parker was.

No, he was Peter's lesser, inferior counterpart in every way. Again, the day he went to Hell's Cobweb was a great one. Fuck him.

Paul Mooney is like a saint of this thread.

Edit: While I'm here, any Law and Order SVU fans here? Episode 22 of season 12 WATCH IT. If you don't watch SVU, you'll want to after that episode. Amazing.

Terrence Howard guest stars in the episode.

That's the LA crossover episode, right?

He was the best thing about that show, by far.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
im curious. why do you who like this idea of an interracial spider man see this as a good idea? am i the only one who feels insulted? its feels to me like its saying that black or latino characters cant work unless they have a popular title attached to them. and the sad part is that by what ive seen of minority characters, this seems to be truth

Satch

Banned
Parallax said:
im curious. why do you who like this idea of an interracial spider man see this as a good idea? am i the only one who feels insulted? its feels to me like its saying that black or latino characters cant work unless they have a popular title attached to them. and the sad part is that by what ive seen of minority characters, this seems to be truth
i dont feel any more insulted than i usually do as a female comic book reader

and it is the truth - the audience for black characters with leading roles just isn't there. even worse, superheroes in general don't get popular anymore unless attached to an already popular hero, not just minorities.

but yeah, when McDuffie spoke about that "Rule of Three" thing, he sure as hell wasn't talking out of his ass.

SmokyDave said:
I can't believe you can post stuff like this and not choke on the hypocrisy. You've more in common with the average racist than you'd like to admit, that's for sure.

I'm not saying I agree with him but an ASTOUNDING number of people still don't realize that black people vary in skin tone...if they're light they must be mixed to them

SmokyDave said:
Expected reply is expected. Funny how you are always in those same threads telling shitty jokes while ignoring all of ignorance in them.

Parallax said:

It's a fairly neutral move. Spider-Man is an idea about bravery and responsibility and his race doesn't really contribute much, if anything to his character one way or the other.

On the one hand, the new Spider-Man being black IS an attempt by Marvel to stir the pot up a little and offend the sensibility of its base.
On the other hand, it doesn't really matter if Spider-Man is black, white, asian or any other race. So long as he's a kid from New York who finds himself confronted by his own power and learns to be brave and responsible as a result, and also he can stick to walls, it's a Spider-man story.

I think people sometimes get caught up in the idea that something is being taken away from them. What they don't realize is that they love Peter Parker, not his whiteness.
Unfortunately, now Ultimate Peter Parker is dead, so let's give the new kid a whack at it. Maybe he's interesting and you'll love him too.

Parallax

Satchwar said:
i dont feel any more insulted than i usually do as a female comic book reader

and it is the truth - the audience for black characters with leading roles just isn't there. even worse, superheroes in general don't get popular anymore unless attached to an already popular hero, not just minorities.

but yeah, when McDuffie spoke about that "Rule of Three" thing, he sure as hell wasn't talking out of his ass.

mcduffie was sadly well aware of the state of comics. and some of the responses about his initial picks for his jl title were very shocking. mainly because i didnt know comic book fans thought that way. but the state of black characters in comics is overall sad. i cant think of 5 black superheroes, but unfortunately, i know the reason for that one

KidGalactus said:
It's a fairly neutral move. Spider-Man is an idea about bravery and responsibility and his race doesn't really contribute much, if anything to his character one way or the other.

On the one hand, the new Spider-Man being black IS an attempt by Marvel to stir the pot up a little and offend the sensibility of its base.
On the other hand, it doesn't really matter if Spider-Man is black, white, asian or any other race. So long as he's a kid from New York who finds himself confronted by his own power and learns to be brave and responsible as a result, and also he can stick to walls, it's a Spider-man story.

I think people sometimes get caught up in the idea that something is being taken away from them. What they don't realize is that they love Peter Parker, not his whiteness.
Unfortunately, now Ultimate Peter Parker is dead, so let's give the new kid a whack at it. Maybe he's interesting and you'll love him too.

why does he have to be from new york? why does he have to learn about power and responsibility? despite what people think, spider man is nothing more than an identity. the lessons and personality are all that of peter parker himself. whats the point of changing the persona of a character if to have them fall into the same tropes as the character that preceeded him? the sad fact of this is if miles was in a different costume unrelated to any of this, no one would give a damn, but because hes taking the place of a popularized white character this is a good thing. im not saying miles wont be a good character(seeing as how i havent been able to read anything involved) but i would rather he be a different character. but then again, the ultimate universe is a gigantic storyline failure, so i highly doubt i would be reading much involved with miles.

Boombloxer said:
No, he was Peter's lesser, inferior counterpart in every way. Again, the day he went to Hell's Cobweb was a great one. Fuck him.

That's the LA crossover episode, right?

He was the best thing about that show, by far.

I think he's actually showed up multiple times through the season. The old DA Kara Novak(totally forgot the actor's name that plays her) also shows up. I don't want to spoil the plot, but I suggest you guys definitely check out the episode.

Parallax said:
mcduffie was sadly well aware of the state of comics. and some of the responses about his initial picks for his jl title were very shocking. mainly because i didnt know comic book fans thought that way. but the state of black characters in comics is overall sad. i cant think of 5 black superheroes, but unfortunately, i know the reason for that one

why does he have to be from new york? why does he have to learn about power and responsibility? despite what people think, spider man is nothing more than an identity. the lessons and personality are all that of peter parker himself. whats the point of changing the persona of a character if to have them fall into the same tropes as the character that preceeded him? the sad fact of this is if miles was in a different costume unrelated to any of this, no one would give a damn, but because hes taking the place of a popularized white character this is a good thing. im not saying miles wont be a good character(seeing as how i havent been able to read anything involved) but i would rather he be a different character. but then again, the ultimate universe is a gigantic storyline failure, so i highly doubt i would be reading much involved with miles.

Because, little brother, those are the themes of Spider-man. Those are the things that Spider-man is about.

Miles Morales will deal with these things in his own way, I'm sure, but he will deal with them just the same.

Sure, there are some social issue surrounding the dearth of popular black super heroes and it's sad that there is, but the answer to rectifying that is not to whine about it, but to create compelling black characters, who have defining traits other than being black.

Also, you must not be thinking very hard. I can think of more than five black superheroes from Marvel alone.

Parallax

KidGalactus said:
Because, little brother, those are the themes of Spider-man. Those are the things that Spider-man is about.

Miles Morales will deal with these things in his own way, I'm sure, but he will deal with them just the same.

Sure, there are some social issue surrounding the dearth of popular black super heroes and it's sad that there is, but the answer to rectifying that is not to whine about it, but to create compelling black characters, who have defining traits other than being black.

Also, you must not be thinking very hard. I can think of more than five black superheroes from Marvel alone.

yeah, the superheroes thing was an error. i meant supervillians.

and whats with the little brother thing?

Parallax said:

I don't see it that way considering they have other well known characters of color. I just see it as a shake up to the Spiderman character. Do you feel the same way about John Stewart?

spindashing said:
Holy fuck, bro. =(

Yeah and it wasn't like I was in it everyday either. My face is finally trying to lighten up though.

Londa

Banned
Zoramon089 said:
I'm not saying I agree with him but an ASTOUNDING number of people still don't realize that black people vary in skin tone...if they're light they must be mixed to them
Yep, I wonder if they are even exposed to black people where they reside. I also think its odd when a black person tries to educate them they insist that they know better.

Parallax

bgassassin said:
I don't see it that way considering they have other well known characters of color. I just see it as a shake up to the Spiderman character. Do you feel the same way about John Stewart?

the green lantern corp is a different matter altogether. he exists alongside hal, kyle, guy and many other green lanterns. and even then, its not like hal was the first green lantern anyway. if there was a spider man corps, i wouldnt have a problem with this, but this is obvious sensationalism.

Parallax said:
yeah, the superheroes thing was an error. i meant supervillians.

and whats with the little brother thing?

I don't think he meant anything by it. He probably thinks he's older than most of us. :p

The thing that actually surprises me about this is the fact that he's replacing an existing character without necessarily being a new character. When there was a black Captain America he wasn't really known as 'Captain America'( but to be honest the only good thing to come out of that small series was Patriot)

See Patriot for all intents and purposes is a black Captain America, but he's his own character with his own name. Same thing with white tiger(latin black panther) I don't understand why marvel couldn't try that with him.

In fact, there's a character that has similar powers to spider man, but she's a latina. I don't think she has her own series. The point is, marvel tends to create minority versions of existing characters but they make them unique, so I guess you could be right when you say that this is just some kind of a publicity stunt.

EDIT: While I'm here, is anyone still interested in renovating the front page? I was thinking we could use the same logo as the one used by the google+ and facebook group page, but instead make it a collage of the faces of many great black people and aspects of black culture.

sort of like this:
http://www.shapecollage.com/collages/collage-apple.jpg

except with the images of well known black people and products of black culture

Parallax said:
the green lantern corp is a different matter altogether. he exists alongside hal, kyle, guy and many other green lanterns. and even then, its not like hal was the first green lantern anyway. if there was a spider man corps, i wouldnt have a problem with this, but this is obvious sensationalism.

Ok, that helps me see better how you view it. I think that with characters like Spawn, Blade, and Black Panther, we've seen them being able to stand on their own as original characters.

leadbelly

Banned
Zoramon089 said:

To be fair, a lot of Sub-Saharan Africans you see are naturally quite dark-skinned. I am mixed race, and have tended to see light-skinned Africans as having some admixture. Some of my own black family are of the 'high yellow' skin tone and their father was white. My family came from Jamaica though where very few are actually pure. I guess this confuses the issue somewhat. I suppose it is ignorance on my part a little, but understandable considering that is generally the case in the Caribbean and parts of South America. I will stress this has nothing to do with how they are classed. They are generally classed as black.

There certainly are ethnic groups within Sub-Saharan Africa that are of the yellow skin variety. The Shinasha are mentioned.

Many high yellows are as light skinned as Europeans, and even lighter than some Europeans. Their specific skin hue is generally caused by a mixture of European ancestry. In other cases, some African-descending individuals simply have naturally lighter-skinned genes than most other Africans, without biracial admixturing.[1] One ethnic group for which this is the case are the Shinasha of western Ethiopia, which led one early explorer to theorize that they were evidence of a "yellow race" who were the original inhabitants of this part of Africa.[2] Scientific studies conclude natural human skin color diversity is highest in black/sub-saharan African populations therefore many blacks/sub-saharan Africans or people of sub saharan African descent (blacks) are naturally light skinned.

Ovid

Figured I through this out there for discussion.

An Interracial Fix for Black Marriage
"At this point in my life," says Audrey, age 39, "I thought I'd be married with children." A native of southeast Washington, D.C., and the child of parents who are approaching their 50th wedding anniversary, Audrey seems like the proverbial "good catch"—smart, funny, well-educated, attractive.

Audrey earns a good living, too, with an income from management consulting that far surpasses what her parents ever made. Her social life is busy as well, filled with family, friends and church.

What Audrey lacks is a husband. As she told me, sitting at a restaurant in the fashionable Dupont Circle neighborhood of the nation's capital, "I'm trying to get to a point where I accept that marriage may never happen for me."

Audrey belongs to the most unmarried group of people in the U.S.: black women. Nearly 70% of black women are unmarried, and the racial gap in marriage spans the socioeconomic spectrum, from the urban poor to well-off suburban professionals. Three in 10 college-educated black women haven't married by age 40; their white peers are less than half as likely to have remained unwed.

What explains this marriage gap? As a black man, my interest in the issue is more than academic. I've looked at all the studies—the history, the social science, the government data—and I've spent a year traveling the country interviewing scores of professional black women. In exchange for my promise to conceal their identities (in part by using pseudonyms, as I've done here), they shared with me their most personal experiences and desires in relation to marriage and family.

I came away convinced of two facts: Black women confront the worst relationship market of any group because of economic and cultural forces that are not of their own making; and they have needlessly worsened their situation by limiting themselves to black men. I also arrived at a startling conclusion: Black women can best promote black marriage by opening themselves to relationships with men of other races.

Audrey and other black women confront a social scene in which desirable black men are scarce.

Part of the problem is incarceration. More than two million men are now imprisoned in the U.S., and roughly 40% of them are African-American. At any given time, more than 10% of black men in their 20s or 30s—prime marrying ages—are in jail or prison.

Educationally, black men also lag. There are roughly 1.4 million black women now in college, compared to just 900,000 black men. By graduation, black women outnumber men 2-to-1. Among graduate-school students, in 2008 there were 125,000 African-American women but only 58,000 African-American men. That same year, black women received more than three out of every five law or medical degrees awarded to African-Americans.

More at the jump

wsj.com

Bay Maximus said:
Could you expound upon this?

I think he's implying that it would be basically "giving up" on black men if black women decided that if they can't find a black man, they'll just date a white man or a man from any other ethnicity.

But the problem is, that it can be said that most people from other ethnicities aren't even interested in black women. I know there are charts out there with data from other sources, but even here on GAF threads about black women are well...messy.

leadbelly said:
To be fair, a lot of Sub-Saharan Africans you see are naturally quite dark-skinned. I am mixed race, and have tended to see light-skinned Africans as having some admixture. Some of my own black family are of the 'high yellow' skin tone and their father was white. My family came from Jamaica though where very few are actually pure. I guess this confuses the issue somewhat. I suppose it is ignorance on my part a little, but understandable considering that is generally the case in the Caribbean and parts of South America. I will stress this has nothing to do with how they are classed. They are generally classed as black.

There certainly are ethnic groups within Sub-Saharan Africa that are of the yellow skin variety. The Shinasha are mentioned.

Yeah, but a lot of western African people can be light skinned as well without having any mixed ancestry in them. I'm Nigerian and I'm pretty light (like Chris Brown color) and when I went there I saw people as light as me

SSJ1Goku

Banned
Pretty sure I already said this, but the reason on-point black men are not choosing black women is the same reason other races of men don't choose black women. This idea that lets say white guys are going to accept BW and all their negative traits and behavior is stupid. Notice how in the article once again *rolls eyes* they never asked an on-point BM, "Hey brotha why don't choose BW."

Satch

Banned
SSJ1Goku said:
Pretty sure I already said this, but the reason on-point black men are not choosing black women is the same reason other races of men don't choose black women. This idea that lets say white guys are going to accept BW and all their negative traits and behavior is stupid. Notice how in the article once again *rolls eyes* they never asked an on-point BM, "Hey brotha why don't choose BW."
I'm not too sure you read the article that you linked.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. Care to clarify? (Though I know where this is going. e_e)

Parallax

Satchwar said:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. Care to clarify? (Though I know where this is going. e_e)

yeah me too. hopefully it doesnt get ugly. but we tend to be civil, so it should be good.

SSJ1Goku

Banned
Satchwar said:
I'm not too sure you read the article that you linked.

I'm not sure what part you did not understand. If the majority of BW are overweight or obese and BM are not down with that then trying to date outside the race is not going to fix BW's "problem" because you can sure as hell believe that other races of men are not going to put up with that. If the majority of BW were raised in households with just mom and they don't know how to treat a man or believe they need to be "strong and independant" then dating outside is not going to be an option. And then there is the issue of generational wealth and legacy that is much more important in other communities. Hell in the article there are BW who just want to keep it black for that very reason but for some reason they never think that it would be an issue on the otherside of the fence.

EDIT: I guess I will go ahead and shoehorn in here kids out of wedlock and atittude as two other issues that BW have. All of the above are the main reasons that BW are not being chosen. This is why BM with their heads screwed on straight have no problem jumping the fence, because the things that they want in a woman are more normal in other communities.

EDIT2: If you are a great wonderful BW with none of the above problems then you STILL have to deal with BW's fucked up reputation.

Zoramon089 said:
Yeah, but a lot of western African people can be light skinned as well without having any mixed ancestry in them. I'm Nigerian and I'm pretty light (like Chris Brown color) and when I went there I saw people as light as me

Yeah we range in various tones over in Nigeria, especially those in the north. Much of my family is pretty light skinned. I was watching a documentary about Sudan and they had an aspect where they were talking about Arabs living there, the Arabs were darker than me and I'd say I'm the same shade as Idris Elba lol

We have all shades in Africa, just like how Asians come in different shades and white people can range from pale to very tan.

Veidt said:
Shado, are you Hausa?

I honestly don't know, but I speak bits of the language and can understand it.

My Father is Fulani and according to my mother that makes me Fulani, my mother belongs to some obscure clan that isn't even listed in wikipedia. People on my dad's side can speak the Fula language, but I can't.

For those curious on what Fulani people look like:
link

Bonus:
Our former president was a Fulani man.
Nigerian_President_Umaru_Yaradua.jpg

We have it set up so that a member of one ethnic group must hold the presidency at least once every 20 years and he should have someone from another major ethnic group in his cabinet.

Satch

Banned
SSJ1Goku said:
I'm not sure what part you did not understand? If the majority of BW are overweight or obese and BM are not down with that then dating outside the race is not going to fix BW's "problem." If the majority of BW were raised in households with just mom and they don't know how to treat a man or believe they need to be "strong and independant" then dating outside is not going to be an option. And then there is the issue of generational wealth and legacy that is much more important in other communities. Hell in the article there are BW who just want to keep it black for that very reason but for some reason they never think that it would be an issue on the otherside of the fence.
The article states that many of the interviewed white men respond to black women the way that they do because of limited exposure to black women and callously perpetuated stereotypes that harm the image of black women as a whole.

One of the men interviewed even states that the only way he'd see a black woman as attractive is if she had typically white or asian features, and spoke as a white or asian woman does.

I think you should read the comments section of the article you linked, because some of the people leaving feedback managed to further expand on those points. I'm not sure if you realize that there's more to all of this than you'd like to give credit to, and I'm also not sure of whether or not you're open to that being the case.

Top Bottom