• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

ikkemenx

Parallax said:
untalented person is popular because they are trying to be different? shocker. her candle will burn out soon enough

I just realized her name was "creation". Sheesh, I read it like "kree-shawn" or something...

G-Fex

Bay Maximus said:
Hollly ish! I knew Kreayshawn was a talentless hack, I didn't know she was this bad. It honestly gets no worse than this.

EDIT: Also, make sure to listen to the second half (when she's out of written stuff). There are no words....

What is this? I don't even..

LOL, I don't listen to that shit, but I had been announcing it as "CRAY-SHAWN" in my head, and never really cared to ask myself why someone would call themselves that.

"Creation" makes sense I guess.

ikkemenx said:
I just realized her name was "creation". Sheesh, I read it like "kree-shawn" or something...
WHAT THE FUCK
Y0RZm.gif

G-Fex said:
Is uh...she a actual singer...?

She's from youtube or something right?

Right?

She's affiliated with some indie rappers that portions of GAF loves like lil'b. We had a discussion about her a few pages back, personally I don't like her at all. But I'm in no position to tell people what they should or should not like.

I'm surprised at the amount of minds being blown. I thought it was a clever or perhaps deliberate misspelling of 'creation'

Satch

Banned
Does anybody here listen to YahZarah?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Almdz5TPok
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wk1ObAQpV4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-WWCi1kFtE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78knidd1qLE

'The Help' Needs No Help: Midweek $5.5+M

WEDNESDAY PM UPDATE: The DreamWorks pic based on the bestselling book could hit $30M for its first 5 days but will certainly make the $25M which distributor Disney is predicting with its 'A+' CinemaScore despite a crowded weekend coming. My sources say Wednesday's opening take is ranging from $5.5M to a high of $6M from 2,511 theaters.

Hollywood has been likening The Help to Driving Miss Daisy which, although platformed at the start of its release, went on to earn a staggering $100M at the domestic box office and win the Best Picture Oscar with a similar mix of racial comedy and period drama and stellar casting.

The Help might end up as a sleeper hit.........

rJb75.gif

Air

Banned
lightless_shado said:
She's affiliated with some indie rappers that portions of GAF loves like lil'b. We had a discussion about her a few pages back, personally I don't like her at all. But I'm in no position to tell people what they should or should not like.

I'm surprised at the amount of minds being blown. I thought it was a clever or perhaps deliberate misspelling of 'creation'

Its just that I wasn't expecting something so novel from her

Londa

Banned
Air said:
Its just that I wasn't expecting something so novel from her

Now I'm wondering what the meaning behind being named creation is. Someone must interview her and ask her that. lol

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
ikkemenx said:

... I did too, mang. :(

As for the jazz question, you should also look up Charles Mingus, Thelonious Monk, Bud Powell, and Duke Ellington. That gives you a decent range of jazz, since it can be all over the place. For instance, I'm one of those folks who doesn't really like Miles Davis, because his style sounds disjointed, and just crazy. Don't get me wrong, his talent is angelic, and his ability to flow around beats and improvise on the fly is probably not matched. However, when I'm listening to enjoy, as opposed to listening to learn, he's not my blend of tea.

Bay Maximus said:
Hollly ish! I knew Kreayshawn was a talentless hack, I didn't know she was this bad. It honestly gets no worse than this.

EDIT: Also, make sure to listen to the second half (when she's out of written stuff). There are no words....
I'm genuinely upset this chick is getting radio time.

the fuck. who is investing in her, how and why. My little brother needs ta eat and he actually has talent.

Kitschkraft said:
'The Help' Needs No Help: Midweek $5.5+M

The Help might end up as a sleeper hit.........

rJb75.gif

SMH. Just like how most black male actors seems to need to take a role where he is humiliated, the same seems to go for females too. I'm sick and fucking tired of seeing my people playing maids and happy, sassy servants or some sort of other bullshit. I caught it on entertainment tonight as I was flipping channels and when I heard that it was getting Oscar buzz I shook my head in absolute disbelief.

But maybe I'm being unfair, there are a couple of people here that said they planned to see it. Maybe my outrage isn't justified until I read their thoughts.

lightless_shado said:
But maybe I'm being unfair, there are a couple of people here that said they planned to see it. Maybe my outrage isn't justified until I read their thoughts.

Will write a full review tonight after I see it or early tomorrow.
Probably tomorrow

Londa

Banned
Bay Maximus said:
Will write a full review tonight after I see it or early tomorrow.
Probably tomorrow

I'll be interested in reading your review. I don't know much about the movie but the fact that its about black maid's turned me off from it. :/

ikkemenx

Londa said:
I'll be interested in reading your review. I don't know much about the movie but the fact that its about black maid turned me off from it. :/

Same LOL, I was at the theatre and saw a big poster with a black lady in a maid outfit, read the title, and frowned.

Lebron

Dreams-Visions said:
ugh. I heard about this movie getting panned, but you know black folk love to support movies about black folk, even if they're insultingly bad.
There's a Perry joke hidden somewhere in there.

What the hell is with all this hate for The Help? Do yourselves a favor and watch it. I saw it last night and it was good.

And what do you guys think its about really? If y'all are thinking Tyler Perry-esque black movies then you are dead wrong.

Dead Man said:
Those complaining about The Help, have any of you read the book?

ChocolateCupcakes said:
What the hell is with all this hate for The Help? Do yourselves a favor and watch it. I saw it last night and it was good.

And what do you guys think its about really? If y'all are thinking Tyler Perry-esque black movies then you are dead wrong.

I already had asked earlier if anyone who has read the book would speak up, nobody did :/

My problem with movies like The Help and Driving Miss Daisy isn't so much what happens in there, as it is the imagery. I watch the commercials and I see these servants giggling along like they have no problem with being servants/ thinking that they're equal with their employers and I just hate that. I hate seeing that imagery of the black servant who doesn't seem to have that much of a problem with being a servant and if he or she does, it doesn't seem to be the impetus of the movie, and rather it seems like the master and servant are just getting along and having a good time and there isn't enough focus given on the sheer anger that must be flowing through the servant who has to put up a front so that they don't lose their jobs or something. I don't think that female black actors should still be playing mammy type characters in this day and age. Its the 21st century and I just feel that it needs to stop.

All I'm going off of is the trailers I've seen which make it seem like a comedy with elements of drama thrown in, no scenes of anyone actually trying to fight along side the servants telling them that they deserve equality or anything like that. Just scenes of the servants laughing along with their white bosses and other servants, with occasional cuts to a sad maid who seems to remember that she lives in poverty and in a time of inequality as soon as she heads to her own house.

Feel free to tell me to shut my face though because I haven't seen the film. The in-depth reviews from fellow posters here who have seen it will either confirm what I was thinking or encourage me to see the film. But the way I see it, the only thing that seperates this film from a Tyler Perry production is that it humiliates black people in the past rather than the present and is written by white people.

Londa

Banned
Lebron said:
Diana is class, this is some two bit hussy.

like how is her weave standing up like that? It defies gravity.

lightless_shado said:
I watch the commercials and I see these servants giggling along like they have no problem with being servants/ thinking that they're equal with their employers and I just hate that. I hate seeing that imagery of the black servant who doesn't seem to have that much of a problem with being a servant and if he or she does, it doesn't seem to be the impetus of the movie, and rather it seems like the master and servant are just getting along and having a good time and there isn't enough focus given on the sheer anger that must be flowing through the servant who has to put up a front so that they don't lose their jobs or something. I don't think that female black actors should still be playing mammy type characters in this day and age. Its the 21st century and I just feel that it needs to stop.

All I'm going off of is the trailers I've seen which make it seem like a comedy with elements of drama thrown in, no scenes of anyone actually trying to fight along side the servants telling them that they deserve equality or anything like that. Just scenes of the servants laughing along with their white bosses and other servants, with occasional cuts to a sad maid who seems to remember that she lives in poverty and in a time of inequality as soon as she heads to her own house.

Everything said here I agree with. wow good job.

ChocolateCupcakes said:

There is so much I could say about it.

Short version : This summer has seen a damned black drought in Hollywood...we finally show up in a movie and it's fucking maids, and happy maids at that! Fuck me.

I've actually never seen a Tyler Perry movie...avoiding him like the plague. But I'll never see this either, so whatever I guess.

Dead Man

lightless_shado said:
I already had asked earlier if anyone who has read the book would speak up, nobody did :/

My problem with movies like The Help and Driving Miss Daisy isn't so much what happens in there, as it is the imagery. I watch the commercials and I see these servants giggling along like they have no problem with being servants/ thinking that they're equal with their employers and I just hate that. I hate seeing that imagery of the black servant who doesn't seem to have that much of a problem with being a servant and if he or she does, it doesn't seem to be the impetus of the movie, and rather it seems like the master and servant are just getting along and having a good time and there isn't enough focus given on the sheer anger that must be flowing through the servant who has to put up a front so that they don't lose their jobs or something. I don't think that female black actors should still be playing mammy type characters in this day and age. Its the 21st century and I just feel that it needs to stop.

Feel free to tell me to shut my face though because I haven't seen the film. The in-depth reviews from fellow posters here who have seen it will either confirm what I was thinking or encourage me to see the film. But the way I see it, the only thing that seperates this film from a Tyler Perry production is that it humiliates black people in the past rather than the present and is written by white people.
I haven't seen the movie, or even the trailer, just to get that out of the way. I also have only skimmed the book, to get that out of the way. But it is hardly a glossing over of issues, featuring people only too happy to serve. Yes, lots of the time the people in it are happy, because it is basically a emotionally cliched piece of writing with about as much subtlety as a hammer. So people are very happy, very sad, very melancholy, etc. I don't want to go into it too much, since I am not black, and have not seen any footage of the film. But the reviews for the book may provide some insight as to why I don't understand the hate for the movie, unless they have changed it dramatically:

Publishers weekly
What perfect timing for this optimistic, uplifting debut novel (and maiden publication of Amy Einhorn's new imprint) set during the nascent civil rights movement in Jackson, Miss., where black women were trusted to raise white children but not to polish the household silver. Eugenia "Skeeter" Phelan is just home from college in 1962, and, anxious to become a writer, is advised to hone her chops by writing "about what disturbs you." The budding social activist begins to collect the stories of the black women on whom the country club sets relies--and mistrusts--enlisting the help of Aibileen, a maid who's raised 17 children, and Aibileen's best friend Minny, who's found herself unemployed more than a few times after mouthing off to her white employers. The book Skeeter puts together based on their stories is scathing and shocking, bringing pride and hope to the black community, while giving Skeeter the courage to break down her personal boundaries and pursue her dreams.
USA Today:
"Thought-provoking...[Stockett's] pitch-perfect depiction of a country's gradual path toward integration will pull readers into a compelling story that doubles as a portrait of a country struggling with racial issues.

Ignoring the gushing over what I think is a very mediocre piece of work in terms of writing, the story itself seems far from what people are describing the movie as.

Londa

Banned
Heh, I almost could predict that someone white or let's just say "not black" would post a postitive review as to why the movie shouldn't be wrong or offensive to blacks or users in this thread.

Let me ask you this, if they made a movie with happy Jews in a concentration camp and Jews found it to be rubbish, would you still do what you just did?

Dead Man

Londa said:
Heh, I almost could predict that someone white or let's just say "not black" would post a postitive review as to why the movie shouldn't be wrong or offensive to blacks or users in this thread.

Let me ask you this, if they made a movie with happy Jews in a concentration camp and Jews found it to be rubbish, would you still do what you just did?
Bloody hell you are boring. What did I just do?

Edit: Until you have seen the film, I would suggest you calm down a bit. I also never said it couldn't be offensive, and was specifically talking about the book. You just love being offended so much you don't even read others posts.

Top Bottom