• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Mr. Patch said:
I think I saw that scene where Precious steals some fried chicken when I watched the Oscars one year. From that moment, I vowed to NEVER watch the damn movie.
the whole film is cringe-worthy, ultra manipulative garbage with some decent acting. its entire focus is eliciting shock, horror, contempt,revulsion and sometimes pity from the viewer by simply assaulting you with a one vile scenario after another. it's basically a propaganda film. as I said, this director openly admitted he had a bone to pick with urban black america.

Satchwar said:
That movie where she took in the homeless boy?

What was so bad about it? Wasn't it based on a true story?

(I've never seen it)
She took in a teen boy who had absolutely abysmal test scores and turned him into a future college football player. But it was mostly "white person helps out dumb black kid so he can become better". At least that's all I could get from it.

ZephyrFate said:
She took in a teen boy who had absolutely abysmal test scores and turned him into a future college football player. But it was mostly "white person helps out dumb black kid so he can become better". At least that's all I could get from it.
Not to mention the black kid came off as borderline retarded in the movie, which is not the case in real life. It just rubbed me the wrong way.

Londa

Banned
Mr. Patch said:
I think I saw that scene where Precious steals some fried chicken when I watched the Oscars one year. From that moment, I vowed to NEVER watch the damn movie.

haha wow, I can't believe that these actors are willing to play these roles.

Tokubetsu

Londa said:

It's like the whole thing Dave Chappelle was saying how every male black actor has to dress up as a woman at some point.

Weekend Box Office: 'Apes' Still Mighty #1, 'The Help' Strong #2, 'Final Destination' #3, '30 Minutes Or Less' #5, 'Glee 3D' Feeble #6

2. The Help (DreamWorks/Disney) NEW (Wed opening) [2,534 Theaters]
Friday $7.6M, Saturday $9.7M, Weekend $24.8M, Cume $34.7M

People are so disappointing.

Londa said:

I try and emphasize, hard as it is. Viola is a very talented actress, but she's a 45 yr old dark skinned black woman....what can you say? It's difficult to imagine being in her shoes. I almost feel like "the acting bug" is a damned brown recluse spider assault if you're black, lol.

Now something like Skank Robbers pisses me off good....2 oscar winners, loads of money between the 3 stars....they not only settle for this filth but actually are making it themselves. Fuck.Me.

Londa said:

In the case of Gabourey Sidibe playing Precious, of course she's willing to play the role. Reality is, as a heavy set dark skinned girl, Gabourey may never see such an opportunity again; a life changing opportunity that can change her and her family's life and even lead to other opportunities. So in the case of Gabourey and other's in similar situations, how can you blame them for wanting to take on these roles?

DominoKid

Londa said:

at the end of the day, people gotta eat right?

everybody has a price and getting work ain't easy for black actresses.

Kreed

Kitschkraft said:
Now something like Skank Robbers pisses me off good....2 oscar winners, loads of money between the 3 stars....they not only settle for this filth but actually are making it themselves. Fuck.Me.

Wow, I thought that movie was a bad rumor...smh. I wonder if Eddie Murphy and Tyler Perry will also be in this?

Londa

Banned
DominoKid said:
at the end of the day, people gotta eat right?

everybody has a price and getting work ain't easy for black actresses.

I don't get the concept of degrading yourself for money. So I will never understand that mindset.

as for the Skank Robbers film:
They (the actors) pretend that its all for the Lolz but in reality there will be people that take what happens in the film as actual black culture in what black females actually act like. This is why we get so many damn "is she black?" threads or debates on if someone is 100% black. Then we have the two users that come in all the time stating why they hate black women and a lot of the complains that they have are highlighted in films like Skank Robbers.

As for the actors in the film Skank Robbers, they are been dead to me for a long time. Jamie Fox is a hack and will do almost anything for money. Halle Berry can't act and only likes to expose her body, now a day. As for the last actor.... who is Martin Lawerance, he has always made fun of black women in everything he has done on the screen. I'm not shocked one bit. lol

Measley

Kitschkraft said:
There is so much I could say about it.

Short version : This summer has seen a damned black drought in Hollywood...we finally show up in a movie and it's fucking maids, and happy maids at that! Fuck me.

I've actually never seen a Tyler Perry movie...avoiding him like the plague. But I'll never see this either, so whatever I guess.

How could you forget this;

2011317221012289232982855.jpg

It came out in the last week of April, and was for all intents and purposes, a summer film.

Attack the Block, its out in limited release.
Inner city kids in London have to fight off aliens, sounds silly but its sooo good. Its pretty much my movie of the summer. Most fun I had at the theaters this summer.

Measley

magnificent83 said:
Attack the Block, its out in limited release.
Inner city kids in London have to fight off aliens, sounds silly but its sooo good. Its pretty much my movie of the summer. Most fun I had at the theaters this summer.

Oh, I thought you were trying to be funny or something.

Sorry about the rudeness in my earlier post.

Measley said:
Oh, I thought you were trying to be funny or something.

Sorry about the rudeness in my earlier post.

No worries, just doing my part to spread the word about the movie.
Ironically, a lot of the London Estate subculture that makes the movie so good, is exactly whats being blamed for the London riots.

a bit random, but I swear to god nothing suits my weekday afternoons better than A Tribe Called Quest

god I love jazz rap

Now I gotta scat and get mine, underline

harSon

Banned
Kitschkraft said:
Weekend Box Office: 'Apes' Still Mighty #1, 'The Help' Strong #2, 'Final Destination' #3, '30 Minutes Or Less' #5, 'Glee 3D' Feeble #6

People are so disappointing.

I try and emphasize, hard as it is. Viola is a very talented actress, but she's a 45 yr old dark skinned black woman....what can you say? It's difficult to imagine being in her shoes. I almost feel like "the acting bug" is a damned brown recluse spider assault if you're black, lol.

It pains me to say, but I'm probably going to be there Day 1 :D

I have a harmless question for black folks.

Why do you guys and ladies go to a club, shine the ride up real nice, dressed to the nines, drink expensive drinks and then take a picture in front of a tacky, airbrushed mural which usually includes a flashy car, dead rapper, money or a skyline?

Whats wrong with the natural background scenery? I see these pics alllllllll the time on my facebook of people dressed up all nice and looking sharp and then they are posed in front of a cartoon and it makes what could be a nice picture look awful.

SlackAdjuster said:

Why do [some of ]you guys and ladies[in my area] go to a club, shine the ride up real nice, dressed to the nines, drink expensive drinks and then take a picture in front of a tacky, airbrushed mural which usually includes a flashy car, dead rapper, money or a skyline?

Whats wrong with the natural background scenery? I see these pics alllllllll the time on my facebook of people dressed up all nice and looking sharp and then they are posed in front of a cartoon and it makes what could be a nice picture look awful.

Edited that for you, because some people here won't know what you're talking about.

also got any pics? I'd love to see some examples

SlackAdjuster said:

Why do you guys and ladies go to a club, shine the ride up real nice, dressed to the nines, drink expensive drinks and then take a picture in front of a tacky, airbrushed mural which usually includes a flashy car, dead rapper, money or a skyline?

Lol. I'd love to hear Paul Mooney's answer to this question.

SlackAdjuster said:

I'm not sure what's happening but I think my brain just melted.

FreeMufasa

SlackAdjuster said:

Never seen that. Can you post an example?

SlackAdjuster said:

If the majority of Cleveland shares this level of WTF, I can no longer blame Lebron for doing what he did.

I think he's talking about street murals, but maybe not because most of the street murals I'm seeing on google images look pretty nice
Philly_Mural.jpg

or maybe he means this:
i91OK.jpg

I'm at work, I can/will when I get home. Maybe it's just a local thing but I dont know.

And I really hope nobody is offended by this. I didnt mean ALL black people do this. I would think people would understand that.

SlackAdjuster said:
I'm at work, I can/will when I get home. Maybe it's just a local thing but I dont know.

And I really hope nobody is offended by this. I didnt mean ALL black people do this. I would think people would understand that.

I don't think anyone's offended just a little confused, mainly by your slang :lol

Where are you living anyway? it definitely sounds like a local thing. While we're on the subject of airbrushed stuff:

airbrush-shirt-2pac-biggie.jpg

Yay or Nay on stuff like that?

lightless_shado said:
I don't think anyone's offended just a little confused, mainly by your slang :lol

Where are you living anyway? it definitely sounds like a local thing. While we're on the subject of airbrushed stuff:

airbrush-shirt-2pac-biggie.jpg

Yay or Nay on stuff like that?
NAY shit always looks tacky.

Ducarmel

nay

But when I was young lol. I would where something similar but more Afrocentric/black history. Really embarrassed by it, I destroyed all evidence of that part of my life.

Yes, Shado. Just like that t-shirt, but on a canvas hanging on a wall and everyone takes their pictures in front of it at the club, haha. It could be Tupac, it might be a Mercedes, might be a stack of 100$ bills, a bottle of Moet, etc.

Cleveland. Like I said maybe it's a local thing but theres tons of examples of this on my facebook.

DominoKid

SlackAdjuster said:
Yes, Shado. Just like that t-shirt, but on a canvas hanging on a wall and everyone takes their pictures in front of it at the club, haha. It could be Tupac, it might be a Mercedes, might be a stack of 100$ bills, a bottle of Moet, etc.

Cleveland.
Like I said maybe it's a local thing but theres tons of examples of this on my facebook.

theres your answer lol.

Ducarmel

Half a grand for those shitty paintings!

I have seen street murals painted on a few buildings in Brooklyn/Bronx/Queens, but I never seen somebody hang stuff like that on walls.

Well, not really hung on walls. At a club. There will usually be a few different ones to pick from and people pay to take a picture in front of it with their date or their boys or whatever.

Kaizer

Banned
Hah, you should see this area down in Atlanta called Little Five Points. It's pretty much a hub for murals like that, they line the walls between all the little shops and of course, I've posed in front of one with friends, lol.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Kaizer said:
Hah, you should see this area down in Atlanta called Little Five Points. It's pretty much a hub for murals like that, they line the walls between all the little shops and of course, I've posed in front of one with friends, lol.

Dude, not just Little Five, almost all of Atlanta has murals or graffiti. Of course, in Little Five, it's by the hipsters :p

Londa

Banned
SlackAdjuster said:

That is not black culture....

Kaizer said:

Atlanta is one interesting place.

The only time I find these type of wall hangings are near dollar movie theaters or ghetto malls in MD.

SlackAdjuster said:

lawd have mercy

SlackAdjuster said:

Yeah, you're talking about in the corner of the (hood) club, there is an airbrushed canvas and there is a spotlight on it and there is usually a small line to take pictures? The natural background scenery is usually not that great tbh, and this is more of a younger crowd club thing. I think they look tacky personally, and it's far from a universal thing but hey if people want to spend money on shitty pictures that's their right.

Imm0rt4l

ZephyrFate said:
a bit random, but I swear to god nothing suits my weekday afternoons better than A Tribe Called Quest

god I love jazz rap

Now I gotta scat and get mine, underline
speaking of which, I need to see that tribe called quest documentary.

Top Bottom