• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

SlackAdjuster said:
I have a harmless question for black folks.

Why do you guys and ladies go to a club, shine the ride up real nice, dressed to the nines, drink expensive drinks and then take a picture in front of a tacky, airbrushed mural which usually includes a flashy car, dead rapper, money or a skyline?

Whats wrong with the natural background scenery? I see these pics alllllllll the time on my facebook of people dressed up all nice and looking sharp and then they are posed in front of a cartoon and it makes what could be a nice picture look awful.
you know what's funny about this is the only person i ever saw doing this was this chick i know and she doesn't have a facebook, but she had 2 pics like that on her digital camera.

CrazyDogg77 said:
So who in Black-Gaf is going to back to college or going to be applying soon?

Still in University as an undergrad, going to apply for the fall and winter semesters. Hope to be finished before 2013.

I wonder if anyone here has ever visited an all black college? I have absolutely no experience with them, I'd like to see one one day though.

lightless_shado said:
Still in University as an undergrad, going to apply for the fall and winter semesters. Hope to be finished before 2013.

I wonder if anyone here has ever visited an all black college? I have absolutely no experience with them, I'd like to see one one day though.

What school do you attend? I've visited a all the black colleges on the east coast and I don't think they're for me.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
CrazyDogg77 said:

Graduated from college uh...I forgot how many years ago. All I remember was the Yin Yang Twins were hot shit

DominoKid

i go back to school this weekend, start on monday. junior year baby!

lightless_shado said:

i'm in NC, land of the black colleges but i've never visited one with the intent of looking at the school. mostly just visited friends. when i was going through the whole college application process i focused on schools that sent me stuff and invited me to visit. i got loads of stuff from great schools all across the country. i never got any such notice from the HBCUs even here in NC so they didnt deserve a chance.

in hindsight its for the best. i couldnt deal with all the ratchet shit my friends have gone through at their HBCUs

CrazyDogg77 said:
going into my third year. University of Hawaii! The black students make up 2% of the campus though, heh. Switched majors, but I'm feeling happier about it.

ChocolateCupcakes said:
SUNY New Paltz. Yup, no one has heard of it.

:(

My roommate went there!

When I used to visit him, we partied a TON, lol.

As for school - me, I'm doing graduate studies at Brooklyn College. Gonna get dat masters in econ.

Once I get that and step my job game up, I will be pushing deconstructed Maybachs like Ye in that Otis video.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Long, long ago, I attended Xavier University of LA for undergrad, and LSU for graduate school. If it's one thing I could relive again, it's definitely my undergraduate years...so many shenanigans

DominoKid said:
i go back to school this weekend, start on monday. junior year baby!

i'm in NC, land of the black colleges but i've never visited one with the intent of looking at the school. mostly just visited friends. when i was going through the whole college application process i focused on schools that sent me stuff and invited me to visit. i got loads of stuff from great schools all across the country. i never got any such notice from the HBCUs even here in NC so they didnt deserve a chance.

in hindsight its for the best. i couldnt deal with all the ratchet shit my friends have gone through at their HBCUs

I'm here in the Triangle. I went to college about 20 years or so ago and I can say at that time the HBCU's here in NC weren't all that good. Expensive too. I think if you're wanting to stay in NC and have the grades then there are much better opportunities here than Shaw, St. Aug, A&T and Central.

CrazyDogg77 said:

University of Pittsburgh undergrad. Shitty, useless, BA degree. Going back for *dun dun dun* Law degree, classes start August 29th.

*Shrugs* Glad there isn't debt prison.

I like HBCU's, certainly think they are important cultural icons. I wish they would use idiots like me as an example and restructure to more STEM focused schools. Easy for me to say though after I wasted time getting degrees exactly opposite of those though.

harSon said:
It pains me to say, but I'm probably going to be there Day 1 :D

Really? Mind if I ask why? No offense but you seem one of the more film-savvy black gaf members and I'm wondering why you would waste time on something like that.

captmcblack said:
As for school - me, I'm doing graduate studies at Brooklyn College. Gonna get dat masters in econ.

nice! i miss brooklyn college, hope ill go back someday. finding parking was always a bitch though

CrazyDogg77 said:

Will be applying to the Georgetown and University of Maryland MBA programs for early next year. Just working on destroying the GMAT

Zoramon089 said:
Going into my first year as a grad student at Princeton in a couple weeks!

Congrats! What field of study?

Guys, I'm receiving my first credit card in the mail shortly. I'm a little nervous. Debit card has gotten me to age 26. This a mistake?

Big Baybee said:
Guys, I'm receiving my first credit card in the mail shortly. I'm a little nervous. Debit card has gotten me to age 26. This a mistake?

is it a prepaid card? what is the spending limit if it isnt?

I'm actually interested in getting a card. I'm 20 right now and I've been told I should start building [good] credit. I figure getting a prepaid card might be the best way to go about it

lightless_shado said:
is it a prepaid card? what is the spending limit if it isnt?

I'm actually interested in getting a card. I'm 20 right now and I've been told I should start building [good] credit. I figure getting a prepaid card might be the best way to go about it
Limit is $500. I'm trying to build some credit. Plan on paying it off every month, don't want any interest.

Ducarmel

I never heard of a credit card with no interest if you pay it every month? I thought that is how they make money, by charging you interest every month you owe them, unless you meant paying off the whole amount before the interest charge.

If you want to build credit, I think you should speak with representative of your bank/credit union/financial adviser. Credit cards have some kind of system on how they make reports to your credit history, it could take months, years depending on the usage your credit card history affect your credit score.

Ducarmel said:
I never heard of a credit card with no interest if you pay it every month? I thought that is how they make money, by charging you interest every month you owe them, unless you meant paying off the whole amount before the interest charge.

If you want to build credit, I think you should speak with representative of your bank/credit union/financial adviser. Credit cards have some kind of system on how they make reports to your credit history, it could take months, years depending on the usage your credit card history affect your credit score.
Lets say you spend $300 dollars. If you pay the full amount when its due, there is no interest because there is no balance. Now if I pay the minimum of $20, then the remaining balance of $280 is rolled over to the next month, and they charge interest on that amount.

Chiave

Door2Dawn said:
I could've gotten my AA degree this year but I failed college algebra. Go me!
I failed College Algebra twice. I'll have to do summer sessions for sure now if I want to graduate on time.

Ducarmel

Big Baybee said:
Lets say you spend $300 dollars. If you pay the full amount when its due, there is no interest because there is no balance. Now if I pay the minimum of $20, then the remaining balance of $280 is rolled over to the next month, and they charge interest on that amount.
Yeah I know that I guess I got tripped up on "every month" part of the post as in you would just pay every month until the debt was gone.

Remember to check the grace period some credit card companies still could apply interest rate before the due date.

Door2Dawn said:
I could've gotten my AA degree this year but I failed college algebra. Go me!
Chiave said:
I failed College Algebra twice. I'll have to do summer sessions for sure now if I want to graduate on time.

Khan academy let this site be your bible for your lower college level math needs.

http://www.khanacademy.org/

Natural

CrazyDogg77 said:
I just graduated from Uni a few weeks ago, miss the lifestyle already! Need to start looking for jobs but really need to build up my portfolio first!

And damn, why have I only just seen this thread now!

Londa

Banned
Jay-Z: Wife Beyonce Is "the Second Coming" of Michael Jackson

http://www.usmagazine.com/moviestvmusic/news/jay-z-wife-beyonce-is-the-second-coming-of-michael-jackson-2011168

MTV's Rap Fix reports that Jay-Z even compared Beyonce, 29, to the Gloved One himself, Michael Jackson, who died in June 2009 at age 50.

"What I've learned from her is similar to what I learned from Mike [Jackson] - and I know that's blasphemy to compare the two because Mike was such an innovator - but I think she's like the second coming," Jay-Z said during a phone call to Miami, Florida radio station 99 Jamz.

What do you guys think?

What do I think? lol no

MIMIC

Banned
soundscream said:
If the majority of Cleveland shares this level of WTF, I can no longer blame Lebron for doing what he did.

So is this really a "Cleveland" thing? Because I have DOZENS of friends who post pictures like this on Facebook and we're all from Cleveland.

Top Bottom