• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Londa

Banned
I have never connected to any of her songs.

Songs like.. "Put a ring on it" "Single Ladies" or "Who Run the World"

Do not connect with me even though I'm female and these songs are targeted to women.

She's a great talent, that Pink Panther video is something nice. Problem is, I haven't bought any of her cd's, because they don't appeal to me. Alicia Keys and M.J Blige music I can listen to. Beyonce' music comes off mainly for women. Sade appeals to male and females.

Mikes performances and music had universal appeal, her's don't.

Satch

Banned
zero_suit said:
She's always been garbage, and she needs to go away for several years. Get at me!

ZPJ3a.jpg

thats you on the right

Bleepey

The Faceless Master said:
she's like the 4th most talented Destiny's Child member of all time.

Is that out of all the members of Destiny's child or just the intial line up. I remember thinking she was like the third/fourth most attractive out of the original line up. That's not a diss at her, but the original line up..... and the bills bills bills video. I always used to think American women looked that good, it's come as a surprise to me that apparently they are all fat, have attitudes and kids everywhere.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
The Faceless Master said:
she's like the 4th most talented Destiny's Child member of all time.

Not the hugest Beyonce fan.. but lol troll harder.

Maddness

I've heard "Beyonce" and "second coming" in a sentence a few times, but it had nothing to do with her music or Michael Jackson. I can only assume Jay Z misinterpreted the message and didn't realize he was speaking about music.

lol Michael Jackson. C'mon Son!

Bleepey said:
Is that out of all the members of Destiny's child or just the intial line up. I remember thinking she was like the third/fourth most attractive out of the original line up. That's not a diss at her, but the original line up..... and the bills bills bills video. I always used to think American women looked that good, it's come as a surprise to me that apparently they are all fat, have attitudes and kids everywhere.
..and i was so sure the "of all time" made it clear i meant all members ever...

Air

Banned
I feel beyonce's songs are too serious. Her singles don't make me want to buy her albums also. I don't think she's that attractive either.

Thoughts?

Unapologetically Racist Nivea Ad Seeks To ‘Re-Civilize’ Black Men
The ad, which we spotted on Good not too long ago, features a smartly dressed man (white point-collar shirt, dark denim, a sweater that looks like it was knitted specifically to fit his forearms) shot-putting the decapitated head of another man who had the audacity to grow out an afro and a full beard. The message here is clear: If you’re black, embracing a tonsorial style that isn’t close cropped and clean-shaven will make you look like a total beast and no one will ever trust or hire you. You’d better run to CVS and get some Nivea products before your chance for a good life washes down the drain! Offensive? Absofuckinglutely. True? Not at all.

To be fair, Nivea has another ad that asks white men to “look like [they] give a damn,” which features a guy in a suit holding the similarly severed head of another guy with shaggy hair and a full beard. But that ad says nothing about re-civilization. The message there seems to be that white men already have a chance to be productive members of society, and they only need to trim a little scruff off here and there to maximize their potential to do so. In other words, they’re already civilized, they just don’t look like it.

But black men, according to Nivea’s brand messaging, are inherently uncivilized and can only become civilized if they forsake what comes out of their hair follicles naturally. And that’s simply not true. Different hairstyles may communicate different things, but having a certain hairstyle (just like having a certain skin color) doesn’t encode certain behavior. And that’s probably the most offensive thing about this ad — it suggests that if you change how you look, you can also change who you are.

nivea-ad_afro.jpeg

ikkemenx

Satchwar said:
fine then that's everybody that sides with you on the right

I'm witchu girl. I think she's been making consistently good songs for over a decade, her vocal prowess is something to be reckoned with, and she's a beast on stage. So much energy! You can tell she puts a lot of work into entertaining and I appreciate that. Not a huge fan of her past few songs, but "Countdown" off her 4 album is great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbv6MzrZLBU

EDIT: How could anyone at Nivea think that was a good idea?

Tokubetsu

CrazyDogg77 said:
I honestly don't see that as racist. It is a mistake however. There needs to be a distinction between a mistake and blatant racism.

Yeah I don't really see it as racist. It can be certainly misconstrued as such and as you said, is definite a "just to be safe, we shouldn't have done this" kind of mistake. If it was a white guy in the ad he would have had long greasy hair and nasty beard too. How is it racist to include the black male equivalent?

Mecha_Infantry said:
IN terms of style being a Londoner, we might not always agree on dress code, but I fucking LOVE this site: http://streetetiquette.com/page/1/

Thanks for the hookup. Browsing through that site I'm seeing a lot of stuff I like

Tokubetsu said:
Yeah I don't really see it as racist. It can be certainly misconstrued as such and as you said, is definite a "just to be safe, we shouldn't have done this" kind of mistake. If it was a white guy in the ad he would have had long greasy hair and nasty beard too. How is it racist to include the black male equivalent?

I don't think their intention was to make a racist ad, but it definitely comes off as insensitive considering the history of "civilizing" black folk and the hangups that black people have concerning their hair that persist to this day. Its more common to see a white guy in public with long hair and people won't bat an eyelash, in fact for long periods of time white men weren't discouraged from having long hair(I'm thinking specifically 18th century and prior). If you see a black man with an Afro which is a hairstyle that requires some care to actually make it look decent, because black people's hair doesn't naturally turn into an afro if left alone, then you should not associate that with savagery and a lack of grooming. The execs behind that ad clearly didn't take the time to approach the subject delicately and I think the real issue here is whether Nivea's marketing branch actually has some diversity.

The other thread is just entertaining, watching people who aren't minorities trying to convince people who are that they shouldn't be offended or that they take pleasure in being offended.

I've been listening to Sarah Vaughan, Billie Holliday and Ella Fitzgerald the last year. Just listen to a few of those songs from those artists then put on something from Beyonce. It's hard not to sneer at it.

zero_suit

theignoramus said:
I've been listening to Sarah Vaughan, Billie Holliday and Ella Fitzgerald the last year. Just listen to a few of those songs from those artists then put on something from Beyonce. It's hard not to sneer at it.

Of course, they're all on a much higher level than fuckin' Beyonce.

Cipherr

That ad should have used the same text as the mirroring ad they had with the white guy. Then I think no one would have bitched about it. I think the use of the word 'civilized' in there ruffled panties.

Tokubetsu said:
They have that exact ad, and it doesn't say "re-civilize yourself."

299679_209251525800518_192227354169602_590152_6223265_n.jpg

Dabanton

jordan0386 said:
Marketing has done their job. Talk about my product.

Pretty much.

By putting this out and then have Nivea pull it they already earned their fee but all this free publicity is priceless.

Dabanton

Londa said:
Jay-Z: Wife Beyonce Is "the Second Coming" of Michael Jackson

http://www.usmagazine.com/moviestvmusic/news/jay-z-wife-beyonce-is-the-second-coming-of-michael-jackson-2011168

What do you guys think?

What do I think? lol no

Beyonce is alright and has some good songs but she's fallen into that trap of trying to create anthems with each song she doesn't have that effortless musicianship of someone like Alica Keys and in her day Lauren Hill. Or someone as musically and conceptually exciting as Janelle Monae. Another thing all three of these ladies have never had to do is strip down and shake their asses like a stripper.

When i hear Beyonce i don't hear soul i hear a corporate packaged version it makes sense why her and Jay Z are together as he puts out a nice line in corporate rap.

Bland,Obvious and mostly uninteresting.

Dabanton said:
Beyonce is alright and has some good songs but she's fallen into that trap of trying to create anthems with each song she doesn't have that effortless musicianship of someone like Alicla Keys and in her day Lauren Hill. Or someone as musically and conceptually exciting as Janelle Monae. Another thing all three of these ladies have never had to do is strip down and shake their asses like a stripper.

When i hear Beyonce i don't hear soul i hear a corporate packaged version it makes sense why her and Jay Z are together as he puts out a nice line in corporate rap.

co-sign.gif

eternaLightness said:
Spin are you alright!!??!!??
:lol Yes. It's all good.

Dabanton said:
Beyonce is alright and has some good songs but she's fallen into that trap of trying to create anthems with each song she doesn't have that effortless musicianship of someone like Alicla Keys and in her day Lauren Hill. Or someone as musically and conceptually exciting as Janelle Monae. Another thing all three of these ladies have never had to do is strip down and shake their asses like a stripper.

That's how I feel about Beyonce as well. I can't be naive and say that I've NEVER liked any of Beyonce's songs but there are far better music artists around whom I appreciate more.

+1 for the Janelle Monae mention.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Air said:
I'm glad I'm never home, the frequency of race threads are enough to drive me crazy.

If anything, you get an idea of how clueless some posters are regarding different races. It's laughable how a board that prides itself on intelligence can make some of the most dumbassed posts I've ever seen.

Top Bottom