• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

DrFunk said:
If anything, you get an idea of how clueless some posters are regarding different races. It's laughable how a board that prides itself on intelligence can make some of the most dumbassed posts I've ever seen.

It's sad how closed minded alot of people are while claiming the above. It also shows you the ideas of the most vocal as well. For better or worse I suppose.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
is it wrong that everytime i see the word "black" in the title of a thread, i just prepare for the worse? its crazy how much race threads degrade...

DrFunk said:
If anything, you get an idea of how clueless some posters are regarding different races. It's laughable how a board that prides itself on intelligence can make some of the most dumbassed posts I've ever seen.

Yeah, but it's like this everywhere you go. Except here people have to actually listen to you because "they can't see that you are black".

Londa

Banned
DrFunk said:

you summed up basically how I feel right now about Off Topic.

dbztrk

ChocolateCupcakes said:
SUNY New Paltz. Yup, no one has heard of it.

:(

I've heard of it as I got accepted in to it but I didn't go. I decided to stay in the city but I do wonder what life would have been like had I went there. It's quite normal though to wonder about the path not taken.

Lebron

Londa said:
you summed up basically how I feel right now about Off Topic.
I don't know, OT taught me that I'm not black(percent is not high enough). That's a load off my mind. I'm sitting in the front swag.

Beyonce is the embodiment of corporate music manufacturing, alongside Coldplay. I'm not a hater, in fact I think she's talented and very beautiful. But her music is boring and generic. Her latest album was hyped as hell but was not a huge hit, proving that she isn't even the biggest pop artist of her time. How can she be compared to Michael Jackson when she's not bigger than at least two other pop artists today - Gaga and Rihanna?

For the most part her music doesn't take any risks, and instead basically follows a checklist (ballad, Eurotrash, for the ladies anthem, etc). And as an artist, she has next to nothing to say. I'm not a fan of Gaga at all, but she has something to say both in (some of) her music, and she takes stands. Beyonce helps Michelle Obama with some child health initiatives but that's basically it. She's a vapid person who not so long ago couldn't get through an interview without her mother finishing her sentences.

Londa

Banned
Let's remember JayZ is her husband. He will say anything to support her. For all we know he could have just stepped out of bed with her before saying she was the second coming of MJ. Lol

LosDaddie

Banned
Still one of my favorite GAF threads. :)

I've never really liked Beyonce's music, but I'm not the target demographic either. Same goes with Rihanna....and most of the trash on the radio. Actually, I think that's the problem. These "artists" try to make pop music for the radio only.

DrFunk said:

Part of reason why that happens is because who's attracted to race threads. Those threads are a somewhat good insight of why voting demographics are they way they are in America.

talisayNon said:
rich spoiled jewish girls are called japs. what are rich spoiled black girls called?
Ah the Jewish American Princes so many of them my freshmen year at Syracuse. Wonder if what their fathers would do if they knew what their little princess were doing away at school. LOL

talisayNon said:
rich spoiled jewish girls are called japs. what are rich spoiled black girls called?
-Baps-[VHS].jpg

I forgot Halle Berry used to be in black movies like that...

Well, maybe one or two of the people that blew up in Tyler Perry flicks will become a top box-office draw.

And maybe - just maybe - they'll do it in a movie that doesn't have any of those tropes we love, like "magical negro" or "white people saving black people/white guilt mollifier".

Londa

Banned
Someone in here suggested I get converse and I finally bought myself a pair and I love them.
I got a black pair on clearance (they are totally new and now I want a blue pair) :3

Hyphen

PhoenixDark said:
Beyonce is the embodiment of corporate music manufacturing, alongside Coldplay. I'm not a hater, in fact I think she's talented and very beautiful. But her music is boring and generic. Her latest album was hyped as hell but was not a huge hit, proving that she isn't even the biggest pop artist of her time. How can she be compared to Michael Jackson when she's not bigger than at least two other pop artists today - Gaga and Rihanna?

For the most part her music doesn't take any risks, and instead basically follows a checklist (ballad, Eurotrash, for the ladies anthem, etc). And as an artist, she has next to nothing to say. I'm not a fan of Gaga at all, but she has something to say both in (some of) her music, and she takes stands. Beyonce helps Michelle Obama with some child health initiatives but that's basically it. She's a vapid person who not so long ago couldn't get through an interview without her mother finishing her sentences.

I've been saying that for a long time, I'm glad I've spotted someone who feels the same way. She's an absolutely incredible singer, but I feel it's that amazing talent that makes the majority of her songs sound much better than they actually are.
IMHO

Air

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
M8Jfi.jpg

discuss...

The worst thing I've ever seen in my 21 years of life...

The mixture of this picture and finding out its Aaliyah's birthday are giving me a wide range of emotions right now.

Mononofu

Air said:
The worst thing I've ever seen in my 21 years of life...

The mixture of this picture and finding out its Aaliyah's birthday are giving me a wide range of emotions right now.

I'd say your pretty lucky if that's the case but in this instance I understand where you coming from. :(

SoilBreak

Banned

Deus Ex: Human Racial Tension

If you have not yet been introduced to Tish, now is your chance to say hello. She has a very small (non spoilery) role in Deus Ex: Human Revolution and she's ... well ... let's just say that her characterization has a little something of the fifties about it.

It really is a fantastic game, but I'm not sure how Eidos Montreal expected this little thing to go unnoticed.

Londa said:
Someone in here suggested I get converse and I finally bought myself a pair and I love them.
I got a black pair on clearance (they are totally new and now I want a blue pair) :3
So it begins.

Hope you're prepared to have a wall of Con's in every color.

Lionheart1337 said:
I actually have more respect for the game for not being afraid to push those boundaries.

Huh? explain how a game that is supposed to take place in the future has a stereotype from the early 20th century in it?

I just started laughing when I was watching the video, it sounds just so ridiculous that I thought it was meant to be a satire.

Londa said:
no excuse in the year 2011.

He's being sarcastic. The game is developed in Montreal no less which is what makes this even more mind boggling

Londa said:
I'm already looking for a not only a blue pair but a black and white pair.
I've been thinking about ditching my G-Nike's and going with Converse for a while. They are cheap and come in a shit ton of colors.

Londa

Banned
Big Baybee said:
I've been thinking about ditching my G-Nike's and going with Converse for a while. They are cheap and come in a shit ton of colors.

Everyone should have on pair of Converse because of how cheap they are!

Bento

soundscream said:
WTF

God damn I was going to buy this :(
I wouldn't let it scare you off, she's the sore thumb in a game that otherwise shares its bland characters evenly among the races :p

(and the game is actually very much worth playing)

zero_suit

harSon said:
Holy shit, I went in expecting something stereotypical but the "WELL, SHEEEEEEEIT..." caught me off guard LOLOLOLOL

LOL, she sounded like Clay Davis.

As for the rest of the video....no comment.

Top Bottom