• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

spindashing said:
but who would have thought...

Cyrax.png

0a0N7.jpg
Can't unsee the"remember me?" guy?

In custom character games do you guys create a black character? I always gravitate towards one but games really don't accommodate the cosmetic facilities that a black man needs (wide-nosed negro with Fabio hair/only black hair style = cornrows), so I sometimes just go with a vanilla (npi) character.

Lionheart1337 said:
In custom character games do you guys create a black character? I always gravitate towards one but games really don't accommodate the cosmetic facilities that a black man needs (wide-nosed negro with Fabio hair/only black hair style = cornrows), so I sometimes just go with a vanilla (npi) character.

Sometimes. Most of the time I just try to recreate other characters from movies, TV shows, other games etc.

Tracie Spencer - Tender Kisses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrwvDBdzprw

Stevie Wonder - Visions
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFeQ4NnQtkY

Tammi Terrell - All I Do (Later re-recorded by Stevie Wonder)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIOHZeBBGIc

Chaka Khan - Night Moods
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT_TApP33VI

Curtis Mayfield - Give Me Your Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9tJc27IWKw

Luther Vandross - Forever, For Always, For Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHIpntTGiyg

Me'Shell NdegéOcello - Love Song #1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVU0f6h2Puo

Swag

The M.O.B said:
What are your guys thoughts on Alicia Keyz naming her son "Egypt Daoud Dean"?

Yes, his first name is Egypt........

The things celebrities will do, what does Daoud mean? Anyone know?

Lebron

Lionheart1337 said:
Rarely. If I can't make a good looking redhead female I get mad and just use auto generate.

Black ppl don't know wtf to name their kids. Can't say I`m angry the......eccentric African-Arab names. We were/still are force-fed Western culture, names, etc.....

Lionheart1337 said:

I've been able to create some good black characters in Mass Effect, Fallout, Fifa, and a few others. My Shepard is badass.

I actually manipulated Dragons Age enough to where I had a black female elf, even though Bioware didn't really seem to want any black characters.

Edit : If it's a game where there are certain "classes" though, like say, Borderlands, I'm not going out of my way to pick a black character that I don't want to play as. I use the Siren (white girl) because I like her style of play the best.

Same with fighting games, black characters always have the wackest styles (Basic shit like boxing/wrestling/kickboxing), these developers need to step their game up and recognize that black Americans actually have some history in Martial arts in America. It's okay to have a black dude using a non-generic style, damn!

The M.O.B said:

It is what it is.

People freak out over celebrity kids names but the truth is that these rich bastards are going to have so much in there favor that a name will mean very little.

Far as black naming in general goes I don't even care to get into it. Usually too much reactionary bullshit down that road.

Lionheart1337 said:

I made my male Sheppard black in Mass Effect. My female Sheppard I think I was trying to make her look mixed or Latina or something....wasn't totally successful, but rolled with it anyways.

For any of you guys who are interested in learning about Africa, I strongly suggest that you check out this program
http://english.aljazeera.net/programmes/2010/08/2010831112927318164.html
Some interesting facts:
-Much of the architecture in a lot of African countries was built in a european style
-One person was able to get an entire colony to himself.
-Hundreds of thousands of Africans fought in both world wars

I'm still watching it right now. Really fascinating stuff. Aljazeera.net even has a whole section for you to watch programs about Africa and catch up with all the progress thats going on.

robidomask said:
Tracie Spencer - Tender Kisses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrwvDBdzprw

Stevie Wonder - Visions
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFeQ4NnQtkY

Tammi Terrell - All I Do (Later re-recorded by Stevie Wonder)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIOHZeBBGIc

Chaka Khan - Night Moods
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT_TApP33VI

Curtis Mayfield - Give Me Your Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9tJc27IWKw

Luther Vandross - Forever, For Always, For Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHIpntTGiyg

Me'Shell NdegéOcello - Love Song #1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVU0f6h2Puo

Much appreciated :D

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Sebulon3k said:
The things celebrities will do, what does Daoud mean? Anyone know?
Hah, that's my first name. Although, people usually spell it Dawud.
It's Arabic for David, it's closer to the hebrew version of David, which is Dawid.

lightless_shado said:
For any of you guys who are interested in learning about Africa, I strongly suggest that you check out this program
http://english.aljazeera.net/programmes/2010/08/2010831112927318164.html
Some interesting facts:
-Much of the architecture in a lot of African countries was built in a european style
-One person was able to get an entire colony to himself.
-Hundreds of thousands of Africans fought in both world wars

I'm still watching it right now. Really fascinating stuff. Aljazeera.net even has a whole section for you to watch programs about Africa and catch up with all the progress thats going on.

My great-grandfather fought in the second World War, never got to meet him though. He was a member of the Royal West African Frontier Force

JGS

Banned
The M.O.B said:

I have more problems with Dean being the last name. It doesn't match up. Egypt Daoud...Dean.

It should be Mufassa or something.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Lionheart1337 said:
I always make a black character. Always.

Blackace

Liara T'Soni said:
I've been able to create some good black characters in Mass Effect, Fallout, Fifa, and a few others. My Shepard is badass.

I actually manipulated Dragons Age enough to where I had a black female elf, even though Bioware didn't really seem to want any black characters.

Edit : If it's a game where there are certain "classes" though, like say, Borderlands, I'm not going out of my way to pick a black character that I don't want to play as. I use the Siren (white girl) because I like her style of play the best.

Same with fighting games, black characters always have the wackest styles (Basic shit like boxing/wrestling/kickboxing), these developers need to step their game up and recognize that black Americans actually have some history in Martial arts in America. It's okay to have a black dude using a non-generic style, damn!

Yeah... But I almost always try the black guy first... In boarderlands I like the hunter the best but in my solo game role as the solider.

Also Tekken has done it right with black characters.. No other fighting game comes close.

Lionheart1337 said:
in custom character games i always try and make them look like me. my brother does the same thing. i still remember when i waited FOR OVER AN HOUR while my brother made his character in Saint's Row 2 before he finally was done. seriously, it took me like 10 minutes tops. and he kept ignoring my chat requests and calls too. i probably could have done it faster myself if i caught the train over, made it and went back to my place!

Blackace said:
Yeah... But I almost always try the black guy first... In boarderlands I like the hunter the best but in my solo game role as the solider.

Also Tekken has done it right with black characters.. No other fighting game comes close.
hrm, i always felt Namco was the worst when it came to black characters in fighting games.

Blackace

The Faceless Master said:
hrm, i always felt Namco was the worst when it came to black characters in fighting games.

Really? Who is more awesome than a black ninja? Eddy, and a Bob Sapp lookalike?

Blackace said:

lEi2Q.jpg

nGgRC.jpg

250px-King.jpg

Let's not forget Skate from SoRII:

8fjYd.jpg

And Adam from SoR:

FBVjE.jpg

edit: also..

WdIAU.gif

is black. dreadlocks? rap theme songs? he is black get the fuck out of here.

ryutaro's mama said:
Bingo.

Since when is Duck King Black?

I've always assumed Duck King was black. Probably the clothes. Come on, Duck King is the shit, guys. :lol

Fixed the photos. imgur supports black videogame characters.

Fox the Sly

Lionheart1337 said:

If I can make a decent looking black person, that's what I go with. If I can't get a decent looking black male (usually because of very limited hair options for us) then I'll make a black female.

The M.O.B said:

Not sure why she'd name her son "Bondage" but whatever. Like someone else said, celebs just have to be different.*

*odd

lightless_shado said:
^your first picture is just a huge white space for me edit that ish out.

also, Duck king doesn't count.

DrFunk said:
Duck King? nahhh

also, huge white void

ryutaro's mama said:
Bingo.

Since when is Duck King Black?

Himuro said:
Duck King ain't black mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

DY_nasty said:
Skate immediately offends me.

I've returned to the position as most hated on NegroGAF/BlackGAF. All is whit--right with the world.

No mention of Uub so far? He's black, right?

uub.jpg

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I'd rather continue believing in the lie of Black Piccolo then start pimping Uub - arguably the lamest character in DB.

Lebron

I remember when Bulma was scared to go with Mr.Popo alone when he was going to take her to Kami's old spaceship. I see your game, Toriyama!

Blackace

spindashing said:
lEi2Q.jpg

nGgRC.jpg

250px-King.jpg

Let's not forget Skate from SoRII:

8fjYd.jpg

And Adam from SoR:

FBVjE.jpg

edit: also..

WdIAU.gif

is black. dreadlocks? rap theme songs? he is black get the fuck out of here.

Pfft...
Did you really post the teletubbie in here and say he was better than Raven? or Eddy?

everyone of those characters make me weep..

Any of Sonic's shitty friends should get your ghetto pass revoked..

spindashing said:

lol knuckles. But he was one the original Sonic characters so no one should get too hard on him
I thought Tekken had some cool black characters:
Canadian ninja
Ravensmaller.jpg

Rich brazillian dude
672414-tekken6_eddy_large.jpg

and Kazuya's best pal :
bruce-irvin-in-tekken-6.jpg

edit: oh ,I see it's been already mentioned, but knowing japan''s rather ...limited depictions of black dudes, they kind of stick out a bit.

Blackace

SleepyJohn11 said:
lol knuckles.
I thought Tekken had some cool black characters:
Canadian ninja
Ravensmaller.jpg

Rich brazillian dude
672414-tekken6_eddy_large.jpg

and Kazuya's best pal :
bruce-irvin-in-tekken-6.jpg

only if someone said that eariler...

Blackace said:
Pfft...
Did you really post the teletubbie in here and say he was better than Raven? or Eddy?

everyone of those characters make me weep..

Any of Sonic's shitty friends should get your ghetto pass revoked..

Knuckles is an OG unlike the rest of the crazy shitty friends. =(

I will give you Eddy Gordo, for he is good. Bruce Irvin too, because I used him when I did not rock Hwoarang (I know each and every one of you picked that dude :lol)

Raven is straight up ridiculous. A culmination of Wesley Snipes roles? Sounds like he's a ninja because he's on the run from all his taxes.

MWS Natural said:
Spindashing continues to substantially lead the thread in smh's.

you n***as know you love me. :lol :lol

Blackace

spindashing said:
Knuckles is an OG unlike the rest of the crazy shitty friends. =(

I will give you Eddy Gordo, for he is good. Bruce Irvin too, because I used him when I did not rock Hwoarang (I know each and every one of you picked that dude :lol)

Raven is straight up ridiculous. A culmination of Wesley Snipes roles? Sounds like he's a ninja because he's on the run from all his taxes.

You posted Zach.. fucking Zach as an example of a good black fighting character... Fucking Zach!!!

And Raven is badass. Sure he was borrowed from blade, but he is a black ninja. You almost never see that..

Eddy rocked... and Bruce was alright. Bob Sapp is also awesome..

Tekken is the King of Black Fighters.. it isn't even a contest

Blackace said:
You posted Zach.. fucking Zach as an example of a good black fighting character... Fucking Zach!!!

And Raven is badass. Sure he was borrowed from blade, but he is a black ninja. You almost never see that..

Eddy rocked... and Bruce was alright. Bob Sapp is also awesome..

Tekken is the King of Black Fighters.. it isn't even a contest
Say whaaattt

Zack is hilarious. I'm not a DoA fan all that much, but that's one funny negro.

Marduk/Bob Sapp is okay. Dunno why Bob Sapp is huge in Japan, though.

And they made Raven blonde smh. Wesley Snipes + Sisqo's hair + Naruto = Raven. Actually I remember Raven having braids as an accessory in Tekken 5 but I was too poor to buy that shit. :lol

Speaking of Sisqo what ever happened to that guy? After the Thong Song and that one movie he was in with the dogs he sorta fell off of the face of the planet. :lol

Blackace

spindashing said:
Say whaaattt

Zack is hilarious. I'm not a DoA fan all that much, but that's one funny negro.

Marduk/Bob Sapp is okay. Dunno why Bob Sapp is huge in Japan, though.

And they made Raven blonde smh. Wesley Snipes + Sisqo's hair + Naruto = Raven. Actually I remember Raven having braids as an accessory in Tekken 5 but I was too poor to buy that shit. :lol

Speaking of Sisqo what ever happened to that guy? After the Thong Song and that one movie he was in with the dogs he sorta fell off of the face of the planet. :lol

Zack sucks... Just made me want to start killing people for no good reason...

Bob Sapp is big in Japan because he is 6'7" 350 lbs and can make a funny face or a mad face on cue..

sniffle they made one of the customers with blonde hair... sniffle

I still rock the thong song in clubs and get so much love for it... you would think I made that shit..

Blackace said:
Zack sucks... Just made me want to start killing people for no good reason...

Bob Sapp is big in Japan because he is 6'7" 350 lbs and can make a funny face or a mad face on cue..

sniffle they made one of the customers with blonde hair... sniffle

I still rock the thong song in clubs and get so much love for it... you would think I made that shit..
Come to think of it, Drebin in MGS4 had blonde hair and he was black. Birdie in SF is black/british with a blonde spike. Duck King if black has blonde hair too wtffff.

And lol @ the Thong Song being loved still. Guess it has that nostalgic feel to it. I was in grade school when that track was hit. :D

Blackace

spindashing said:
Come to think of it, Drebin in MGS4 had blonde hair and he was black. Birdie in SF is black/british with a blonde spike. Duck King if black has blonde hair too wtffff.

And lol @ the Thong Song being loved still. Guess it has that nostalgic feel to it. I was in grade school when that track was hit. :D

Duck King isn't black..

Starting to doubt that was really your picture.. :/

Man, you got to mix it up as a DJ.. Never be afriad to play classics. That is the problem with Japanese DJs they are billboard top 50 all day everyday.. so the same stuff get played at every club multiple times a night :(

Blackace said:
Raven is a ridiculous Blade ripoff.
Eddy doesn't count, Brazilians don't consider themselves to be Black.
Bruce is cool.
Zasalamel. what. the. fuck.

Zack is awesome!
Jeff too.

Top Bottom