• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
The Faceless Master said:
Raven is a ridiculous Blade ripoff.
Eddy doesn't count, Brazilians don't consider themselves to be Black.
Bruce is cool.
Zasalamel. what. the. fuck.

Zack is awesome!
Jeff too.

You are brit right?

That Euro-beat stuff makes you think Zack is awesome... :/

Eddy gets much love even if he wants to deny he is black, his style of combat is directly related to slaves..

Blackace said:
Duck King isn't black..

Starting to doubt that was really your picture.. :/

Man, you got to mix it up as a DJ.. Never be afriad to play classics. That is the problem with Japanese DJs they are billboard top 50 all day everyday.. so the same stuff get played at every club multiple times a night :(
Damn, well my mind is blown if Duck King isn't black at all.

Shit, that was my picture. Too geeky to be a lie, I'd of gotten a cooler black if I wanted to. :lol And oh, now that you reminded me that you're a Japanese DJ, have you met/heard of Nujabes? He was a really cool hip-hop producer that's from there that unfortunately passed away earlier this year. There's supposedly a tribute album coming out dedicated to him next month that I am dying to have. =(

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
spindashing said:
Damn, well my mind is blown if Duck King isn't black at all.

Shit, that was my picture. Too geeky to be a lie, I'd of gotten a cooler black if I wanted to. :lol And oh, now that you reminded me that you're a Japanese DJ, have you met/heard of Nujabes? He was a really cool hip-hop producer that's from there that unfortunately passed away earlier this year. There's supposedly a tribute album coming out dedicated to him next month that I am dying to have. =(

naw... didn't start blowing up until this summer... Still getting my name out there as much as I can..

I am just hazing you... Gotta do that to the young bucks every now and again

Having an odd experience at work. I work with a 39 year old black lady; she's on the bbw scale, and kinda attractive but she has a couple kids and is divorced (no, this is not a "should I hit it" post). I basically run insurance claims at a dental office, and she works at the front desk so we're constantly working together. We have a lot of white patients, and I've noticed how she seems to have some type of self hate, pro-white thing going on.

On Thursday morning she told me a new patient was coming in the afternoon and that she was stunningly beautiful, but "a tad dirty." I spent the next few hours anticipating her arrival because overall our patients are average/older types. Finally at 5pm she showed up: dirty looking hair, jacked up teeth, an extremely freckled plain face, and wearing the dirtiest hoodie I've ever seen. Basically she looked like a dirty, ugly homeless version of Evangeline Lilly. When the chick went to the back for her appointment my co-worker turned around and said "see, I told you she's cute. You want to talk to her when she's finished with her appointment?" I said no thanks and got back to my work.

Almost every day she makes some comment about how black people are ignorant, lazy, etc. And she constantly talks about how pretty our white or light skinned black patients are, asking me if I think they're cute; typically they're just like the patient mentioned above: homely to ugly, or just plain. Someone once brought up interracial dating during lunch and she went on a passive aggressive rant about how black men don't treat women right, and they prey on white women. The hygienists (who are white) just stared at her in shock. I've met black people with similar mentalities, but nothing like this. She's light skinned and divorced her (black) husband after she found out he was cheating on her.

With all this talk of black videogame characters and tekken NOBODY mentioned armor king?
1336291547_270adc6b1b.jpg

come on guys

PhoenixDark said:
Having an odd experience at work. I work with a 39 year old black lady; she's on the bbw scale, and kinda attractive but she has a couple kids and is divorced (no, this is not a "should I hit it" post). I basically run insurance claims at a dental office, and she works at the front desk so we're constantly working together. We have a lot of white patients, and I've noticed how she seems to have some type of self hate, pro-white thing going on.

On Thursday morning she told me a new patient was coming in the afternoon and that she was stunningly beautiful, but "a tad dirty." I spent the next few hours anticipating her arrival because overall our patients are average/older types. Finally at 5pm she showed up: dirty looking hair, jacked up teeth, an extremely freckled plain face, and wearing the dirtiest hoodie I've ever seen. Basically she looked like a dirty, ugly homeless version of Evangeline Lilly. When the chick went to the back for her appointment my co-worker turned around and said "see, I told you she's cute. You want to talk to her when she's finished with her appointment?" I said no thanks and got back to my work.

Almost every day she makes some comment about how black people are ignorant, lazy, etc. And she constantly talks about how pretty our white or light skinned black patients are, asking me if I think they're cute; typically they're just like the patient mentioned above: homely to ugly, or just plain. Someone once brought up interracial dating during lunch and she went on a passive aggressive rant about how black men don't treat women right, and they prey on white women. The hygienists (who are white) just stared at her in shock. I've met black people with similar mentalities, but nothing like this. She's light skinned and divorced her (black) husband after she found out he was cheating on her.
Mrs. Ruckus?

but seriously, seems she's just bitter over her divorce. Kind of reminds me of the opposite of Abel from lakeview terrace.

Holy shit, that does sound like Mrs. Ruckus. I've never seen such an attitude in black people, honestly...

And damn it @ Blackace, I didn't know this shit was a fraternity :lol

I've met black conservatives who seem to have a disdain/annoyance for black people, but nothing like this. She seems fine with me, and she's very active in a big black church. But yea, it's some of the weirdest shit I've witnessed.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I really wish the radio stations around here played the full version of Adore by Prince. They always cut it off around the 4:00 min mark. That's when the song gets good, you idiots

lightless_shado said:
With all this talk of black videogame characters and tekken NOBODY mentioned armor king?
1336291547_270adc6b1b.jpg

come on guys

Mrs. Ruckus?

but seriously, seems she's just bitter over her divorce. Kind of reminds me of the opposite of Abel from lakeview terrace.
nah, she's not just bitter about her divorce. many black people (men and women) harbor these kinds of feelings. a function of societal norms, societal definitions of beauty, how it affects their self-esteem and how they relate to others.

there's a reason why terms like "good hair" and "bad hair" survive to this day. shit's been around since slavery. and don't get me started on complexion. for some reason, lighter is still "righter". even on GAF, our collective appreciation for fairer-skinned women is greater than those of darker complexion. If our personal stories and picture posts are any indication.

And that's far from just GAF. Society sells white skin, blond hair, narrow nose and thin proportions are the most desirable features for a woman. TV, movies, dolls, etc. have made it plain. The gravity of that reality has affected the black community in ways that are obvious to all of us. I *still* see black people buying skin bleaching cream...and it's not to "even out" their complexion. I still see black women dying their hair blond. Etc. etc. I still see the self-loathing secondary to not meeting the larger culture's definition of beauty. Hell, I remember to this day consoling and encouraging a brilliant 5 year-old chocolate-brown black girl who was in tears because she felt different because she was darker than everyone else and associated that with not being pretty.

It hurts my soul, to be perfectly honest.

as an aside: I had no idea that Armor King was a black guy.

Dreams-Visions said:
nah, she's not just bitter about her divorce. many black people (men and women) harbor these kinds of feelings. a function of societal norms, societal definitions of beauty, how it affects their self-esteem and how they relate to others.

there's a reason why terms like "good hair" and "bad hair" survive to this day. shit's been around since slavery. and don't get me started on complexion. for some reason, lighter is still "righter". even on GAF, our collective appreciation for fairer-skinned women is greater than those of darker complexion. If our personal stories and picture posts are any indication.

And that's far from just GAF. Society sells white skin, blond hair, narrow nose and thin proportions are the most desirable features for a woman. TV, movies, dolls, etc. have made it plain. The gravity of that reality has affected the black community in ways that are obvious to all of us. I *still* see black people buying skin bleaching cream...and it's not to "even out" their complexion. I still see black women dying their hair blond. Etc. etc. I still see the self-loathing secondary to not meeting the larger culture's definition of beauty. Hell, I remember to this day consoling and encouraging a brilliant 5 year-old chocolate-brown black girl who was in tears because she felt different because she was darker than everyone else and associated that with not being pretty.

Its a consequence of living in white dominated society I suppose. North America and Europe have still yet to reach the point where the standard of beauty and success isn't the white person. It reminds me of a test that has been done for many years where they round up some children of different races and ask them to look at some dolls of varying skin tones. Most of the time the children pick the white doll as the best looking one. This includes the black kids. Always makes me shake my head when I see similar tests done.

I think we'll eventually reach the point where beautiful dark skinned women can become as desired as light skinned women. Examples are Gabrielle Union and Taraji P henson. Even look at the first lady. She's unmistakably black and many women both black and white love her.

Lebron

lightless_shado said:
I think we'll eventually reach the point where beautiful dark skinned women can become as desired as light skinned women.
Not as long as there are Ariel Meredith's and Halle Berry's out there.

Raven is a ridiculous Blade ripoff.
Eddy doesn't count, Brazilians don't consider themselves to be Black.
Bruce is cool.
Zasalamel. what. the. fuck.

Zack is awesome!
Jeff too.
He looks like Blade, but to ridiculously so. I don't see Raven donning a coating and hunting vampires with actual blades. Shit, Raven acts more like a Naruto character.:lol
And that Brazilian bullshit. I understand that mix-raced folks there would just be called Brazilian; but if you're complexion's dark enough and show some like traits associated with black, you're black, just black-brazilian.

And Zasalamel just has weird get-up and eyeball.

SleepyJohn11 said:
He looks like Blade, but to ridiculously so. I don't see Raven donning a coating and hunting vampires with actual blades. Shit, Raven acts more like a Naruto character.:lol
And that Brazilian bullshit. I understand that mix-raced folks there would just be called Brazilian; but if you're complexion's dark enough and show some like traits associated with black, you're black, just black-brazilian.

And Zasalamel just has weird get-up and eyeball.

Wait, am I the only one who likes Zasalamel?

lightless_shado said:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1154/1336291547_270adc6b1b.jpg

come on guys
why would Armor King be anything but Mexican?

Blackace said:
really? I swear I saw you giving an Euro spin in one thread.. my bad
well, i understand cricket and know what football is (as opposed to american football) and i have relatives who live in the UK!

why would Armor King be anything but Mexican?

well, i understand cricket and know what football is (as opposed to american football) and i have relatives who live in the UK!

Black americans
Black British people
Black canadians
Black Mexicans.

Watching "Dead Presidents" on Showtime right now...it's actually a pretty good movie without having that "you are watching a black film" B quality feel to it.

tumblr_l6lsv9OeJX1qbec8io1_400.jpg

MWS Natural said:
Watching "Dead Presidents" on Showtime right now...it's actually a pretty good movie without having that "you are watching a black film" B quality feel to it.

tumblr_l6lsv9OeJX1qbec8io1_400.jpg

Yeah its hard to find a black movie that likes to rub it in your face that its a black movie.

lightless_shado said:
Speaking of black movies, has anyone brought up tyler perry yet? or are we going to leave that subject alone
I guess it's and shit that he's the first black dude to have his movie studio, but all the characters and themes of any of his works are as outstanding and expansive as BET dramas.
His work aren't the best when it comes to featuring blacks in the starring role.

But you what was a great black movie?
blackdynamite.jpg

Dreams-Visions said:

Yea that's true. That mentality is still alive and well, and bred by our society in the US. Many darker skinned girls aren't given the chance of day while a dude will chase the plainest light skinned chick around; and of course that has an effect on the darker chicks who have probably been dealing with that since middle school, and then wind up being angry.

I always say you know you're in Detroit when you see ten blond women in ten minutes and none of them are white. That applies to a bunch of urban cities. Pretty sad. Obviously if someone wants to dye their hair there's nothing wrong with it, but often the goal is to make oneself look white

PhoenixDark said:

Damn, people like this make me sick, can't imagine how annoying she makes your job. Racial issue aside for a moment, working with anyone that is a pain in the ass for any reason is always terrible. You already loathe going to work, than there is this added tension of having to spend so much time with somebody you can't stand. It just builds up and eventually a job that should have been easy becomes the biggest hassle.

SSJ1Goku

Banned
PhoenixDark said:

http://www.generation-x.net/viewVideo.php?video_id=3876&title=DOUBLE_DICK_CLUTCHER

http://www.generation-x.net/viewVideo.php?video_id=4409&title=CHOICES_IN_BLACK_BEAUTY

I wanted to bring this subject up, probably in a thread but I thought it was too risky so I'll air it here.

There is a taboo within the non-black communities that you can't raise, in complaint, the misuse of the N word by black people. Well, there seems to be a similarly sensitive topic within black communities that isn't often raised but - in my opinion - known and that is the issue of beauty and skin colour, or shall I say skin tone.

I'm not sure if anyone here has come across it to this extent, but I'm pretty convinced now that black women who seem to have more 'Caucasian' facial features are interpreted to be prettier than those not. This is in contradiction to the fact that the current Miss World is West African herself. This observation came about in previous debates and conversations, and from judging the Net, it's been discussed before in photo comparisons. Most seem to prefer East African women to West African. There are some distinct differences in appearance between the two groups in some areas, but the implication of this goes beyond just East and West (or Sub-Saharan). The description given of West African women, for example, was particularly controversial - West Africans in general were seen as the stereotypical 'black' in terms of appearance.

In my parents culture, lighter skinned people are considered more attractive. There is a group of people there in that country, that originated from the West, but they speak the same language and everything. They're ostracised, from the comments I've gathered, mainly for their appearance. It's actually quite hurtful to hear Africans cussing another black African group for 'looking more black'. Those comments belonged in 50's America. Since then I've had this question in my mind, do people generally feel the lighter skin features are more attractive? In Africa, I would say yes for some groups. I've come across similar examples in some Indian South-Asian communities as well.

Has anyone come across this at home or with others?

SSJ1Goku

Banned
Meus Renaissance said:
I wanted to bring this subject up, probably in a thread but I thought it was too risky so I'll air it here.

There is a taboo within the non-black communities that you can't raise, in complaint, the misuse of the N word by black people. Well, there seems to be a similarly sensitive topic within black communities that isn't often raised but - in my opinion - known and that is the issue of beauty and skin colour, or shall I say skin tone.

I'm not sure if anyone here has come across it to this extent, but I'm pretty convinced now that black women who seem to have more 'Caucasian' facial features are interpreted to be prettier than those not. This is in contradiction to the fact that the current Miss World is West African herself. This observation came about in previous debates and conversations, and from judging the Net, it's been discussed before in photo comparisons. Most seem to prefer East African women to West African. There are some distinct differences in appearance between the two groups in some areas, but the implication of this goes beyond just East and West (or Sub-Saharan). The description given of West African women, for example, was particularly controversial - West Africans in general were seen as the stereotypical 'black' in terms of appearance.

In my parents culture, lighter skinned people are considered more attractive. There is a group of people there in that country, that originated from the West, but they speak the same language and everything. They're ostracised, from the comments I've gathered, mainly for their appearance. It's actually quite hurtful to hear Africans cussing another black African group for 'looking more black'. Those comments belonged in 50's America. Since then I've had this question in my mind, do people generally feel the lighter skin features are more attractive? In Africa, I would say yes for some groups. I've come across similar examples in some Indian South-Asian communities as well.

Your kind of all over the place. There is no such thing as lighter skin features besides the skin tone. Black people, mainly women, seem to have a problem understanding that there are light skin people that are ugly and dark skin people who are attrative. Infact those examples seem to really fuck black people up in the head, "Your pretty for a dark skin girl."

http://www.generation-x.net/viewVideo.php?video_id=2521&title=BUT_YOU_BETTER_NOT_PICK_THE_AFRICAN_CHICK

http://www.generation-x.net/viewVideo.php?video_id=4409&title=CHOICES_IN_BLACK_BEAUTY&vpkey=

Meus Renaissance said:

RE: the "misuse" of the N-word by black people? We can't misuse it. Ever.
It was used to cut us down for a jillion years, and it was decided that we're using it to NOT cut ourselves down anymore. So non-black people sort of have to deal with the fact that their usage of the word will almost never be colloquial, and ours almost always will be. It's just like that, and will be like that until the almost 400 years of subjugating black people in America can be ignored/forgotten/disavowed.

RE: looking more/less black and light-skinned v. dark-skinned...it's a complicated thing. Since the dawn of time, "black" has always had a negative connotation. I don't mean that simply from a racial/ethnic point of view - I mean that in a straight-up, literal etymological sense. "Black" has always implied things like evil, or the unknown, or darkness, and things like that.

Black magic.
Black flags.
The dark side of the moon.
Calling Africa the "dark continent" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Continent)
Heart of Darkness.
Black ops.

and so on. The idea of "black" isn't just the absence of color/light like it is supposed to be. There is a negativity associated with it too...and naturally, over centuries of time and countless generations of people that negativity was tied in with skin tone too - people with darker features are of lesser worth, or are potentially nefarious/evil/mysterious. As society became more keyed in on the "differences" between people, things associated with being "black" or "more black" acquired that negativity too. Bigger noses, plumper lips, wider hips, kinkier hair, and more prominent facial features became less desirable characteristics given that the people that generally DIDN'T have those features (white people) were those who ran shit in the world...so naturally, the societal thinking became "well, I'll have an easier go of life and people will like me more if I resemble the ruling class".

Can't fault people for thinking that way either...it makes sense, right? If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. If you can't join 'em, look the part at least.

And of course, over time this idea became built into society - and it creates a schism in the minority subsections of society about what "beauty" is. It's easy for people who have been fucked up for years by the ruling class to beat themselves up over things they perceive about themselves as wrong - especially when the society at large has collectively decided that those things are wrong in the first place. Why would you dig kinky hair if nobody else did? Why would you think dark skin was awesome if everyone else was trying to be less dark? This sort of thing plays right into the self-hatred that almost 400 years of non-white people getting shit on by white people caused...but what can you do really, except deal with it and move forward?J ust gotta start digging yourself for whatever you have, is all. I'm happy I'm nappy, and I got a nice-sized nose to breathe up all the white man's air. :lol
And I love my women with nice lips for easy kissing, and nice hips for that killer walk, and dangerous curves to get lost following. So sue me.

In the black community, there is that light-skinned v. dark-skinned thing...but it's not really a big thing, because we've got way too many issues just being black to begin with. So there are many beautiful people of all shades of color - and generally, we think of it that way. I'd like to believe in the other minority ethnic groups, things are more along those lines than not as well.

Tokubetsu said:
Best thing Based God has ever done:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz7Lpg4DF54

#toobased

oh my god the youtube comments

basedgod this music effects me on levels i dont even understand. that is why i stay based

:lol :lol :lol :lol

My favorite contribution from the based god which has the best youtube comment ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6FMTf2LRew

when my friends hope in my car and ask me: Do you have some dirty-south or some crunk or some reggae ... i tell em i got dat based music

:lol

thank-you-based-god.jpg

it's dat based music mayyyne

Top Bottom