• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

SmokyDave

I was pleasantly blazed and watching some old Tom 'n' Jerry cartoons when an interesting thought struck me. Thought you chaps might find the cultural difference interesting.

Basically, when I was a kid and I watched T&J, I always assumed that the black housekeeper was actually the owner of the house. It never struck me that she might in fact be hired help. I had no concept of how unlikely it was that a black woman in the South would own a huge house like that and nor did I have any experience of the mammy stereotype. It's only when I watched it as an adult that I clicked that she was the housekeeper.

Anyway, just thought you chaps might find that interesting. Stereotypes, and regional ignorance thereof comes up often on GAF.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I was pleasantly blazed and watching some old Tom 'n' Jerry cartoons when an interesting thought struck me. Thought you chaps might find the cultural difference interesting.

Basically, when I was a kid and I watched T&J, I always assumed that the black housekeeper was actually the owner of the house. It never struck me that she might in fact be hired help. I had no concept of how unlikely it was that a black woman in the South would own a huge house like that and nor did I have any experience of the mammy stereotype. It's only when I watched it as an adult that I clicked that she was the housekeeper.

Anyway, just thought you chaps might find that interesting. Stereotypes, and regional ignorance thereof comes up often on GAF.

I always noticed her gorrila hands!

Wiseblade

She was the housekeeper?! Man, that's depressing...

Onemic

Always tip, man.

My stance on tipping is different. In a restaurant I always tip, but the amount I tip is based 100% on the service of the waiter/waitress. If all I'm doing is getting 2 pitchers, I'm not gonna tip that much as the person servicing me doesn't really have to do shit. I don't believe in the whole 15% every time bullshit.

Of course when it comes to pizza delivery I only tip them about a dollar, as I'm already charged with a delivery service fee and that dollar probably amounts to the amount of fuel they used anyway, as its so close to my place(if it's even their car)

FreeMufasa

Holy shit, mind blown. Brit too and I always thought it was her house. Thinking back, it does make sense now lol.

I was fully grown before I recognized that ol' Aunt Jemima ass. I'm glad they only show her from the neck down, censored maybe? Also note the blackface they throw on Tom whenever his face gets blown up.

Blackace

I was fully grown before I recognized that ol' Aunt Jemima ass. I'm glad they only show her from the neck down, censored maybe? Also note the blackface they throw on Tom whenever his face gets blown up.

No by design.. Her face had only been shown once.

Man, they did that shit a lot in old cartoons and I didn't think anything of it as a kid.

Growing up, it's quite unsettling (and funny, when I think that I didn't really bat an eye to it when I was younger) to see it on YouTube videos again.

SmokyDave

Pre existing.

I think even Hattie McDaniel's role in Gone with the Wind predates it.

You're right, there's a Wiki page on it and it seems to go back hundreds of years. Crazy.

Yeah, I am. I always just assumed that she owned the house...
Same. She owned the house, Tom was her cat. I just took it for granted.

I'm going to dig out my Brer Rabbit books now and re-read them. See what I missed when I was younger. It's really interesting looking at that stuff now that I understand the period better.

Blackace

Man, they did that shit a lot in old cartoons and I didn't think anything of it as a kid.

Growing up, it's quite unsettling (and funny, when I think that I didn't really bat an eye to it when I was younger) to see it on YouTube videos again.

I just remember watching the Dukes of Hazard religiously and pops wouldn't say a thing as his sons watched the Duke boys climb into the General Lee and take care of business...

I couldn't even imagine what he thought about that situation lol

I just remember watching the Dukes of Hazard religiously and pops wouldn't say a thing as his sons watched the Duke boys climb into the General Lee and take care of business...

Yeah, my dad never pointed out any of that kind stuff in tv or even real life when I was younger.

As I got older and started asking him, he schooled me on these things.

SmokyDave

"When's Daisy back on and will she bend over?!"

That was every Dads priority when watching that show. Political stuff came second.

BTW her name is Mammy Two-Shoes

sugar-cookie.gif

Blackace

I had a muscle car obsession and desperately wanted a model of the General Lee but my broke-ass parents couldn't afford one :(

If twitter was around back then, I'd have made a right twat of myself.

Mine was the GI Joe aircraft carrier.. Every year I thought that this was the year I'd get it... I would have twitted some horrible thoughts..

Gattsu25

Banned

I knew about the pitiful history surrounding the confederate flag before I watched the dukes. I've only ever watched one episode of that show and it left me furious.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Just ain't seen you around.

naw man, i had some bullshit to deal with, so i wasnt posting as much as i would normally. that also means i missed some hilarious stuff in the past two weeks, but im back now more or less.

Slayven

naw man, i had some bullshit to deal with, so i wasnt posting as much as i would normally. that also means i missed some hilarious stuff in the past two weeks, but im back now more or less.

I hear ya, hope it is through. Need your help in stopping me from turning Tokugaf into Creepy Tokugaf.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I remember it hit me hard after becoming aware of racism. It's like I lost are part of my youth when I realized.

the guillotine was it for me. i still cant look at tom and jerry without getting angry. the housekeeper not so much since i used to watch the show with my grandma and she pointed that out for me.

Top Bottom