• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Slayven

you have a link or anything i could read about this?

Sadly the mod went scorched earth on the thread. But the same arguments crop up every once in a while.

Dwayne MacDuffie (RIP) was accused of promoting an agenda with the Black Panther and he called out that bullshit when he referenced the same fans would see it as believable that Batman could take on Galactus or Superman

1635034-247450_blackpanther14p08_super.jpg

Not sure if Macduffi wrote this but this shit is the kind of shit i am talking
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u16sKK-1oLQ

Here are a series of interviews on it
Christopher Priest wrote that, he single handed brought Black Panther out of Limbo and made him a major player in Marvel.

Lebron

Funny thread here. My favourite quote was something like this.

"You wouldn't cast Martin Luther King as a white man in an MLK movie now would you?"
The twist being that Phoenix said that.

But yes that was funny thread, just like the Jaden Smith in Karate Kid remake thread or Donald Glover as Spider-Man campaign. Oooh man, good times.

Lebron

He doesn't have to be, but does Peter Parker?
Still shouldn't be an issue, since it takes nothing away from the character. The same could said about somone like Blade being played by an Asian person, it would take nothing away from his character. Though someone like Black Panther would be a hard sale, since they would have to rework the whole character story if they decided to cast a White person to play him.

Nesotenso

Still shouldn't be an issue, since it takes nothing away from the character. The same could said about somone like Blade being played by an Asian person, it would take nothing away from his character. Though someone like Black Panther would be a hard sale, since they would have to rework the whole character story if they decided to cast a White person to play him.

Blade wouldn't be a problem but I wish people remembered more often that he is English. BP, absolutely no way, dude is from Africa !

Personally, I want people to stay true to the comics including Peter Parker. Just feels sacrilegious to me if you change race.

G-Fex

Blade wouldn't be a problem but I wish people remembered more often that he is English. BP, absolutely no way, dude is from Africa !

Personally, I want people to stay true to the comics including Peter Parker. Just feels sacrilegious to me if you change race.

so Batman or Daredevil can't be black?

Lebron

You can write them as black. With Matt it might be trickier because his Irish Catholic background is played up more. But I would prefer not changing races.
That's fine. I understand getting use to how a character was and not seeing that changed for the sake of changing. I remember flipping my shit with the Transformers designs in the movies and those were just robots. It's a slippery slope. These are fictional characters up to artist interpretation, so you have to expect certain changes to occur over the years as artist change. I simply have a problem with those who have a problem with a "non-white" playing as one of their beloved "white" heroes, that is the bullshit part. Though people still flipped their shit when Miles Morales was introduced as the replacement Spider-Man. I don't recall as much uproar when they would change Batman every now and then(Terry and Dick come to mind), granted they manged to link them as more of Bruce's children(Terry literally) so maybe it just made more sense. Who knows, it is what it is.

Nesotenso

That's fine. I understand getting use to how a character was and not seeing that changed for the sake of changing. I remember flipping my shit with the Transformers designs in the movies and those were just robots. It's a slippery slope. These are fictional characters up to artist interpretation, so you have to expect certain changes to occur over the years as artist change. I simply have a problem with those who have a problem with a "non-white" playing as one of their beloved "white" heroes, that is the bullshit part. Though people still flipped their shit when Miles Morales was introduced as the replacement Spider-Man. I don't recall as much uproar when they would change Batman every now and then(Terry and Dick come to mind), granted they manged to link them as more of Bruce's children(Terry literally) so maybe it just made more sense. Who knows, it is what it is.

With Miles Morales you had people who were genuinely spewing racist bullshit. I hated the way the whole USM thing was done with Peter's death which led me to drop the book. If Miles was the USM version from day one, I would have no problem with it. I hated the Ben Reilly bullshit during clone saga as well.

Basically I hate replacements and the idea that the best way to go ahead with diversity is to create derivatives and legacy characters.
Peter Parker, remaining white is just more of not wanting to see my favorite hero being changed. I wouldn't want Blade to be white even if there is leeway in his background and origin. Of course, there is the larger problem of turning one of the most popular POC character white.

Not even just that thread, but yes. "Worldstar" threads that get posted like no other races do dumb shit, Real pic gaf where I watched most of the black posters be virtually ignored once identified they were black. people talking about how they don't like black "features" as if we all look the same every time an attraction, or stealth hot women thread pops up.

Sometimes i just get my fill of OT gaf I have to fall back and remind myself while gaf is a cool place to visit, there's still a lot of ignorant, bigoted people who post here.

I noticed the same thing in the Show off Your Girfriend threads. People fawning over mediocre ass white chicks. Cute black GF gets posted....no quotes lol.

Top Bottom