• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Azure J

Probably getting ready for this

mlk-bash.jpg

First time in a good long time I've checked this thread and damn.

Just damn.

Didnt care to much for Medicine for Melancholy. It was interesting at first then it got kinda boring. I hated the sound effects, transitional weirdness. Movie tried to be too artsy for its own good. I did think the soundtrack was great. It didnt help that I watched Before Sunset with Ethan Hawke the same day, because in premise they are similar, but Before Sunset has awesome dialog, and i couldnt help but do comparisons.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I'm not going to do anything over the top Satch. I'm cool with devo and pro knows I got no beef with her. Its just irritating as fuck when you've got a good fun, community thread like that and it devolves into 15 people quoting the same post over and over trying to get noticed.

and anything is better than making me go outside and pick my own switch :|
My old flame, Ariel Meredith.

I, too, love beautiful women.

Slayven

I'm not going to do anything over the top Satch. I'm cool with devo and pro knows I got no beef with her. Its just irritating as fuck when you've got a good fun, community thread like that and it devolves into 15 people quoting the same post over and over trying to get noticed.

and anything is better than making me go outside and pick my own switch :|

I, too, love beautiful women.

Getting beat with a Ked is not better.

Imm0rt4l

Just watched Harlem Nights for the first time in years. It was like watching it for the first time. So good.

I haven't watched that since I was a kid, seeing as I didn't really understand everything I was watching I should probably give it a watch sometimes. I remember my mom hated that I would sometimes watch Raw which had me cursing up a storm. Eddie Murphy was just that dude in the late 80's.

Lebron

Eddie was indeed the shit back in the day.

Hell, I even like that The Golden Child movie. He could do no wrong. The downfall has been painful to watch.

Imm0rt4l

My Godson greeted me at the door with "Whats really good nyuukkkaa!!". He's 4 years old and Filipino, his favorite character on the boondocks is obviously stinkmeiner. lol.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
It's MLK Day!

Best thing about this day, NBA all day and no class.

MLK would have compared today's players to the golden age of hoops and come to the same conclusion as everyone else that they pussies

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/01/getting-more-to-care-about-missing-black-women/

I knew the whole "missing white women syndrome" the media has was bad, but 40% of missing persons aren't white? Didn't know it was that high.

And going by the numbers, 33% of missing people are black.

would it really help anyway since to so many non-black people, all black people look alike?

White do white women keep losing their kids?

they've got money so they aren't worried about the tax credit...

Wait....we have this stereotype too now? I've heard it applied to East Asians a lot but never black people.

There have been studies that suggest that this happens to every group to some extent, even white people who have a similar phenotype. Obviously it's difficult to confuse people with obvious, less nuanced differences like hair color (You wouldn't confuse Christina Hendricks with January Jones for instance), but it's not out of bounds for non-white groups to think that say "All Swedes look similar" or something. There was a really good book on this, I will try and track it down.

But yeah, that's a stereotype (At least in America), surprised you've never heard it. I think that Samuel L Jackson and Laurence Fishborne have said that they used to get confused with one another a lot.

You would be surprised at how....out of touch some whites are when it comes to blacks and black culture. For instance, when Beyonce had her baby, I saw the comment section of some places saying things like "Isn't he that fuck who attacked Taylor Swift" and "Wasn't he the one that said Bush hates blacks, I wonder how he feels about Obama hating whites!" and so on and so fourth.....actually quite funny in a way.

Edit : I don't think that confusing people is necessarily racist, mind you. Common sense dictates that people of a similar background should look similar.

RedSwirl

It should be noted that GTA:SA is #3 all-time is sales, and my personal favorite because they included everything possible for an open world game.

It should also be noted that the PS2 version of GTA:SA alone is the top-selling game ever released on PlayStation hardware.

...but yes I will admit that I related to the characters in SA more than those of any other GTA game.

Slayven

It's my money and I want it now. I'm making it rain with my refund check. And I'll be back to borrowing gas money by next week.

Sad part is, everyone knows someone like this.

Edit:

"Each tree has 56 oranges. If eight slaves pick them equally, then how much would each slave pick?"

Anybody have math problems like this growing up?

Borrowing gas money for a car that has rims on it that are worth more then the rest of the car.

Borrowing gas money for a car that has rims on it that are worth more then the rest of the car.

oh man, the pizza guy that delivered pizza a month ago... he had the most piece of shit car i ever saw... i mean, i don't have a car and i felt bad for him... BUT HE HAD A FLY ASS SET OF RIMS!!!

Top Bottom