• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Lebron said:
I did, however, learn my lesson after she slashed me with some scissors, but that's another story.
I think the time for that story is now. What the hell happened?

Lebron

Parallax said:
I think the time for that story is now. What the hell happened?
:lol

Basically, she was tripping off Xanex somehow and locked herself in the bathroom. I found out, confronted her through the door. Ended up saying we were done since I don't like druggies, which was a bad idea. She comes out, starts flipping her shit. Whips out some scissors she had on her(no idea wtf they came from since she had on vball shorts) and started cutting her arm. I tried to stop her, which led to her slashing at me. Got me on my right hand a few times, then got me good on my left shoulder going all the way down to my left pectoral. It actually kind of looks cool all healed up now, but yeah, that was the end of that relationship :p

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Lebron said:
:lol

Basically, she was tripping off Xanex somehow and locked herself in the bathroom. I found out, confronted her through the door. Ended up saying we were done since I don't like druggies, which was a bad idea. She comes out, starts flipping her shit. Whips out some scissors she had on her(no idea wtf they came from since she had on vball shorts) and started cutting her arm. I tried to stop her, which led to her slashing at me. Got me on my right hand a few times, then got me good on my left shoulder going all the way down to my left pectoral. It actually kind of looks cool all healed up now, but yeah, that was the end of that relationship :p
Damn! What brought her back down to earth? I'd imagine that it was hard not to do something forceful to her after that.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Dreams-Visions said:
ea but Go Hard or Go Home, Tell Me When To Go, and U and Dat were the SHIT back in the day.

In Major Way was the true shit..

Also Charlie Hustle was an awesome album.

I also liked Earl with the remade colors beat by Lil John

Blackace said:
Who are some rappers that you guys want to get more love?

For me it is E-40 and my guilty pleasure, Andre Nickatina/Dre Dog

You are obviously from The Yay Area

Dreams-Visions said:
ea but Go Hard or Go Home, Tell Me When To Go, and U and Dat were the SHIT back in the day.

Back in the day!? that was like 4 years ago!! And everywhere I would go I would hear "White Gurl, white gurl, I got that whiiiiiiite gurl!" & "Ghost Ride tha Whip, ghost ride tha whip"

BlackNMild2k1 said:

Back in the day!? that was like 4 years ago!! And everywhere I would go I would hear "White Gurl, white gurl, I got that whiiiiiiite gurl!" & "Ghost Ride tha Whip, ghost ride tha whip"
that had to be a solid 5 years ago. maybe 6. Okay, not long enough ago to be old skool. just felt like a really long time ago for some reason.

I remember the first time I heard the song to. at a NSBE leadership conference. Everyone from the Bay got in a bigass circle on some African type tribal dance shit and started banging their heads and bugging out. I was inspired. :lol

I can't be the only one who thinks E-40 has a goofy voice. I'm not even commenting on his lyrical talent or rapping ability. I'm just saying . . . he sounds goofy

Dreams-Visions said:
that had to be a solid 5 years ago. maybe 6. Okay, not long enough ago to be old skool. just felt like a really long time ago for some reason.

I remember the first time I heard the song to. at a NSBE leadership conference. Everyone from the Bay got in a bigass circle on some African type tribal dance shit and started banging their heads and bugging out. I was inspired. :lol

My Ghetto Repoirt Card came out in 2006
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Ghetto_Report_Card

it's almost 5 years ago at this point.

You know I met both E-40 & B-Legit. they are both HUGE fuckin people.
I'm 5'11" 220lbs and they made me feel(and look) really fuckin small.

and I think E-40 mainstream problem is not his voice, but his vocabulary. It's hard to keep up with him if your not up on the E Feezy vernacular.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
BlackNMild2k1 said:

Naw from Seattle.. The Port.

But Bay rappers have deep ties with Washington..

C-Bo and the Click were always up there.

D-Shot had a studio in Tacoma..

DY_nasty said:
"See thats what I mean, you won't even fight for me"
fffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

The shame is heavy... but Lupe.

Even though that just means that his bitchassness will prevail. I love to hear him rap, but goddamn he turned out to be a self-absorbed punk.

I know what you mean. Lupe's probably my favorite lyricist period aside from Nas, but his attitude is pretty ... yeah. Glad Lasers has a release date and we'll get a single next week.

Another rapper that I want to get recognized more is Blu.

spindashing said:

God YES.

Below the Heavens is probably the best rap album I've listened to in the last 5 years...I don't know what his deal is with releases, though.

Too many talented kids in the rap game get caught up in the whole backpack vs. commercial matrix and never get on point with things. For every Lupe Fiasco (and even he is fucking himself up in the battle to stay "authentic"), you have a million Blu/Mickey Factz/Charles Hamiltons.

Zoramon089 said:
I can't be the only one who thinks E-40 has a goofy voice.

Well no shit. Thats like saying ODB had a goofy voice. Its part of his appeal bro. You're not supposed to take his raps seriously like he's Common or something. He's a party rapper.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Himuro said:
That song is okay.

Dude can certainly flow though.

What kind of themes does this guy cover?
You haven't heard Below The Heavens yet?!

DY_nasty said:
Best album of that year.

And I had a huge Lupe bias at the time.

Yeah I was gunna say that. It surprised the hell outta me. The Cool is a good album and all, but Below the Heavens is just something else. It was a huge breath of fresh air, and it came from a West Coast MC to boot.

Himuro said:
People keep suggesting it but I haven't gotten to it. Sure I'll be disappointed considering the amount of hype it has gotten.
Well you like Lady Gaga so I'm sure it can't be that hard to please you.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Himuro said:
People keep suggesting it but I haven't gotten to it. Sure I'll be disappointed considering the amount of hype it has gotten.
It hasn't got nearly enough.

btw Blu needs Exile like Clipse needs Pharrell
Himuro said:
Bet you Lady Gaga can write a better song than Blu.
Ain't even heard shit and ready to hate.... just like a

okay n***as.

KDEYQ.jpg

IT'S SAPP TIME.

INOCHI~

Himuro said:
I have different standards depending on genre.

For hip hop, I have ridiculous standards when it comes to lyrics, themes, and content. I treat it like poetry, basically.

Bet you Lady Gaga can write a better song than Blu.

Just go listen to the album already.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
So black-gaf or African gaf.
Has this ever happened to you?
I just got offered a marriage proposal ( as in, marry my daughter please), and this isn't the first time either.
My answer?
I just laugh it off and tell them to talk to my mom about it. "That end of the business is handled by my mom".

My mom talks to me, in a way where she's implying I should get married.
Actually, my mother told me just a few days ago that if I haven't settled down by the time I'm 23 ( that's 1.5 to 2 years from now), she will 'force' me to marry.

So black-gaf, I might not be in the game for long any more. :(

Imm0rt4l

Veidt said:
So black-gaf or African gaf.
Has this ever happened to you?
I just got offered a marriage proposal ( as in, marry my daughter please), and this isn't the first time either.
My answer?
I just laugh it off and tell them to talk to my mom about it. "That end of the business is handled by my mom".

My mom talks to me, in a way where she's implying I should get married.
Actually, my mother told me just a few days ago that if I haven't settled down by the time I'm 23 ( that's 1.5 to 2 years from now), she will 'force' me to marry.

So black-gaf, I might not be in the game for long any more. :(

She's your QUEEEEEN TO BEEE...

Time to sow your royal oats.

Fox the Sly

Himuro said:
Pinko brought Gaga into this here discussion, man. That shit right there is war. How you dudes can dig stuff like Teena Marie but not Lady Gaga baffles me.

Um... hmmm. I never listened to any Lady Gaga songs outside of one of her early performances before she became strange. I guess I'll have to check her out now if that comparison is valid.

Top Bottom