• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
The light skin = beauty perception, arguably, isn't a Western one. It has history (older than television and magazines) in the East as well from what I've read.

"I didn't have much of a career apart from the odd editorial or campaign and the fact is that fairer-skinned models have found more success in India," she says. The prejudice Menon faced is nothing new in the subcontinent. The misconception that darker skinned Indians are somehow inferior and less desirable than their fairer counterparts has existed for centuries. "In the ancient scriptures, epics, or folk tales, the good character is always portrayed as being fair in complexion, suggesting that the fair are fair dealing and the dark complexioned has evil intentions," explains Shyamala Bhatia, an associate professor in history at the Bharati College, University of Delhi.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/jul/19/india-fair-skinned-beauty

Eastern stereotypes are mostly stem from rich/poor status

rich are fair

darkies are poor

FreeMufasa

Black Gaf, has anyone come across a Ms Morello type character in their life? always wanted to know why they act/feel this way lmao

0.jpg

lol yes. My year 6 teacher was Ms Morello but not as extreme. She absoloutely loved black culture and tried so hard to understand us (me and a friend who were the only black pupils). Beyonce was like her idol and she'd play independant woman everyday in class.

We had class performances once and for our class she decided we'd do a rap. During auditions a white kid had an incredible performance but she didn't care. She egged me into auditioning and I did what was the crappest rap performance ever. But she was all "Oh wow, the energy, the style; You're amazing! you have the part!!"

Still, I credit her pushing me so hard academically. Of all the teachers i've ever had, she's by far my favourite. I found her on facebook a few days ago actually, still sexy as ever. Was too pussy to add her or message her though.

Onemic

meh, dumb girls being dumb

Real question though, what's with he beef that gaf has against WSHH? I've never understood it as it's really just another tube site, but with hip hop culture being the driving force. I've never personally visited the site, but I know plenty of my friends that do(white and black). It seems like its hated for no real reason, especially when most of the supposed bad videos are also released on youtube.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

Real question though, what's with he beef that gaf has against WSHH? I've never understood it as it's really just another tube site, but with hip hop culture being the driving force. I've never personally visited the site, but I know plenty of my friends that do(white and black). It seems like its hated for no real reason, especially when most of the supposed bad videos are also released on youtube.
WSHH pushes dumb shit like few others

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy

Because of the rampant ignorance it displays and the owners being absolute assholes about things. At the very least, I can find other things to watch on youtube, or use youtube's movie service or whatever. There is no saving grace for that site, unless you count the girl section.

Not even mad, there are so many ghetto ass black people here in Florida. I really need to wear a "black people stop embarrassing me" shirt every time I leave my own neighborhood.

After moving here I went almost two years before meeting another black person in a corporate environment. But they sure do have those service jobs on lock, go to any tourist spot and you see nothing but black people waiting, cleaning up or at the register. I couldn't figure it out until I found out Florida has the lowest graduation rate in the US for black males. If you can't even get a HS degree you can't do shit in life.

lol who is this "black" friend she has, who hates "niggers" but not black people? reminds me of that black dude who was filmed trying to differentiate "niggers and black people." smdh.

I hate ignorant ass niggas and LOVE black people. Of course I would never communicate this to any white people I know I have but that's how I feel. It's really no different than a white person who hates white trash.

FreeMufasa

People made that association in the West as well. Those who were tanned were considered to have got that complexion from outdoor labour work and so were deemed poor.

Are you talking about western/northern Europe? I always thought it was the other way round.

Rich people with time on their hands were able to visit exotic places and come back with tans, whilst the poor were generally more pale.

$hawty

Banned
Black Dynamite is overrated. Another case of GAF hyping lackluster stuff.

Not even mad, there are so many ghetto ass black people here in Florida. I really need to wear a "black people stop embarrassing me" shirt every time I leave my own neighborhood.

After moving here I went almost two years before meeting another black person in a corporate environment. But they sure do have those service jobs on lock, go to any tourist spot and you see nothing but black people waiting, cleaning up or at the register. I couldn't figure it out until I found out Florida has the lowest graduation rate in the US for black males. If you can't even get a HS degree you can't do shit in life.

I am not my hair huh?

DY_nasty

We need a Shan and a Riskychris, they are good for toning down other posters that are not quite right.

God no.

RiskyChris is the worst. God forbid you ever speak of a delicate flower in his presence...

Lebron

We need a Shan and a Riskychris, they are good for toning down other posters that are not quite right.

Shan? That thing wasn't even a real person. It clearly had to be a bot or something, or a troll account random people had access to.

Risky was nuttier than Mariah Carey off her meds.

DY_nasty

How risky was RiskyChris? I don't remember him. And I still can't believe out of all things, Londa got banned for some BS. What can you do.
RiskyChris was the white knight. If you weren't holding a door open for a woman, you were wrong.

Oh, you like looking at pictures of barely-clothed women? Heathen. Rape-supporters like you make me sick.

Slayven

RiskyChris was the white knight. If you weren't holding a door open for a woman, you were wrong.

Oh, you like looking at pictures of barely-clothed women? Heathen. Rape-supporters like you make me sick.

And if you were holding the door open you were implying she was weak.

I think Shan was incredibly naive or had some awesomely complex meta joke posting thing going on.

extremely lttp but i just finished season 2 of the wire

Brother Mouzone is awesome

" you know what the most dangerous thing in america is? nigga with a library card "

Cant wait to see where he goes in S3

Top Bottom