• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Lebron

No one's pourin' any 40's for GJB??
And waste a good 40?

FTroh.gif

This is somewhat related to this thread.

I was in a small restaurant earlier where the table beside me, two women, were discussing the marriage of one of their sisters. She said "It would have caused bigger problems, say, if she married a white guy or something". Now, the only reason I took notice of this was because a few white people sat on opposite tables and they all looked up and turned around in that general direction towards where the two women sat. Can only imagine what was going their minds at that point but it was quite awkward. First time I've ever had that type of experience in a crowded public place where conversations are easily overheard.

justjohn

I was in a small restaurant earlier where the table beside me, two women, were discussing the marriage of one of their sisters. She said "It would have caused bigger problems, say, if she married a white guy or something". Now, the only reason I took notice of this was because a few white people sat on opposite tables and they all looked up and turned around in that general direction towards where the two women sat. Can only imagine what was going their minds at that point but it was quite awkward. First time I've ever had that type of experience in a crowded public place where conversations are easily overheard.

what race were they?

Imm0rt4l

GJB was an odd duck, half the time I could never tell where he was coming from.

Given his contarian nature, it was probably the exact opposite of whatever position you held.

According to GJB

Lana Del Rey is some sort of Goddess
President Obama is not black(lol)
No such thing as a pretty Hatian

Yea, that's not insensitive at all!! smh

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I don't know where I was when he wrote this, hell was Spin even around? I mean damn man

Yeah, if he was around any other black people when he said that out loud - Or better yet, at a barbershop, church, or basketball court...

ZYfKa.gif

A few weeks ago I went to a basketball game with my dad and two of his friends; it was a University of Michigan home game. As we were walking from the arena after the game with a large crowd, my dad and his friends started talking about the Detroit Pistons and how they suck. At one point the argument turned to the NBA draft a few years ago when the Pistons selected Darko Milicic (a tall white European player) over Carmelo Anthony, who was generally regarded as the best player available; Milicic became a bust whereas Anthony has been an all-star player in the NBA. Anyway one of the guys argued Darko was chosen because the team's white owner wanted him to be selected, and forced the (black) general manager to select him over the much better (black) player; my dad and the other friend expressed agreement with this sentiment and continued the discussion for awhile. I couldn't help but cringe at the oblivious nature of their conversation.

My dad isn't not one of those "blame white people all day" types, but I do notice his tone (and speaking pattern) changes when he's around some of his black friends. I think most people are familiar with this. He was born in Detroit but is a dentist in the suburbs now, so his dialect changes depending on who he's around (similar to what Obama does when he's speaking at a black church, for instance).

I assumed everyone changed their dialect depending on the situation? How I talk with my boys on Xbox Live, humping defeated foes in Gears of War, couldn't be further to how I sound around my grandma when I visit her house, which can also be pretty different to how I sound talking to PWC executives in Houston.

I think it's going to be me. I know 2 dudes are after me.

Lol, reveal them to us

A few weeks ago I went to a basketball game with my dad and two of his friends; it was a University of Michigan home game. As we were walking from the arena after the game with a large crowd, my dad and his friends started talking about the Detroit Pistons and how they suck. At one point the argument turned to the NBA draft a few years ago when the Pistons selected Darko Milicic (a tall white European player) over Carmelo Anthony, who was generally regarded as the best player available; Milicic became a bust whereas Anthony has been an all-star player in the NBA. Anyway one of the guys argued Darko was chosen because the team's white owner wanted him to be selected, and forced the (black) general manager to select him over the much better (black) player; my dad and the other friend expressed agreement with this sentiment and continued the discussion for awhile. I couldn't help but cringe at the oblivious nature of their conversation.

My dad isn't not one of those "blame white people all day" types, but I do notice his tone (and speaking pattern) changes when he's around some of his black friends. I think most people are familiar with this. He was born in Detroit but is a dentist in the suburbs now, so his dialect changes depending on who he's around (similar to what Obama does when he's speaking at a black church, for instance).

Reminds me a bit of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2M7x1JzxLUg#t=06s

Lol I like this especially

http://youtu.be/Cj67PpFf8Vc

Holy fuck is this serious?? Fucking CRYME TIME?? There is no outrage over this stereotypical shit?? Do black people not watch wrestling??

You do NOT want to see the match Cryme Time had after they split up and started feuding with each other. Just....no.

I won't lie though; Cryme Time, as over-the-fucking-top as they were, still are my favorite tag-team.

Come on man you know some of the small towns they wrestle in are the only time some of those people see black people in person. Way to play into stupid ass hood stereotypes. I know it's not serious but still, shit is lame as fuck.

Its not like the whole roster is Cryme Time kind of stuff. David Otunga, for example, is an (actual) Harvard lawyer who does smarmy badguy shit

david_otunga_131224.jpg

I think that's the fun in having a big roster is you can have a large variety of characters with different races, genders, and personalities.

Come on man you know some of the small towns they wrestle in are the only time some of those people see black people in person. Way to play into stupid ass hood stereotypes. I know it's not serious but still, shit is lame as fuck.

I think they are the last Stereotypical Black Wrestlers™, though. Currently, there's:

R-Truth, who is doing a sort of insanity gimmick right now, but is running with it like nobody else can.
Mark Henry, who was champion for a good number of months until a legit injury forced him to take a break (and even then he still wouldn't leave)
Ezekial Jackson...well he's not a stereotype, but he's dull as dirt.
Kofi Kingston...he WAS the "hey I'm from Jamaica mon" guy for a while, but they dropped that in the weirdest way.

The WWE is improving, although at a glacier's pace.

EDIT: Forgot about Otunga. Dude is as cheesy and smarmy as it gets. :lol

DY_nasty

Yep, every time. It's like the closer they get to "passing" the more disastrous it usually is. You've had some... curious... opinions yourself as of late.

Pro-Cop?

Anti-Affirmative Action?

tumblr_lthfqgjRfm1qbtq3to1_400.gif
I'm pro-cop to a degree. There are TONS of cases where a cop is clearly in the wrong. You don't have to reach to find them either. But after being on the other side of it all one a couple of occasions now... my stance has changed pretty drastically from what is was just two years ago. Cops just want to go home at the end of the day like everyone else.

As for aa... Im not against it. I do think it needs a reform in some areas though.

Tyra over Pam Grier? Vivica over ROBIN GIVENS?

I mean, IRL I'd probably give it to Dash too, but in the context of the show, Pam all the way. Tyra is a DAMN close second, though.

DY_nasty

the dumbest was Queen Latifah over PRIME Jasmine Guy

you know, before her features imploded.

Prime Jasmine Guy could've done anything to me. ANYTHING.

Victoria Lowell got disrespected with the seeding too. Elise Neal got fucked up by the seeding though. She was fiiiiiiiiiine. Even on the Hughleys. fiiiiiiiiiiiiine.

man...in the context of the show, it'd be hard for me to not give it to Pam Grier.

anyone that's seen that episode will probably agree lol.

Yeah, Big Wille Style dropped the ball in that episode.

And to be fair, it's really hard to go wrong with any of his 'girlfriends'. Except maybe Queen Latifah.

that was all rigged so the all star game would have carmelo vs lebron. darko was a patsy.

DY_nasty

Just googled Elise Neal. Still hnnnnnnnnnng'n to this day. My wifey still got it.
Yeah, Big Wille Style dropped the ball in that episode.

And to be fair, it's really hard to go wrong with any of his 'girlfriends'. Except maybe Queen Latifah.

Queen is cool. She's.... cool. I can't really hate on her. Something about her makes me want to, but I can't. Same with Missy Elliot. I can't hate either of them.

Jill Scott can eat a dick though.

Top Bottom