• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
She dated Rick Ross!?

I don't even know if I want to live on this planet anymore.

Queen is cool. She's.... cool. I can't really hate on her. Something about her makes me want to, but I can't. Same with Missy Elliot. I can't hate either of them.

Jill Scott can eat a dick though.

I was always kinda just "whatever" on Missy, enjoyed some of her music but didn't really care about her too much. Then I heard her line on "Bounce" where she goes "oh no hell naw like Britney Spears I wear no draws" and I cracked the fuck up. She's alright in my eyes, even for the strangest of fucking reasons.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
the dumbest was Queen Latifah over PRIME Jasmine Guy

you know, before her features imploded.

im still trying to figure that one out.

who the hell gave it to queen in that scenario? there has to be some reasoning involved with placing her higher that goes past looks.

Jill Scott can eat a dick though.

whats up with jill scott? i dont really pay attention to the chick.

DY_nasty

Jill Scott says a lot of dumb, ignorance-reinforcing shit.
I was always kinda just "whatever" on Missy, enjoyed some of her music but didn't really care about her too much. Then I heard her line on "Bounce" where she goes "oh no hell naw like Britney Spears I wear no draws" and I cracked the fuck up. She's alright in my eyes, even for the strangest of fucking reasons.

Missy is cool as hell. One of the last people with a true style in the music industry (one that isn't completely carrymeintotheshowinaegg ridiculous either).

Her sock it to me vid is a classic. Her dance joints set a bar. And she's just a really, really cool person.

ReiGun

I always wanted Will to get with Tyra's character. Out of all his girlfriends, I like her interactions with him the best. Though, Tisha Campbell's appearance gave me one of my favorite episodes.

I'm stuck in basment
Sitting on a tricycle
Girl getting on my nerves
Going out of my mind
I thought she was fine
Don't know if her body is hers

Yo that scene had me crying. I break down when it comes on to this day.

DY_nasty

ahh, that shit. she needs to get the fuck over it. isnt common on the same interracial thing?

Common says it too... implies it more than anything really. Through some lyrics or whatnot. Jill Scott is openly anti-interracial.

DominoKid

Common dated Serena AND never got some of that magic Badu pussy. I don't take his views on women & relationships seriously.

I always wanted Will to get with Tyra's character. Out of all his girlfriends, I like her interactions with him the best. Though, Tisha Campbell's appearance gave me one of my favorite episodes.

I'm stuck in basment
Sitting on a tricycle
Girl getting on my nerves
Going out of my mind
I thought she was fine
Don't know if her body is hers

Yo that scene had me crying. I break down when it comes on to this day.

that whole basement scene is fucking hilarious. especially Will's reaction when Tisha pulled all her nails off.

DY_nasty

I remember when everyone was sure that Common was going to get with Alicia Keys and save hip hop

Common says it too... implies it more than anything really. Through some lyrics or whatnot. Jill Scott is openly anti-interracial.

As I understood it, she wasn't saying that she was against interracial marriage on an intellectual level but that she 'felt her spirit wince' when she would see an accomplished black man with a white woman. I thought she wasn't trying to portray her gut feelings as a positive but as a flaw within her and her feelings. I could be wrong though, I didn't follow it too closely.

As I understood it, she wasn't saying that she was against interracial marriage on an intellectual level but that she 'felt her spirit wince' when she would see an accomplished black man with a white woman. I thought she wasn't trying to portray her gut feelings as a positive but as a flaw within her and her feelings. I could be wrong though, I didn't follow it too closely.

I'm sorry but there's no way you can say the above in a positive light, it is what it is. Even if it isn't meant to be down right mean.

DY_nasty

Yeah, then people started feeling lesbian vibes off her but then she got w/ Swizz Beatz.

Somehow I would be more comfortable with the former.

That was back when she did that video with Eve right? Yeah...

Still, anything or anyone would've been better than Swizz.

I'm sorry but there's no way you can say the above in a positive light, it is what it is. Even if it isn't meant to be down right mean.

I know, that's what I said. I don't think she was trying to portray it as a positive. Again I could be wrong, it's been some time now.

Edit: My cousin was slack jawed when the news about Keys and Swizzy hit.

I don't care as long as Megan Good and Logan Browning wait for me.

Ugh. Why so many black women gotta be like that?

I'm not sure how prevalent it is, but there are many black women who feel black men are obligated to marry within the race. Black guys have little problem dating and marrying outside their race but polls show black women don't.

I find it odd that their dating prospects are so low considering black women are more likely to have an education and not be in jail than black men. You'd think they would have decent options, including white men.

All I remember is that dialogue from Save the Last Dance where his sister is talking to the white girl and she basically says "you white girls don't have enough and you gotta take all the good brothers too?"

I just kind of looked like this when that scene happened.

Jy3VP.gif

One thing I've always wondered is why many Black people say Black man and Black woman and say White boy and White girl. Have you guys noticed this and do you think there's a reason for this?

One thing I've always wondered is why many Black people say Black man and Black woman and say White boy and White girl. Have you guys noticed this and do you think there's a reason for this?

One thing that bothers me more than it should is how people say "man" but still say "girl" in reference to a grown woman. I haven't heard too much of what you're talking about, I hear ____ girl all of the time. And I hear ____ guy more often than man/boy.

Whenever I hear "white girl" it's almost always in a demeaning manner. Like "white girls do anything, that's why you niggas like them," something a black girl I know said to me recently

Whenever I hear "white girl" it's almost always in a demeaning manner. Like "white girls do anything, that's why you niggas like them," something a black girl I know said to me recently

Yeah That's how I hear it used a lot too. Or in the case of guys it will be about how lame white boys are or something like that.

Haven't really noticed this myself.

Yeah, I've heard this. Pretty shitty thing to say.

Also, listen to the master on this subject.

In my experience race is often invoked by black and asian friends/classmates when referring to others (whose name they do not know). We live in a multi-ethnic area so it helps when describing someone to also refer to their skin colour. I rarely hear that with my white friends/classmates. I don't bring the subject up though on the fear they may question my motive

Whenever a black chick denegrates white chicks I really want to ask "so why do 70% of black women have children out of wedlock?" Which is kind of harsh, but I gotta say all that anti-white people shit pisses me off.

I've never been crazy about white chicks, except one. I don't chase them or whatever, I like all women. So when I get accused of that for just TALKING to a white chick yea, I get pissed.

Because when you say "the white man" it just sounds negative. If I was white I'd rather be called "white boy", sounds cooler and more endearing. First time I've ever given this thought though lol.

Whenever a black chick denegrates white chicks I really want to ask "so why do 70% of black women have children out of wedlock?" Which is kind of harsh, but I gotta say all that anti-white people shit pisses me off.

I've never been crazy about white chicks, except one. I don't chase them or whatever, I like all women. So when I get accused of that for just TALKING to a white chick yea, I get pissed.

I think there's just a big ol' insecurity there, which isn't completely their fault since they're told all of the time how "ugly" they are by the mainstream advertising and such. But at the same time so many don't help themselves by internalizing it to the degree that they do or targeting black men with their ire. Then they wonder why black men don't want shit to do with them.

I think there's just a big ol' insecurity there, which isn't completely their fault since they're told all of the time how "ugly" they are by the mainstream advertising and such. But at the same time so many don't help themselves by internalizing it to the degree that they do or targeting black men with their ire. Then they wonder why black men don't want shit to do with them.

Yea there's definitely jealousy there, and unfortunately it's re-enforced daily by media and music; Lil Wayne, Rick Ross, and others have constantly made comments about "red bones" being the best black women, "good" hair etc. So I certainly understand why some would be upset.

I just wish we could see more confident black women not afraid to try different things, more locks, less weaves, etc.

Likewise I'd like to see more black guys stop re-enforcing stereotypes on western beauty standards. Light skin doesn't make someone beautiful, stop chasing after black chicks because of the color of their skin.

The light skin = beauty perception, arguably, isn't a Western one. It has history (older than television and magazines) in the East as well from what I've read.

"I didn't have much of a career apart from the odd editorial or campaign and the fact is that fairer-skinned models have found more success in India," she says. The prejudice Menon faced is nothing new in the subcontinent. The misconception that darker skinned Indians are somehow inferior and less desirable than their fairer counterparts has existed for centuries. "In the ancient scriptures, epics, or folk tales, the good character is always portrayed as being fair in complexion, suggesting that the fair are fair dealing and the dark complexioned has evil intentions," explains Shyamala Bhatia, an associate professor in history at the Bharati College, University of Delhi.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/jul/19/india-fair-skinned-beauty

Just to share on my mind, I remember talking a friend when she mentioned to me someone was taken aback by her heritage. because of how she looked.

She told the guy said wow you're so pretty that's hard to believe. Of course I played it off low key like wow that's not cool to say. where in my head I'm like what the hell bro?! Gah!

Obligatory all shades/flavors of chocolate are welcomed & appreciated. Man if I ever wanted a tag on gaf that line would be it.

man...in the context of the show, it'd be hard for me to not give it to Pam Grier.

anyone that's seen that episode will probably agree lol.

That was a double-win for Will though. Can't remember if he smanged the daughter (Elise Neal). But yea, Tyra, Pam and Stacey are the finalists, any of them with no complaints.

Light skin doesn't make someone beautiful, stop chasing after black chicks because of the color of their skin.

*dap*

I feel like we target each other with the hate a lot. I mean I remember people talking crap to me basically saying we don't like you because you're light-skinned. I mean dark-skinned people get hate and sometimes they direct to others and light-skinned folks turn it back just causing a vicious cycle.

Onemic

The skin tone thing definitely isn't western only. Why do you think Filipinos are pretty much the most hated race among asians? Or Tamils?

I feel like we target each other with the hate a lot. I mean I remember people talking shit to me basically saying we don't like you because you're light-skinned. I mean dark-skinned people get hate and sometimes they direct to others and light-skinned folks turn it back just causing a vicious cycle.

Are you a girl?
pics plz

SmokyDave

Because when you say "the white man" it just sounds negative. If I was white I'd rather be called "white boy", sounds cooler and more endearing. First time I've ever given this thought though lol.

I like 'Whitey' personally. Don't know why, it just sounds right for a casual reference. 'White boy' would (almost) insult me as a 31 year old man.

I don't know the history of 'Whitey' and I don't know how others feel about it, but I like it. Mind you, my nickname was 'Dirty White Boy' as a kid so maybe I'm odd.

I feel like we target each other with the hate a lot. I mean I remember people talking shit to me basically saying we don't like you because you're light-skinned. I mean dark-skinned people get hate and sometimes they direct to others and light-skinned folks turn it back just causing a vicious cycle.

Lets all take the paper bag test to see what side we should line up on.

SmokyDave

Black Gaf, has anyone come across a Ms Morello type character in their life? always wanted to know why they act/feel this way lmao

Ms. Morello: It looks like you're going to Tattaglia after all.

Chris: But this isn't fair!

Ms. Morello: I know, but always remember this: When you get to the other side of the river, the streets of heaven will be lined with gold for you, me, and all God's chilluns.

She's fucking awesome.

Top Bottom