• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

I kinda feel where you're coming from. I'm 27, have a great job in IT and purchased a home 2 years ago. But I have this weird feeling that I'm never doing enough, should be further along, etc etc. #shrug IMO, I think that some of it stems from not being introduced to other ways of moving ahead. For example, I'm not well versed in the stockmarket and I feel like I'm lagging far behind.

Take a finance class at a local college, non credit. It will do you a WORLD of good.

JGS

Banned
I'm 'bout to watch the Help. Last movie I watched was Monster's Ball and I found it offensive, so let's see what the Help has to offer, beyond black mammy characters white people can gush about.
I thought it was good. The worst part was the
pie scenes
which made me dislike Octavia's character way more than I was supposed to. They really only had one mammy character.

Precious.
I felt physically ill watching that film.

the director of it, Lee Daniels, is behind Monster's Ball too. His seems to like putting black people in obscene or grotesque situations to draw attention to his films. He definitely has an agenda. One of his interviews, he admits to having an axe to grind against the black community for some pretty hardcore abuse he took as a gay man. so I guess making films with pathologically backwards black people is cathartic for him.

What exactly was so bad about it?

Slayven

Got new glasses today, felt guilty because the girl helping me was so nice and I had to work so hard not to stare at her large breasts.

ffdgh

Came for a visit and this ad appeared.....
811d196ac8da4b8ca4431ae.png

JGS

Banned
I wonder who'll be the next black male to win an Oscar.
Will Smith
Anthony Mackie (He was better then Renner in Hurt Locker)
Eddie Murphy could get one if he started being serious like in Dreamgirls

There's always Denzel & Samuel Jackson.

The Oscars seem to go for veterans on the male side and new/young people on the female side. Probably just a phase.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Will Smith

The Oscars seem to go for veterans on the male side and new/young people on the female side. Probably just a phase.
Has he been in anything new? I thought he did a great job in Hurt Locker.

Onemic

Watched Precious. Totally fucked up movie, but I'd still watch it over the blindside or the help any day of the week.(well...depending on how much I'm willing to stomach) Something about the latter two movies rubs me slightly the wrong way.

DY_nasty

Watched Precious. Totally fucked up movie, but I'd still watch it over the blindside or the help any day of the week.(well...depending on how much I'm willing to stomach) Something about the latter two movies rubs me slightly the wrong way.
You don't want a white woman to save you? What's wrong with you?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Will Smith

i have high ass hopes for mackie. hopefully he can get a role to put him over the top.

$hawty

Banned
Cedric the Entertainer seriously should have gotten at least nominated for his old man role in Barbershop. Like damn, he pulled that old dude off perfectly.

Mackie is a pretty awful actor IMO. He was good in Hurt Locker but has sucked in everything else I've seen him in. Especially We Are Marshall. His character was so friggin annoying.

JGS

Banned
Parallax said:
i have high ass hopes for mackie. hopefully he can get a role to put him over the top.
He's in a lot of movies but stays second fiddle. He needs a starring role. Give him everything that wuld go to Jamie Foxx lol.

The last thing I saw him in was Adjustment Bureau, but I think he was in Real Steel too.

Another I used to think had a shot was Lorenz Tate, but he's no where to be seen now.

blind side could have been good if it wasnt so exaggerated. the real story wasnt as crazy as that was it? like his small country momma went to the ghetto and stole him back from a gang?

Onemic

I've seen Why did I Get Married, but that's only because I was forced to watch it in high school for one of my sociology classes. That's pretty much all the Tyler Perry I can take.

Imm0rt4l

I like Sandra Bullock fine, but Academy award winner Sandra Bullock doesn't sound right to me at all. I don't even think Blindside was Oscar worthy really.

Am i the only person who has not seen a tyler perry film? This shit seems too funny. From the Boondocks and what i have heard from men and women i should stay clear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRfDgnapUAw

I'm pretty sure I've seen diary of a mad black woman, only movie though.

He was in some indie flick called night catches us iirc, that was the last I've seen of him.

I've seen The Family That Preys, Madea's Family Reunion, Madea Goes to Jail, and Meet the Browns.

I want to see Good Deeds. It doesn't look like Tyler's usual shtick, but maybe I'm being delusional.

Not really feeling the Help. I really wasnt entertained. It wasnt really offensive, so much as it was patronizing and ultimately, boring.

every white woman in this movie, minus the red head and this great looking blonde who shows up later in this movie, is written as a nauseating racist though, so maybe that's their way of balancing out the black mammy/magical negro dynamic they have going on.
Some people accuse Spike Lee of hatin' on white folks in his films, but even the white people in malcolm x and bamboozled werent as disgustingly racist as the line up of southern belles in the Help, lol. they went all in, with the women at least.
But really, enough is enough with these types of movies. it's 2012.
every time i see one of these types films, I feel like applauding Denzel and his decision to play the same sturdy, hero character over and over and over again. better that than roles hollywood usually gives us.

DY_nasty

I saw Family Reunion, and... ugh

I got some cheap laughs from it but other than the "finally someone is helping black actors (and that one girl, hnnnnnnng)" i was good never seeing it, or another tyler perry film, ever again.

I seem to only see his movies when family gets together and they decide to watch it. That's the only reason I ended up watching his plays. Daddy's Little Girls is probably the only one I really enjoyed though.

I remember watching his tv show once. Awful!

Slayven

I read the wiki on precious and it sounds shit. Probably won't watch it.

Did you try to get her number?

Yous trying to get me hang for talking to a white woman? You get from around heer with that, get from around heer!!!

Nah, she talked about her boyfriend.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I've only seen the family that preys and one of his stage shows on tape. The family that preys is fucked up. I've never seen one character do another one that wrong without murder involved, or the words lifetime in the bottom right corner.

Slayven

I've only seen the family that preys and one of his stage shows on tape. The family that preys is fucked up. I've never seen one character do another one that wrong without murder involved, or the words lifetime in the bottom right corner.

Man I love me some lifetime movies.

Top Bottom