• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Man I love me some lifetime movies.
so you can see how badly they can paint a dude, then have his significant other leave him, struggle and then find success, along with another man? Its the perfected tyler perry plan.

Slayven

so you can see how badly they can paint a dude, then have his significant other leave him, struggle and then find success, along with another man? Its the perfected tyler perry plan.

Yeah, Perry only added church tot he formula. But Lifetime had that shit for years. They do have one movie where the man gets beat by the mom from "Who's the Boss" and can't get people to believe him.

Yeah, Perry only added church tot he formula. But Lifetime had that shit for years. They do have one movie where the man gets beat by the mom from "Who's the Boss" and can't get people to believe him.
Which mom, Judith Light or Katherine Helmond? Cuz back in the day when I watched that show I would have let the former beat me silly real talk.

Tyler Perry = Black Lifetime... I can't unsee it now.
Sold.

Actually watched a couple this weekend and.....they weren't bad. Why did I get married was cool and the gf and I area actually looking forward to watching the squeal. I watched "Not Easily Broken" and that was kinda meh.

Showed her Black Dynamite and she LOVED IT, I need to checkout the cartoon sometime.

Actually watched a couple this weekend and.....they weren't bad. Why did I get married was cool and the gf and I area actually looking forward to watching the squeal. I watched "Not Easily Broken" and that was kinda meh.

Showed her Black Dynamite and she LOVED IT, I need to checkout the cartoon sometime.
I liked both of those movies but I loved Black Dynamite. I have been into movies like The Mack and Superfly for a while now and seeing a parody of these movies in Black Dynamite was hilarious.

You're not even an adult Crazy, you're too young to die. Unsubscribe and pretend it didn't happen. A good debate is fine, but on the internets 90% of the time, and this is from someone who used to troll newsgroups when you were ... 7 lol, it is usually not worth slogging it out.

I'm not even that into to it. Just trying to figure out what the people in there mean. Definitely not trying to get banned. Ha ha.

I'm not even that into to it. Just trying to figure out what the people in there mean. Definitely not trying to get banned. Ha ha.
That's what I mean, you get sucked into the vortex unwittingly hah... Especially with hot button threads. Best just to assume the best of things unless it's clearly and superficially fucked up.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I love a good debate man. I might stick it out for a couple more posts. And damn you get that well spoken bs too.

I tell people my job description and their eyes light up. They almost want to say "how did a colored boy get that job - and how the fuck did he finish in the top of his class?" but they don't.

I tell people my job description and their eyes light up. They almost want to say "how did a colored boy get that job - and how the fuck did he finish in the top of his class?" but they don't.

I get that when telling people where I want to go to school and study. And a lot of time it's from black people too.

DY_nasty

I get that when telling people where I want to go to school and study. And a lot of time it's from black people too.

Its weird how it works in the military. Most black people I've run into, even if we don't speak, give me the "I completely understand bro - just ask if you need me" look.

Its kinda awesome in a way, but ...strange at the same time.

DY_nasty

There is some shit on Gaf you can't be honest with, even if it is not hurtful, you will be called a bigot or whatever.

Yeah, I'm insensitive, heartless bastard because I value a human's life over a dog's. Stuff like that.

Its weird how it works in the military. Most black people I've run into, even if we don't speak, give me the "I completely understand bro - just ask if you need me" look.

Its kinda awesome in a way, but ...strange at the same time.

I have a friend who is a Captain in the USAF and gets this a lot. As a non-black dude, I feel for you, though I can't imagine what that is like. I've never had white people, or my fellow beige persons, act surprised when I speak or act in a certain manner.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

Seriously...you should see the reactions when I tell folks I'm a librarian...almost as if the ghost of Lincoln is standing behind me or something

LMAO, reminds me of that Brother Mouzone quote.

new-york-public-library_300.jpg

Ya'll know DAMN well you see a transgender thread you don't even open it, much less post in it.

why not? all you have to do is respond like you have some sense and respect other people, it's not tough!

Even though we made it through black history month, I feel like we're in an endless loop like Groundhogs day, stuck on the 29th.

"Should Homophobes Really be Hated?"

yep, timeloop confirmed.

Congrats dude. Are you going to go?

I'm not sure I'm still waiting on a couple decisions from other schools. But if I get a scholarship for soccer I most likely won't have to pay anything. The funny thing is my chiropractor keeps telling me about her 3 cute,smart cousins who are going there.

DY_nasty

If you go to a HBCU... just stay level, man.

That's all I can say. I went and I've said plenty of times how it changed my opinions on lots of things, in some good ways and in some bad ways, but there is a definite clear difference in environments.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I'm not sure I'm still waiting on a couple decisions from other schools. But if I get a scholarship for soccer I most likely won't have to pay anything. The funny thing is my chiropractor keeps telling me about her 3 cute,smart cousins who are going there.

something something "crazydogg" joke something something

Edit: about HCBU's: keep your head above water, if you get my drift. I went to Xavier LA which was 80% female...there was surely something for everyone. And from that, I saw many of my dudes righteously crash and burn. If you go don't forget what you're going for. But enjoy yourself as well!

That's all I can say. I went and I've said plenty of times how it changed my opinions on lots of things, in some good ways and in some bad ways, but there is a definite clear difference in environments.

You went to Johnson C. Smith right?

Door2Dawn

Banned

What were the bad ways? Spill it.

DY_nasty

You went to Johnson C. Smith right?
Yeah. The school has done a LOT of renovating (both the buildings and the people) since I've left, but I did a lot of traveling between being a part of student government, community work, frat, and sports out there.
What were the bad ways? Spill it.
It comes from 3 big things and those things just spill out and mesh into a lot of other issues...

1) a lot of people, both faculty and student body, shouldn't be there
2) networking is prioritized over education and professionalism (probably the biggest issue in my eyes)
3) you're going to be in a bad neighborhood. every HBCU is.

Yeah. The school has done a LOT of renovating (both the buildings and the people) since I've left, but I did a lot of traveling between being a part of student government, community work, frat, and sports out there.

It comes from 3 big things and those things just spill out and mesh into a lot of other issues...

1) a lot of people, both faculty and student body, shouldn't be there
2) networking is prioritized over education and professionalism (probably the biggest issue in my eyes)
3) you're going to be in a bad neighborhood. every HBCU is.

Or else you are in the middle of nowhere. Beatty's Ford Road is so messed up.

FreeMufasa

I've been to Ukraine,Prague, and Serbia and had a great time. The women o_O.

don't let some racist assholes stop you from enjoying life.

Yeah. Have you ever been to Instanbul? I haven't and really want to go.

You'll be fine anywhere in western and northern Europe. Eastern Europe is also beautiful but probably best you avoid smaller towns. Besides that just take general advice when visiting E.Europe like how to notice a pickpocketer.

As it's your first time, i'd say the UK, France and Spain would be great first places to visit.

DY_nasty

Or else you are in the middle of nowhere. Beatty's Ford Road is so messed up.

You've seen it? LOL

Its hilarious how Trade St. and the beautiful layout of Uptown Charlotte aren't even a full mile away from most of the most fucked up and neglected areas in North Carolina.

Top Bottom