• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

You've seen it? LOL

Its hilarious how Trade St. and the beautiful layout of Uptown Charlotte aren't even a full mile away from most of the most fucked up and neglected areas in North Carolina.

Dude I live like 45 minutes from Charlotte. I've visited JCSU twice and been there for this football camp my brother went too twice. And yeah it's a big shock coming from Uptown to there.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Dude I live like 45 minutes from Charlotte. I've visited JCSU twice and been there for this football camp my brother went too twice.
You go to any games? I was playing football there when we won games for the first time (then got assstomped by Tuskegee) and basketball when we won the CIAA tourney.

You might remember me from my blatant thuggery on the court and as the safety who said "Fullback running downfield with a full head of steam? fuck that lol"

You go to any games? I was playing football there when we won games for the first time (then got assstomped by Tuskegee) and basketball when we won the CIAA tourney.

You might remember me from my blatant thuggery on the court and as the safety who said "Fullback running downfield with a full head of steam? fuck that lol"

I never went to any games. The first time I went there was 2010 I think for my brother's thing. And first time I visited was later that year with a program I'm in that takes us on tours of HBCUs. Honestly before that program the only schools I knew were USC,UNC,and Duke oh and maybe NC State. I didn't know anything about college.

Anybody other than me an Assassins Creed fan?

DY_nasty

I never went to any games. The first time I went there was 2010 I think for my brother's thing. And first time I visited was later that year with a program I'm in that takes us on tours of HBCUs. Honestly before that program the only schools I knew were USC,UNC,and Duke oh and maybe NC State. I didn't know anything about college.

I can't Assassins Creed for more than a few hours before I trade it in. I love it but... :/

Just be open though man. A lot of people see black colleges as a stepping stone or transition spot... keep your options open and stay above the bullshit.

$hawty

Banned

My friend lives in Charlotte and was talking about the CIAA being really fun with women down for the cause everywhere.....is this true?

I can't Assassins Creed for more than a few hours before I trade it in. I love it but... :/

Just be open though man. A lot of people see black colleges as a stepping stone or transition spot... keep your options open and stay above the bullshit.

Oh yeah I'm definitely keeping my options open especially since HBCUs are giving me big scholarships and my parents don't have a lot of money to drop on my education.

Oh yeah I'm definitely keeping my options open especially since HBCUs are giving me big scholarships and my parents don't have a lot of money to drop on my education.

Hey congratulations man. I'm sure you'll make the best choice for yourself. You sound like a smart kid. Helluva lot smarter than me at that age anyhow.

---

So I'm seeing a new dentist early today. Keep in mind, I don't know anything about the place going in. Anyhow, the waiting room looks legit and eventually I get taken to one of those scary dentist care rooms by the dental assistance (I am terrified dental work) and I get a glimpse of the dentist in another room. I'm thinking, "oh cool, a black dentist". So as I am getting 'comfortable' and giving the assistant my information I hear the dentist talking in the hallway and I shit you not, he's all like, "yo, we're slow-motion this morning" to one of the assistants and "alright, stay cool" to a patient. Now I know this is wrong, but I am immediately frightened for my life. I don't want my dentist having swag. This isn't fucking Scrubs, I want a very nerdy dentist. To make matters worse he comes into the room rubs his hands together and goes, "alright, let's get this crackin". I don't want anything 'crackin', I'm a punk in the dentist's chair.

Ended up not hurting a bit. By far one of the better dental care experiences I've ever had

DY_nasty

My friend lives in Charlotte and was talking about the CIAA being really fun with women down for the cause everywhere.....is this true?
Yes yes yes. oh gawd yes
Hey congratulations man. I'm sure you'll make the best choice for yourself. You sound like a smart kid. Helluva lot smarter than me at that age anyhow.

Yeah... I was feeling myself entirely too hard at that age. I would've called Morpheus a bitch to his face.

zero_suit

---

So I'm seeing a new dentist early today. Keep in mind, I don't know anything about the place going in. Anyhow, the waiting room looks legit and eventually I get taken to one of those scary dentist care rooms by the dental assistance (I am terrified dental work) and I get a glimpse of the dentist in another room. I'm thinking, "oh cool, a black dentist". So as I am getting 'comfortable' and giving the assistant my information I hear the dentist talking in the hallway and I shit you not, he's all like, "yo, we're slow-motion this morning" to one of the assistants and "alright, stay cool" to a patient. Now I know this is wrong, but I am immediately frightened for my life. I don't want my dentist having swag. This isn't fucking Scrubs, I want a very nerdy dentist. To make matters worse he comes into the room rubs his hands together and goes, "alright, let's get this crackin". I don't want anything 'crackin', I'm a punk in the dentist's chair.

Ended up not hurting a bit. By far one of the better dental care experiences I've ever had

He sounds awesome.

I'll second DY_Nasty's post. I've heard that too from some of my friends. I could have gotten tickets by applying to VSU but that's a little too trap or die for me.

Slayven

---

What if he had came in through the window like Brotha Man from the 5th floor?

DY_nasty

I'll second DY_Nasty's post. I've heard that too from some of my friends. I could have gotten tickets by applying to VSU but that's a little too trap or die for me.

Dude, I'm Omega and on the basketball team for JCSU who's practically hosting the whole event through several different venues.

Words don't even describe how much I went IN back then.

Love AssCreed, but I was really disappointed with Revelations' gameplay. Great story, though.
What if he had came in through the window like Brotha Man from the 5th floor?

KuGsj.gif

Heck no. I'm never that comfortable in the dentist's chair.

III? Is there a new character? Man I've been slipping on the gaming info ever since getting Skyrim. It is my gaming life.

Yeah there is a new character. Supposedly he's half Native American half Colonist. Set during the American Revolution. I love Skyrim but the enemy leveling is just destroying me

akira28

I haven't seen the new TP joint, but I have to wonder if the more serious tone, and the more conventional story is a sign that Tyler tasted the venom Spike Lee was shooting his way?

Has anybody else had the experience of being one of a few Black people in your advanced courses in your school?

haha, I had the pleasant experience of being 1 of 5 black people in graduate level statistics, and seeing the other four slowly drop that hard ass class over the first 3 weeks.

now THAT'S pressure

Lebron

I tell people my job description and their eyes light up. They almost want to say "how did a colored boy get that job - and how the fuck did he finish in the top of his class?" but they don't.
I walked out my research Organic lab the other week and ran into some visitors with my durag on(early mourning kunta hair) and I could see the puzzled look on their faces on how this simple boy is allowed to roam free like this, even more puzzled when I saw them again in my presentation after they realized the person they came to hear present was in fact the hoodlum. The greatest of swag feelings. Even tried to ask some of the dumbest questions I've ever heard to try and get me to fuck up, didn't work that time. Mentor even mentioned how they were getting bad vibes off them towards me and was confused on what I did wrong. I'm just like, I don't know either lol They mad

Has anybody else had the experience of being one of a few Black people in your advanced courses in your school?
I was lone wolf in most of my math and science classes. The few times I wasn't I was normally the only non-African in there.

Bleepey

Lol. All you smart, overachieving MF'ers. Let me just say it is my honor to be the one to drag you down Negro-GAF.

I wish i was smart, i am just kinda lucky and can talk a good game. It was weird, from my secondery school where there were tonnes of black guys in science and maths classes (pretty much all the Nigerians barring maybe one dude (from winning a maths prize and being in top set to doing shit, i don't understand what happened there) didn't do at least 2 science subjects or maths) to undergrad where there were 2 of us black guys and the girls outnumbered us 3/4-1. From the medical school it was about the same. It was in line with the UK population and one could argue it was Carribeans that were underrepresented but the S.Asians weren't fucking around so it was something to think about. Postgrad was less lonely, maybe cos my new university's much bigger but there were way more black people in my campus than in the whole of my very small undergrad school. Being one of the few black guys is a reminder when you are fucking up.

Top Bottom